Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking of planting a couple pear trees in my yard next year. Looks like we'll need two separate cultivars in fairly close proximity to each other for fertilization and fruiting. Looking most likely at a European variety for hardiness to endure cold WI winters.

Anyone have experience growing fruit trees?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i think pears are neat because they have a cool shape so i salute you and wish you luck and good fortune in your fruit raising endeavors take that to the bank brohan 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had several avocados over the years and always lost them to a freeze or hurricane. Had very productive banana trees but they cause way too much damage. Currently have lime, meyer lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, fig, papaya.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I've had several avocados over the years and always lost them to a freeze or hurricane. Had very productive banana trees but they cause way too much damage. Currently have lime, meyer lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, fig, papaya.

That's awesome. Are you planting and raising all these trees? How much work do you have to do pruning, watering, etc.?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have apple, pear, cherry, plumb and peach trees of different varieties. Also have raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, goji berry, hardy kiwi, and one paw paw tree. 
I also have a strawberry patch. 
 

The only fruit I have any trouble with is the peaches.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lardonastick said:

That's awesome. Are you planting and raising all these trees? How much work do you have to do pruning, watering, etc.?

I prune them in the fall/winter just after the last harvest but before the first cold snap produces buds.  I keep them trimmed low for easy picking. I have an irrigation system for water. They are very susceptible to disease so I have to wash them occasionally but I've gotten to the point where I just replace the ones that die. The lemons and limes are by far the most prolific of the citrus.

The papayas are out of control. I bought a papaya at a fruit stand last March and threw the seeds in a pot as an afterthought. They grew like crazy so I planted four of them and they are now roughly 10' tall and 10" circumference trunks and loaded with huge fruit. The problem is, I've realized no one really likes papaya all that much.  Myself included. They're like zucchinis are up north. I can't give them away.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

I've had several avocados over the years and always lost them to a freeze or hurricane. Had very productive banana trees but they cause way too much damage. Currently have lime, meyer lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, fig, papaya.

hey this is a help out lardstick with his fruit thread not brag about all your fruit ok mr fruuitypants take that to the bank bromigo   

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lardonastick said:

I'm thinking of planting a couple pear trees in my yard next year. Looks like we'll need two separate cultivars in fairly close proximity to each other for fertilization and fruiting. Looking most likely at a European variety for hardiness to endure cold WI winters.

Anyone have experience growing fruit trees?

I have two Pear trees ( male/female), 3 Apple trees and planted a "dwarf-north-star-cherry" last year.
This goes along with my 12 Grape Vines for Wine.. We tend to have so much fruit from the trees that I make some pear/apple wine out of them also.. 

Two things to prepare for up here ... Japanese Beetles and Downey mildew. Both have ruined many a crop.

I found spraying every 10-12 days early in the growing season for the Beetles works best.. After that I just watch for any return 🐛 and spray again.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

We had a few apple trees but I cut them down. They're ugly and the apples just rot and attract bees.

 

Great smoking wood at least.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 2:00 PM, Ron Swanson said:

I prune them in the fall/winter just after the last harvest but before the first cold snap produces buds.  I keep them trimmed low for easy picking. I have an irrigation system for water. They are very susceptible to disease so I have to wash them occasionally but I've gotten to the point where I just replace the ones that die. The lemons and limes are by far the most prolific of the citrus.

The papayas are out of control. I bought a papaya at a fruit stand last March and threw the seeds in a pot as an afterthought. They grew like crazy so I planted four of them and they are now roughly 10' tall and 10" circumference trunks and loaded with huge fruit. The problem is, I've realized no one really likes papaya all that much.  Myself included. They're like zucchinis are up north. I can't give them away.

Strawberry papayas are so much better than normal papayas. The normal ones are decent for smoothies, but the strawberry ones have amazing flavor and great for breakfast with fresh lime juiced onto them. I wish it was warm enough here to grow them.

Edited by madshot31
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, madshot31 said:

Strawberry papayas are so much better than normal papayas. The normal ones are decent for smoothies, but the strawberry ones have amazing flavor and great for breakfast with fresh lime juiced onto them. I wish it was warm enough here to grow them.

Looks like I have a new Papaya growing quest. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Looks like I have a new Papaya growing quest. Thanks!

I also love various versions of Pluots. Apricot/Plum combo that have great flavors from sweet to tart with the hardiness of plums.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, madshot31 said:

I also love various versions of Pluots. Apricot/Plum combo that have great flavors from sweet to tart with the hardiness of plums.

Nice try, pal.  No way you get me to google "pluot seeds".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...