What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anti-Vaxxers? How do you handle? (1 Viewer)

We haven't required vaccinations here in my government office, but 7/9 of us have been vaccinated.  Two holdouts are (1) woman who was too lazy to make appointment (she's scheduled for shot 1 Thursday); and (2) "I'm not taking anything that's not found naturally" woman who got COVID in January on trip to Mexico and has son who got COVID on another out of town trip over Spring Break. 

She was really angry when we told her she had to get a negative test before coming back to the office.  I can see how requiring the negative test opens management up to criticism when most in the office have been vaccinated and she likely still has antibodies, but there's no definitive proof on the limits of antibody protection (my antibodies were gone after 9 months) and she also works with outsiders who have not been vaccinated.  Until we know more, we have to play it safe, or she can get vaccinated - it's her call.  

The pro-vaxxers are definitely getting riled up over the anti-vaxxer's "irresponsible behavior" outside from work, and I expect the issue to blow up soon.  I hate office drama.    
I'm pretty sympathetic toward people who get covid.  It's an airborne communicable disease, and lots of people were/are going to become infected through absolutely no fault of their own.  IMO, we've made a category error by moralizing this disease and talking about it as if infection is an ethical failure or something.

Then I encounter anecdotes like this and get reminded that some people really are profoundly stupid.  In January, widespread vaccination was right around the corner.  You couldn't wait a few months to go cougaring in Cancun? 

I can definitely understand how 1 guy having a rash is a worse outcome than the 500k deaths. 
I find it kind of ironic that the same people I know that were telling me "MEH! COVID ONLY KILLS LIKE .0001% OF PEOPLE. WHY ARE YOU SCARED??" are now all beating the drum of "THE VACCINES CAUSE SIDE EFFECS! SCREW THAT I'M NOT DOING THAT".  I like to tell them "If you are scared of the vaccine, just stay home." Pretty similar to the catch phrase all of them threw at me in the beginning of COVID when they said "If you are scared, just stay home."

More than 100,000,000 vaccines have been given in the US alone.  If there were serious issues we'd know about them. 

Meanwhile one out of every 650 people in the country has died of COVID.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than 100,000,000 vaccines have been given in the US alone.  If there were serious issues we'd know about them. 

Only caveat for me is that I have not been following the J&J and AstraZ vaccines much.  Seems like there are some potential issues or more hesitancy with these internationally for some reason?  The data suggests that they are all safe and super effective though from what I have read.

The mRNA vaccines are the future.  I got Moderna already.

Did they have hundreds of millions doses sitting somewhere, or did they manufacture these all in the past few months?

I find it kind of ironic that the same people I know that were telling me "MEH! COVID ONLY KILLS LIKE .0001% OF PEOPLE. WHY ARE YOU SCARED??" are now all beating the drum of "THE VACCINES CAUSE SIDE EFFECS! SCREW THAT I'M NOT DOING THAT".  I like to tell them "If you are scared of the vaccine, just stay home." Pretty similar to the catch phrase all of them threw at me in the beginning of COVID when they said "If you are scared, just stay home."
I have two old friends from back home who are military veterans, one of whom has a chest full of medals from his time in Iraq.  Both are gung-ho types and are truly brave and dedicated to their country and were obviously willing to risk their own lives and their bodies for the common good in war. They are the two most anti vaccine people on my facebook feed, repeating every inane and disproven anti vaccine bit of misinformation.  If their commander in the military had asked either of them to take on the riskiest task in war, I have no doubt they would have done so; they would have been the first to volunteer.  But to take a shot to end the worst pandemic in a hundred years?  They act like the biggest scaredy cats on earth. Complete $%##@$ies.  

I'm pretty sympathetic toward people who get covid.  It's an airborne communicable disease, and lots of people were/are going to become infected through absolutely no fault of their own.  IMO, we've made a category error by moralizing this disease and talking about it as if infection is an ethical failure or something.

Then I encounter anecdotes like this and get reminded that some people really are profoundly stupid.  In January, widespread vaccination was right around the corner.  You couldn't wait a few months to go cougaring in Cancun? 
I blame social media for a lot of the compounded stupidity we see now. There have always been stupid people, but now they have outlets that let them find other people with similar lines of “reason” and it festers and grows. Like what would Jonestown look like if they had Twitter and Facebook for outreach?  I think that’s what we’re basically seeing now where no amount of proof and logic will stop the momentum until the kool-ade is all gone. 

I have two old friends from back home who are military veterans, one of whom has a chest full of medals from his time in Iraq.  Both are gung-ho types and are truly brave and dedicated to their country and were obviously willing to risk their own lives and their bodies for the common good in war. They are the two most anti vaccine people on my facebook feed, repeating every inane and disproven anti vaccine bit of misinformation.  If their commander in the military had asked either of them to take on the riskiest task in war, I have no doubt they would have done so; they would have been the first to volunteer.  But to take a shot to end the worst pandemic in a hundred years?  They act like the biggest scaredy cats on earth. Complete $%##@$ies.  
And i guarantee they were vaccinated in the military lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see the irony here at all.  Just a flu bros who throw that .0001% don't want a vaccine against something that isn't going to impact them, (in their opinion).  This isn't my stance as I'm scheduled for my first shot on Friday but I have some people like this in my family so I know where they are coming from. 

These same idiots, on my wife's side, are getting together at my mother in laws for Easter since her and her husband, in their 80's have been vaccinated.  Last we heard 45 people will be in attendance.  Easter is a big deal for her family and until last year they've always had large Easter gatherings.  My wife and a couple of her siblings are livid while the rest have either had the virus, don't think it's that bad, or just don't give a damn.  Good reason not to see a majority of my inlaws for the foreseeable future i guess.

Daughter works at a retirement home. Workers that are vaccinated now get a special sticker on their badge and can wear a regular mask. Those that arent vaccinated have to continue wearing N95 mask + face shield.

Users who are viewing this thread