What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers jump up to #3 pick in draft (2 Viewers)

Pitts may generational, but teams don't move mountains to draft a TE. The only TE selected in the Top 5 in the SB era was Riley Odoms by Denver in 1972 (with the 5th pick).
While true, the league has definitely changed how they use TEs in more recent history.

Now every team wants the next Kelce/Kittle/Waller. They’re just such a dominant mismatch.!

I could see a team moving up for that. 

What if it’s SF? :o  

I’m laughing because 1. It would be a pretty terrible pick. And 2. It would be completely awesome to see kittle/Pitt/Aiyuk/Debo as the top 4 niners receivers. 

(I hope folks realize this is tongue & cheek, cuz I have neither the time nor inclination to defend those ridiculous assertions) 

While true, the league has definitely changed how they use TEs in more recent history.

Now every team wants the next Kelce/Kittle/Waller. They’re just such a dominant mismatch.!

I could see a team moving up for that. 

What if it’s SF? :o  
Of course, TE's are much more a thing now than ever before. But Gronk was pick 42. Kelce was pick 63. Kittle was pick 146. Gates was an UDFA. Vernon Davis, TJ Hockenson, and Eric Ebron were Top 10 picks. Tight ends are important, but the recent stars have not been early draft picks.

Starting to get the feeling that news is out that the Jets are taking Fields.  Could be wrong.  But reports were that Philly was trying to move up to #3 for Wilson.  And I can't see 4 teams calling Miami about that #3 pick if it was going to be for Lance. 

I get Kyle likes Lance, but this move makes a lot of sense if the news leaked on the Jets taking Fields and teams were all in on Wilson.

Of course, TE's are much more a thing now than ever before. But Gronk was pick 42. Kelce was pick 63. Kittle was pick 146. Gates was an UDFA. Vernon Davis, TJ Hockenson, and Eric Ebron were Top 10 picks. Tight ends are important, but the recent stars have not been early draft picks.
I was just asking myself - what TE was the highest pick and turned out to be worth the pick?  🤷🏽‍♂️

Ok. 

Since 2000 what TE was picked highest and worth it? 
Not many, but that’s not necessarily indicative of future success by say, Pitt. If he is indeed a generational talent then he’s more in the mold of Kittle/Kelce.

That said, success of the TE can have a lot to do with the system in which they play, injuries, offensive coordinator, who’s at QB,  etc.

So not entirely sure there’s a direct correlation to draft pick = success. 

Ok. 

Since 2000 what TE was picked highest and worth it? 
Code:
Kellen Winslow Jr	6	2004
Vernon Davis		6	2006
T.J. Hockenson		8	2019
Eric Ebron		10	2014
Bubba Franks		14	2000
Jeremy Shockey		14	2002
O.J. Howard		19	2017
Brandon Pettigrew	20	2009
Jermaine Gresham	21	2010
Tyler Eifert		21	2013
Dallas Clark		24	2003
Hayden Hurst		25	2018
Heath Miller		30	2005
Dustin Keller		30	2008
Todd Heap		31	2001
Greg Olsen		31	2007

Kellen Winslow Jr 6 2004
Vernon Davis 6 2006
T.J. Hockenson 8 2019
Eric Ebron 10 2014
Bubba Franks 14 2000
Jeremy Shockey 14 2002
O.J. Howard 19 2017
Brandon Pettigrew 20 2009
Jermaine Gresham 21 2010
Tyler Eifert 21 2013
Dallas Clark 24 2003
Hayden Hurst 25 2018
Heath Miller 30 2005
Dustin Keller 30 2008
Todd Heap 31 2001
Greg Olsen 31 2007

Davis ✅

Shockey ✅

Franks ✅

Clark ✅

Heap ✅

Olsen ✅

jury’s still out on a few of these. 

Davis ✅

Shockey ✅

Franks ✅

Clark ✅

Heap ✅

Olsen ✅

jury’s still out on a few of these. 
I guess I have a lot higher expectations from first round picks than you do . . .

Davis had 4 really good seasons . . . out of 15.
Shockey had 2-3 strong seasons and 6-7 ok ones.
Clark was awesome for three years . . . and below average in 6 others/
Franks had only one season of 400 receiving yards (422).
Heap was good but not great. 2 Pro Bowls in 12 years.
Olsen had 5 pretty dominant years . . . and 9 as mostly an after thought.

IMO, you can get both peak production and longevity at other positions than TE early in drafts. The fact of the matter is TE get beat up and don't last long. Sort of like RB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting that hitting on a TE is way easier than a qb.  Look at the list of QBs and make the same comparison
I disagree with this. The limited production and short timeframe that a TE is productive make the position not worth pursuing early in any given draft. Is 400-500 yards and 4-5 TD all that exciting from a TE and worth burning a first round pick? Sure, guys might have a couple of years better than that, but not many of them.

I guess I have a lot higher expectations from first round picks than you do . . .

David had 4 really good seasons . . . out of 15.

IMO, you can get both peak production and longevity at other positions than TE early in drafts. The fact of the matter is TE get beat up and don't last long. Sort of like RB. 

Hard to judge TEs strictly on offensive stats since they’re also blocking on the OL part of the time. Some of those cats were very decent blockers. 

A career like Shockey with 3 strong seasons & 6 good ones is totally worthy of his draft pick, IMO. 

First instinct was that niners overpaid, but they must've talked to Jets based off of Saleh connection and know what they're getting. There's a premium to pay to secure your future. For better or worse Lynch and company have shown no hesitation to spend to get guys they want.

I'm just hoping they don't do some crap and draft Mac Jones like Chris Simms is suggesting... 

From Lynch/Shanny's perspective the cost probably means very little. If this QB pick doesn't work out, they're out of a job in 3 yrs anyway. 

Crazy talented QB class though this year... in most years Fields and Wilson would be #1 overall.

Davis had 4 really good seasons . . . out of 15.

This is getting away from the point of the thread, but I agree with this take. There's more to a TE than stats of course, but I might say Clark and olsen were worth the pick they were taken. Shockley and miller maybe.  

My memory is failing me here, but maybe miller made an impact on a championship? (I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here)

First instinct was that niners overpaid, but they must've talked to Jets based off of Saleh connection and know what they're getting. There's a premium to pay to secure your future. For better or worse Lynch and company have shown no hesitation to spend to get guys they want.

I'm just hoping they don't do some crap and draft Mac Jones like Chris Simms is suggesting... 

From Lynch/Shanny's perspective the cost probably means very little. If this QB pick doesn't work out, they're out of a job in 3 yrs anyway. 

Crazy talented QB class though this year... in most years Fields and Wilson would be #1 overall.
Crazy thing is I'd think they'd have been much better off drafting Jones with their first and keeping the other picks.

that was my point exactly. 

also not crazy to think Saleh takes fields at 2 & Niners give them a 3rd for Darnold, freeing up JimmyG to deal to the Pats. 

Crazy thing is I'd think they'd have been much better off drafting Jones with their first and keeping the other picks.
The problem is we will never know what could have happened. It's possible they stayed at 12 and got leap frogged by teams and 5 QBs were drafted before their pick. Several mocks had those 5 guys gone by Pick 8 or 9 (whether that is logical or advisable is another story).

Last edited by a moderator:
It also occurs to me that Saleh may have given Shanny a courtesy call that they aren’t taking Wilson. :shrug:  
I think this happened.  And word is Philly wanted to move up to 3 too... Howie and Douglas are pretty close.

If 4 teams were making offers for pick 3, it's very likely that word leaked that Wilson would be there at 3.

Kellen Winslow Jr 6 2004
Vernon Davis 6 2006
T.J. Hockenson 8 2019
Eric Ebron 10 2014
Bubba Franks 14 2000
Jeremy Shockey 14 2002
O.J. Howard 19 2017
Brandon Pettigrew 20 2009
Jermaine Gresham 21 2010
Tyler Eifert 21 2013
Dallas Clark 24 2003
Hayden Hurst 25 2018
Heath Miller 30 2005
Dustin Keller 30 2008
Todd Heap 31 2001
Greg Olsen 31 2007

Fant went at 20 in 2019.

I was thinking that the 49ers tried to deal with jets and when it didn’t happen asked who they are taking. Be hilarious if the jets lied after this trade.
That also occurred to me, but as I understand it, there's a lot of respect between these two, and IIRC, Shanny did Saleh a solid by letting him interview during the season. 

I missed a few others because I sorted the info wrong . . .

Evan Engram 23 2017
David Njoku 29 2017
Marcedes Lewis 28 2006
Ben Watson 32 2004
Daniel Graham 21 2002
Jerramy Stevens 28 2002
Anthony Becht 27 2000
well, I wouldn't say you're missing them. 

Engram & Njoku could still be very decent. Time will tell on both.  

Users who are viewing this thread