What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bear In A Hot Tub - Drain And Clean? (1 Viewer)

Bear In A Hot Tub - Drain And Clean?

• Definitely Drain And Clean

Votes: 41 68.3%
  • Probably Drain And Clean

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably Would Not Drain And Clean

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Definitely Would Not Drain And Clean

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
You may have seen this funny video. Apparently a bear got into a hot tub and hung out a little bit. https://www.wkrn.com/news/must-see-video-bear-relaxes-in-gatlinburg-hot-tub/

This sparked a conversation with some friends about what you'd do if this happened to your hot tub.

Specifically, would you drain and the clean the hot tub if a bear had been swimming around in it for 15 minutes?

Important:

Assume there was no visible sign at all the bear had been there. No bear fur or anything. In other words, unless you'd seen it on the video camera, there would be no way to have known the bear had ever been there. 

And for sake of discussion assume drain and clean costs $20 and 1 hour of your time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
True story though. My mom had a hot tub at her house when I was in college and I used to throw parties when she was out of town. I got caught when this guy Anthony came over (NTTAWWT) who was hairy like a bear. Broke the filter. 

Drain the tub in my opinion. 

Yes.  

I lived in CO, and my buddy had his car broken into by bears on more than one occasion.  The stench was rough.  Wash, scrub, wash. 

Also, in saying this sparked a discussion among friends, I assume none were women.

Any woman has any say whatsoever in the care of said hot tub, and that thing is getting cleaned.  

You ever have to scrub a pet’s poop out of carpeting? You ever see a bear use a bidet after taking a dump?

Drain, clean, and re-fill.

Translated 

Are you cool with sitting in bear poop soup? 

No 24

Not cool but ok with it I guess 5

I don't know 0

Yes 1

Oh hell yes 2

Just great.  Now we need to change our rhetorical question to "does a bear poop in a hot tub?"  

Also, in saying this sparked a discussion among friends, I assume none were women.

Any woman has any say whatsoever in the care of said hot tub, and that thing is getting cleaned.  
Mrs APK says that she would put some extra chlorine in, but that’s it.  No big deal to her.

My son said “hire someone to do a deep clean of the whole tub.”

Just great.  Now we need to change our rhetorical question to "does a bear poop in a hot tub?"  
I was about to say, given what a bear does in the woods, and given how they aren’t known for bathing, best to drain and clean at least.

why?  Hot water and chemicals in those things would kill anything besides, the question assumes that there is no visible evidence like bear dingleberries to deal with. 

misread this as beer, wasn’t really understanding the issue 

how much does the bear drink? is he a friendly happy go lucky drunk or mean and ornery?  

Another consideration may be would the bear stench attract another bear.  

The smell might be un-bear-able, huh?

Bears get pretty smelly. $20 and an hour of time is a no brainer. Clean the tub

Yes.  

I lived in CO, and my buddy had his car broken into by bears on more than one occasion.  The stench was rough.  Wash, scrub, wash. 

True story though. My mom had a hot tub at her house when I was in college and I used to throw parties when she was out of town. I got caught when this guy Anthony came over (NTTAWWT) who was hairy like a bear. Broke the filter. 

Drain the tub in my opinion. 
The OP said there was zero evidence that a bear had been in the hot tub if not for the video.  That means there is no stench, no hair, no floaties, no clogged drain........nothing.  The water is filtered and chemicaled as usual (assuming you are maintaining the equipment correctly).  If there is no evidence of any kind in the water then I would probably just stay on my normal water change schedule (should be done periodically anyway).  

Now if there was other evidence (like a clogged filter, smell, etc) then that is a different story and sure it would be worth it to drain, do your PM's etc as a normal maintaining activity of the equipment.  

I voted probably not but that was before I saw the video. I was thinking hot tub integrated with swimming pool, so much more water, much bigger filter. That thing? I'd definitely drain and deep clean. Yuck!

Users who are viewing this thread