What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hate Crimes Against Asians Rising -- Debates Within About Reportage And Race Of Perpetrators (2 Viewers)

What’s up with the angry white guy reference?
It's what Twitter trended when the Syrian-born man shot up the grocery store in Boulder. Twitter was lit with people, including Kamala Harris's relatives, quipping they were tired of "angry white men" shooting up things because they were sure the perpetrator was white.

Because one thing that is sort of under the surface is that the hate crimes happening to Asian-Americans, from the best I can suss out the stories, are being done by blacks. There's a total omission in the papers about the race of the perpetrator, which leads me to believe they can only be one race: black.

Because blacks aren't racist if you kowtow to the media's general shibboleth.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's what Twitter trended when the Syrian national shot up the grocery store in Boulder. Twitter was lit with people, including Kamala Harris's relatives, quipping they were tired of "angry white men" shooting up things because they were sure the perpetrator was white.

Because one thing that is sort of under the surface is that the hate crimes happening to Asian-Americans, from the best I can suss out the stories, are being done by blacks. There's a total omission in the papers about the race of the perpetrator, which leads me to believe they can only be one race: black.

Gotcha. The story is calling this a hate crime and there are pictures of the guy and he’s clearly black.

Odd thing to focus on when some lady just got their head kicked in by some giant ####### but noted. 

Gotcha. The story is calling this a hate crime and there are pictures of the guy and he’s clearly black.

Odd thing to focus on when some lady just got their head kicked in by some giant ####### but noted. 
Oh, I'm focused on more than that. It just seemed this angle was relevant to the PSF given the things we discuss and the identity politics that go along with the mainstream media.

No, this guy was a giant jackass and deserves what he gets in a court of law. The security guards are disgusting in their inaction, especially at the end where they shut the door to make sure she can't get into the building, which is why I put the Kitty Genovese reference in there. I get why they wouldn't help while the guy was around, but to not administer aid is befouled.

Oh, I'm focused on more than that. It just seemed this angle was relevant to the PSF given the things we discuss and the identity politics that go along with the mainstream media.

No, this guy was a giant jackass and deserves what he gets in a court of law. The security guards are disgusting in their inaction, especially at the end where they shut the door to make sure she can't get into the building, which is why I put the Kitty Genovese reference in there. I get why they wouldn't help while the guy was around, but to not administer aid is befouled.
Some of the Twitter reactions to this stuff I can imagine are no bueno.

I had to Google the Kitty Genovese reference. I had somehow never heard this or it had never registered. 

The dude just watching is sad. The security guard looked like he just shut the door at the end when a woman is laying in the street. Whole thing is just gross.

It's what Twitter trended when the Syrian-born man shot up the grocery store in Boulder. Twitter was lit with people, including Kamala Harris's relatives, quipping they were tired of "angry white men" shooting up things because they were sure the perpetrator was white.

Just curious where you are getting that.  

In all seriousness, I've already found a U.S. Census Bureau study reporting that hate crimes against Asian-Americans are perpetrated more by "non-white" offenders compared to other hate crimes, but I'm sick of looking everything and passing everything along at request because of the bad faith lefties on this board, so I implore those interested to simply Google some fairly obvious search terms.

Or just pay attention.

In all seriousness, I've already found a U.S. Census Bureau study reporting that hate crimes against Asian-Americans are primarily by "non-white" offenders, but I'm sick of looking everything and passing everything along at request because of the bad faith lefties on this board, so I implore those interested to simply Google some fairly obvious search terms.

Or just pay attention.
why is so hard to link things?  I was looking around this week after Atlanta, and mostly what I found was general hate crime stats that I talked about with another poster, which was a mix.   I saw another random study from England that skewed heavy white when the crime was based on race, but didn't find much from US that extrapolate stats when race was the motivation for the hate crimes.  

why is so hard to link things?  I was looking around this week after Atlanta, and mostly what I found was general hate crime stats that I talked about with another poster, which was a mix.   I saw another random study from England that skewed heavy white when the crime was based on race, but didn't find much from US that extrapolate stats when race was the motivation for the hate crimes.  
I don't link things anymore in the PSF. It's up to the user to find it now. Because there are so many bad faith requests for links that chase people down rabbit holes only to have to argue minutiae about the point that it's not worth it. It's caveat emptor in my political subforum world, GB. People are more than able to discount what I say if that's the case, but I'm not hunting down links for the likes of certain people who will remain nameless because of their insistence on moving goalposts and digging in like terriers when a link is provided.

I don't link things anymore in the PSF. It's up to the user to find it now. Because there are so many bad faith requests for links that chase people down rabbit holes only to have to argue minutiae about the point that it's not worth it. It's caveat emptor in my political subforum world, GB. People are more than able to discount what I say if that's the case, but I'm not hunting down links for the likes of certain people who will remain nameless because of their insistence on moving goalposts and digging in like terriers when a link is provided.
Good talk then.  Glad to know I am grouped in with the bad faith lefties too.  

:shrug:

main thing that comes up when I search is the fbi page on hate crimes that has general stats, but again didn't see a breakdown like I wanted.   oh well. 

"In New York City, where anti-Asian hate crime soared nearly nine-fold in 2020 over the year before, only two of the 20 people arrested last year in connection with these attacks were white, according to New York Police Department data analyzed by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism. Eleven were African Americans, six were white Hispanics and one was a Black Hispanic.  

"I thought it was jarring," said Brian Levin, executive director of the center, noting that the finding runs counter to assumptions made by many that perpetrators of anti-Asian hate are mostly angry white men who blame China for the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://www.voanews.com/usa/anti-asian-hate-crime-crosses-racial-and-ethnic-lines

Center for Study of Hate and Extremism in New York City

https://www.csusb.edu/hate-and-extremism-center

These stories are really disheartening and sad.   What is wrong with people. 
Lots of people doing awful things in the face of stressors. One does wonder what is wrong with people. I always prefer to look at the sunnier side of things, but the past year (perhaps stressors of my own) have made me a real pessimist about how people act. It's really disheartening, as you said.

"In New York City, where anti-Asian hate crime soared nearly nine-fold in 2020 over the year before, only two of the 20 people arrested last year in connection with these attacks were white, according to New York Police Department data analyzed by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism. Eleven were African Americans, six were white Hispanics and one was a Black Hispanic.  

"I thought it was jarring," said Brian Levin, executive director of the center, noting that the finding runs counter to assumptions made by many that perpetrators of anti-Asian hate are mostly angry white men who blame China for the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://www.voanews.com/usa/anti-asian-hate-crime-crosses-racial-and-ethnic-lines

There have been a number of high profile videos showing African-American attackers, so I don’t really understand the assumption that the attackers are all white. Is that truly a widely held assumption, or are people just assuming that it’s a widely held assumption when in fact it may be more of a vocal minority who aren’t familiar with the details? I don’t know.  But I can tell you that the people I know in the Asian community are aware that the hate is coming from a diverse group.

Also, perhaps a technical point, but of the 20 arrested in the excerpt above, eight were white. But of those eight, two were non-Hispanic white.

There have been a number of high profile videos showing African-American attackers, so I don’t really understand the assumption that the attackers are all white. Is that truly a widely held assumption, or are people just assuming that it’s a widely held assumption when in fact it may be more of a vocal minority who aren’t familiar with the details? I don’t know.  But I can tell you that the people I know in the Asian community are aware that the hate is coming from a diverse group.

Also, perhaps a technical point, but of the 20 arrested in the excerpt above, eight were white. But of those eight, two were non-Hispanic white.
Because in all the articles you read, one rarely sees the race mentioned. If it was a white attacker, one knows it would be. It's a media criticism. Some people, like KP, are even unaware though they've been paying attention to the attacks and actively looking.

What does that tell you, BB? It tells me that print media has not published the race of the offender, simply intoning that hate crimes are happening. Instead of simply saying, "hate crimes toward Asians are reasonably on the rise" and are the result of increased "black and Hispanic involvement in these crimes," we get histrionics about a deeply disturbed white shooter as indicative of a sweeping racial generalization, marches against racism by the usual race-baiting white-haters, and the typical two-step we do when it comes to potentially undesirable attributes of the black or Hispanic community writ large.  

The better question might be, "Why does it matter who did it? It's a hate crime. That's enough for me." But I would answer that question by saying it's a story because the omissions and the not subject for inclusion "non-story" of blacks and Hispanics being the perpetrators of these acts are disingenuous and just another way within the liberal media sphere to be hyper-sensitive to blacks, Hispanics, and the racial tensions with other groups that lie therein.

What’s up with the angry white guy reference?
Seems unwarranted, unless there’s a lot more to this story. Asian hate crimes are still perpetrated by whites predominantly - unsurprising since they make up the majority of the population. While African Americans may be over represented in this sub segment, it’s not like other hate crimes are perfectly distributed according to race of perpetrator. The guy in the video sure looks black, and I haven’t seen anything suggesting otherwise, so the implication that whites are being unfairly singled out (and AA given a pass) doesn’t make a whole lotta sense.

But I agree with RA that the race of the assailant shouldn’t be important regardless. If that is one’s stance, not sure why omitting the race of the guy in the video causes people to get pissy.

These stories are really disheartening and sad.   What is wrong with people. 
The whole thing is disgusting for sure.  It’s a hard video to watch honestly, made my heart hurt.  

But I believe this is another bad side effect of the Information Age in which we live.  Things like these aren’t new, cruelty toward one another has been going on since the dawn of man.  We just hear more about it now.  In the 60’s or 70’s it would have only been a local story, now it’s a global one.  That makes is seem and feel like times are more violent then before. Thankfully they aren’t but unfortunately many people don’t feel that way.*

*not saying you said or feel that way BB. Just making a broad general statement. 

It is good that anti-Asian violence is getting more attention.  The woke crowd (tweeter universe, the mainstream media, sports leagues) have framed the issue as Trump lead white supremacy and they are very vocal when the perpetrator is white.  When it becomes more apparent that these acts against Asians are in most cases hard to pin on white supremacists, it will be interesting how diligent the woke crowd remains in this.  IMHO, if the story does not support their anti-white narrative, it is a non-story to the woke universe. 

Because in all the articles you read, one rarely sees the race mentioned. If it was a white attacker, one knows it would be. It's a media criticism. Some people, like KP, are even unaware though they've been paying attention to the attacks and actively looking.

What does that tell you, BB? It tells me that print media has not published the race of the offender, simply intoning that hate crimes are happening. Instead of simply saying, "hate crimes toward Asians are reasonably on the rise" and are the result of increased "black and Hispanic involvement in these crimes," we get histrionics about a deeply disturbed white shooter as indicative of a sweeping racial generalization, marches against racism by the usual race-baiting white-haters, and the typical two-step we do when it comes to potentially undesirable attributes of the black or Hispanic community writ large.  

The better question might be, "Why does it matter who did it? It's a hate crime. That's enough for me." But I would answer that question by saying it's a story because the omissions and the not subject for inclusion "non-story" of blacks and Hispanics being the perpetrators of these acts are disingenuous and just another way within the liberal media sphere to be hyper-sensitive to blacks, Hispanics, and the racial tensions with other groups that lie therein.
When I see instagram posts from prominent asians promoting solidarity with african americans, that says that this is a white problem.  The posts aren't asking blacks to stop attacking asians, they are saying blacks and asians have to unite in their resistance to hate from whites.  

Thank you for that link.  Eye opening for sure.  Like I said, most of what I saw was general stats, or a few articles about the uptick in hate crimes vs Asian Americans.  

I think your posts on various philosophical ideas are thought provoking, even when I disagree, and I imagine your political philosophies would be as well. I hope you reconsider this rule. It helps to see the information forming opinions, regardless of poster. 
You post about all sorts of things- even fantasy football! You didn’t show up in the psf one day after spending time at the Parler of fantasy football. It’s clear you spend time reading and thinking, not hitting the laughing emoji and trolling. 

The guy is black but is this a plain hate crime or did she know the man?

So, for the past four years the left/msm has been brainwashing everyone about how Trump and generally non woke white people made US a terrible country and driving massive white extremism (sorry no links for those people living under rocks).  Is it possible that they have created hate?  When every day entire populations of people are told how repressed they are.  How much danger they are in!!!  How white people hate them.  How Asians are taking up all the seats in good schools in NYC.  How Georgia just brought Jim Crow back. On and on and on

Do we think the 18 (out of 20) people of color arrested last year in NYC for hate crimes in the article linked above were Trump supporters? 

Is it possible that when hate and singular injustices and misleading opinions are reported as news every day that they are fomenting hate and hate crimes?  Is it possible this is the strategy of the left/msm?  What would be any other possible explanation other than extreme insanity?

Why is that the left/media never brings the concept of proportionality and perspective into their reporting?  Why is it that concepts like controlling for not relevant factors are never included as perspective in their narrative?  It can't be that they are uneducated given they are generally the privileged of the privileged being minted out of our Ivy league universities. 

Police shootings.  SAME BLACK KILLING RATES AS WHITES.  Why is this not consistently reporting in every discussion about police shootings.

Hate crimes.  LINK.  Whites are 75% of the population and 52% of crime.  WHITES ARE PROPORTIONALLY LESS LIKELY TO COMMIT HATE CRIMES.  Blacks are 14% of the population and 24% of the hate crimes.  Blacks are commit hate crimes at a rate 50%+ greater than the rest of the population.  Why are we focused on the new epidemic of white hate crimes.

Gender wage gap.  Our Vice Presidents issue du jour.  You hear a ton about women only making 82 cents on the dollar.  She touts a female soccer star who apparently turned down a great deal (as part of a collective bargaining group) and then is complaining that they turned the deal down.  WHY IS THE FOCUS OF THE CONVERSATION NOT THAT WOMEN MAKE 98 CENTS FOR EVERY DOLLAR WHEN ADJUSTED FOR OTHER FACTORS.  What are the chances some portion of the 2% is for other factors outside even the scope of the research? 

Everyone knows about how today in 2021 the pervasive white supremacy infrastructure and systemic racism evident in every interaction is keeping the black population down.  With a correlation coefficient of -0.99 how important might THIS be?  How important might THIS be.  Why is this not the focus of the conversation today, in 2021?  Racism exists, but you would never know that we have made breathtakingly incredible progress in the past few decades (look at the race based wage gap in earlier link). 

Why are these things not the basis of our discussions?  Why are we not building on this?  Why are we instead looking to blame and hate each other and the color of our skin in 2021.   

@KarmaPolice @rockaction (tagging b/c of this conversation a few posts up about the race of the attackers)

I posted this link last week in the Asian spa shooting thread. At the time when "White supremacy" was the headline. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/03/18/asian-american-hate-incidents-rise-us-kaye-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

Of the handful of instances they show, all were done by black. The only instance recorded of a white was a verbal attack.  Not that either is right, but verbal vs physical is a huge difference. 

Again, I know this is a but a very small sampling of instances and only what was caught on film. But as I said, this video was linked on CNN along with the shooting coverage last week while the "White Supremacy" theme was the topic of the day. 

So, for the past four years the left/msm has been brainwashing everyone about how Trump and generally non woke white people made US a terrible country and driving massive white extremism (sorry no links for those people living under rocks).  Is it possible that they have created hate?  When every day entire populations of people are told how repressed they are.  How much danger they are in!!!  How white people hate them.  How Asians are taking up all the seats in good schools in NYC.  How Georgia just brought Jim Crow back. On and on and on

Do we think the 18 (out of 20) people of color arrested last year in NYC for hate crimes in the article linked above were Trump supporters? 

Is it possible that when hate and singular injustices and misleading opinions are reported as news every day that they are fomenting hate and hate crimes?  Is it possible this is the strategy of the left/msm?  What would be any other possible explanation other than extreme insanity?

Why is that the left/media never brings the concept of proportionality and perspective into their reporting?  Why is it that concepts like controlling for not relevant factors are never included as perspective in their narrative?  It can't be that they are uneducated given they are generally the privileged of the privileged being minted out of our Ivy league universities. 

Police shootings.  SAME BLACK KILLING RATES AS WHITES.  Why is this not consistently reporting in every discussion about police shootings.

Hate crimes.  LINK.  Whites are 75% of the population and 52% of crime.  WHITES ARE PROPORTIONALLY LESS LIKELY TO COMMIT HATE CRIMES.  Blacks are 14% of the population and 24% of the hate crimes.  Blacks are commit hate crimes at a rate 50%+ greater than the rest of the population.  Why are we focused on the new epidemic of white hate crimes.

Gender wage gap.  Our Vice Presidents issue du jour.  You hear a ton about women only making 82 cents on the dollar.  She touts a female soccer star who apparently turned down a great deal (as part of a collective bargaining group) and then is complaining that they turned the deal down.  WHY IS THE FOCUS OF THE CONVERSATION NOT THAT WOMEN MAKE 98 CENTS FOR EVERY DOLLAR WHEN ADJUSTED FOR OTHER FACTORS.  What are the chances some portion of the 2% is for other factors outside even the scope of the research? 

Everyone knows about how today in 2021 the pervasive white supremacy infrastructure and systemic racism evident in every interaction is keeping the black population down.  With a correlation coefficient of -0.99 how important might THIS be?  How important might THIS be.  Why is this not the focus of the conversation today, in 2021?  Racism exists, but you would never know that we have made breathtakingly incredibly progress in the past few decades (look at the race based wage gap in earlier link). 

Why are these things not the basis of our discussions?  Why are we not building on this?  Why are we instead looking to blame and hate each other and the color of our skin in 2021.   
What I have been trying to find is if there is further breakdown of those stats to maybe see even more what might be going on.   Those were the type of stats that I was referring to with RA and why I was asking about a link to what he was seeing.   In the bolded, it's "hate crimes" in total - but I was curious if there were differences between the types.  Ie - that includes crimes based on race, sexual preference, religion, and gender.   Do those 52/24%  hold up unviversally, or they change with those types?   Also, I still haven't found an answer to that remaining 15% (unknown) and how that fits in.  

Can't comment much more on why the media reports the way they do.  I've expressed my opinion as to why I think that is.  

@KarmaPolice @rockaction (tagging b/c of this conversation a few posts up about the race of the attackers)

I posted this link last week in the Asian spa shooting thread. At the time when "White supremacy" was the headline. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/03/18/asian-american-hate-incidents-rise-us-kaye-pkg-ac360-vpx.cnn

Of the handful of instances they show, all were done by black. The only instance recorded of a white was a verbal attack.  Not that either is right, but verbal vs physical is a huge difference. 

Again, I know this is a but a very small sampling of instances and only what was caught on film. But as I said, this video was linked along with the shootings last week while the "White Supremacy" theme was the topic of the day. 
Thanks.  Appreciate the links and the discussion.  

Again, I know this is a but a very small sampling of instances and only what was caught on film. But as I said, this video was linked along with the shootings last week while the "White Supremacy" theme was the topic of the day. 
I am not that old but I never ever heard the term "white supremacy" until recently.  Have never heard it used once in my day to day life by anyone of any race. Only hear it on the news and by a handful of political speakers..

Well said.  

For those of us who don't particularly care of the societal tact the the Left is taking with the various agendas.....we don't see the flag of the Right, many of whom push a political narrative such as this, as a viable alternative to rally around.

What I have been trying to find is if there is further breakdown of those stats to maybe see even more what might be going on.   Those were the type of stats that I was referring to with RA and why I was asking about a link to what he was seeing.   In the bolded, it's "hate crimes" in total - but I was curious if there were differences between the types.  Ie - that includes crimes based on race, sexual preference, religion, and gender.   Do those 52/24%  hold up unviversally, or they change with those types?   Also, I still haven't found an answer to that remaining 15% (unknown) and how that fits in.  

Can't comment much more on why the media reports the way they do.  I've expressed my opinion as to why I think that is.  
I think that data is there, don't have it handy.  I do recall that about 40% (or maybe it is 60%)...either way a large porportion of hate crimes (which are a small number to begin with) are non physical.

Regarding MSM, you have and I think you are partly right.  Ideology and politics is the additional component.

Well said.  

For those of us who don't particularly care of the societal tact the the Left is taking with the various agendas.....we don't see the flag of the Right, many of whom push a political narrative such as this, as a viable alternative to rally around.
The politicians on the right suck (who are really the flag bearers).  Some of their policy sucks. 

First of all, let me address the actual situation. This was clearly a hate crime as shown by the audio and with multiple kicks to the head like that, that women easily could have been killed. This man needs to be held accountable and thrown in jail.

Now going off of your point, coming from the people who claim to be so tired of talking about race, it's pretty bizarre how much they bring it up, huh? Do they think they're being slick about it or something? Because it's pretty damn clear they have zero problem talking about race, it all depends which one it is and what the scenario is.

First of all, let me address the actual situation. This was clearly a hate crime as shown by the audio and with multiple kicks to the head like that, that women easily could have been killed. This man needs to be held accountable and thrown in jail.

Now going off of your point, coming from the people who claim to be so tired of talking about race, it's pretty bizarre how much they bring it up, huh? Do they think they're being slick about it or something? Because it's pretty damn clear they have zero problem talking about race, it all depends which one it is and what the scenario is.
I don't like the "hate crime" thing..at all.

Anyone kicking another person in the head, regardless of color, should be charged with a hate crime.    It's yet another silly distinction that is being used when it shouldn't be.

Seems unwarranted, unless there’s a lot more to this story. Asian hate crimes are still perpetrated by whites predominantly - unsurprising since they make up the majority of the population. While African Americans may be over represented in this sub segment, it’s not like other hate crimes are perfectly distributed according to race of perpetrator. The guy in the video sure looks black, and I haven’t seen anything suggesting otherwise, so the implication that whites are being unfairly singled out (and AA given a pass) doesn’t make a whole lotta sense.

But I agree with RA that the race of the assailant shouldn’t be important regardless. If that is one’s stance, not sure why omitting the race of the guy in the video causes people to get pissy.
Are they? The stats that were in this thread earlier only speak to assaults against asians, but those were an almost even split. Where is the data that hate crimes against asians are predominantly white offenders? 

Users who are viewing this thread