What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 years ago today... (1 Viewer)

simsarge

Footballguy
Warning. Not for the squeamish or faint of heart 

I was diagnosed with squamous cell in the cheek and jaw in January. Prognosis was +/- 2 years.

After a lot of research, #####ing, crying, being pissed at the world for screwing me over, and generally feeling rather hopeless, I opted for the recommendation of surgery. I chose what turned out to be a very VERY excellent Dr at the University of Penn. 

Surgery was scheduled for 3/31. At 5AM I was wheeled into the OR. After putting the sleepy stuff in my IV, I was asked to count down from a hundred. I might have made it to 97. When I woke up it was almost midnight. 

The process is called Fibula Free flap surgery for a mandiblectomy. Essentially they take and slice my neck open, peeled my face back like a banana. Cut out my jaw bone and make the bone they had just taken out of my leg into a new jaw. 

Part one was this

Then Part two was this

I am fortunate and blessed to have had the most incredible woman in the world by me the whole way. There's not a single day I haven't thanked my lucky stars for her.  And as luck (fate?) would have it, her birthday is in 15 minutes. 

Warning. Not for the squeamish or faint of heart 

I was diagnosed with squamous cell in the cheek and jaw in January. Prognosis was +/- 2 years.

After a lot of research, #####ing, crying, being pissed at the world for screwing me over, and generally feeling rather hopeless, I opted for the recommendation of surgery. I chose what turned out to be a very VERY excellent Dr at the University of Penn. 

Surgery was scheduled for 3/31. At 5AM I was wheeled into the OR. After putting the sleepy stuff in my IV, I was asked to count down from a hundred. I might have made it to 97. When I woke up it was almost midnight. 

The process is called Fibula Free flap surgery for a mandiblectomy. Essentially they take and slice my neck open, peeled my face back like a banana. Cut out my jaw bone and make the bone they had just taken out of my leg into a new jaw. 

Part one was this

Then Part two was this

I am fortunate and blessed to have had the most incredible woman in the world by me the whole way. There's not a single day I haven't thanked my lucky stars for her.  And as luck (fate?) would have it, her birthday is in 15 minutes. 
Congratulations, simsarge! You turned something harrowing into something positive. I can't imagine what that must be like. Good on you!

clicked the links...the music in the second one 😄.

congrats on a new lease on life! 
That's exactly what I was thinking...that background music choice felt like it came from a 1970's era action TV show. 

Simsarge...awesome story!  Wish you well for years to come.  And say happy birthday to that lovely woman by your side for me.

My mom had this same surgery done at the age of 62.  She unfortunately didn’t make it past 2 years.  I’m really, really happy to hear your success story.  

Tough luck and bad genes I guess. I never smoked, dipped or chewed. Army rides people pretty hard to keep good teeth and gums. Your number comes up sometimes 
Yup my mom was probably one of the healthiest people in the world.  Never smoked or drank in her life.  Pretty active and very healthy diet.  No clue how it happened.

fred_1_15301 said:
Yup my mom was probably one of the healthiest people in the world.  Never smoked or drank in her life.  Pretty active and very healthy diet.  No clue how it happened.
Condolences for your Mom.

Someday, somehow someone will figure out how to put an end to this. 

Users who are viewing this thread