What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car thefts (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
Perhaps politicians and DAs will start to take this issue seriously now after the DC carjacking death

It is out of hand. This trend started years ago and has just been ignored. 

At some point these teens are going to start getting shot. But politicians arent worried about that because they would just use those incidents to their benefit. 

CNN

@CNN

Police said the girls, 13 and 15, assaulted an Uber Eats driver with a Taser while carjacking him, which led to an accident in which he was fatally injured.

CNN is just gross.  That guy was flat murdered, not fatally injured in an accident.

Perhaps politicians and DAs will start to take this issue seriously now after the DC carjacking death

At some point these teens are going to start getting shot. But politicians arent worried about that because they would just use those incidents to their benefit. 
Car thefts have exploded in my state mostly by teens because they know no jail time involved.  It’s all over community Facebook pages with people posting door bell or security videos of teens getting drop off in suburban neighborhoods.

CNN @CNN

Police said the girls, 13 and 15, assaulted an Uber Eats driver with a Taser while carjacking him, which led to an accident in which he was fatally injured.

CNN is just gross.  That guy was flat murdered, not fatally injured in an accident.
Murder is a legal determination. CNN could be sued for defamation if they stated they had murdered him at this stage of the proceedings. They were subsequently charge with murder so they could now be called the alleged or accused murderers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Best not to respond to him when he pulls out the  "i dont understand" card. He understands. He just wants to pretend the spike in car thefts and lack of enforcement is anecdotal. 
No I don’t. And I still don’t understand. I was unaware that carjacking was decriminalized. That’s a stupid move. Was it done by Democrats, part of a political ideology? That’s really dumb if so. 

Car thefts have exploded in my state mostly by teens because they know no jail time involved.  It’s all over community Facebook pages with people posting door bell or security videos of teens getting drop off in suburban neighborhoods.
Yep. Same here.

Nextdoor has tons of them. 

No I don’t. And I still don’t understand. I was unaware that carjacking was decriminalized. That’s a stupid move. Was it done by Democrats, part of a political ideology? That’s really dumb if so. 
The main push behind the decriminalization of car theft was when a majority of Republicans decided it didn't rise to an offense that deserved jailtime.

Tell me, does that sound right?

Any one who steals a car should go to jail. Full stop. I’m all in favor of decriminalizing certain crimes but this isn’t one of them. 

I still don’t understand why this is a political issue. Honestly I don’t. What am I missing? 

Car thefts have been decriminalized by politicians as it’s consider a victimless crime.
One of the cities near me tried to pass a law that would make it a fine to leave your car unlocked. 

Victim shaming in order to avoid focusing on the actual issue. 

That is where we are at. 

One of the cities near me tried to pass a law that would make it a fine to leave your car unlocked. 

Victim shaming in order to avoid focusing on the actual issue. 

That is where we are at. 
That’s insane.  Wow.

It’s also crazy to try to stop a carjacker from taking your car.  If you have insurance, just let the car go.

Training in probability? What's the probability behind the push for decriminalization of car theft being a Republican issue? A Democratic one? Who steals cars, and who are their likely allies in congresses everywhere? Confer amongst yourselves. Please debate. 
I get your point but I’m not aware that there’s been any progressive movement to decriminalize carjackings. If there has been that’s awful. 
But man, if it’s a Democrat thing all somebody has to do is show me some article or something, rather than the snarky replies I’ve received. 

That’s insane.  Wow.

It’s also crazy to try to stop a carjacker from taking your car.  If you have insurance, just let the car go.
Not everybody can afford the 500 dollar deductible or more. And maybe they dont have rental car coverage. And maybe their phone is in there. Or their backpack. Or their kid. 

Training in probability? What's the probability behind the push for decriminalization of car theft being a Republican issue? A Democratic one? Who steals cars, and who are their likely allies in congresses everywhere? Confer amongst yourselves. Please debate. 
Who indeed. I hope that you are not suggesting that Democrats are the likely allies of criminals who steal cars and that they see that group as some sort of constituency that they would try to protect. 

Not everybody can afford the 500 dollar deductible or more. And maybe they dont have rental car coverage. And maybe their phone is in there. Or their backpack. Or their kid. 
Or your initial reaction when someone tries to #### with you is to react back.  Things like this often happen so fast time to rationally think doesn’t occur. 

Then it should be quite easy for you to connect the dots you have laid out.

What democrat pushed the bill to decriminalize car theft?  Give me a name.

Here's an article about theft from cars, not cars themselves. 

It's a little bit interesting: misdemeanor if the car door was not locked, burden on prosecutor to demonstrate the door was locked.  If they can't get the vehicle owner to testify (I.e. out of state), they can't push for a felony.  This leads to out of state plates being targeted.

I'm not sure if this is what OP is talking about though.

I get your point but I’m not aware that there’s been any progressive movement to decriminalize carjackings. If there has been that’s awful. 
But man, if it’s a Democrat thing all somebody has to do is show me some article or something, rather than the snarky replies I’ve received. 
Try right in your home state with Proposition 47. There's a litany of articles about the spike in auto thefts due to the reduction in penalties for amounts stolen.

From Fox News in California:

"Proposition 47 is seen by critics as one of California's biggest blunders. Supported by the state Democratic Party and championed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the referendum was passed by a wide margin in 2014. The idea behind it was to reduce certain non-violent felonies to misdemeanors in order to free up resources for cops and prosecutors to focus on violent offenders."

But you can look to the LA Times and SF Chronicle for other stories about Prop 47. Fox is just the only one so far to single out exactly who championed the Prop politically. So did the LA Times, but they pointed to advocacy groups that were obviously liberal. I'm not wasting my time digging further, because you know the answer. tim, your new party hates law and order when it comes to property rights. Get used to it.

Then it should be quite easy for you to connect the dots you have laid out.

What democrat pushed the bill to decriminalize car theft?  Give me a name.
I don't chase down bad faith requests for links. It's pretty obvious who supports decriminalization of theft and reduction in penalties for theft.

You can bless your lucky stars I even wasted time typing this out, sir.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
I don't chase down bad faith requests for links. It's pretty obvious who supports decriminalization of theft and reduction in penalties for theft.

You can bless your lucky stars I even wasted time typing this out, sir.
You are the one lobbing vague accusations - don't accuse me of bad faith requests for links.  

I posted above the result of my quick search - misdemeanors only in Cali for breaking into cars but that's clearly not auto theft.  If you have something better, please share otherwise I have no idea what the hell you are tilting at.

And please hold the snide - it's not appreciated.

Try right in your home state with Proposition 47. There's a litany of articles about the spike in auto thefts due to the reduction in penalties for amounts stolen.

"Proposition 47 is seen by critics as one of California's biggest blunders. Supported by the state Democratic Party and championed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the referendum was passed by a wide margin in 2014. The idea behind it was to reduce certain non-violent felonies to misdemeanors in order to free up resources for cops and prosecutors to focus on violent offenders."

But you can look to the LA Times and SF Chronicle for other stories about Prop 47. Fox is just the only one so far to single out exactly who championed the Prop politically. So did the LA Times, but they pointed to advocacy groups that were obviously liberal. I'm not wasting my time digging further, because you know the answer. tim, your new party hates law and order when it comes to property rights. Get used to it.
It looks to me like prop 47 is related to items with values less than $950.  Is that what we are discussing here - lots of cars worth less than a grand getting jacked?

Well I vote against almost every proposition on principle. 
My new party doesn’t hate property rights. But there are those within it that have less respect for them than I do. I’m trying to help defeat them. 

Sounds like this proposition would lead to more DA resources being directed towards violent felonies like car jacking.

Do you have any support for the idea that "Politicians have decriminalized car theft? " Because I'm pretty sure that isn't true. 
https://www.wfsb.com/news/new-bill-signed-into-law-creates-leniency-for-juveniles-accused-of-stealing-cars/article_eaa50846-e488-11e9-b347-8bd5d2167a86.html

Found numerous others states did the same.  Again the pattern here in ct is a car load of teens are drop off in suburban neighborhoods then go from car to car until they find one unlocked.  

Do you have any support for the idea that "Politicians have decriminalized car theft? " Because I'm pretty sure that isn't true. 
https://www.wfsb.com/news/new-bill-signed-into-law-creates-leniency-for-juveniles-accused-of-stealing-cars/article_eaa50846-e488-11e9-b347-8bd5d2167a86.html

Found numerous others states did the same.  Again the pattern here in ct is a car load of teens are drop off in suburban neighborhoods then go from car to car until they find one unlocked.

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/handling-the-ct-car-break-in-epidemic/520-15a7e6d8-4dbc-46a1-a887-e5cf2751720e

police can’t chase suspects

Car theft -- the word used in your thread title -- is down quite a bit nationwide over the last 30 years (link), even with a 9% increase in 2020 (link).

Car jackings are up significantly in several cities, although nationwide data seems to be incomplete.

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/handling-the-ct-car-break-in-epidemic/520-15a7e6d8-4dbc-46a1-a887-e5cf2751720e

Finally - some actual news stories on the subject.

I would agree this is probably a bad law.  I suggest taking it up with your local reps.

Did you watch the portnoy pizza video with the car theft that happened in the background?

Watch the police car get hit by the vehicle driving away. Watch the police not even make an effort to go after them.

Car jackings are up significantly in several cities, although nationwide data seems to be incomplete.
The police department there (Minneapolis) is stretched thin, sharply reduced by retirements in the wake of last summer's protests and by budget cuts resulting from local "defund the police" activism. Minneapolis Police Commander Charlie Adams told ABC News that "80% of our carjackings and robberies are being done by juveniles, ages from 9 up to 17."

Adams said. "Some of these have been involved in 10 or more robberies. They're not being held," he noted.

I, for one, am shocked that Defund The Police has resulted in more crime. SHOCKED

State politicians make state laws.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/california-law-leads-to-car-theft-crisis

https://www.ncsl.org/print/cj/FSLautotheftpptchart.pdf

I believe if car unlocked and minor then misdemeanor 
First of all, I thought we were talking about stealing cars, not stealing stuff from cars. Second, that California law only adds an element to the California crime of "auto burglary, " it doesn't decriminalize theft of cars or theft from cars. It may be true that certain thefts are classified as misdemeanors based on the value of whatever was stolen, but every state, including Connecticut, uses dollar value to distinguish misdemeanors and various levels of felonies. 

The police department there (Minneapolis) is stretched thin, sharply reduced by retirements in the wake of last summer's protests and by budget cuts resulting from local "defund the police" activism. Minneapolis Police Commander Charlie Adams told ABC News that "80% of our carjackings and robberies are being done by juveniles, ages from 9 up to 17."

Adams said. "Some of these have been involved in 10 or more robberies. They're not being held," he noted.

I, for one, am shocked that Defund The Police has resulted in more crime. SHOCKED
In MKE car thefts are up 152%

People really need to stop entrapping all these poor thieves into stealing their cars. 

Again, they didn't decriminalize theft, they created a diversion program within the CT juvenile courts to allow kids to complete a program and avoid a conviction. And according to your article, the rate of stealing from cars in CT decreased after the change. 

I won't deny it's a big problem in Connecticut right now. Those same gangs of Connecticut kids have been stealing in my Rhode Island town and surrounding areas. Exact pattern you described. 

The ABC story does not provide any facts to support the "budget cuts" claim. As far as I can tell, the 2020 Minneapolis budget included a 4.5% increase in funding for the police department (see here).

The 2021 budget does include a decrease in police funding. But the ABC article is from 2020, so the 2021 budget cuts are not relevant to that article.

Thus, it would seem that crime increased in Minnesota in 2020 without any defunding at all.

Users who are viewing this thread