What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ra-'pee-noh (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
EQUAL PAY: Megan Rapinoe this week: "I'm still paid less than men who do the same job that I do."

Discuss. Forbes tweeted this out. This is so rich.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kind of hoping that her 15 minutes were up, and I too was disappointed last week to see that they aren't apparently. 

Is it possible for Megan Rapinoe to just join a men's league?  That's not a rhetorical question -- I honestly don't know how this works in soccer.  I know that in many sports, there's no technically no "men's" league.  What we call the "men's division" is really an open division and it's occupied entirely by men because there are no women on the planet who could hope for relevance in that league.  But since Rapinoe is just as good as the men, it would be cool to see her show that on the pitch.  I'm sure she'd be highly successful against players who are bigger, faster, and stronger but lacking in social justice awareness.

I was kind of hoping that her 15 minutes were up, and I too was disappointed last week to see that they aren't apparently. 
Oh man, you didn't think the purple haired advocate was going away now that Joe and Kamala are in town, did ya? We're going to see every two-bit, penny-ante, left-wing, out-of-the-spotlight left wing hero parading their wrongheaded pet causes that got thankfully relegated to the back burner for the next four years. I knew it would happen when I supported Biden -- it made me clench my teeth just thinking about it -- and now it's here.

Equal Pay!

Will leave this here, maybe this data is totally corrupt, I don't know

The controlled gender pay gap, which controls for job title, years of experience, education, industry, location and other compensable factors, measures equal pay for equal work. The controlled pay gap has also decreased since 2015, but only by $0.01. Women in the controlled group make $0.98 for every $1.00 a man makes, meaning that women are still making less than men even when doing the exact same job.
LINK

Will leave this here, maybe this data is totally corrupt, I don't know

LINK
No, I don't think so. The pay gap, when controlling for exiting/entering the labor force, family/labor division, and careers chosen, is very small. It's a basically a rounding error, if I'm not mistaken.

But - but - glass ceilings!

No, I don't think so. The pay gap, when controlling for exiting/entering the labor force, family/labor division, and careers chosen, is very small. It's a basically a rounding error, if I'm not mistaken.

But - but - glass ceilings!
At what point would it make sense to celebrate this monumental achievement and the incredible progress we've made.  How much better as a nation would we be if we rallied around this and continued to support our society to completely eliminate this small difference?  Nah...lets keep on hating each other.

"98 cents for every dollar" doesn't sound quite as dramatic, does it?
It's the non-controlled number that is more dramatic.  So that's what people use.  Rinse and repeat for every political hot button right now.  Race wage gap, race and policing, etc, etc.

EQUAL PAY: Megan Rapinoe this week: "I'm still paid less than men who do the same job that I do."

I dont understand why they would parade her out there. It is like the one profession that is so obviously not the same job and everybody knows this.

This thread is a twofer for you - you not only get to bash a high profile woman but also a member of the LGBT+ community (not to mention how she pronounces her name)
What does this have to do with anything being discussed?  Typical lefty nonsense because you can't discuss the issue

Oh man, you didn't think the purple haired advocate was going away now that Joe and Kamala are in town, did ya? We're going to see every two-bit, penny-ante, left-wing, out-of-the-spotlight left wing hero parading their wrongheaded pet causes that got thankfully relegated to the back burner for the next four years. I knew it would happen when I supported Biden -- it made me clench my teeth just thinking about it -- and now it's here.

Equal Pay!
I am all for equal opportunity, as any right thinking person should be, but equal opportunity does not always result in equal outcome.  I think that is the mistake many make, sometimes unintentionally, sometimes intentionally for the sake of trying to score political points by driving home a false narrative. 

If thats the case, then they should.  
They get more guaranteed money, as jon_mx points out, which is the trade-off for money for wins. That means it's not performance-based, per their CBA. The thrust of the article was that nobody really knows because the CBA isn't public. One can only assume things. And that's assuming wins, which they bargain for collectively.

Generally agree.  My guess is that the last part of the article is a big part of the driver of the discrepancy, which is that the men earn much more in professional leagues and the compensation has to be higher to motivate their participation.  The men have more bargaining power and the women less.  Generally I'd say let the market decide (and if the women are driving that much revenue they should be able to bargain for a greater share), but given the backdrop I just mentioned I can see how that weakens their cause.

The soccer overlords should figure out how to make this fairer, which I'd guess means the men will have to take less than they were able to bargain for...not a fan of that either but a lose-lose situation and based on the earnings in the professional leagues I think the men will survive.

If she really wants to capitalize on her name, it will have to be in a foreign womens league, assuming they have them.  

The women were given the exact same deal as the men and they said NO. They wanted a slew of benefits and guaranteed wages whether they won or lost or did not even play.  So the women put in some phoney worst case scenario which is not an accurate representation to show inequity.  The men don't win so they are not making that much, so it is complete BS.  If you compare the opposite way and they play zero games, men get $0 and the women get $100k.  And that is what they negotiated. That is why the judge ruled against their bs argument. 

The women were given the exact same deal as the men and they said NO. They wanted a slew of benefits and guaranteed wages whether they won or lost or did not even play.  So the women put in some phoney worst case scenario which is not an accurate representation to show inequity.  The men don't win so they are not making that much, so it is complete BS.  If you compare the opposite way and they play zero games, men get $0 and the women get $100k.  And that is what they negotiated. That is why the judge ruled against their bs argument. 
Yep. CBAs are very flexible, as are negotiations. It's really a cynical thing they're doing, IMHO and to the best of my understanding. Which is limited. The soccer guys could probably tell you more than I could.

I’ve never understood this - other than the obvious why does someone not ask her how her job is the same as one of the men’s players.  I’m all for equal pay for the same job - but it’s not the same job.  She wouldn’t be “hired” to be on the men’s national team.

I’m ignoring the discussion about how much the women’s team makes - because if it’s more then I’d say she’s selling herself short and should get MORE than the men (in theory).

Watching sportscenter tonight. They of course give the womens ncaa tourney some good coverage.

Which is fine, but these are very different sports. Maryland was a 2 seed. Their starting point guard has almost zero athleticism and looks like a bowling ball.

Watching sportscenter tonight. They of course give the womens ncaa tourney some good coverage.

Which is fine, but these are very different sports. Maryland was a 2 seed. Their starting point guard has almost zero athleticism and looks like a bowling ball.
They only give it that much coverage because they are showing it.  

At what point would it make sense to celebrate this monumental achievement and the incredible progress we've made.  How much better as a nation would we be if we rallied around this and continued to support our society to completely eliminate this small difference?  Nah...lets keep on hating each other.....

VIDEO: Soccer Feminists Oppress Themselves... How To Fix It | Andrew Schulz •May 9, 2020

This week U.S. Women’ Soccer sued on the basis of gender discrimination for a contract THEY asked for. The judge threw the case out. The lawsuit is stupid, BUT these chicks should get paid more than the men... and I know how to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2nBJaxjBI

VIDEO: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS Megan Rapinoe and the gender pay gap •Mar 26, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RDZw_xSvDg

Ben Shapiro makes a good point, if Rapinoe wants to get paid like a man in the men's league, she should try out for one of those teams.

Both Shapiro and Schultz repeat jon mx's point that US Women's Soccer wanted the contract they signed then wanted to renege on the deal without penalty.

Cognitive dissonance at work.

For the 2018 men's World Cup, the prize money was $400 million, compared to $30 million for the Women's World Cup in 2019. Given the vast difference in total funds available to allocate, it's essentially guaranteed that the women would end up with far less prize money than the men could have — even though the women won the championship.

And this particular disparity is destined to continue.

"FIFA announced the prize money would be $440 million in 2020 in Qatar, and $60 million for the 2023 Women's World Cup," said Cheryl Cooky,
Worth pointing out here that the Women won the World Cup and the US Men missed the World Cup for the first time since 1986 during the period in the pay calculation.  It was not a normal cycle.

The women have some legit grievances (which have been settled IIRC), but 2016-2018 is a pretty unique period to measure.

This information seems pretty relevant.  Is there any reason Rapinoe doesn't mention it, is it untruthful or in any way not a valid driver?

This information seems pretty relevant.  Is there any reason Rapinoe doesn't mention it, is it untruthful or in any way not a valid driver?
"We are being held to the contract we collectively bargained for after rejecting a similar offer that the men got" doesnt have the same ring to it on twitter.

She's looking to capitalize on having all the right check marks and the right administration in office. She'll be the official security of equal sports pay making six figures by the end of the month. 

LINK

Biden thinks women athletes should be paid on par with male athletes.  How can any rational person, let alone the POTUS say something like this?  I'd be pleasantly surprised to see a vocal progressive leader in sports, maybe like LeBron, come out to support sharing their incomes with the women.  Will hang up and wait.   

In the @espn interview,Biden also says it’s time for women athletes to be paid on or with male athletes: “I don’t think it’s right, I don’t think it’s fair.”

This probably belongs in cancel culture as Biden is looking to cancel Georgia, but was from the same interview so will leave it here.  Jim Crow???  Jim Crow on steroids???  Where is the President we were promised, less division and hyperbole.  Trumps diarrhea of the mouth and tweet was endless, but in terms of #### per word spoken I'm not sure Biden is much behind given he's kept on such a tight communication leash.

In interview with

@sagesteele

Biden asked about possibly moving All-Star Game out of Atlanta because of the state’s new election law. “I would strongly support them doing that,” president says, once again calling the law “Jim Crow on steroids.”

LINK

Biden thinks women athletes should be paid on par with male athletes.  How can any rational person, let alone the POTUS say something like this?  I'd be pleasantly surprised to see a vocal progressive leader in sports, maybe like LeBron, come out to support sharing their incomes with the women.  Will hang up and wait.   

This probably belongs in cancel culture as Biden is looking to cancel Georgia, but was from the same interview so will leave it here.  Jim Crow???  Jim Crow on steroids???  Where is the President we were promised, less division and hyperbole.  Trumps diarrhea of the mouth and tweet was endless, but in terms of #### per word spoken I'm not sure Biden is much behind given he's kept on such a tight communication leash.
The crying about the georgia law is all so phony. They know that pretty much nobody will actually look up what is in the law so they can just spew garbage and it will work. Thats why Biden is out there flat out lying about it. They know darn well they are lying, but dont care at all. 

LINK

I’ll reiterate my point from earlier in the thread - I think it’s misguided to claim these female athletes are not getting equal pay for the same job.  They aren’t doing the same job - just because they both play soccer, basketball, whatever doesn’t mean it’s the same.  

I’ll reiterate my point from earlier in the thread - I think it’s misguided to claim these female athletes are not getting equal pay for the same job.  They aren’t doing the same job - just because they both play soccer, basketball, whatever doesn’t mean it’s the same.  
Sure, but misguided?  It’s rubbish. 

Where do they expect the money to come from to pay women in sports that much money? As much as I would love for the pay gap in sports to be more equal, women sports aren’t driving anywhere near as much revenue as men sports so I don’t see what can be done.

I’m definitely not a fan of what the Republicans are doing in my state when it comes to the voting laws, but I also hate how Biden and the left are trying to compare it to the Jim Crow laws. This just discredits how awful conditions were for black people under Jim Crow. 

Where do they expect the money to come from to pay women in sports that much money? As much as I would love for the pay gap in sports to be more equal, women sports aren’t driving anywhere near as much revenue as men sports so I don’t see what can be done.

People making more than $400k?  A tax on consumers...male sports spectators?  Male athletes?

This is easy to think about how silly it is with such a glaring example.  What is much harder for people to comprehend is that similar bad unintended or intended consequences apply when trying to make sure that a female surgeon with 14yrs experience earns the same as a male with 13yrs  experience.  God forbid something as subjective as actual job performance be a factor.  

I’m definitely not a fan of what the Republicans are doing in my state when it comes to the voting laws, but I also hate how Biden and the left are trying to compare it to the Jim Crow laws. This just discredits how awful conditions were for black people under Jim Crow

I can't say I'm a fan either, I kinda don't like being a fan of any of this #### as its not a game and I don't want a home team.  There are some elements I like, some I don't and some I think that are way overblown.  I was really happy that when the law was signed that we didn't observe a tear in the space time continuum as that was my impression of the magnitude of the changes. 
Comments above.

The women soccer team gets paid more per game than the men do. So if they want equal pay to occur, they need to give some of their money to the men to make up the gap. 

If the WNBA were to pay the same salaries as the NBA, that would really kick the trans women in sports arguments up a notch

Maybe it's posted in here, but I had to laugh and thought of this thread - old Bill Burr bit about why men make more.  

Link

NFSW, obviously.   Related bit starts about 2:15.  

Users who are viewing this thread