Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Brood X: Billions of cicadas, coming soon!

9 minutes ago, GregR said:

2004 was bonkersville here.  I remember looking out my apartment window at the ground underneath a lamp post in the courtyard at night and it was seething with cicadas crawling up out of the earth.  Looked like something from a horror movie.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Kal El said:

That’s how we know the rainy season is about to start in Florida, they start firing up.

Are you referring to Love Bugs?

3 hours ago, flranger said:

Are you referring to Love Bugs?

Weirdly enough, no. They have a few mating seasons, but they aren’t the noisemakers that cicadas are.

Charleston Cheese Grits and Blackened Cicadas with Grilled Onions and Peppers

4-6 servings

INGREDIENTS
30-40 cicadas (gathered as they emerge from the ground, remove heads, legs and wings)
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. Blackened Seasoning (recipe follows)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. butter
Charleston Cheese Grits (recipe follows)

PREPARATION
In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil. Add cicadas and boil 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside. Grill peppers and onions until al dente, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat saute pan until hot. Add olive oil, then cicadas. Saute 1-2 minutes. Add Blackened Seasoning, onions and peppers. Saute 1-2 minutes more. Finish with butter.

Serve over Charleston Cheese Grits.

Charleston Cheese Grits

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned grits
1 tsp. salt plus more to taste
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
6 Tbsp. butter
Fresh ground black pepper

PREPARATION
In large, heavy saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add grits and 1 tsp. salt, stir to combine. When grits thicken, add milk, cream and butter then return to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until grits are tender, smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Blackened Seasoning

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. thyme
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

PREPARATION
Mix ingredients thoroughly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 10:02 PM, The Z Machine said:

When is this supposed to start? I'm thinking about fleeing the mid Atlantic area.

Of all the reasons to flee the mid-Atlantic area, this is down the list.

I personally have fond memories of their last appearance. My middle son was 4 and he and his friends were pretty fearless about handling live ones, even daring each other to eat them when they caught them. I remember thinking about how he'd be 21 by the time they returned and wondering about the intervening years.  This time around, I plan on sitting in my back yard one night, finishing the last of my Lagavulin and wondering which will happen first, they return or I afford another bottle of Lagavulin.

• 1 month later...

I think we can take them this time.  Millions of kids have been practicing catching these things in Animal Crossing.  I've probably caught a few hundred for my kid.  All we need to do is get some failed company like Kodak, pay them billions to manufacture nets (not the wooden ones they break), then pass them out to kids this summer.

Hate these things. I’ve had to take my dog out only on a leash in the backyard to stop her from eating them, after waking up to some diarrhea to clean up a couple of times after she probably ate some.

Edited by Don Quixote

My dog has decided that they are his favorite snack.  The issue is that he's been puking up a bunch of legs/wings/carcasses in the mornings.  Black mess that stinks.  I'll be glad when these little b@*$#!& are gone.

• Thanks 1

Family friend had a boxer dog that died from eating them.  My current dog is just enough of a knucklehead to do the same thing if he we had them (we don't but have in past) and wasn't terrified of them.  Watch your pets.

1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

Family friend had a boxer dog that died from eating them.  My current dog is just enough of a knucklehead to do the same thing if he we had them (we don't but have in past) and wasn't terrified of them.  Watch your pets.

Yeah, we don't get this brood, but two of my pooches have managed to get copperhead bites this year.  They'd be dumb enough to do this.

37 minutes ago, Sand said:

Yeah, we don't get this brood, but two of my pooches have managed to get copperhead bites this year.  They'd be dumb enough to do this.

Same friend lost a different boxer dog to some kind of poisonous snake (was visiting daughter in Texas, unknown what kind) so I revoked her boxer license!