What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

17 regular season games mean 6.25% more fun (1 Viewer)

I’m not thrilled about it, but hey - 15 games to make the playoffs instead of 14. Could increase competitiveness. 

Or it could cause owners who flail early to get even less interested during the last 1/3 of the season. 

I worry about more injuries, but of course the league is all about player safety, so I’m sure they’ve done all the research to prove that adding one more game isn’t at all a concern. 
:sarcasm:

I see the NFL addition of a game as a positive preventing the likelihood that star players sit in weeks 14, 15, and 16, as long as we keep our league format the same.  To me that’s the only advantage other than getting another week of fantasy regular season.

I usually just pull for more. Whereas some people say they don't like Thursday Night NFL football I wish we had it Friday and Saturday as well.

I 100% like a longer fantasy season and whatever it takes to achieve it but in this  instance while I don't hate the 17 game/18 week season but I'd have preferred 16/18 instead.

I've been railing against this for years but in a sport were most of the revenue is based on TV money I just don't understand the need to put out usually between 50- 65% of your inventory in one 3 hour window when I only have one set of eyeballs. Just think a double bye week with slopping off some of those Sunday games, especially the noon games when sometimes you got 9 or more games going on at once would have been better.

I usually just pull for more. Whereas some people say they don't like Thursday Night NFL football I wish we had it Friday and Saturday as well.

I 100% like a longer fantasy season and whatever it takes to achieve it but in this  instance while I don't hate the 17 game/18 week season but I'd have preferred 16/18 instead.

I've been railing against this for years but in a sport were most of the revenue is based on TV money I just don't understand the need to put out usually between 50- 65% of your inventory in one 3 hour window when I only have one set of eyeballs. Just think a double bye week with slopping off some of those Sunday games, especially the noon games when sometimes you got 9 or more games going on at once would have been better.
I’m with you, the more football the better for me. 

Also, if the extra game is tacked on to the front of the schedule in place of a pre-season game I think it is better once fans come back. Which I think a lot will this coming season. Potentially full capacity by then? An extra good weather game would be appreciated by cold weather stadiums. 

I’m not thrilled about it, but hey - 15 games to make the playoffs instead of 14. Could increase competitiveness. 

Or it could cause owners who flail early to get even less interested during the last 1/3 of the season. 

I worry about more injuries, but of course the league is all about player safety, so I’m sure they’ve done all the research to prove that adding one more game isn’t at all a concern. 
:sarcasm:
I think the short term ir is going to stay. If it does, that helps with minor injuries and managing the roster depth. 

Don't like. Season was long enough. The better teams were rising to the top as is.This only adds to the chances key players are hurt in the playoffs or suffer a serious injury. It also will skew all the markers and history. 1000 yard season isn't quite the same as it was, we will get new records, etc. 

Makes those in 17 game leagues a little happier. Now they get to enjoy that last week off before the playoffs just like their 16 week brothers have up to now.

Makes those in 17 game leagues a little happier. Now they get to enjoy that last week off before the playoffs just like their 16 week brothers have up to now.
i’m wondering if for fantasy football it might not be better to just stick to a 16 game season with weeks 15 and 16 for the playoffs.

because in a real football, if a team has their division locked up, it might be scrubb time in week 16 instead of 17.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a little confused by that calculus. I would think that adding one more NFL game would increase the number of injuries. 🤔 
It is. But it seemed teams used the short term IR a lot to get an extra roster spot to promote a guy as a fill in rather than having guy on side lines but they didn’t want put on long term IR. Helped with the injuries that are only couple few weeks to recover. 

i’m wondering if for fantasy football it might not be better to just stick to a 16 game season with weeks 15 and 16 for the playoffs.

because in a real football, if a team has their division locked up, it might be scrubb time in week 16 instead of 17.
This was my first thought. We've seen the whole scrub thing creep into Week 16 as it is. The longer season might just mean more of that as things tend to get wrapped up sooner in the season rather than later.

This was my first thought. We've seen the whole scrub thing creep into Week 16 as it is. The longer season might just mean more of that as things tend to get wrapped up sooner in the season rather than later.
Why would things get wrapped up earlier? An extra game gives the teams behind one more game to catch up.

Why would things get wrapped up earlier? An extra game gives the teams behind one more game to catch up.
I'm not saying they will I'm saying they could. 

And the answer is because some divisions have "haves & have nots". In divisions where there's 1 dominant team & 3 scrubs (see NEP for the last decade before 2019-ish) and there could be nothing to play for if things wrap up early. . 

It happens in a 16 game season, so for sure it'll happen in a 17 game season. And as such, it's also possible that teams have 2 weeks of meaningless games instead of 1. division locked up in week 16 with no chance at a higher seed? That'd do it. 

Just looking at the "might happens" and that's 2 weeks of ugly for competitive FF leagues. 

How does it even work? Which teams get more home games than away games? Do they all just play one neutral site game each year and then play an even number of home/away?

I think it was an opportunity lost. Schedule 18 games. Players can only play in 16 games and make it player based bye weeks instead of team based by weeks. Other sports do it all the time. The best goalie in the NHL doesn't start every game. The ace pitcher doesn't in football. That would be better for the health of the players(16 games played in 18 weeks instead of 17 weeks), and the pockets of both the players and the owners, and would have made the networks happier. For that matter I liked the expanded playoffs last season. It really felt like finishing the best team in the conference meant something. The last playoff spot will always be exciting but making that #1 finish mean something adds something in my book.

If the Superbowl was played at the end of February would anyone really "revolt" at the idea? Cut down the fake NFL in July/August and give us more February football between good teams please.

I'm not saying they will I'm saying they could. 

And the answer is because some divisions have "haves & have nots". In divisions where there's 1 dominant team & 3 scrubs (see NEP for the last decade before 2019-ish)  there could nothing to play for. 

It happens in a 16 game season, so for sure it'll happen in a 17 game season. And as such, it's also possible that teams have 2 weeks of meaningless games instead of 1. division locked up in week 16 with no chance at a higher seed? That'd do it. 

Just looking at the "might happens" and that's 2 weeks of ugly for competitive FF leagues. 
Still not seeing this, the extra game comes at the end, not the beginning. For FF purposes anyway.

And how is that different than now?
Because in the proposed format for the NFL, week 16 could be like what teams currently do in week 17. So instead of 1 week of scrub ball after the current FF season, you might be in the LCG without a top player because the team has 2 meaningless games instead of 1. 

Because in the proposed format for the NFL, week 16 could be like what teams currently do in week 17. So instead of 1 week of scrub ball after the current FF season, you might be in the LCG without a top player because the team has 2 meaningless games instead of 1. 
I thinks you got your math backwards.

These guys are getting paid so much money. Some a million per game. Others even 200 thousand a game to #### on the field. 

they can play one more game. 

If fantasy leagues still go till week 16, then there will be LESS chance of scrubs playing week 16
Right. That’s why I suggested I might keep my league to 14+2

The implied alternative is to expand FF Leagues to 15-2. 

Now I see where the confusion was in all this. 

Right. That’s why I suggested I might keep my league to 14+2

The implied alternative is to expand FF Leagues to 15-2. 

Now I see where the confusion was in all this. 
Or do our 14+2 leagues (4 playoff teams) change to 14+3 leagues instead (6 playoff teams). Wondering if this might be the way my old school, 25+ year work league goes. 

This has been a really weird diversion. I'm thinking of bye weeks and that fantasy would have to extend to Week 17 to make it all fair, actually. I'm not sure how HSG is approaching it. If it's still a 16 week fantasy season, you'll have less chance of there being clinches and scrubs, as ghostguy123 asserts.

I think, anyway. 

This has been a really weird diversion. I'm thinking of bye weeks and that fantasy would have to extend to Week 17 to make it all fair, actually. I'm not sure how HSG is approaching it. If it's still a 16 week fantasy season, you'll have less chance of there being clinches and scrubs, as ghostguy123 asserts.

I think, anyway. 
You ask for others to think for you? 

I think, anyway. 
Right - I’m considering approaching it as a 16 week season. 

so for my league literally nothing would change. Week 16 LCG. 1 week of playoffs. 

I imagine many will expand their schedules or playoffs by 1 game, which I think would be terrible. 

I played in that format in the early days of FF. Just say no to 1/2 the league making the playoffs. Normalize competition. 
I’m in a mix of leagues that are 4 or 6 team playoffs and I don’t care either way. I guess I’ve finished in 5th place enough in my long time 4 team playoff league that I wouldn’t mind seeing it move to 6 teams. But I guess that’s more of a  :ptts:

I'm not sure why most assume the extra week means there will be an extra week of sitting out players. This is rarely the case even if a team goes 13-0 and clinches their division by week 14. And there's only one bye now for the top seed, so that lessens the chance teams sit players, even if only a little bit. Most have something to play for prior to the final week.

In the new setup, week 18 now is like week 17 was, and week 17 is like week 16 was. So why wouldn't you extend the season and playoffs one week? The difference is minuscule. Teams don't rest players multiple weeks at the end no matter how early they clinch. You're likely just missing out on a week of meaningful football for a misconception.

Well if anything with a 14 week regular season and 3 week playoff, in 12 team leagues with three divisions, you would play everyone in your division twice and the other eight teams each once as opposed to only playing seven of the eight other teams.

Users who are viewing this thread