What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Customized Fantasy Schedules vs Standard Schedule Your League Platform Provides (1 Viewer)

Do you normally use the schedule built into the league management platform you're using or do you cr

• The schedule built into the league management platform

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • A custom schedule

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Question for the Shark Pool.

In your season long leagues that have head to head games, do you normally use the schedule built into the league management platform you're using or do you create a custom schedule?

Voted standard but I know 2 of 4 at least tinker with the MFL default. One uses 2 or 3 double header weeks and those get moved to NFL weekends that have no bye weeks. The other shuffles the schedule to ensure the last few games are divisional h2h so there's better chances for a win-to-get-in scenario. It's been 5 years since I was commish on MFL but I think both cases may just be an option offered on the platform. Either way, the schedule is based on the platform default and not a full custom schedule. 

Customize. We have a home field advantage rule where the home team gets to pick the super flex position for both teams. We also like to organize the schedule so that there is a 3 week gap between playing the same opponent, and we put the two inter division weeks on the weeks with heavy byes.

customize.....3 division winners make the playoffs and then the final 3 spots are filled by the teams with the best "all play" record throughout the year....

usually two double header weeks when there are no byes....

the 3....3....set up allows for division record to mean something....but then also rewards the "truly" next best week to week teams....that way good teams don't get totally screwed by those weeks when they were the second highest scoring team in the entire league that week but just happened to be playing the highest scoring team....

customize.....3 division winners make the playoffs and then the final 3 spots are filled by the teams with the best "all play" record throughout the year....

usually two double header weeks when there are no byes....

the 3....3....set up allows for division record to mean something....but then also rewards the "truly" next best week to week teams....that way good teams don't get totally screwed by those weeks when they were the second highest scoring team in the entire league that week but just happened to be playing the highest scoring team....
This is why we did away with divisions.  

I was annoyed with this thing where the 4th best team in one division could win another division.  All the reasons in the world to have divisions in the NFL, I don't see it in fantasy.  

This is why we did away with divisions.  

I was annoyed with this thing where the 4th best team in one division could win another division.  All the reasons in the world to have divisions in the NFL, I don't see it in fantasy.  
spot on....some old school guys really liked the division thing....but I too got tired of what you mentioned....we feel this set up is the perfect compromise...

with the uncertainty heading into last year....we agreed to make the switch fully to "all play" with no divisions.....just ranked 1-12 based on "all play" record.....so that way if the season got cut short or whatever, we would have a clear way to determine the winners.....

IMO straight "all play" is really the best option.....

In Fantasy Legends 1 and 2 it is only custom in weeks 12 and 13 to give better teams the previous season a harder schedule and weaker teams from the previous season an easier schedule.

Play 9 teams once and 2 teams twice. I will use MFL to generate the schedule and the only manual setups will be for weeks 12 and 13, where teams will be scheduled based upon their regular season finish.

week 12

#1 vs #2

#3 vs #4

#5 vs #6

#7 vs #8

#9 vs #10

#11 vs 12

week 13

#1 vs #3

#2 vs #4

#5 vs #7

#6 vs #8

#9 vs #11

#10 vs #12

Wednesday Bump.

Another question - for you folks that use a custom schedule, how do you create it?
We created a schedule when the league started and continue to use that same schedule with some slight mod. Random first 11 weeks then replay your division but that order changes from previous year depending on finish so previous 1 and 2 play week 14. 

Wednesday Bump.

Another question - for you folks that use a custom schedule, how do you create it?
MFL will crank out a basic schedule for you after you put in your basic desired parameters....and then you also have the ability to move weeks around....add/subtract matchups to certain weeks...... if you want some double headers and don't want them during bye weeks, etc....

In the only league I commish (redraft - Yahoo), we randomize the schedule every year because it just repeats season to season.  Your Week 1 opponent is the same every year, for example.  

Playoff schedule is default though (3 rounds, top 2 get a bye, 1 week for each matchup), but we turned on reseeding after each round. 

A good picture of how the Shark Pool is so different from the average internet Fantasy Football player in March. 

Out of 1000+ votes, 65% of the people that follow me on twitter use the standard schedule and don't create a custom schedule.

https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1377225265349328896?s=20

Super small sample size here but twice as many people here create a custom schedule. 

Exactly as I'd expect.

Not necessarily good or bad. Just a reminder of how different this forum is compared to others. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wednesday Bump.

Use the system scheduling on MFL and then tinker with it.  They don't have the schedule option that we use for ours (2 divs, play everyone once and 2 div rivals twice).

So I guess it's both.

Users who are viewing this thread