What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

49ers jump up to #3 pick in draft (1 Viewer)

It's absolutely ZERO.

So Saleh (who is not even the GM) is going to jeopardize his new job and his new employer's competitive advantage because he's "friends" with Shanny - let's get real. 
People are people dude. It is not absolute zero. 

Unless you have a sworn statement from  both coaches that they didn’t talk at all, you don’t know that.

And there are ways to find out without “jeopardizing” anyone’s job. It’s as simple as the Niners calling the Jets to move to 2 with that same package & the Jets saying “nope.”

And it’s been rumored for a couple months that the Jets were in on Wilson, and then Wilson shined at his pro day. 

There ya go - the Jets effectively told the Niners they’re taking Wilson without actually saying a word about him. 

This really isn’t rocket science here.

Yeah.

If the rumors are true, and everyone knows the Jets intentions, Saleh probably the last guy to leak it.  But there is loads of ways for info to get out:

• every single scout at the pro days.  They all talk, everyone admits it.  
  • The agent.  
  • The owner.  
That, and also the fact that the Jets didn’t deal with the Niners. I’m beyond certain the Niners floated that offer to the Jets, because it would be bordering on incompetently irresponsible not to. 

That, and also the fact that the Jets didn’t deal with the Niners. I’m beyond certain the Niners floated that offer to the Jets, because it would be bordering on incompetently irresponsible not to. 
And it's one thing to keep a secret when you are picking #4-#10.

When you are picking #2, and Trevor is #1, the smoke screens have less energy behind them.  Human nature.  

People are people dude. It is not absolute zero. 

Unless you have a sworn statement from  both coaches that they didn’t talk at all, you don’t know that.

And there are ways to find out without “jeopardizing” anyone’s job. It’s as simple as the Niners calling the Jets to move to 2 with that same package & the Jets saying “nope.”

And it’s been rumored for a couple months that the Jets were in on Wilson, and then Wilson shined at his pro day. 

There ya go - the Jets effectively told the Niners they’re taking Wilson without actually saying a word about him. 

This really isn’t rocket science here.
I don’t have a signed affidavit...you win. 

Of course the Jets turned down the SF package first but that’s not the same thing as telling them who they are taking - it likely means they are taking a QB and/or they still aren’t done with their due diligence and aren’t ready to make a deal yet.

If Saleh told another team who they are taking, he should be fired. Considering he doesn’t come across as a dope I’m guessing he did not put his job in jeopardy but if it makes you feel better that he wouldn’t keep secrets from his BFF, then sobeit. 

oh and there was no talk of the Jets being locked in on Wilson until his recent pro-day and even that’s speculation by pundits, they have made no indications that they are even taking a QB - although I suspect they will.

When you are picking #2, and Trevor is #1, the smoke screens have less energy behind them.  Human nature.  
Yes, there’s not the normal concern with being jumped in the draft but there’s still trade leverage to consider. My only point however was that Saleh isn’t giving away trade sercets just because he used to eat lunch with Shanny everyday.

I don’t have a signed affidavit...you win. 
I mean, you said ZERO. I’m just sayin. You can’t know that. 

Of course the Jets turned down the SF package first but that’s not the same thing as telling them who they are taking - it likely means they are taking a QB and/or they still aren’t done with their due diligence and aren’t ready to make a deal yet.
isn’t it though? Cuz it seems like the exact same thing to me. :shrug:  

Turning down two future firsts to stay at 1.02 meant they were taking Wilson. C’mon. 

Yes, there’s not the normal concern with being jumped in the draft but there’s still trade leverage to consider. My only point however was that Saleh isn’t giving away trade sercets just because he used to eat lunch with Shanny everyday.
But by not dealing the 2, it was no longer a secret. 

One way or another, Shanny knew he wasn’t getting Wilson at 3.

In the context of my post, about the Niners not “scrambling”, that info is all that’s really relevant. They didn’t need a 3 cocktail lunch to divine why the Jets weren’t moving out of the 2 spot. 

Hey, I hope I’m wrong and the Jets take Mac Jones at 2. Maybe that’s why the Niners are scouting him so hard, to trick Saleh into reaching for him. 

MY GOD WHY ISNT THE PRESS RUMORING THIS ONE?! 

:lol:  

On top of that, teams are hardly truthful in what they communicate to people, so the Jets telling the Niners who they were picking and then taking someone else would certainly be fair game. How many times in fantasy have people asked who you were going to draft and then you took someone else instead? There's no honor among thieves.

Huh? Wilson's been linked to the Jets for awhile now. The entire niners organization would have to be living in a cave for the past month for this statement to be true.
It would only make sense to pay the price to move up to #3 a full month out from the draft if the Niners are convinced that there are at least three QBs worthy of paying such a price, and they are convinced both (1) that they would be unable to acquire one of those QBs with the #6 pick (which clearly could have been acquired for less), and (2) there is a significant enough drop-off in talent to a QB prospect who would be available at either pick #6 or pick #12.

This would suggest to me that the 49ers do not have their eyes specifically on Mac Jones, unless they are hearing that Mac Jones' value is moving up pretty substantially (it is possible that Atlanta is eyeing Jones at pick #4, but that would likely mean either Fields or Lance drops to at least #6).  Most draft pundits do not project Mac Jones to go in the top 5 picks.  Zach Wilson is the one player whose value has soared, but I may have been a bit reactionary suggesting the Niners were almost exclusively targeting Wilson.  Justin Fields has often been linked to the Jets at Pick #2, although in the past couple of weeks, Zach Wilson has more often been linked to the Jets.  Fields has seemingly fallen out of favor in recent mock drafts, but I don't know that his value has receded much in the eyes of NFL scouts and front offices.  I suspect Fields may go in the top 5 (and unless Cinci moves down from 5, that means top 4).  Trey Lance would appear to be the only other QB worthy of a top 5 pick.  

Teams do sometimes leak their intentions, especially at the very top of the draft, and sometimes they intentionally leak misinformation.  We are still a month out from the draft, so no pick, outside of perhaps Trevor Lawrence to the Jags, is written in stone.  Keep in mind, this trade was announced immediately prior to Zach Wilson's Pro Day workout.  Wilson increased his stock with a stellar workout.  While there were certainly predictions and rumors that Wilson would go to the Jets at #2 prior to his Pro Day, he has only become an overwhelming favorite at #2 since his Pro Day workout.

Unless the 49ers have a clear QB favorite (or favorites) outside of Lawrence and Wilson, and that favorite(s) is reasonably not expected to make it to Pick #6, San Francisco made a blunder.  I am not completely opposed to making a bold move like this early, since a team like Denver could have swooped in and blocked the Niners, but if you are going to pay that high a price, you better be convinced you are getting an elite talent whom you would not otherwise be able to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
On top of that, teams are hardly truthful in what they communicate to people, so the Jets telling the Niners who they were picking and then taking someone else would certainly be fair game. How many times in fantasy have people asked who you were going to draft and then you took someone else instead? There's no honor among thieves.
We’re not taking about 15-16 here, we’re talking 2-3, and 1 is a known quantity. 

And in the 1st round at my drafts I’ve never been shy about answering that question honestly to someone picking after me because it would border on the psychotic to lie to them at that point. they can’t scoop my pick, so I would have no reason to lie.

Highly doubtful Shanny knew who the Jets are leaning towards at #2. But it can still make sense to move up to #3 if he thought there were some chance Wilson falls AND he has a solidly graded fallback option in mind in case he doesn't.

What doesn't make sense is if that fallback option is Mac Jones... Unless WE were all wrong about Jones' prospects this whole time, and only now the true NFL grade of his potential is being revealed. Or maybe Shanahan is just an overrated idgit.

Of these potential scenarios, seems to me the swing for Wilson, with an acceptable fallback option whose name doesn't rhyme with dak mahomes is most likely.

How far can miami move up from 18 using san frans 2023 1st and the 3rd rounder they got?

Maybe pick 9?

End result dealing 3 and 18 for 6 and 9 and take two big offensive weapons.

None of those GMs will likely be super enthused about picks 2 years away though

We’re not taking about 15-16 here, we’re talking 2-3, and 1 is a known quantity. 

And in the 1st round at my drafts I’ve never been shy about answering that question honestly to someone picking after me because it would border on the psychotic to lie to them at that point. they can’t scoop my pick, so I would have no reason to lie.
I have played in some uber cut throat leagues, and doing something to mess with the head of another owner is not only fair game but encouraged. The logic is it makes that owner have to pivot without any notice to get them off their game, pick someone else while on the clock in a live draft, and mess with their strategically mapped out draft plan. I would tend to do this to friends more so than enemies, but as the saying goes . . . all's fair in love and war.

If the Jets are refusing to trade because they want a specific guy there, it wouldn’t be a devastating blow to the organization for someone with the Jets to tell or at least hint to the Niners who they were leaning toward. I don’t think anyone is saying Saleh signed a contract guaranteeing Shanahan that the Jets were taking a specific player. 

As per Adam Schefter on Twitter:
Someone on Twitter comped him to a John Elway if Elway ever practiced running a 40.

I’d take that. If he’s a more accurate Kaepernick who could throw a touch pass to a RB, I’d take that, too. 

What doesn't make sense is if that fallback option is Mac Jones... Unless WE were all wrong about Jones' prospects this whole time, and only now the true NFL grade of his potential is being revealed. Or maybe Shanahan is just an overrated idgit.
You are seeing a lot of pushback from the draft community against the Mac Jones thing.  Like, they don't believe it, and are really pushing back on the idea that Jones fits the offense better and so forth.  

I hope it's all nonsense.  Listening to ESPN discuss Mac Jones, I am actively rooting against him in the NFL.  Thus, I hope the Jets take him.  

If the Jets are refusing to trade because they want a specific guy there, it wouldn’t be a devastating blow to the organization for someone with the Jets to tell or at least hint to the Niners who they were leaning toward. I don’t think anyone is saying Saleh signed a contract guaranteeing Shanahan that the Jets were taking a specific player. 
Exactly. I find the pearl-clutching by normally level-headed people in here to be somewhat silly. 

“heavens to Betsy, someone alleged two teams revealed poorly kept secrets to each other. Help me to my fainting couch, Gertrude!” 

Cmon. How many times in past drafts have teams traded down with assurances that their trade partner wouldn’t nab their pick if they did? This isn’t anything shocking or new, nor is it going to jeopardize anyone’s job. 

Highly doubtful Shanny knew who the Jets are leaning towards at #2. But it can still make sense to move up to #3 if he thought there were some chance Wilson falls AND he has a solidly graded fallback option in mind in case he doesn't.
The first part I disagree with, but the 2nd part is likely true. 

that’s a misread IMO. I don’t think Mac Jones is the “fallback”.

I think Mac Jones is the “we really should evaluate every QB that might be taken in round 1 because we just spent a king’s ransom to get one”. 

See: Alex Smith over ARod 

And if they fall in love with Mac Jones, then they could sell the 1.03 to Carolina who would likely LOVE to move ahead of the Falcons at 4. This is the least likely of all scenarios, IMO, but it’s there for them if they want it. 

This is incorrect.  It is far more than zero.  And these things happen more than you think.

Exactly what leverage are you talking about?
If people want to believe Saleh told the 49ers who the Jets were taking, I'd rather not even bother trying to convince them otherwise. It seems hopeless.

If people want to believe Saleh told the 49ers who the Jets were taking, I'd rather not even bother trying to convince them otherwise. It seems hopeless.
Again, could you please explain what leverage?

Did the Jags screw up by telling people yesterday that they're leaning towards Lawrence?

Is Saleh the decision maker for the Jets?  Even if Saleh hinted the team was leaning toward a certain player, or if the team's activities suggest they are favoring a certain player, there is still a long way to go before the draft.  The Niners traded up to #3 prior to Zach Wilson's Pro Day workout and prior to Justin Fields' Pro Day workout.

Is Saleh the decision maker for the Jets?  Even if Saleh hinted the team was leaning toward a certain player, or if the team's activities suggest they are favoring a certain player, there is still a long way to go before the draft.  The Niners traded up to #3 prior to Zach Wilson's Pro Day workout and prior to Justin Fields' Pro Day workout.
Yes it is not locked in stone if he told him.  I could very much see Saleh having a chat with Shanny on the phone and saying "man we love that wilson kid.  No promises but I think Joe is definitely leaning that way"

ZERO competitive advantage lost.  What, are the 49ers going to trade u to #1 now to take Wilson away from the Jets with this intel?  There's no harm at all in mentioning it to Shanny.

No, Joe Douglas is - and yes all this talk of the Jets being locked into Wilson for weeks is pure garbage talk. The first time I heard it locally was after Wilson's pro-day and that was only from some other pundits and other team's scouts. The Jets have leaked nothing - half the fans still think the Jets are sticking with Darnold at this point. They are sill doing their due diligence I'd imagine.

There's still a chance they even trade out of the #2 spot (if a team gets more desperate than SF) which is why they certainly aren't telling any teams who they are picking yet. 

I have played in some uber cut throat leagues, and doing something to mess with the head of another owner is not only fair game but encouraged. The logic is it makes that owner have to pivot without any notice to get them off their game, pick someone else while on the clock in a live draft, and mess with their strategically mapped out draft plan. I would tend to do this to friends more so than enemies, but as the saying goes . . . all's fair in love and war.
Who would you rather screw over... a guy in your fantasy division who is always a rival of yours?  Or a team that you don't have to worry about at all?

Screwing the 49ers has no effect on the Jets' success... unless they plan to meet in the superbowl (lol).

If you really want to get down to the cuthroat stuff, the niners having a better team would actually HELP the Jets as it would give them a better chance at beating the teams the Jets are actually fighting for playoff positioning against.

No, Joe Douglas is - and yes all this talk of the Jets being locked into Wilson for weeks is pure garbage talk. The first time I heard it locally was after Wilson's pro-day and that was only from some other pundits and other team's scouts. The Jets have leaked nothing - half the fans still think the Jets are sticking with Darnold at this point. They are sill doing their due diligence I'd imagine.

There's still a chance they even trade out of the #2 spot (if a team gets more desperate than SF) which is why they certainly aren't telling any teams who they are picking yet. 
You don't actually believe that.

I agree with this, and I believe that team would be the Panthers. Who would also more than likely take Wilson at 2. 

You don't actually believe that.
I believe at this point they are taking a QB, but yes I do believe there is a chance that they will still listen to offers for the pick. People that support the Jets keeping Darnold will latch on to statements like Corey Davis being told Sam would be throwing him the ball. At this point we are over 2 months away - no one knows anything during "lying season".

I believe at this point they are taking a QB, but yes I do believe there is a chance that they will still listen to offers for the pick. People that support the Jets keeping Darnold will latch on to statements like Corey Davis being told Sam would be throwing him the ball. At this point we are over 2 months away - no one knows anything during "lying season".
The odds of the Jets trading out of the #2 spot are lower than Saleh getting a tattoo of who they want to pick at #2 on his forehead and having a press conference tomorrow.

And how would telling Shanny "we really love Wilson in the 2 spot, the kid is going to be outstanding" going to hurt the value of the haul they get if a team wants to trade up to pick 2?

Yes it is not locked in stone if he told him.  I could very much see Saleh having a chat with Shanny on the phone and saying "man we love that wilson kid.  No promises but I think Joe is definitely leaning that way"

ZERO competitive advantage lost.  What, are the 49ers going to trade u to #1 now to take Wilson away from the Jets with this intel?  There's no harm at all in mentioning it to Shanny.
I sorta doubt that conversation took place, but it is irrelevant.  I agree there is no competitive disadvantage to revealing who the Jets are considering, except perhaps as it relates to trading either the pick or Darnold, and even then, probably no real disadvantage.

I sorta doubt that conversation took place, but it is irrelevant.  I agree there is no competitive disadvantage to revealing who the Jets are considering, except perhaps as it relates to trading either the pick or Darnold, and even then, probably no real disadvantage.
ya no disadvantage at all.  To say he "should be fired" if he had that conversation is a bit crazy.

Like I mentioned earlier, if we're really splitting hairs, helping the 49ers would be advantageous to the Jets more than it would hurt them.

So one anecdote worth mentioning, after the Shanny presser on 95.7 The Game, Lorenzo Neal, a guy I have come to love on the radio & trust with insider information about the NFL was asked directly, "do you think Saleh told Shanny who he was taking at 2?" and Lo said, "absolutely. no question". 

I mean, he's no Dr Octopus, but that's definitely a shocking response from a former professional athlete if jobs are indeed on the line here.  And he said it so jovially, too like it wasn't even a big deal. 

There is ZERO chance the Jets told anyone who they are taking. Why would any team ruin their leverage - because he used to work there? 
Agreed and the draft is almost a month away. What about an injury? You can't leverage all of those assets this far out- you only make this deal if you have three QB options that you are 100% comfortable taking. 

Your response 5 minutes ago that you immediately deleted but still shows up on my phone 😂

Was a nice try though lol
No, his response shows up on my computer. He meant exactly what he said. Why do you do this in threads? You're not a welcome sight for the most part, and there's a reason.

As for Saleh, I highly doubt he told SF who the Jets were taking. Dr. Octopus is right about everything he said besides the ZERO chance thing, which is about right, but not fully. There's little chance Saleh told his former employer because the Jets still don't have a trade partner for Darnold, are still likely listening to offers for the number two pick, and haven't budged or flinched when it comes to letting the media know who they're picking. Doc is right. The Jets were not mocked Wilson until after his pro day, and the trade had already gone down.

That's just how the Jets have been playing it. If you want to believe liars during lying season, well, then the eggs are on your face, bub.

No, his response shows up on my computer. He meant exactly what he said. Why do you do this in threads? You're not a welcome sight for the most part, and there's a reason.

As for Saleh, I highly doubt he told SF who the Jets were taking. Dr. Octopus is right about everything he said besides the ZERO chance thing, which is about right, but not fully. There's little chance Saleh told his former employer because the Jets still don't have a trade partner for Darnold, are still likely listening to offers for the number two pick, and haven't budged or flinched when it comes to letting the media know who they're picking. Doc is right. The Jets were not mocked Wilson until after his pro day, and the trade had already gone down.

That's just how the Jets have been playing it. If you want to believe liars during lying season, well, then the eggs are on your face, bub.
Nope, his response of "Yes I admit Saleh may have leaked it and been dumb" does not show up anymore lol

Not a welcome sight lol... yet you keep responding even though you said you blocked me.  I get sticking up for your Jets buddy, but damn you can't resist hey?  From the guy who got mad at his team for not losing on purpose 🤣

As for the Saleh thing, yes it's entirely possible he told Shanny the way that Joe was leaning.  This would HELP the Jets if anything.  They aren't trading that pick, and it's clear you're not over the Lawrence rants that you went off on earlier in the year.  You lost Lawrence, it will be okay rockaction.  Everything will be okay.

Like Hot Sauce Guy said, there are many insiders who are suggesting and some even down right claiming that Saleh probably had a convo with Shanny about the pick before the trade.  So no, the chances are not zero even though it makes you Jets fans sleep better at night. 

There is no downside to the Jets letting one dude know that they're interested in X player.  It's not like telling Shanny means he's letting the word out.  They're grown men, I'm sure they can keep a secret between them, and the trade absolutely points to that having been the case.

As for Saleh, I highly doubt he told SF who the Jets were taking. Dr. Octopus is right about everything he said besides the ZERO chance thing, which is about right, but not fully. There's little chance Saleh told his former employer because the Jets still don't have a trade partner for Darnold, are still likely listening to offers for the number two pick, and haven't budged or flinched when it comes to letting the media know who they're picking.
This.

Even if everyone thinks the Jets will pick a QB, it still would be dumb to confirm it - even to a good buddy in another org - because it would set them back in any Darnold trade negotiations. Even if it were to result in only getting a 5th rounder instead of a 4th b/c teams press the gas on them, knowing they are desperate to drop Darnold, it would be worth keeping all cards close to the vest for now.

Aside from that, you also have draft trade capital leverage at play - the best negotiating position is the one where you know your cards, and you have the ability to telegraph whichever player you want to a team approaching you, as your intended target - based on your particular dealings with and knowledge of that particular team's intentions.

Why freely give up these two levers? Because you used to work for Shanahan. Not impossible, but highly unlikely in such a cut-throat business.

This.

Even if everyone thinks the Jets will pick a QB, it still would be dumb to confirm it - even to a good buddy in another org - because it would set them back in any Darnold trade negotiations. Even if it were to result in only getting a 5th rounder instead of a 4th b/c teams press the gas on them, knowing they are desperate to drop Darnold, it would be worth keeping all cards close to the vest for now.

Aside from that, you also have draft trade capital leverage at play - the best negotiating position is the one where you know your cards, and you have the ability to telegraph whichever player you want to a team approaching you, as your intended target - based on your particular dealings with and knowledge of that particular team's intentions.

Why freely give up these two levers? Because you used to work for Shanahan. Not impossible, but highly unlikely in such a cut-throat business.
People inside the NFL who actually have knowledge of how these things go disagree with you.  These conversations do happen.  Telling Shanny they really like Player X does absolutely nothing to diminish the trade value of Darnold to another team.

Guess Jax is dumb to tell people they want Lawrence then too?

Users who are viewing this thread