What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best car insurance for college students (1 Viewer)

Steeler

Footballguy
My daughter can no longer be covered under my car insurance because she is away at school.  Anyone know the best car insurance for college students... I'm in FL if that matters.

According to Google: 

Account                     Best for

Liberty Mutual           Discounts

Metromile           Pay-per-mile insurance

Esurance                   Do it-yourself insurance

Allstate                   Face-to-face assistance

State Farm              Low Rates

Farmers.                  High GPA students 

American Family          Good customer service

USAA                           Military

Amica Mutual        Roadside  assistance 

My daughter can no longer be covered under my car insurance because she is away at school.  Anyone know the best car insurance for college students... I'm in FL if that matters.
Since when?  Is that a florida thing?

As long as the car is not in her name and your address is still her permanent address nothing has to change.  *That's how it works here 

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when?  Is that a florida thing?
I'm not sure overall.  My daughter was covered under my insurance while she was in high school and for the first few years of college.  Then I got a survey from my insurance company (AAA) and filled it out using her college address for her/her car, and I just received a letter today saying she can't be covered because "all vehicles must be kept at the residence premises listed on the policy."

:shrug:

I'm not sure overall.  My daughter was covered under my insurance while she was in high school and for the first few years of college.  Then I got a survey from my insurance company (AAA) and filled it out using her college address for her/her car, and I just received a letter today saying she can't be covered because "all vehicles must be kept at the residence premises listed on the policy."

:shrug:
Ah yes. I edited my post.  If the car is in her name or she doesn't use your address she needs her own.   If your address is still her permanent address then it can stay on yours.  You "screwed up" not using your address for her unless she's not ever living with you again

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the car is not in her name and your address is still her permanent address nothing has to change.  *That's how it works here 
Thanks for the update - I'm planning on calling them to verify this change needs to be made because the car is still in my name and my house is still her permanent address.

Thanks for the update - I'm planning on calling them to verify this change needs to be made because the car is still in my name and my house is still her permanent address.
My son went to 5 years of college on my policy. I assume you should be fine. Hope it works out

I have a couple of kids with permits. I made the mistake on a survey of indicating that. I was harrassed every few months from the insurance company about that. I discussed the problem with a different agent. He put the insurance policy under my wife's name. The bonus was cheaper rates, as she is younger than I am.

Yeah....ya screwed up. Pretty sure nearly every college student in America is on their parents' policy in basically the same situation.  I know I was (and both my parents are/were insurance brokers)

Insurance companies are picky about a lot of things, but where a car is "garaged" generally isn't one of them.   They might choose to adjust the rates based on that information (for example....if she's in school in a city or a place like Michigan with very high auto rates compared to where you live.) but forcing her off the policy is a weird move.

Its weird that they would even ask this. Plenty of families have personal lines insurance policies with vehicles garaged at multiple locations (Northerners with a Winter house down south often have a "Florida car" rather than driving their main car all the way down there)  As long as she's still a dependent and they knows she's the one driving the car, I dont really see what the issue would be.

Freak Show said:
I have a couple of kids with permits. I made the mistake on a survey of indicating that. I was harrassed every few months from the insurance company about that. I discussed the problem with a different agent. He put the insurance policy under my wife's name. The bonus was cheaper rates, as she is younger than I am.
You might want to be careful with this. (purposely "hiding" the fact that you have teenage drivers in the house). I dont know what your policy looks like, but some policies have a "failure to disclose" clause. 

In nearly all cases, car insurance is tied to the car, not the driver. But I would certainly expect to be non-renewed if your 18 year old has a claim and you didnt tell them he/she existed.

Users who are viewing this thread