What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I was Diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome in 2010. A Q/A on what I deal with on a daily bases (This is not an excuse but a learning experience) (2 Viewers)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So thanks to a topic I made in another thread I wanted to thank @Corporation, @STEADYMOBBIN 22, and @El Floppofor coming up with this idea. They figured this would be a good time for people to learn more about me or understand me better as well as others maybe dealing with the same thing or knowing someone similar. I apologize for the long post and I tried to clean this up as best as I could while still providing some info 

A Quick History: I'm a 32 Yrs Old White Male living in the Southwest Suburbs of Philadelphia. My time in school overall was really difficult. I had issues making friends, was bullied at times (Middle School was the absolute worse), and had learning issues. I love sports and analysis of them and weird facts like players birthdays and such. I'm big into History as well as Wrestling. My music Genre's very from Classical Music, to old school rap, to 80s Metal to Death metal. For the longest time we thought I had tourette syndrome. I still think I have it to a degree do to the ticks involved. However I went to a new therapists (Needed an adult one now) in 2010  and my mom had just read book running with Scissors. The Book was turned into a TV movie and the author describes his Brother John Elder Robinson who has Aspergers (He invented Ace's Light up Guitar for KISS) and my mom was curious as I showed some of those signs. Within an hour of seeing my new Therapist he said this is what I have. He said even if we knew back then what I had much wouldn't have changed, However I disagree.

For a brief definition of Aspergers: 

A developmental disorder affecting ability to effectively socialize and communicate.

Asperger syndrome is a condition on the autism spectrum, with generally higher functioning.

People with this condition may be socially awkward and have an all-absorbing interest in specific topics.

Communication training and behavioral therapy can help people with the syndrome learn to socialize more successfully.

Shortly after learning about my diagnosis (Same day Kevin Kolbys signed an Extension with the Eagles) my Pop-Pop who was a huge part of my life and why I love the Eagles died that OCT. He never got his SB but my Grandma would always tell me at the very least he found out what the problem was for his grandson (me) before he past. He always wanted what was best for me and knew once I figured out what the issues were I would succeed. My mom and brothers and most of my family have been very good about it. My dad has been very hard to get involved with this. Some of this isn't intentional it was just how he grew up but to say it has fractured our relationship is an understatement. 

Since learning about this I've gone and researched and learned a lot about what I have. It's been incredible helpful and given me my understand of why I lacked friends and my learning disability I was told by numerous HS Teachers (my mom was) I wouldn't go and graduate college because of my lack of how I fell behind in English and Math). I got my associates degree at Community College despite it being difficult but proved everyone wrong. I've learned the way I think sometimes isn't how others do and it's not always black and white to me. Sometimes this actually helps me though where others think different on a subject matter and when I give my opinion they say it makes way more sense when thinking of it that way. I can come across at times as ignorant or selfish despite that not being my intention when trying to think I'm doing the right thing. I like my space as well and can come off as not friendly or professional when that's not my intention. 

At work over the years I've had a core of people who have helped me and as people leave bringing in new trust forms. Most of the time people are understanding of me. I work in a grocery store in an essential field and thankfully being there so long a lot of Customers know about me or understand me. One of the worst things for me is understand if people are making a joke or being serious. I need to recognize facial expressions so to say this past year has been difficult is an understatement. If you think it's hard knowing people with a mask on it's twice if not harder for me to do at times. For everything going on I've surprised myself on how well I've handled all of this. My mom last March/April around this time was diagnosed with Covid 19. This had me very worried do to her having had breast cancer surgery twice in a 2 yrs span a few yrs back it was pretty devastating. I was quarantined from work and the world for 2 weeks (You'd think I was In heaven but really I was worried for my mom plus I could barely get out of the house other then go out back for a bit). I learned I had a lot of people watching my back. I knew my oldest cousin would always be there for me and my middle brother who's sort of a mama's boy to begin with would be.

My dad prior to this was not a believer in the virus being bad but after my mom got sick he made a 180 on his beliefs. It was really great though and being able to talk to others was great for me. At the same time my favorite Manager who had been helping me with a lot at work and becoming a very trusted person I could talk not just work with but life with had to quarantine. I thought it was do to my mom but she had been in contact with someone else who did. So during that time it was cool to be able to talk to her daily for those 2 weeks take my mind off everything. We even came up with a game plan to make work easier for me over the next few months. During this time though in August she left (She wants to work at corporate) and I was devastated. The same day I found out a very good friend of mine died from an OD. This was one of the kids who use to bully me in Middle school and during his recovery we became great friends. he even apologized during this period for bulling me and it was huge as he was one of the first to have apologized to me. Shortly after that a work incident happened. I was going through a pretty bad phase. After 2 months of wasting away just doing the same old job I was put in produce and still do it along with Beer and wine. I got a ton of hrs and loved it. I have a friend who works there who has been great helping me learn produce. My Manager over there his Mom and sister live near me and to this day my middle brother says is still his favorite boss. My ASD who took over for my favorite manager has also given me a ton of HRs and has had me run the store a couple of hrs during the night when he's left early. Things are slowly getting better. 

The reason I share this story of the past year is I know a lot of people and many of you on here have gone through difficulties. Add in having something like Aspergers for me makes a year like the past year with a pandemic that much harder. However I think I've dealt with this a lot better then I expected I would.  

I will now open this up to questioning as well as providing a few links on foundations to donate if you want to, some famous people who have it, some more info on this as well as helpful books for those who want to learn more or know someone this could help 

To donate: I'd advise not using Autism Speaks. Very bad things about them and know a tons of people in the spectrum who have had issues with them. They are also not as fourth coming as other organizations

My favorite place to donate is The Eagles Autism Foundation. This is an organization very dear to me as it's my favorite team sponsoring it. Owner Jeffrey Lurie has a brother who is on the spectrum who he is very close to and they do a fantastic job. The benefits go to helping do research and learn more about Autism sending money to even local organization like Children's Hospital of Philadelphia where my mom Works (CHOP). 

Eagles Autism foundation

Famous people rumored or have Aspergers

Former American Idol and Quit Riot Lead Singer James Durbin talks about dealing with Tourettes and Aspergers

Cliff Notes version on Aspergers Wiki and it numerous links to involved to websites

Links to John Elder Robinson and his books that first helped me when I was first diagnosed

For employers with Employees with autism how to manage them professionally

Micheal John's book on dealing with Aspergers and his foundation to help people find good jobs

I don't have much to say or ask, DJax, other than thanks for sharing and that you're a part of this community IMO, mang. Thanks for being forthcoming and it's nice to know you have friends and relatives who have your back.

I guess my first question is how is your mother doing? 

eta* By the way, this wasn't a secret to me. I'd heard or seen you mention it on the board before this in a thread. But it's good to get it front and center so that everybody might know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you DJax - I’ve definitely given you a hard time over the years and for that I feel like a jerk (not the first time).  Please accept  my apology.   I hope you continue to fight this challenge head on.
Never saw you giving me a full hard time as much as just disagreeing. And honestly it couldn't have been that bad if I can't even remember them 

Good topic GB. I didn't know but I've never been a jerk to you either. :thumbup:

This doesn't change the fact I'd love to see you cane that turncoat buddy of yours that used you as a reference to be Gamestop manager or that unruly frostbitten squatter on your property. 

Fight the good fight my friend. :thumbup:

So I'll ask..... And I ask this respectfully

Do you not have the ability for brevity?

As in is it self conscious that you ramble with walls and walls of text?

I have a 32 year old son that was diagnosed with Aspbergers in 2003, when he was 13.    We knew he had something since the age of six.  For a long time, we thought it was a behavior issue as he was a twin and he started to act up about the time twins start to establish their own identities. 

Back then, it was incredibly hard to get help as it had just started to get national recognition.  

After trying several avenues, we found a great program at Laguna Hills high that helped a little bit.  

Best thing we ever did was put him in CLE.  College Learning Experience.  For college age kids.   

They have like six programs in US now. 

He went to Austin CC in Texas.  Got an AA degrees in computer gaming.

CLE had a tutor for every class.  Had someone come in every week and teach them how to take care of a house and personal stuff like laundry , cooking , banking, etc. 

Best money I've ever spent.  

He had a great programming job for 9 years ago until a covid related layoff.  Appears he's close to getting hired soon as he's on the fifth level with a company nearby.  

My daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's earlier this year.  She's 19 and in her sophomore year in college.  She's always been a brilliant student and person in general (got 22nd in the national spelling bee, National Merit scholar, full scholarship to Alabama), but she really fell apart when she went off to college, and was diagnosed soon after.  Her problems at college seem to be social more than anything, and I wonder if facial cues are part of the issue.  All kids think everyone's looking at them or making jokes about them, but she has that to a higher degree.

What should we be doing to help her?  When we heard her diagnosis, it fits into her quirks - hyper-focused on tasks, socially awkward... but she had been so successful to that point and is now her own adult, so we didn't really do anything to help her.  Any suggestions for how to help or where to point her to get support?

Thanks for sharing. When I traveled to Newcastle Upon Tyne in 2019, the people there asked me why in hell I would pick the Magpies as my team. Now I ask that question of you.
The GOAL Movies plus I already liked AC Milan so for an English team I wanted someone as an underdog. Way too many friends here Liverpool (Being a Milan that wasn't gonna happen), Man United or Chelsea. I wanted to be way different then those. Curious how you picked them though 

I have a 32 year old son that was diagnosed with Aspbergers in 2003, when he was 13.    We knew he had something since the age of six.  For a long time, we thought it was a behavior issue as he was a twin and he started to act up about the time twins start to establish their own identities. 

Back then, it was incredibly hard to get help as it had just started to get national recognition.  

After trying several avenues, we found a great program at Laguna Hills high that helped a little bit.  

Best thing we ever did was put him in CLE.  College Learning Experience.  For college age kids.   

They have like six programs in US now. 

He went to Austin CC in Texas.  Got an AA degrees in computer gaming.

CLE had a tutor for every class.  Had someone come in every week and teach them how to take care of a house and personal stuff like laundry , cooking , banking, etc. 

Best money I've ever spent.  

He had a great programming job for 9 years ago until a covid related layoff.  Appears he's close to getting hired soon as he's on the fifth level with a company nearby.  
Wished I had these programs. Honestly the bolded should be taught in school no matter who or what you are. The issue for me in school was my mom never knew how far behind I was and a lot of my teachers outside of my final IEP teacher (was probably one of my favorites too) updated my mom. She told her and meant no harm that she was concerned if I could make it in college but she did everything she could and would to help me. She just wished she'd been around sooner to get me the actual help. Don't think my teachers were doing things intentionally I just think they didn't do well explaining my issues as no one really knew how to really teach me at the time. 

My daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's earlier this year.  She's 19 and in her sophomore year in college.  She's always been a brilliant student and person in general (got 22nd in the national spelling bee, National Merit scholar, full scholarship to Alabama), but she really fell apart when she went off to college, and was diagnosed soon after.  Her problems at college seem to be social more than anything, and I wonder if facial cues are part of the issue.  All kids think everyone's looking at them or making jokes about them, but she has that to a higher degree.

What should we be doing to help her?  When we heard her diagnosis, it fits into her quirks - hyper-focused on tasks, socially awkward... but she had been so successful to that point and is now her own adult, so we didn't really do anything to help her.  Any suggestions for how to help or where to point her to get support?
What's her social life like? Friends she hangs with, does she hang with them often and such? Having the right friends can be key especially in college. I got lucky the first day last class there was this guy in my class I ended up waiting for the bus for. Turns out he live 10 mins from me, had a twin sister and had a lot of the same interests as me. From there things turned out well. I failed a few classes including 2 history classes. My Issue was how the professor taught. My One professor I hated the way he taught and was one of those you loved him or hated him. No in-between. See what her professors are like and it could be simple as just the way they teach her. 

Another thing I'd look into is talk to her advisor and ask about possible accommodations for your daughter. Explain what's going on and see what they can do. I've done a lot of my own research with self help books from people with Aspergers. Reading John Elder Robinson Look ME IN THE EYES I felt I was reading my life story. So maybe try finding her a book or something about a college student with it and their experience could also help. Fortunately for her in the last decade there is more programs and help for this then when I was in school. 

I took Psych 101 and another class with a certain professor. loved how he taught as he didn't believe in tests and thought all that was is showing people's memory not showing they've learned the context of what was being studied. He graded us on literally showing up to class, participation and a notebook we kept on notes plus our book assignments. I found out my diagnosis shortly before I graduated and in his class. We talked about it, he asked me how I felt with it among other things. He really helped me too. 

I also skated through HS with easy classes and procrastinated on work. I stayed up all night the night before essay's were do in college to finish them but honestly for English and history that was best for me. Long term projects I completely missed out on like an assignment given to us first class and didn't even remember about the project to the last week. By then it was too late. Sometimes sudden change with harder classes can effect ithings too. 

I would definitely look for impact right away help by talking to her advisor first though. 

My son is on the autism spectrum. It's been really nice for me to see adults who I think are smart and interesting share that they are on the spectrum too. It's hard to be a parent and not know how something like this will work out and seeing positive examples really helps me.  Thank you for sharing. 

One question I have for you- who are some of your favorite posters here at FBG?  What do you like about them? 

The reason I ask is because you mentioned having a hard time understanding people without facial expressions, and there obviously aren't any facial expressions on FBG. 

Any thoughts on Aspergers being removed as an official diagnosis and placing it on the far end of the autism spectrum?

My son is on the autism spectrum. It's been really nice for me to see adults who I think are smart and interesting share that they are on the spectrum too. It's hard to be a parent and not know how something like this will work out and seeing positive examples really helps me.  Thank you for sharing. 
I've found myself getting along with older people not my age. Still get along with people my age. However when our baby-sitter would take us to her family parties I was more interested in hanging with her and the adults then the other kids. 

One question I have for you- who are some of your favorite posters here at FBG?  What do you like about them? 

The reason I ask is because you mentioned having a hard time understanding people without facial expressions, and there obviously aren't any facial expressions on FBG. 
Thats hard without singling people out or not mentioning those who should be mentioned. Deamon was really helpful with my families trip to Toronto a few yrs ago. A lot of the guys in the Eagles thread are pretty good. El Floppo despite being an Inter supporter has always been good. Tom and Craigjames (I believe) in the Wrestling thread, most of the guys in the Soccer thread are good. Really outside of these guys haven't really branched out on here. Others I haven't talked to in awhile who aren't posting as much 

More so don't know really how to form a post with a shorter version then needed 
I tend to be pretty wordy myself more often than not. It's a gift, IMO, embrace it!

Thanks for sharing your story. I find it interesting to find out more about people in the online world and the story you shared is very interesting. 

Any thoughts on Aspergers being removed as an official diagnosis and placing it on the far end of the autism spectrum?
It shouldn't be. It's part of the spectrum. Certain people want to change certain things because it doesn't agree with their opinion. I never heard a really good reason for it to be removed either. Honestly if we are removing Aspergers as an official diagnosis we should remove ADHD as well. I think there is a bigger argument to remove that as an official diagnosis as literals everyone is being diagnosed with it and I know many who clearly don't have it

The GOAL Movies plus I already liked AC Milan so for an English team I wanted someone as an underdog. Way too many friends here Liverpool (Being a Milan that wasn't gonna happen), Man United or Chelsea. I wanted to be way different then those. Curious how you picked them though 
My girlfriend had a conference in Glasgow so we made a vacation out of it. I was just really getting into soccer and wanted to see a Premier League game. Newcastle was a train ride away, so I started watching their games. I went to St James, loved the city, and now they’re my team.

Great thread--Djax. I knew about this because you mentioned it awhile back. I know some give you a hard time (like in the wrestling thread where you and I have interacted). Just know you have friends here who have your back. 

Thanks for sharing.

Our daughter is on the autism spectrum (high-functioning and highly social, thankfully but still awkward) but probably not with Asperger's. Not sure if she'll ever be self-reliant as she also has learning difficulties. This time during COVID has been especially hard for her, especially while in middle-school, going through puberty, etc. 

More so don't know really how to form a post with a shorter version then needed 
Dude...you just nailed it!

But you're not alone- it's hard to boil it down to just the important part. 

My saving grace is I don't usually have time to answer as full as I'd like. otherwise, lookout- I will go into extreme detail about just how truly awful milan is. Just saw a meme in response to some link in the soccer thread (about the aaronson bros) with ronaldinho completely embarrassing gatuso. It was glorious. Thought of you.

I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS (It is now part of the Autism spectrum) as an adult in 2006.  I had many of the same problems as the OP had.  I have a strong interest in football to this day. One thing is that loud noises are torture to me.  I go to an adult support group, which was hard to find as it seems that 99% of autism resources go to autistic children or their parents.  I am still coping with all my childhood nightmares.  One big issue is that I graduated from college as an engineer but have extreme trouble gaining or retaining employment.

Good on you DJax - I’ve definitely given you a hard time over the years and for that I feel like a jerk (not the first time).  Please accept  my apology.   I hope you continue to fight this challenge head on.
Kindof same here.  I've said some snarky things to you, but was always entertained that you replied but never seemed to really get riled up about it.

Mrs. Rannous said:
Spot on.

Interesting thread.  Thank you for sharing.  (I love this stuff.  It's probably why I ended up in anthropology.)
Unfortunately it's the way it is with a lot of things. One of the things I hate is people wanting to change really good things for no reason that don't need changing. This isn't like something people want to change because of a negative but more so they don't like or agree with that line of thinking. 

Courtjester said:
Great thread--Djax. I knew about this because you mentioned it awhile back. I know some give you a hard time (like in the wrestling thread where you and I have interacted). Just know you have friends here who have your back. 
Found that out last year around this time when I was banned for month. Won't go into detail other then I'm not even sure how the post of mine that was reported got me banned. Another poster went ape sh** on me about everything including having Aspergers and I will just say what the mods say in that the dude could've been way more cooler. Since I was banned I couldn't see the board but when I came back I saw a ton of people interacting in the thread and having my back in it. That was all I needed to see honestly 

Snoopy said:
I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS (It is now part of the Autism spectrum) as an adult in 2006.  I had many of the same problems as the OP had.  I have a strong interest in football to this day. One thing is that loud noises are torture to me.  I go to an adult support group, which was hard to find as it seems that 99% of autism resources go to autistic children or their parents.  I am still coping with all my childhood nightmares.  One big issue is that I graduated from college as an engineer but have extreme trouble gaining or retaining employment.
Keep it up. If I don't mind asking any reason for not being able to gain or retain employment? Lost interests in it after awhile? I know theres days I want to quit my job of now 16 yrs (This June) but the benefit of my job is I can do a lot of different stuff and not stuck in one spot the whole day or year 

Vanilla Guerrilla said:
Kindof same here.  I've said some snarky things to you, but was always entertained that you replied but never seemed to really get riled up about it.
You'd be surprised. I've shared a few stories in the past. I belonged to the MLB.com boards and team boards (mostly the Phillies board) and I started posting there around 06 or so. Found a friends buddy who posted there too for awhile. I was immature and just starting to use the boards. I would get into constant fights with trolls Dailey. Some of the posts we got away with we could never get away with on here. Thats why I've been put in time out a few times as I'm still learning what I can and can't get away with here. Way more freedom and control of getting around filters there. For a constant week Mets trolls were on our board attacking me even putting thread titles in my name with links. I've had a ton of heated battles over the years. Learned from there not everyone will agree nor can you change their mind. Also some people its just better to really ignore 

Keep it up. If I don't mind asking any reason for not being able to gain or retain employment? Lost interests in it after awhile? I know theres days I want to quit my job of now 16 yrs (This June) but the benefit of my job is I can do a lot of different stuff and not stuck in one spot the whole day or year 
Once in a while, I get called to an interview but nothing.  In my last job, there were waves of layoffs but I survived until the last one and the company went under shortly after.

Good thread.

I do remember you mentioning that you had Aspergers a while back and it certainly explains quite a bit about your posting style.  A good friend of mine is a physician that specializes in the space (his brother and 2 of his nephews are all on various parts of the spectrum)  so I'm fairly familiar with some of the issues that you've addressed here.

I know that you've got into some scuffles here over the years (I'm sure partially due to your circumstances) but just know....you handle it FAR better than some others I've seen. There's a guy on another board that I frequent that has it as well. He writes much more concisely than you do and might get to his point a bit more quickly, but I've NEVER seen someone more nasty on a message board. Just CONSTANTLY picking fights with people, mocking anyone who thinks differently than him, sees EVERYTHING as black or white. Its just painful to deal with it. I TRY to remember that he really cant help it, but its really hard some times.

Its always been clear (at least to me) that you're a good dude at heart.

Just CONSTANTLY picking fights with people, mocking anyone who thinks differently than him, sees EVERYTHING as black or white. Its just painful to deal with it. I TRY to remember that he really cant help it
That's likely not true.  It's also insulting to those who genuinely try for good manners.  If everyone rewards the bad behavior, how does he learn to do better?  If expectations are always nonexistant, how does he get above the lowest common denominator?  It's just a free pass.

DJax... In hindsight this makes perfect sense. I'm very sorry for the times I've been abrasive toward you. I respect the hell out of you for coming forward like this.

Understand that Life doesn't necessarily owe you anything, but also understand that your diagnosis doesn't mean you're any less intelligent, just that your mind applies that processing power in different ways and in different places.

It's good that you're identifying where your "powers" lie, Leverage them and kick ### GB. 

Snoopy said:
Where are you located? If it's somewhere where I have contacts I'll be happy to stick my neck out and try to pull some favors. No guarantees at all but I've always believed networking is the best means to find good work 

This was difficult for us because at the time, autism had a bigger stigma attached to it.  I believe that stigma has diminished thanks to people sharing personal stories like this. Our son was originally diagnosed with PDD-NOS (as Snoopy mentioned in the quote below) when he was 5 years old. In Kindergarten, he had a meltdown when they got off schedule and it took 3 adults to pry him off the lunchroom doors.  He did a second year of Kindergarten and it was a huge benefit. We had wonderful resources all through elementary, middle, and high school. They worked with him in creating schedules and recognizing when he was overstimulated (one teacher put a big fluffy chair near the coat room and called it Alaska for when students needed to chill). We went through a variety of medications, but took him off in the 7th grade when he started crying uncontrollably and I asked him what was wrong and he just said I don't know.

They moved his diagnosis to Asperger's and it qualified him for additional services in the 7th grade (access to aides, taking tests in a different room with more time).  As he matured, you could really see him working through the process.  When a schedule would change abruptly, he would say out loud "OK, we are just going to accept it and move on". There were random spots of bullying in middle school and high school, but in many cases he just didn't recognize people were mocking him, which was kind of a blessing. The bigger blessing is the Church youth group he grew up in LOVED him, and these were some of the most popular kids in school.  They pulled him along to many things, and he never shied away from the stage (literally, he joined drama and did plays and the crowd would erupt for him). He has the kindest, sweetest heart I've ever encountered and even when he says things that aren't entirely appropriate, people can tell.  After a rough start early on with advisors in middle school saying he would probably not be able to live on his own, he ended up with an advanced high school diploma with a 3.2 GPA and won the MountainTop award for the student overcoming obstacles. He is in his second year in college, and though the pandemic has thrown us all for a loop, he has made the President's and Dean's list. He's been employed at Publix (regional grocery store) for over a year doing front service work, and he is loved there as well. He is not able to drive because there are so many elements we process that we take for granted, whereas he goes through a checklist of look left, look right, go (but doesn't either really see the cars coming or can't judge distance).  It's not safe for him to drive alone at this point. For those of you who have it or have children who have it, there are better days ahead and you can accomplish so much, your path getting there may just be a little longer.

Snoopy said:
You are right, so many activities are geared towards children.  We have connected with a State organization that actually gave him driving lessons for a year and do things like career placement.  He is studying history (instead of football like you, he could tell you anything about the presidents) and he wants to be a teacher. I'm so hopeful this happens but I worry that the process of managing a middle school classroom may be too much. The structure and schedule of a school setting really appeals to him though, and he is the best with children.

Where are you located? If it's somewhere where I have contacts I'll be happy to stick my neck out and try to pull some favors. No guarantees at all but I've always believed networking is the best means to find good work 
I am in Wisconsin with a Civil Engineering degree.

Good thread.

I do remember you mentioning that you had Aspergers a while back and it certainly explains quite a bit about your posting style.  A good friend of mine is a physician that specializes in the space (his brother and 2 of his nephews are all on various parts of the spectrum)  so I'm fairly familiar with some of the issues that you've addressed here.

I know that you've got into some scuffles here over the years (I'm sure partially due to your circumstances) but just know....you handle it FAR better than some others I've seen. There's a guy on another board that I frequent that has it as well. He writes much more concisely than you do and might get to his point a bit more quickly, but I've NEVER seen someone more nasty on a message board. Just CONSTANTLY picking fights with people, mocking anyone who thinks differently than him, sees EVERYTHING as black or white. Its just painful to deal with it. I TRY to remember that he really cant help it, but its really hard some times.

Its always been clear (at least to me) that you're a good dude at heart.
Really appreciate it. Yes I was probably the same way as said poster when I was first on forums. When I started I was not diagnosed yet. It was 4 yrs later I was. If Some of my buddies from the old forum were here now and saw my posting style they'd laugh at the one posts but would be amazed at how non confrontational I am now. It's like the people at my work. Those new think I don't shut up talking. When people who've known me since day 1 say "no he was as quite as a mouse and only talked to me and like 5 other people who weren't friends of his then." they are in shock. 

DJax... In hindsight this makes perfect sense. I'm very sorry for the times I've been abrasive toward you. I respect the hell out of you for coming forward like this.

Understand that Life doesn't necessarily owe you anything, but also understand that your diagnosis doesn't mean you're any less intelligent, just that your mind applies that processing power in different ways and in different places.

It's good that you're identifying where your "powers" lie, Leverage them and kick ### GB. 

This means a lot coming from you. We had our fair share of disagreements.. We both got the mod hammer in our AB disagreement. But that is water under the bridge at this point. 

This was difficult for us because at the time, autism had a bigger stigma attached to it.  I believe that stigma has diminished thanks to people sharing personal stories like this. Our son was originally diagnosed with PDD-NOS (as Snoopy mentioned in the quote below) when he was 5 years old. In Kindergarten, he had a meltdown when they got off schedule and it took 3 adults to pry him off the lunchroom doors.  He did a second year of Kindergarten and it was a huge benefit. We had wonderful resources all through elementary, middle, and high school. They worked with him in creating schedules and recognizing when he was overstimulated (one teacher put a big fluffy chair near the coat room and called it Alaska for when students needed to chill). We went through a variety of medications, but took him off in the 7th grade when he started crying uncontrollably and I asked him what was wrong and he just said I don't know.
I never went to Kindergarten 2 yrs preschool. At the tie my diagnosis was Tourettes and my mom met the local Elementary school principle (Not sure how they met) who said we can give him all the learning things he needs and we want to have him go with his friends to 1st grade and not be held back. One of the greatest things they did. I was I had similar benefits as your son he probably had an IEP like myself too. I was on adderall for most of my time in school. Would take 2 or 3 times a day and would have to go to the school nurse certain time every day (usually after lunch). When we moved as my parents didn't want me going to the local Middle School my they didn't have as great reasources and I struggled way more with math. I went from all Special eD classes to by the time I graduated HS Special ed in only Science (Though I wished I'd stayed for Math). I stopped all medications around 8 or so yrs ago. My psych was only mad I didn't say anything to him prior

They moved his diagnosis to Asperger's and it qualified him for additional services in the 7th grade (access to aides, taking tests in a different room with more time).  As he matured, you could really see him working through the process.  When a schedule would change abruptly, he would say out loud "OK, we are just going to accept it and move on". There were random spots of bullying in middle school and high school, but in many cases he just didn't recognize people were mocking him, which was kind of a blessing. The bigger blessing is the Church youth group he grew up in LOVED him, and these were some of the most popular kids in school.  They pulled him along to many things, and he never shied away from the stage (literally, he joined drama and did plays and the crowd would erupt for him). He has the kindest, sweetest heart I've ever encountered and even when he says things that aren't entirely appropriate, people can tell.  After a rough start early on with advisors in middle school saying he would probably not be able to live on his own, he ended up with an advanced high school diploma with a 3.2 GPA and won the MountainTop award for the student overcoming obstacles. He is in his second year in college, and though the pandemic has thrown us all for a loop, he has made the President's and Dean's list. He's been employed at Publix (regional grocery store) for over a year doing front service work, and he is loved there as well. He is not able to drive because there are so many elements we process that we take for granted, whereas he goes through a checklist of look left, look right, go (but doesn't either really see the cars coming or can't judge distance).  It's not safe for him to drive alone at this point. For those of you who have it or have children who have it, there are better days ahead and you can accomplish so much, your path getting there may just be a little longer.
 I've been Working at ACME Our local food chain but originally was an A&P Superfresh for 16 yrs. People love me. Like I said my one ASD left who I really liked (Ok she was really nice and she was hot and my kryptonite was her dam doe like eyes) and knew something was a bit off with me when she was our intern. She did a lot to help me and the guy who took over she kind of had him take her place in making sure I was ok. When she left like I said with my friend dying and the whole other stuff I didn't take too well. Thankfully I had a few people who knew something was wrong and just let me calm down. This past Saturday a lot was going on at once for me (too much stimulation) where I had to go calm down a bit. When I use to do carts and stuff I had a friend who worked produce cutting fruit. She was and always had been great too me till she left. One of the first friends I had there. When I was off schedule or too much going on my safe spot was running to her. I had a Front end person who managed when the boss wasn't there great too me as well. She had a ton of family there and despite our political differences they love me. Her cousin has a sister just a bit younger then me with issues so she was always very well aware of any help I needed at work or going to bat for me too.  The family protected me and even called HR on a former Store Manager for some stuff he was doing to me I didn't notice either. Still have people there who will go to bat for me. Like I've said before because of my diagnosis I dod blurt things out that aren't appropriate at times. I also do get away with saying stuff to my manager and hire ups as well for this reason. But because I'm also so liked and the higher ups do respect me I feel like I can give my opinion and my bosses let me despite the fact they'd probably rather handle it themselves. Too me I don't get why Higher ups and managers of a store should make decisions that can effect the employees and customers without really consenting the employees themselves about issues and stuff first. 

I was also bullied in MS but a lot of those same people became my friends in HS. See what happened with me was that a lot of people came to respect me. I fought my own battles didn't run and tell teachers. I don't walk like I should and on my toes so my walking is a bit funny I got picked on for that. In MS after lunch in the hall a few guys including my friend Freddie (RIP was the one who died last Aug and had apologized to me) and his buddies were skipping down the hall way mocking me running up to my face. I just on instinct threw my hands and crossed them with my arms and just started pushing them to the side. One of the bigger guys who is now my friend too went straight into the wall (literally breaking it), two others went flying and I knocked Fred so hard into the soda machine a soda came out. Cool Free Drink for. People were impressed at least in school I never showed they got to me. Inside though and at home it showed. By HS all of that changed and by the time we graduated and were going to bars well lets just say if they caught anyone but them messing with me in a way they didn't like you were probably leaving in an ambulance. 

You are right, so many activities are geared towards children.  We have connected with a State organization that actually gave him driving lessons for a year and do things like career placement.  He is studying history (instead of football like you, he could tell you anything about the presidents) and he wants to be a teacher. I'm so hopeful this happens but I worry that the process of managing a middle school classroom may be too much. The structure and schedule of a school setting really appeals to him though, and he is the best with children.
I'd suggest maybe he does elementary school. I have a cousin who did Middle School and it was one of the worst jobs he had. He got a job with HS and it was better but he know is in Real Estate with his best friend. I get along really well with kids younger then me as well too. I'm 32 and the 16-18 yrs old crowd and some 19-20yrs olds too. I have to be careful though as because of how young I look some of the girls think I'm much younger and try and start some Uh hem "inappropriate" conversations with me and I have to flag them for a personal foul there and tell them I'm 32. I've helped a few of them and a lot of them love coming to me for questions on work. I finally asked one of them why they all come to me and they said you are the most approachable and you are always here no matter what. 

I myself have no license yet. I've done some studying. I've procrastinated because I'm just really scared if I try and find out I can't drive it's gonna make me lose it. I'm afraid of not being allowed to drive and that would just really devastate me. For yrs my parents did hold me back do to my slow and delayed reflexes but playing baseball especially 1B and Pitcher and most of the Infield got my reflexes going a lot quicker. Recess football as well did too. I've done the PA phone app drivers test a few times. My issue is I'm not a great test taker as is. Like I know material but when it comes to putting pen to paper its hard. My favorite final in School was my English one SR year of HS. Basically last essay was your dream life? Well considering I'm always day dreaming I had this down to the way I wanted to be buried type thing. I wanted to own a bar restaurant maybe in the Caribbean. It would be localized from Philadelphia, sports bar but with the local island feel and stuff. Friends and family always welcomed to come down. Etc etc. My Teacher was so impressed with it and wondered how I was so detailed. I told him when I sleep in your class that early in the morning what do you think I'm dreaming about? He looks at me, looks back at the paper and looks up at me again and says. "That might be the best answer a student has even given me that made sense since I started teaching here." 

DJackson10 said:
I'm afraid of not being allowed to drive and that would just really devastate me.
Why?  I've gone my whole life without being able to drive.  (I have vision problems.  Try to imagine thinking that the car is driving into a wall even though you know it isn't.)  It's not the end of the world.  It's not ice cream and chocolates, either, but it's doable.  Truly, there are worse things.

What do you think about people with autism / Asperger's serving in law enforcement?

http://www.bbc.com/news/disability-43584212
This pisses me off that the URL has "disability" in it.

Perceiving the world in a way different than most is not a disability.  It's just a different way.  

People on the spectrum at all levels have many, many awesome gifts that all of us could benefit from. 

Users who are viewing this thread