Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Matt Gaetz Under Investigation for Sex Trafficking


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly, I think there are few things less productive than arguing about hypocrisy on a message board. First, it’s often a generalized comment about groups of posters, which seems facially ridiculous

Today’s GOP:  Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney - “BOOOOOOO!!!!” Matt Gaetz, Roy Moore - “CIRCLE THE WAGONS!!!”

Not nearly as bad as a can of tuna in a crowded movie theatre.

2 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Don't forget the 60 Minutes star, DeSantis.

I saw in another thread something about 60 Minutes, but I don't know what that's all about.  DeSantis is certainly special as well, but I feel like there's hope for him?  Maybe I'm a little drunk today?  I think he's doing whatever he has to in order to become a viable Presidential Candidate, but something tells me once he makes it his followers would not get what they thought they were getting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

When he's elected POTUS in 2024 you won't be so smug, will you?

I'll be very smug knowing he doesn't stand a chance. I want him to run for pres to get him out of office everywhere, he'll be slaughtered and we'll have Nikki Fried as the new gov.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"They aren’t coming for me — they are coming for you. I’m just in the way."

This.

I just.

W...

:sigh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

"They aren’t coming for me — they are coming for you. I’m just in the way."

This.

I just.

W...

:sigh:

Reiterating orangutan speak leads to mind locks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Commish said:

I saw in another thread something about 60 Minutes, but I don't know what that's all about.  DeSantis is certainly special as well, but I feel like there's hope for him?  Maybe I'm a little drunk today?  I think he's doing whatever he has to in order to become a viable Presidential Candidate, but something tells me once he makes it his followers would not get what they thought they were getting. 

Of course

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Daily Beast: In two late-night Venmo transactions in May 2018, Matt Gaetz sent accused sex trafficker Joel Greenberg $900. The next morning, over the course of 8 minutes, Greenberg used Venmo to send three young women varying sums of money totalling $900.

Didn't hear anything about money for the Molly, so I'm guessing the 17 year old provided that.  

:moneybag:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, massraider said:

Didn't hear anything about money for the Molly, so I'm guessing the 17 year old provided that.  

:moneybag:

I eagerly await Greenberg's very logical explanation for that coincidence - showing Gaetz in only the best possible light.

:coffee:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amused to Death said:

I eagerly await Greenberg's very logical explanation for that coincidence - showing Gaetz in only the best possible light.

:coffee:

 I think Mr Greenberg will have a very logical explanation that will reduce his time behind bars by a few months. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/us/politics/matt-gaetz-investigation.html#click=https://t.co/rPcWJwCHzJ

Feds learned in recent weeks about a conversation Gaetz and a prominent lobbyist had about having a sham candidate run in a Fla State Senate race in 2020 to siphon votes from an ally’s opponent.

And the hits keep on coming for Gaetz. Have any Republicans said a word about Gaetz yet? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/us/politics/matt-gaetz-investigation.html#click=https://t.co/rPcWJwCHzJ

Feds learned in recent weeks about a conversation Gaetz and a prominent lobbyist had about having a sham candidate run in a Fla State Senate race in 2020 to siphon votes from an ally’s opponent.

And the hits keep on coming for Gaetz. Have any Republicans said a word about Gaetz yet? 

I think the Majorie Taylor Green and Jim Jordan said they stand with him :lol:

  • Laughing 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

No thread about Hunter Biden's sextape with legal aged women?  What a shocker! One woman looks like she is 30.  GOP granny porn.  Its sickening.  Hunter needs to resign now!!!

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaetz-tied group threatens to sue reporters writing on his Trump relationship

Quote

The entity, Logan Circle Group, is run by Harlan Hill, a former Democrat who became a top Trump surrogate during the 2016 presidential election. The official behind the recent legal threats is Erin Elmore, a colleague of Hill’s at the Washington-based consulting firm and a Season 3 contestant on “The Apprentice.”

Harlan Hill is definitely worth the image search, and has his own nasty rabbit hole you can follow.  

But Erin Elmore, she is a hot ticket.  

Got a little coverage when she went all Laura Loomer on meth with a British host, here.  

Now then, if Erin's bookcase looked a little weird, well, Twitter agreed.

PAYOFF

I heart this whole story

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

When he's elected POTUS in 2024 you won't be so smug, will you?

 

7 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

I'll be very smug knowing he doesn't stand a chance. I want him to run for pres to get him out of office everywhere, he'll be slaughtered and we'll have Nikki Fried as the new gov.

Here's the thing and I just picked you two at random but mostly because I know JM lives in the same State as I do and in general this Blade Runner is a good poster and fun to read even if you disagree with him. The MoP Kiss of Death right there but it is what it is(Jerry Seinfeld)

-The FL Gov was actually praised and was defended by the Democrat who is the Mayor of Palm Beach, Dave Kerner which was kind of ironic I thought but he blasted 60 Minutes for the way they covered DeSantis, and said there is no truth to the Publix rollout of the vaccine 🤷‍♂️  I don't watch 60 Minutes or stopped when Andy Rooney died and even some time prior it was all wearing thin. 

Again I caution folks to not be so fast to grab a jersey color and start fighting. In the NFL, there are 32 teams but at the end of the day most of the players are friends and understand being a professional both on and off the field and of course there are some who don't but wait a bleeping minute...isn't this the Matt Gaetz thread? How the bleep is a FL Governor discussion breaking out in a sex trafficking scandal involving Matt Gaetz? Did I miss a memo where DeSantis was sending tick tock bitcoin and paid with an apple he picked out of a Publix produce department? When was that reported? Not that I watch much but I try and keep up on a few things like the Governor suing the Federal Government, now where is that thread? 

Florida Sues the Feds...now listen here Ron, as a person who was heavily involved with the "Rave Rule" in Central Florida in '97-'98 and finally things got so heated I had the ATF up my ### trying to close down my clubs, this does not end well when you take on the Federal Government and Lord knows I'd love to board a cruise ship with thousands upon thousands of my closest friends and explore wild Caribbean Islands but please Ron please, don't sue the Federal Government just because we can't get on a cruise ship at the moment. I know it's business but buddy you've been killing it for months and we're all proud of you down here...well most of us, OK some of us...a few of us think you did OK, so don't blow it by starting a holy war over Her Majesty of the Seas, please.

Back to the regularly scheduled program now.

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

 

Florida Sues the Feds...now listen here Ron, as a person who was heavily involved with the "Rave Rule" in Central Florida in '97-'98 and finally things got so heated I had the ATF up my ### trying to close down my clubs, this does not end well when you take on the Federal Government and Lord knows I'd love to board a cruise ship with thousands upon thousands of my closest friends and explore wild Caribbean Islands but please Ron please, don't sue the Federal Government just because we can't get on a cruise ship at the moment. I know it's business but buddy you've been killing it for months and we're all proud of you down here...well most of us, OK some of us...a few of us think you did OK, so don't blow it by starting a holy war over Her Majesty of the Seas, please.

Pretty sure that's just some posturing to grab a little publicity for himself.  That lawsuit won't go anywhere, and I don't think it'll snap back on anyone, especially the good people of FL.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, the moops said:

No surprise here, Kinzinger is one of the few Republicans left with an actual spine who will stand up for what’s right. Need more Republicans and politicians in general like him.

I’m guessing we’ve heard nothing from Gaetz’s buddy in the same state, DeSantis? I’m sure he’ll find a way to pin this all on the media somehow.

Edited by Bucsfan5493
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

When he's elected POTUS in 2024 you won't be so smug, will you?

Obviously I understand that Republicans want to win back the White House in 2024 but why on earth would you want this awful human being back in power? 

I would have thought that after Jan 6, Covid, his lies about the election and schemes to bilk supporters out of their hard earned money that people would wake up and see what a contemptible and dangerous person he is but no, they want to double down on this character.

No candidate is perfect but please GOP, find someone with at least a shred of integrity to run for prez in 2024.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Obviously I understand that Republicans want to win back the White House in 2024 but why on earth would you want this awful human being back in power? 

I would have thought that after Jan 6, Covid, his lies about the election and schemes to bilk supporters out of their hard earned money that people would wake up and see what a contemptible and dangerous person he is but no, they want to double down on this character.

No candidate is perfect but please GOP, find someone with at least a shred of integrity to run for prez in 2024.  

Looks like the post you’re quoting was referencing DeSantis as 2024 POTUS, not Trump. I’m not a huge fan of DeSantis, but he definitely is not as bad as Trump.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

isn't this the Matt Gaetz thread? How the bleep is a FL Governor discussion breaking out in a sex trafficking scandal involving Matt Gaetz?

...a few of us think you did OK, so don't blow it by starting a holy war over Her Majesty of the Seas, please.

Back to the regularly scheduled program now.

Gaetz and DeSantis are both like a giant perianal abscess that each day comes to a bigger head about to burst. Will today be the day? MSM will surely keep us informed as the scandals unfold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

Looks like the post you’re quoting was referencing DeSantis as 2024 POTUS, not Trump. I’m not a huge fan of DeSantis, but he definitely is not as bad as Trump.

Ah my mistake.  Nevermind then...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, massraider said:
Quote

Daily Beast: In two late-night Venmo transactions in May 2018, Matt Gaetz sent accused sex trafficker Joel Greenberg $900. The next morning, over the course of 8 minutes, Greenberg used Venmo to send three young women varying sums of money totalling $900.

Didn't hear anything about money for the Molly, so I'm guessing the 17 year old provided that.  

:moneybag:

I would caution - this evidence, which I presume is true, is not really evidence of a crime.

 

The Daily Beast even acknowledges that the "teen" in question here was 18 at the time of the transaction.  Now, its possible there were earlier dealings with this young woman, or that there was a different 17-yo girl involved - but this specific allegation is creepy, but not illegal.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I would caution - this evidence, which I presume is true, is not really evidence of a crime.

 

The Daily Beast even acknowledges that the "teen" in question here was 18 at the time of the transaction.  Now, its possible there were earlier dealings with this young woman, or that there was a different 17-yo girl involved - but this specific allegation is creepy, but not illegal.

Paying for sex is illiegal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, trogg78 said:
1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

I would caution - this evidence, which I presume is true, is not really evidence of a crime.

 

The Daily Beast even acknowledges that the "teen" in question here was 18 at the time of the transaction.  Now, its possible there were earlier dealings with this young woman, or that there was a different 17-yo girl involved - but this specific allegation is creepy, but not illegal.

Paying for sex is illiegal.

From the Daily Beast:

The memo field for the first of Gaetz’s transactions to Greenberg was titled “Test.” In the second, the Florida GOP congressman wrote “hit up ___.” But instead of a blank, Gaetz wrote a nickname for one of the recipients. (The Daily Beast is not sharing that nickname because the teenager had only turned 18 less than six months before.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, trogg78 said:

Paying for sex is illiegal.

True - but being a "generous lover" is not.

 

The payments (for "school" or "tuition"), without more, is not enough to convict.

 

And, I don't think any congressman is resigning - or going to jail - for a basic prostitution solicitation charge.  The salacious details are the involvement of an alleged 17-yo.

 

I am not suggesting there is not more to come, or that the Feds don't have testimony from the girl(s) or Greenberg to further explain these payments - but I would just caution to wait for that information to come out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Don't forget the 60 Minutes star, DeSantis.

 

17 hours ago, The Commish said:

I saw in another thread something about 60 Minutes, but I don't know what that's all about. 

 

Gotta be shtick

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2021 at 12:56 PM, Maurile Tremblay said:

Update:

 

Matthew Gertz @MattGertz· 1h

personal update:

my friend is not ratting me out to the feds
my venmo is pristine
i have not traveled to the bahamas this century
the walls are not closing in

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

 

 

Gotta be shtick

Yeah, I don't know why some of you have a hard time believing many of us have no use for our mainstream media :shrug:

All I know right now, based on what I've read here is that 60 Minutes edited video that made DeSantis look bad and because of that incident the entire network is complete trash and no worth anyone's time.  The only reaction I have to that is "why did 60 Minutes feel the need to do that...he does that all by himself all the time".

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

True - but being a "generous lover" is not.

 

The payments (for "school" or "tuition"), without more, is not enough to convict.

 

And, I don't think any congressman is resigning - or going to jail - for a basic prostitution solicitation charge.  The salacious details are the involvement of an alleged 17-yo.

 

I am not suggesting there is not more to come, or that the Feds don't have testimony from the girl(s) or Greenberg to further explain these payments - but I would just caution to wait for that information to come out.

My hunch is that there are drugs involved here.  Weed or molly most probable.  And that Greenberg and Gaetz knew about the girls buying drugs.  So we likely have a sitting Congressman being a sugar daddy for 18 year old girls to buy drugs.

That sort of thing used to be disqualifying for office.  It would certainly disqualify someone seeking to get a security clearance or a job in professional services in the government.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

 

 

Gotta be shtick

Other than announcers saying that 60 minutes will follow football games except on the west coast, I haven’t watched 60 minutes in maybe 15 years?  I also rarely watch network or cable news on TV.  Why would this be shtick?  

Do people really get worked up over TV news?  I thought that was just a Trump thing when he got caught lying.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Other than announcers saying that 60 minutes will follow football games except on the west coast, I haven’t watched 60 minutes in maybe 15 years?  I also rarely watch network or cable news on TV.  Why would this be shtick?  

Do people really get worked up over TV news?  I thought that was just a Trump thing when he got caught lying.
 

I believe the 60 minutes thing has been a huge story in right wing media.  For someone that primarily consumes right wing media, it would be surprising for a generally well-informed person not to know about it because the story has been covered exhaustively.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I believe the 60 minutes thing has been a huge story in right wing media.  For someone that primarily consumes right wing media, it would be surprising for a generally well-informed person not to know about it because the story has been covered exhaustively.

Here's politifact on it: https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/apr/07/unpacking-edits-60-minutes-report-ron-desantis-flo/

I think there's a funny irony here.

Publix donated $10,000 to help DeSantis get reelected and the state subsequently awarded Publix a lucrative contract to distribute the covid vaccine. Did the contract have anything to do with the donation? There's no solid evidence that it did aside from "common sense": if you think politicians are corrupt, of course that looks bad. But there were also plenty of good reasons for the partnership. So the suggestion by 60 minutes that DeSantis may have had a corrupt motive -- in part made by trimming his explanation of the non-corrupt reasons he cited -- seems like a possible overreach.

60 Minutes edited the video of DeSantis, and the edited version makes DeSantis look worse than the unedited version. Did the editing have anything to do with anti-DeSantis or anti-Republican partisanship? There's no solid evidence of that aside from "common sense": if you think 60 Minutes is a shill for Democrats, of course their editing looks bad. But there were also plenty of good reasons to cut down a three-minute answer to a one-minute answer showing the most salient parts. So the suggestion by right-wing media polemicists that 60 Minutes might have had a partisan motive seems like a possible overreach.

Both DeSantis and 60 Minutes have plausible explanations here. But both DeSantis and 60 Minutes look bad if you discount those explanations. I think it's hard, objectively, to say that one looks bad while the other looks good -- just based on this incident -- if we're evaluating the evidence even-handedly.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Desantis came across well in both the edited 60 minute piece and the unedited version. I say this as a non fan, but I thought besides his over the top "I am smarter than you and I will let you know that at every possible instance" he answered the questions and gave reasonable explanations. I am still unsure why people are so outraged. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:
1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I believe the 60 minutes thing has been a huge story in right wing media.  For someone that primarily consumes right wing media, it would be surprising for a generally well-informed person not to know about it because the story has been covered exhaustively.

Here's politifact on it: https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/apr/07/unpacking-edits-60-minutes-report-ron-desantis-flo/

I think there's a funny irony here.

Publix donated $10,000 to help DeSantis get reelected and the state subsequently awarded Publix a lucrative contract to distribute the covid vaccine. Did the contract have anything to do with the donation? There's no solid evidence that it did aside from "common sense": if you think politicians are corrupt, of course that looks bad. But there were also plenty of good reasons for the partnership. So the suggestion by 60 minutes that DeSantis may have had a corrupt motive -- in part made by trimming his explanation of the non-corrupt reasons he cited -- seems like a possible overreach.

60 Minutes edited the video of DeSantis, and the edited version makes DeSantis look worse than the unedited version. Did the editing have anything to do with anti-DeSantis or anti-Republican partinship? There's no solid evidence of that aside from "common sense": if you think 60 Minutes is a shill for Democrats, of course their editing looks bad. But there were also plenty of good reasons to cut down a three-minute answer to a one-minute answer showing the most salient parts. So the suggestion by right-wing media polemicists that 60 Minutes might have had a partisan motive seems like a possible overreach.

Both DeSantis and 60 Minutes have plausible explanations here. But both DeSantis and 60 Minutes look bad if you discount those explanations. I think it's hard, objectively, to say that one looks bad while the other looks good -- just based on this incident -- if we're evaluating the evidence even-handedly.

I haven't been following the 60 Minutes/DeSantis story......is that really the primary complaint from conservatives? That 60 Minutes edited an interview?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Update:

 

Matthew Gertz @MattGertz· 1h

personal update:

my friend is not ratting me out to the feds
my venmo is pristine
i have not traveled to the bahamas this century
the walls are not closing in

Sooooo 1999?

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Here's politifact on it: https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/apr/07/unpacking-edits-60-minutes-report-ron-desantis-flo/

I think there's a funny irony here.

Publix donated $10,000 to help DeSantis get reelected and the state subsequently awarded Publix a lucrative contract to distribute the covid vaccine. Did the contract have anything to do with the donation? There's no solid evidence that it did aside from "common sense": if you think politicians are corrupt, of course that looks bad. But there were also plenty of good reasons for the partnership. So the suggestion by 60 minutes that DeSantis may have had a corrupt motive -- in part made by trimming his explanation of the non-corrupt reasons he cited -- seems like a possible overreach.

60 Minutes edited the video of DeSantis, and the edited version makes DeSantis look worse than the unedited version. Did the editing have anything to do with anti-DeSantis or anti-Republican partisanship? There's no solid evidence of that aside from "common sense": if you think 60 Minutes is a shill for Democrats, of course their editing looks bad. But there were also plenty of good reasons to cut down a three-minute answer to a one-minute answer showing the most salient parts. So the suggestion by right-wing media polemicists that 60 Minutes might have had a partisan motive seems like a possible overreach.

Both DeSantis and 60 Minutes have plausible explanations here. But both DeSantis and 60 Minutes look bad if you discount those explanations. I think it's hard, objectively, to say that one looks bad while the other looks good -- just based on this incident -- if we're evaluating the evidence even-handedly.

If the crux of the issue for "conservatives" is that 60 minutes edited video to make it look like he favored Publix, I'd say 60 Minutes fell flat on their face in their research. Theres been plenty of pandering to GOP supporters in this state since the rollout began. Theres no question about that, but Publix is WAAAAAY down the list to the point that I wouldnt even consider it pandering given the dollar amounts at play here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

If the crux of the issue for "conservatives" is that 60 minutes edited video to make it look like he favored Publix, I'd say 60 Minutes fell flat on their face in their research. Theres been plenty of pandering to GOP supporters in this state since the rollout began. Theres no question about that, but Publix is WAAAAAY down the list to the point that I wouldnt even consider it pandering given the dollar amounts at play here. 

What?  The point was that it was a hit piece and yet another example of the media lying to us and favoring - yet again - one side of the aisle.  Has nothing to do with Publix.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

What?  The point was that it was a hit piece and yet another example of the media lying to us and favoring - yet again - one side of the aisle.  Has nothing to do with Publix.

Ok....maybe you guys should stop watching that crap. :shrug:

FWIW, I was going by the link and comment MT posted. As i said before, there is really no need to edit his comments. Just show the press conferences and observe his actions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

What?  The point was that it was a hit piece and yet another example of the media lying to us and favoring - yet again - one side of the aisle.  Has nothing to do with Publix.

So, Republicans are newly outraged because the mainstream media did something that Republicans have been saying that the mainstream media has been doing for years?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sea Duck said:

So, Republicans are newly outraged because the mainstream media did something that Republicans have been saying that the mainstream media has been doing for years?

Huh?  I don't think you're understanding what's going on here.  Maybe take some time to think this thru instead of being facetious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry, as much as we'd love to allow people to change the subject,

 

Quote

#BREAKING: The House Ethics Committee has opened an investigation of Rep. Matt Gaetz.

Among the accusations listed in the House Ethics Committee regarding Rep. Matt Gaetz is sexual misconduct, illicit drug use, sharing nude images on the House floor, misusing identification records, campaign funds for personal use, accepting bribes, improper gratuity and gifts.

Pristine like his Venmo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...