Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Car thefts


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Did you watch the portnoy pizza video with the car theft that happened in the background?

Watch the police car get hit by the vehicle driving away. Watch the police not even make an effort to go after them.

 

I'm not familiar with that video. 

While thus far no one has shown any examples of politicians decriminalizing auto theft, it is worth mentioning that high speed chases are frowned upon these days, so that could explain why the police aren't being more aggressive.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:
10 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Yep, edited.

The point is that "defund the police" seems to have little to do with 2020 crime increases in Minneapolis.

Wrong again Sea Duck.

Oh really? Can you provide a link showing that the Minneapolis police budget decreased in 2020?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sea Duck said:

Oh really? Can you provide a link showing that the Minneapolis police budget decreased in 2020?

:confused: 

Again, I was quoting the article in the link that YOU posted. Seriously, wtf? Were you hoping no one would click the link or actually read the article?

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:
13 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

Oh really? Can you provide a link showing that the Minneapolis police budget decreased in 2020?

:confused: 

Again, I was quoting the article in the link that YOU posted. Seriously, wtf? Were you hoping no one would click the link or actually read the article?

This is really bizarre. You're usually one of the main media critics in this forum. But now you see a story that supports your feelings, and suddenly you don't care about the facts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, randall146 said:

I'm not familiar with that video. 

While thus far no one has shown any examples of politicians decriminalizing auto theft, it is worth mentioning that high speed chases are frowned upon these days, so that could explain why the police aren't being more aggressive.  

What kind of proof would you like? A copy of a law that says vehicle thefts are officially decriminalized? Because you wont get that.

Proof that cities like portland have people that get arrested 7 times in a year for stealing cars and dont serve a day in jail? (Ashley white)

Or how about the guy in San Fransisco that has been arrested for stealing cars 13 times in the last 18months? 

Or how about this guy...

In the early morning hours of June 24, Treveon Thurman, then 17, walked through the apparently unlocked door of a Southwest Side Madison home, stole a purse containing the keys to a 2011 BMW X5, and then stole the car, according to a criminal complaint.

Police caught up to him about 15 hours later some 2 miles away. A short foot chase ensued and, as he was being arrested, Thurman accused officers of targeting him because he’s black and because he had just been released from custody for what the complaint describes as “similar crimes.”

He was released two days later on his own recognizance and violated the terms of that release in mid-July, according to court records. On Aug. 16, a Dane County judge dismissed the felony vehicle-theft charge that had been filed against him but declined to dismiss a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest and ordered pretrial supervision.

As of Friday, Thurman was still sitting in the Dane County Jail, charged with 11 car thefts — 10 from about a monthlong period this past winter and, after prosecutors refiled charges, the one from June 24. Prior to his arrest on Jan. 10, he’d violated the terms of release on the June 24 case two more times, and been released on his own recognizance two more times, court records show. Over three months, the courts have reduced his bond in the cases to a total of $4,350 from $12,500.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

This is really bizarre. You're usually one of the main media critics in this forum. But now you see a story that supports your feelings, and suddenly you don't care about the facts?

Wrong again Sea Duck. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:
39 minutes ago, randall146 said:

I'm not familiar with that video. 

While thus far no one has shown any examples of politicians decriminalizing auto theft, it is worth mentioning that high speed chases are frowned upon these days, so that could explain why the police aren't being more aggressive.  

What kind of proof would you like? A copy of a law that says vehicle thefts are officially decriminalized? Because you wont get that.

Proof that cities like portland have people that get arrested 7 times in a year for stealing cars and dont serve a day in jail? (Ashley white)

Or how about the guy in San Fransisco that has been arrested for stealing cars 13 times in the last 18months? 

I think the main issue is that you seem to be deliberately conflating car theft (which is down 66% over the past 30 years) with car jacking, and then using the decriminalization of the former to justify performative outrage over the latter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

What kind of proof would you like? A copy of a law that says vehicle thefts are officially decriminalized? Because you wont get that. 

I was responding to claims that lawmakers decriminalized auto theft/theft from autos/carjacking. So yeah, I was hoping for a copy of a law. That's what decriminalization means. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

I think the main issue is that you seem to be deliberately conflating car theft (which is down 66% over the past 30 years) with car jacking, and then using the decriminalization of the former to justify performative outrage over the latter.

Car thefts and carjackings are both up in recent times. Who gives a crap about 30 years ago? 

You are trying to misdirect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, randall146 said:

I was responding to claims that lawmakers decriminalized auto theft/theft from autos/carjacking. So yeah, I was hoping for a copy of a law. That's what decriminalization means. 

He said politicians which I didnt take to mean lawmakers. I took it to mean prosecutors and elected judges. 

And decriminalization does not have to be a law. 

Kim foxx is decriminalizing shoplifting less than 1000 dollars. The state law threshold is 300 dollars. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Not everybody can afford the 500 dollar deductible or more. And maybe they dont have rental car coverage. And maybe their phone is in there. Or their backpack. Or their kid. 

A lot of people can't afford car insurance right now, let alone the deductible. Plus this guy used his car as his primary source of income. I would just encourage people to donate to the GoFundMe page setup for him. I hope his family can find some peace over time after this tragic loss. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:
38 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

I think the main issue is that you seem to be deliberately conflating car theft (which is down 66% over the past 30 years) with car jacking, and then using the decriminalization of the former to justify performative outrage over the latter.

Car thefts and carjackings are both up in recent times. Who gives a crap about 30 years ago? 

Your very first post conflated thefts and carjacking, and then claimed that an unspecified "trend" had started years ago.

I pointed out that car thefts have not had any such "trend" which match your unsourced claim. (There were slight increases in 2000-03 and in 2014-17 before returning to a downward direction.)

When you wrote "This trend started years ago", did you really mean to write "This trend started last year"? If so, it would certainly be a valid statement. But, it would be a pretty meaningless one in relation to your alleged outrage over decriminalization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, randall146 said:

Again, they didn't decriminalize theft, they created a diversion program within the CT juvenile courts to allow kids to complete a program and avoid a conviction. And according to your article, the rate of stealing from cars in CT decreased after the change. 

I won't deny it's a big problem in Connecticut right now. Those same gangs of Connecticut kids have been stealing in my Rhode Island town and surrounding areas. Exact pattern you described. 

So the program decrease the rate of items stolen from cars but the theft of cars increase dramatically.  And why would anyone think that’s an improvement and no it didn’t decriminalize theft?  What am I missing?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, moleculo said:

Then it should be quite easy for you to connect the dots you have laid out.

What democrat pushed the bill to decriminalize car theft?  Give me a name.

 

Direct Headline: Carjackings increase in major cities across the US in 2020

Ben Bradley/WGN-TV  Dec 3, 2020 / 07:11 PM CST

https://www.newsnationnow.com/investigation/increase-in-carjackings-in-major-cities-across-the-us-in-2020/

 

Direct Headline: BLM On Bailing Out Alleged Looters: Cash Bail Is The Problem

By Eric Stock • Jul 13, 2020

https://www.wglt.org/post/blm-bailing-out-alleged-looters-cash-bail-problem#stream/0

 

Direct Headline: 1,500 rioters arrested in Chicago; most not facing serious charges

By Chuck Goudie and Barb Markoff, Christine Tressel and Ross Weidner Wednesday, June 3, 2020

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-news-riots-protests-looting/6228227/

 

Direct Headline: Two charities have bailed scores of felony defendants out of Cook County Jail. Some were soon charged with new crimes.

By David Jackson, Todd Lighty and Gary Marx Apr 29, 2020 at 6:55 AM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/investigations/ct-charities-bail-reform-cook-county-coronavirus-20200429-wgofyh4pnrdixgps76c7ck7bhu-story.html

 

Direct Headline: Lightfoot defends heavy police presence around her home

“Given the threats that I have personally received. Given the threats to my home and my family, I’m gonna do everything to make sure that they are protected,” the mayor said Thursday. “I make no apologies whatsoever for that.”

By Fran Spielman Aug 20, 2020, 1:02pm CDT

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2020/8/20/21377608/lightfoot-police-home-security-protests-george-floyd-pandemic-logan-square

 

***PICTURES***:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/c3Qwh7maFFF4lW1o6g9LSRa3uRc=/46x11:627x389/920x613/filters:focal(269x170:371x272):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/67236240/IMG_5731.0.jpeg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/KfvEZhZYiVtTjwoesxHwyAdvS_4=/0x0:800x598/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:800x598):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/21701627/FullSizeRender.jpeg

 

TRUNCATED FOR LENGTH****

 

Edited by GordonGekko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

***********

Let's look at the actual narrative here. The first article listed discusses a  Chicago woman named Katie was carjacked at gunpoint and had not just her car stolen, but all her possessions as well, her purse, her wallet, her electronics, etc. Let's also keep in mind that once the car jackers had her car keys, they also ver likely had the keys to her residence and a likely easy access point into it ( car garage door opener, photo ID to get an address, etc, etc).  Her carjacker was caught and released the same day for 500 dollars.

Chicago has the worst rate of carjackings right now in America.

During the rioting and looting of 2020, countless small businesses, many with limited or poor or ineffective or even no business insurance were completely destroyed. Add the pandemic and many aren't coming back. We are talking about how people feed their kids. We are talking about people who could, very soon, if not already, will be homeless. Have you experienced a Chicago winter? I have. Imagine homeless kids in a Chicago winter. Why? Because the parents were irresponsible crack heads? No, the parents happened to try to live the American dream and start a business and build something, a legacy for their kids, to protect them, to leave them something behind for the next generation of kids in that line. Then they got looted and burned out and as CPD stood back, under the orders and indifference of the insane leftist Lori Lightfoot, they watched the looters and rioters get bailed out. Because the DNC did not want to lose the black vote. They couldn't risk BLM and it's massive platform to accuse the DNC of stopping the "message"

Do you think the message of  "If you loot, riot and burn, you'll face no real consequences and you'll be back out the next day to do it all over again" has zero to do with the carefree carjacking mentality going on in Chicago now?

Compound this with Mayor Lori Lightfoot surrounding her own residence with an army of cops. Small businesses who pay taxes, the lifeblood of any city, and create jobs, no one is protecting them. But Lightfoot decides you can't protest on her street and some nights she had up to 150 officers in front of her house. Her own commanders begged her to move into a high rise where she could be secured with a much smaller detail so many of those officers could be redeployed to other critical areas of the city being hit by crime and looting and rioting and burning. She said No.

***PICTURES***:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/c3Qwh7maFFF4lW1o6g9LSRa3uRc=/46x11:627x389/920x613/filters:focal(269x170:371x272):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/67236240/IMG_5731.0.jpeg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/KfvEZhZYiVtTjwoesxHwyAdvS_4=/0x0:800x598/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:800x598):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/21701627/FullSizeRender.jpeg

^

Look at the pictures again. ACTUALLY LOOK AT THEM. This looks like a shield wall from the old Roman Empire. For one person who makes all the decisions in Chicago but not for the actual rank and file who pay all those taxes to keep that city running and not for those getting carjacked. I'm a small business owner, so are many people here. Do you understand how much money we all spend on taxes, fees, licenses and on and on and on and on that end up in city coffers? Not to mention property taxes. For what? For this?

I'll CONNECT THE DOTS for you. And I'll GIVE YOU A NAME.

You can't create a feedback loop of "Do whatever you want, the cops will stand down, except for Lori Lightfoot" and not expect it to spiral out of control. And it has, and the massive number of carjackings in this Big Blue city are part of it. Lori Lightfoot is the name. At least in Chicago. Do you want me to give you a name in Portland too? San Francisco? Los Angeles? We can go down a long list of Big Blue cities that are backed by Big Blue governors that had a hand in this entire mess.

You know the names you aren't asking about? The names of kids of those small business owners burned and looted out in Chicago. Kids who might end up starving on the street and in the cold. If you haven't noticed, food banks are over taxed, so are the few shelters in major cities. It's not hard to imagine some of these kids and their families slipping through the cracks.

I'm not going to sit here and say the Republican Party has no blood on their hands. But on this, this specific issue, this is the Democratic Party taking a big fat #### on the faces of honest average Americans who just tried to chase the American Dream. For votes and for kick back money funneled from BLM via Act Blue through Thousand Currents into the DNC coffers. How disgusting is that. Is your tribalism so strong that you refuse to be disgusted by this level of pure repugnance.

This is the point where you run out of rope and call me, or any other Conservative and anyone else who disagrees with you as a racist. Go on, do it. Play your last cheap leftist identity politics hold out card. But wait, to do that, you'd have to ignore the reality that many of those burned and looted out small business owners were minorities.

Tim wants to know how this is political? Lori Lightfoot, in all her clear insanity, has turned Chicago, the worst place to have a car in America and expect to survive as an average person, into a walking full time pro media campaign for all Conservatives. If this "connect the dots" doesn't drive people to the Conservative viewpoint, I don't know what will.

Let me know if you want more names. I can just start picking some out of Big Blue cities, it won't be hard, and drop them on you like an orbital bombardment.

Edited by GordonGekko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Your very first post conflated thefts and carjacking, and then claimed that an unspecified "trend" had started years ago.

I pointed out that car thefts have not had any such "trend" which match your unsourced claim. (There were slight increases in 2000-03 and in 2014-17 before returning to a downward direction.)

When you wrote "This trend started years ago", did you really mean to write "This trend started last year"? If so, it would certainly be a valid statement. But, it would be a pretty meaningless one in relation to your alleged outrage over decriminalization.

I pointed out on the board back in 2017 about this very thing growing in popularity. 

Even posted this article about Stollies: Inside Milwaukee's Stolen Car Epidemic. From 2017. 

Think it is just a milwaukee thing? A reporter digs into Colorado’s auto theft boom after becoming a victim herself. From 2019

How about nashville? 

Quote

Across all of Metro Nashville, there were 3,114 cars reported stolen in 2018, an average of more than eight cars per day. And officials say the car-theft crime wave is picking up steam in 2019. 

“I’m comfortable in saying that the vast majority are easy targets,” says Sergeant Michael Fisher with East Precinct. 

By the beginning of April, Nashville was on pace for more than 3,336 vehicle thefts — more than all of 2018 in just four months. 

And it is impossible to fully separate car thefts and carjackings these days. Take the original incident I posted. The guy wasn't in the car when they tried to steal it. He was returning to the car. He saw them in the car and tried to yank her out of the car. That's why he is on the outside of the car like that. 

The reason for this is because cars are much harder to steal now. So stealing a car with keys in it is the preferred way of stealing it. Well cars that are running will often have their owners nearby, I know, crazy thoughts,  so of course more interaction between thief and victim will occur. 

The motivations behind why the cars are being stolen is much different than the way it used to be. Most cars aren't being stolen to be stripped for parts anymore. They are being stolen for joyriding and other crimes. The average age is also very different. Look at that graphic about the ages of chase suspects. That's also why so many of the cars are recovered now compared to previously. 

There are countless incidents all over this country of repeat offenders. Just being let out on signature bonds and ultimately having the charges dropped.

I would also add that the wave of car burglaries cant be separated from all of this since a big driver of that is people looking for keys. So they break into the car looking for keys, dont find them, take some stuff and move on to the next car. Thats why stats like this exist from the above article Since January 1, around 70% of stolen cars were snatched with the keys inside.

So take your lame gotcha attempts and your BS quick glances at statista and shove them. You clearly know nothing about this topic. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

So take your lame gotcha attempts and your BS quick glances at statista and shove them. You clearly know nothing about this topic. 

See, you posted a lot of good stuff up until this point.  Save the drama.

Carjacking and stealing of running vehicles is likely growing nationwide, that much is clear.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

See, you posted a lot of good stuff up until this point.  Save the drama.

Carjacking and stealing of running vehicles is likely growing nationwide, that much is clear.

I know its been awful in Chicago.  Thery are even waiting for the deliveries and stealing them off the car trailers now.  Why are they up?  I haven't heard any reason as to why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

I pointed out on the board back in 2017 about this very thing growing in popularity. 

Even posted this article about Stollies: Inside Milwaukee's Stolen Car Epidemic. From 2017. 

Think it is just a milwaukee thing? A reporter digs into Colorado’s auto theft boom after becoming a victim herself. From 2019

How about nashville? 

And it is impossible to fully separate car thefts and carjackings these days. Take the original incident I posted. The guy wasn't in the car when they tried to steal it. He was returning to the car. He saw them in the car and tried to yank her out of the car. That's why he is on the outside of the car like that. 

The reason for this is because cars are much harder to steal now. So stealing a car with keys in it is the preferred way of stealing it. Well cars that are running will often have their owners nearby, I know, crazy thoughts,  so of course more interaction between thief and victim will occur. 

The motivations behind why the cars are being stolen is much different than the way it used to be. Most cars aren't being stolen to be stripped for parts anymore. They are being stolen for joyriding and other crimes. The average age is also very different. Look at that graphic about the ages of chase suspects. That's also why so many of the cars are recovered now compared to previously. 

There are countless incidents all over this country of repeat offenders. Just being let out on signature bonds and ultimately having the charges dropped.

I would also add that the wave of car burglaries cant be separated from all of this since a big driver of that is people looking for keys. So they break into the car looking for keys, dont find them, take some stuff and move on to the next car. Thats why stats like this exist from the above article Since January 1, around 70% of stolen cars were snatched with the keys inside.

So take your lame gotcha attempts and your BS quick glances at statista and shove them. You clearly know nothing about this topic. 

 

Last paragraph excluded, this is a much better post than the original one.  Very interesting, something I hadn't paid attention to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, moleculo said:

It looks to me like prop 47 is related to items with values less than $950.  Is that what we are discussing here - lots of cars worth less than a grand getting jacked?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Prop-47-is-linked-to-increase-in-auto-thefts-12989137.php

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I wouldn't let any of the left-wingers on the board tell me how or what to post, @parasaurolophus. They just want to trip you up and make you work for four or more hours of your time while the headlines should be apparent enough to those of us having any semblance of reality. You're talking to a bunch of neo-socialist max zoom dweebies most of the time, just trying to poke poke poke at obvious arguments and making you chase the dog's tail for what should be apparent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Honestly, I wouldn't let any of the left-wingers on the board tell me how or what to post, @parasaurolophus. They just want to trip you up and make you work for four or more hours of your time while the headlines should be apparent enough to those of us having any semblance of reality. You're talking to a bunch of neo-socialist max zoom dweebies most of the time, just trying to poke poke poke at obvious arguments and making you chase the dog's tail for what should be apparent.

In other words, the obviousness of your position is so obvious you shouldn't have to back it up?  

Eta: I'd suggest reading the articles you post instead of skimming the headline to make sure your semblance of reality is apparent.

Edited by moleculo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, moleculo said:

In other words, the obviousness of your position is so obvious you shouldn't have to back it up?  

Eta: I'd suggest reading the articles you post instead of skimming the headline to make sure your semblance of reality is apparent.

No. It's that people like you and sho nuff are constantly calling for cites, etc., in bad faith. I've decided to let you all look it up and save me the time.

I do read the articles. When something simply states "Prop 47 credited for rise in vehicle theft," I'm usually following the lede for read comp. and brevity purposes.

YMMV.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

California crimes affected by Prop 47

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/post-conviction/resentencing/proposition-47/

The felony offenses that are changed to misdemeanors under Prop 47 are:

Grand theft auto, if the car that is stolen is worth nine hundred fifty dollars ($950) or less;

So you're telling me that this will have no effect on auto theft rates. Made me spend more time looking this thing up. There's one study that says auto thefts didn't rise. The rest of the articles and stuff I'm pulling from the newspaper says that they did.

But that's only California. Let parasaurolophus tell you about the rest of the states and their decriminalization records.

Edited by rockaction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, rockaction said:

No. It's that people like you and sho nuff are constantly calling for cites, etc., in bad faith. I've decided to let you all look it up and save me the time.

I do read the articles. When something simply states "Prop 47 credited for rise in vehicle theft," I'm usually following the lede for read comp. and brevity purposes.

YMMV.

Please dont lump me in with Sho, I don't constantly call for citation.  I rarely do it - I'm more than capable of googling for myself.

I honestly don't know what you guys are on about. I'm suddenly supposed to be aware of a national upswing in auto thefts?

And I did google myself, thank you very much. I learned about prop 47, and how auto thefts can be interpreted as stealing things from cars (per the article you posted) and stealing cars.  I can see how prop 47 can be related to the former, but not the latter, unless the car value is >$950.

I asked if this is about cars worth less than $1k being stolen is what this is about and you reply with an article about things being stolen from inside cars.  I have to believe you only skimmed the title, saw "car theft" and posted it.

Edited by moleculo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, rockaction said:

California crimes affected by Prop 47

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/post-conviction/resentencing/proposition-47/

The felony offenses that are changed to misdemeanors under Prop 47 are:

Grand theft auto, if the car that is stolen is worth nine hundred fifty dollars ($950) or less;

So you're telling me that this will have no effect on auto theft rates. Tool lefty made me spend more time looking this thing up. There's one study that says auto thefts didn't rise. The rest of the articles and stuff I'm pulling from the newspaper says that they did.

But that's only California. Let parasaurolophus tell you about the rest of the states and their decriminalization records.

Tool lefty?  Lobbing insults now?  Be better.

And you didn't have to look it up.  You could have read the link I posted yesterday and considered the question without lazily posting an article based on the headline only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, moleculo said:

It looks to me like prop 47 is related to items with values less than $950.  Is that what we are discussing here - lots of cars worth less than a grand getting jacked?

 

22 minutes ago, rockaction said:

California crimes affected by Prop 47

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/post-conviction/resentencing/proposition-47/

The felony offenses that are changed to misdemeanors under Prop 47 are:

Grand theft auto, if the car that is stolen is worth nine hundred fifty dollars ($950) or less;

So you're telling me that this will have no effect on auto theft rates. Tool lefty made me spend more time looking this thing up. There's one study that says auto thefts didn't rise. The rest of the articles and stuff I'm pulling from the newspaper says that they did.

But that's only California. Let parasaurolophus tell you about the rest of the states and their decriminalization records.

You could have just said cars worth less than $950 are being stolen at such a rate in California that it deserves national attention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Tool lefty?  Lobbing insults now?  Be better.

And you didn't have to look it up.  You could have read the link I posted yesterday and considered the question without lazily posting an article based on the headline only.

Oops. Please accept my apologies. That was supposed to be edited. I was typing angry about generalities on the board and then I edited it. My bad. I'm sorry about that. You're not that, moleculo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, rockaction said:

California crimes affected by Prop 47

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/post-conviction/resentencing/proposition-47/

The felony offenses that are changed to misdemeanors under Prop 47 are:

Grand theft auto, if the car that is stolen is worth nine hundred fifty dollars ($950) or less;

So you're telling me that this will have no effect on auto theft rates. Made me spend more time looking this thing up. There's one study that says auto thefts didn't rise. The rest of the articles and stuff I'm pulling from the newspaper says that they did.

But that's only California. Let parasaurolophus tell you about the rest of the states and their decriminalization records.

What kind of car can you buy for $950 or less? Considering how few cars there are in running order that you can buy for that, I don't think the law changed much as far as the number of people charged for felony auto theft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2021 at 9:31 AM, parasaurolophus said:

Perhaps politicians and DAs will start to take this issue seriously now after the DC carjacking death

It is out of hand. This trend started years ago and has just been ignored. 

At some point these teens are going to start getting shot. But politicians arent worried about that because they would just use those incidents to their benefit. 

who are the people stealing cars? do they know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, rockaction said:

Oops. Please accept my apologies. That was supposed to be edited. I was typing angry about generalities on the board and then I edited it. My bad. I'm sorry about that. You're not that, moleculo.

Apology accepted.  We can all get a bit heated in the moment.  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2021 at 2:50 PM, randall146 said:

I'm not familiar with that video. ...

 

VIDEO: HORRIFYING: Uber Driver Killed and the Media's Response •Mar 30, 2021

A 66-year-old Uber Eats driver was killed earlier this week when he was thrown from his vehicle after two teenage girls allegedly carjacked him near Nationals Park in southeast Washington, D.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJx0KRGyU1Y

https://youtu.be/aJx0KRGyU1Y?t=198

 

Direct Headline: DC mayor takes heat for sharing 'preventing auto thefts' video amid silence on Mohammad Anwar's death

"Blame the victim huh?" wrote one Twitter user

By Evie Fordham 3/28/21

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dc-mayor-bowser-auto-theft-mohammad-anwar

 

*****

Here's a video you can become familiar with and do so intimately.

Shapiro brings up some good points about why some types of stories gets push forward and some pushed back. This includes this car theft/car jacking issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...