What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass Shootings Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gun guy: hey I want to buy that AR-15 rifle there, but I'm afraid the Dems are going to ban assault rifles. 

Store owner: here buy it with a short barrel with no stock and technically it's a handgun. I can sell you a longer barrel and stock separately 

Gun guy: cool 

Judging from posts in here, I would think that republicans would be all over mental health issues - it would probably take the heat off the guns a bit, and it would help out military vets a lot.   Is this just a talking point, or is there some big road block for making this a primary focus?  

Gun guy: hey I want to buy that AR-15 rifle there, but I'm afraid the Dems are going to ban assault rifles. 

Store owner: here buy it with a short barrel with no stock and technically it's a handgun. I can sell you a longer barrel and stock separately 

No. 

An AR-15 ban would ban AR platform pistols as well, as they use the same lower receiver, which is the part of the weapon that requires background checks.  

Again, I encourage people to understand the topic before attempting to speak from a position of authority. 

Judging from posts in here, I would think that republicans would be all over mental health issues - it would probably take the heat off the guns a bit, and it would help out military vets a lot.   Is this just a talking point, or is there some big road block for making this a primary focus?  
I'm not a Republican but I'd love to see more resources dedicated to mental health diagnosis and treatment... with a good chunk earmarked for vets. 

Id also love police / feds to do a better job of looking into it teachers/family report that someone is behaving like someone who is going to shoot people.

Lot of these incidents have glaring warning signs in advance.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, that's not how it works or what I said.  

I'm not a Republican but I'd love to see more resources dedicated to mental health diagnosis and treatment... with a good chunk earmarked for vets. 
For sure.  I am just posting that is has been talked about a lot, and after a lot of the talking and stat digging I became less convinced that addressing it from that side would do as much as we think it would.  It probably needs to be a combo of really tackling the mental health side and the gun side.  

Yes, certain assault weapons restrictions have tried to define restricted guns based on a combination of components.   That's not the typical approach to current legislation since it creates too many loopholes.   

The vast majority of AR-15s are not handguns, so it is not a red herring.   You are referring to a relatively small exception, which can actually be regulated.   
I believe I just heard on the news that the Boulder shooter used one of these AR-15 handguns.

I believe I just heard on the news that the Boulder shooter used one of these AR-15 handguns.
Based on Icon’s post, it wouldn’t matter.  I’m not sure what the Boulder law that was just struck down said.  I’ll have to look.  But if there was no ban at the time he purchased the gun, so it doesn’t really matter.  Closing loopholes in future legislation would.

Based on Icon’s post, it wouldn’t matter.  I’m not sure what the Boulder law that was just struck down said.  I’ll have to look.  But if there was no ban at the time he purchased the gun, so it doesn’t really matter.  Closing loopholes in future legislation would.
Did the shooter buy his gun in Boulder? The ban was a city ban not state. The shooter was from Arvada. 

Hey fish, tim and anyone else interested in the 2A government tyranny angle - I found this panel discussion. Pretty interesting.  Well worth the hour.  https://youtu.be/CvOOtFJvS84
no thanks.  I’ve studied this stuff.  I have a degree in law. I’ve read everything Hamilton and Madison wrote in the 2a, an I volunteered time to the organization that wrote Washington State’s gun control legislation.  I don’t need to watch you video to know you don’t know what you’re talking about.

No. 

An AR-15 ban would ban AR platform pistols as well, as they use the same lower receiver, which is the part of the weapon that requires background checks.  

Again, I encourage people to understand the topic before attempting to speak from a position of authority. 
Hey you're the gun guy. But fish said you cant possibly ban handguns, at all.  So?  

Fine buy 80%s and finish yourself. 

Pssst. My whole point is that they cant even get universal back ground checks passed. How the hell are the going to ban all these type of guns and then go get the 20+ million that are already out there?  Hint- they arent. 

Was Rachel Maddow crying?  She is beside herself. Is she always like this?

Biden - I cant wait another minute, let alone another hour. Joe, nothing is going to happen in a hour. 

MSNBC/CNN gun control now!   FOX, they are coming for your guns.  

Executive Branch, House and slim majority in the Senate are owned by the blue team. Anything you wish to be done the next two years are owned by them.  Dont hold your breath on any of it. 

Hey you're the gun guy. But fish said you cant possibly ban handguns, at all.  So?  

Fine buy 80%s and finish yourself. 

Pssst. My whole point is that they cant even get universal back ground checks passed. How the hell are the going to ban all these type of guns and then go get the 20+ million that are already out there?  Hint- they arent. 
Right.  That’s what I said before.  Nothing is getting passed at the federal level.

Right.  That’s what I said before.  Nothing is getting passed at the federal level.
Can we get a ruling on AR-15 handguns because you said:

Yes, certain assault weapons restrictions have tried to define restricted guns based on a combination of components.   That's not the typical approach to current legislation since it creates too many loopholes.   

Back on topic please. Gun regulation is just a big red herring.  

Social media shows this guy is lefty, trump hating, Serian born Muslim.  

Terrorist hate crime against white America!  

Can we get a ruling on AR-15 handguns because you said:
As icon mentioned above, the component is that makes it an AR 15 defined under federal law as a rifle.  I wasn’t aware of that, but it makes sense.  Previous assault weapon legislation was defined based on components.  Current legislation defines it differently.

As icon mentioned above, the component is that makes it an AR 15 defined under federal law as a rifle.  I wasn’t aware of that, but it makes sense.  Previous assault weapon legislation was defined based on components.  Current legislation defines it differently.
No he didnt. 

An AR platform weapon with a sub 16" barrel that does not have a stock is classified with the ATF as a pistol. That is not the case for media and counting stats that are being quoted in here. 

People should probably actually understand what they're pushing to ban before they ban it. 
If you cant follow along I'm not going to be asking you for your autograph. 

In the end these arguments are always prevalent from the extreme minority on this issue: 

1. I need my AR-15 because if the government becomes tyrannical, I can fight them off forever from the woods behind my backyard. (Oh and the definition of a tyrannical government is...um...one that tries to take away my AR-15!)

2. I don’t really need to buy an AR-15 because if I wanted to I could create my own with a small tool kit and a few household products! Therefore it’s dumb to try to take it away because I’ll own one anyhow. 

3. Before the Nazis murdered all the Jews, they took their AR-15s away. If we ban them the same thing could happen here! 

4. My uncle was killed by a hit and run driver. Why don’t we ban Toyotas? 

5. I know an old lady in Idaho and 20 members of Antifa tried to break into her house. Luckily Grandma pulled out her M4 and wasted those BLM folks! 

Wrong icon post. 

but knock yourself out:

https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

there was a cease and desist from the ATF that was suspended until after the election.  I don’t think there’s been any action since
Are you saying Icon contracticted himself, because I didnt see that. 

I was going to say I didnt need to read that to say you dont know what you are talking about, but then I read it. I think you are ready to concede your red herring argument now.  Yes?  

In the end these arguments are always prevalent from the extreme minority on this issue: 

1. I need my AR-15 because if the government becomes tyrannical, I can fight them off forever from the woods behind my backyard. (Oh and the definition of a tyrannical government is...um...one that tries to take away my AR-15!)

2. I don’t really need to buy an AR-15 because if I wanted to I could create my own with a small tool kit and a few household products! Therefore it’s dumb to try to take it away because I’ll own one anyhow. 

3. Before the Nazis murdered all the Jews, they took their AR-15s away. If we ban them the same thing could happen here! 

5. I know an old lady in Idaho and 20 members of Antifa tried to break into her house. Luckily Grandma pulled out her M4 and wasted those BLM folks! 
No  if you paid any attention at all to the discussion it's about whether if its even possible.

It's not. 

Nothing to do with the random thoughts in your head as per usual. 

The original intent of 2A was to have a civilian check on Governmental tyranny.  Semi automatic rifles are a check on that.  Pistols aren’t.  Another reason is a mob showing up in your neighborhood.
Hey @-fish- - this is the post that started our debate.  You stated that everything in this post was wrong, and in subsequent posts you cited Heller.  I just read Heller from start to finish and it confirms what I said above.  It goes on to say that the right to keep and bear arms isn’t just a collective right of militia members but an individual right as well.  Here’s just one of many sections that support what I said above:

The debate with respect to the right to keep and bear arms, as with other guarantees in the Bill of Rights, was not over whether it was desirable (all agreed that it was) but over whether it needed to be codified in the Constitution. During the 1788 ratification debates, the fear that the federal government would disarm the people in order to impose rule through a standing army or select militia was pervasive in Antifederalist rhetoric. See, e.g., Letters from The Federal Farmer III (Oct. 10, 1787), in 2 The Complete Anti-Federalist 234, 242 (H. Storing ed. 1981). John Smilie, for example, worried not only that Congress’s “command of the militia” could be used to create a “select militia,” or to have “no militia at all,” but also, as a separate concern, that “[w]hen a select militia is formed; the people in general may be disarmed.” 2 Documentary History of the Ratification of the Constitution 508–509 (M. Jensen ed. 1976) (hereinafter Documentary Hist.). Federalists responded that because Congress was given no power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, such a force could never oppress the people. See, e.g., A Pennsylvanian III (Feb. 20, 1788), in The Origin of the Second Amendment 275, 276 (D. Young ed., 2d ed. 2001) (hereinafter Young); White, To the Citizens of Virginia, Feb. 22, 1788, in id., at 280, 281; A Citizen of America, (Oct. 10, 1787) in id., at 38, 40; Remarks on the Amendments to the federal Constitution, Nov. 7, 1788, in id., at 556. It was understood across the political spectrum that the right helped to secure the ideal of a citizen militia, which might be necessary to oppose an oppressive military force if the constitutional order broke down.

It is therefore entirely sensible that the Second Amendment ’s prefatory clause announces the purpose for which the right was codified: to prevent elimination of the militia. The prefatory clause does not suggest that preserving the militia was the only reason Americans valued the ancient right; most undoubtedly thought it even more important for self-defense and hunting. But the threat that the new Federal Government would destroy the citizens’ militia by taking away their arms was the reason that right—unlike some other English rights—was codified in a written Constitution.

No  if you paid any attention at all to the discussion it's about whether if its even possible.

It's not

Nothing to do with the random thoughts in your head as per usual. 
some form of 1, 2, 4, and 5 has been brought up in either this thread or in the gun control thread.  

You stated this before. You’re going to have to explain how a semi-automatic rifle would be a check on a tyrannical government, given the current military power of the United States. How long do you think you can hold out? 
In your vast experience with the military and those who actually, make up, just how many of the rank and file do you think would fire on US citizens if they thought that there was an attack on the US Constitution being perpetrated by politicians?

Just how many machine gunners....tank commanders....riflemen, and pilots both active, reserve, and National Guard, currently sworn to support the Constitution (not a political party) do you think would support a tyrannical government?

Forget the politically motivated Generals....there are plenty of field grade officers who aren't.
I'm talking about the ones that YOU claim would quell any uprising.

You know absolutely nothing about it....so, sound off.

I say that if it got to that point, they are the ones who would lead any uprising.

Not initially, I agree.  But the sentiment is certainly there to limit purchases, restrict capacity, drastically elongate the process of buying a handgun moving forward.  
Still not going to happen. 

But if the is ridiculous to you, then yeah-  there is probably a lot of people that hold that position.  Those things are not close to a door to door gun grab though, but the fear of that is put out there to slow the process of the small changes.  

FYI - my daughter’s ex-boyfriend did number two in my state where ar-15 are banned in about 30 minutes.  

I have seen zero discussion on hate crimes on the latest shooting.  When an Arab shoot shoots a bunch of white people shouldn't we be discussing hate crimes?  

I have seen zero discussion on hate crimes on the latest shooting.  When an Arab shoot shoots a bunch of white people shouldn't we be discussing hate crimes?  
Weren’t you just complaining last week with the Atlanta shooting about how they always rush to call these shootings racist before even getting the full facts? No care to wait now though because it fits the agenda for your side, right? It’s almost like you’re just as guilty of doing the same exact garbage you claim to hate.

Still not going to happen. 

But if the is ridiculous to you, then yeah-  there is probably a lot of people that hold that position.  Those things are not close to a door to door gun grab though, but the fear of that is put out there to slow the process of the small changes.  
I never said they were.  No one in this thread said they were.  

I never said they were.  No one in this thread said they were.  
I said there is not going to be a handgun grab, and you replied with "not initially".    

I guess I should have been more clear - I am talking about people confiscating guns like the fear and slippery slope people seem to insinuate is going to happen.  You could mean something else by "handgun grab".  

Weren’t you just complaining last week with the Atlanta shooting about how they always rush to call these shootings racist before even getting the full facts? No care to wait now though because it fits the agenda for your side, right? It’s almost like you’re just as guilty of doing the same exact garbage you claim to hate.
Exactly.  Can we get a ruling if we are tired of having everything to do with race or not?   Basically it's just constant posts about the crappy "MSM" from some people around here no matter how they handle it.    I find it interesting that most don't reply to questions about where they get there info, it's just "MSM bad!".    

:lmao: Sarcasm to point out the hypocrisy and you jumped in head first. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread