What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Texas Rangers Thread - Jack Leiter Era starts Thursday *** (1 Viewer)

Well, they didn't lose last night.

Gallo getting the tires kicked on him from the Yankees and Padres. Probably for the best, not sure where he will be once this team is good again. Kyle Gibson should probably be moved for building blocks as well as soon as possible.

Torn between wanting this team to lose and beating the Astros, and not wanting anything good for Altuve, that game kinda sucked.

Fun Rusty Greer Facts:

• Career Batting Average: 0.305 - 157th all time - same as Mike Trout depending on the day, 0.0003 behind George Brett
  • On-Base Percentage: 0.387 - 131st all time - just behind Tony Gywnn (0.388) and Bryce Harper, ahead of Tim Salmon and Tim Raines
  • On-Base Plus Slugging: 0.865 - 136th all time - same as Josh Hamilton, ahead of Darryl Strawberry and Honus Wagner
  • Range Factor in LF - 31st all time - ahead of Barry Bonds and Vince Coleman
  • Fielding Percentage in LF: 0.9799 - 89th all time, ahead of Rickey Henderson and Stan Musial 
  • Career Putouts in LF: 1621 - 91st all time, ahead of Manny Ramirez and Stan Musial who both played twice as long
Too bad he only played 9 seasons. Would have been interesting to see where he would have been played on the all-time list with a 20 year career.

Fun Rusty Greer Facts:

• Career Batting Average: 0.305 - 157th all time - same as Mike Trout depending on the day, 0.0003 behind George Brett
  • On-Base Percentage: 0.387 - 131st all time - just behind Tony Gywnn (0.388) and Bryce Harper, ahead of Tim Salmon and Tim Raines
  • On-Base Plus Slugging: 0.865 - 136th all time - same as Josh Hamilton, ahead of Darryl Strawberry and Honus Wagner
  • Fielding Percentage in LF: 0.9799 - 89th all time, ahead of Rickey Henderson and Stan Musial 
  • Career Putouts in LF: 1621 - 91st all time, ahead of Manny Ramirez and Stan Musial who both played twice as long
Too bad he only played 9 seasons. Would have been interesting to see where he would have been played on the all-time list with a 20 year career.
Ahhhh yes I remember having him on a few Strat-o-matic teams back in the day.  Loved that guy as a well balanced stud.  

Swept by the Twins. Not a good weekend for the good guys. Or is it? I'm in full tank mode, too bad this draft doesn't seem to have that single guy or two that stick out.

Good call on Rusty Greer.

From a fantasy perspective he and Mark Grudzielanek were always underrated, and could be gotten later in drafts.

Bernie Williams and guys like Geoff Jenkins would go way ahead of Greer, and give similar numbers.

Two homer game from Garcia. Was going to make some comment about how weird it was to win two games in a row, but we hadn't. Could take the series here in a min. #DayBaseball

It's been announced that the Rangers are inducting Adrian Beltre and long time PA Man Chuck Morgan into the Rangers HOF in August. Going to be during a game with Oakland, so Elvis will be in attendance. I'm already SportsCrying(tm) just thinking about that moment between the two of them. 

Kyle Gibson current ERA: 2.17

Honestly the only bright spots are him and Garcia at this point.
Kyle Gibson current ERA: 2.00 (best in the AL)

Can't say enough about his turn around since Opening Day. I'm sure he will make a great Twin soon enough.

Fun Rusty Greer Facts:

Definitely in the top two Rusty’s.

Kyle Gibson current ERA: 2.00 (best in the AL)

Can't say enough about his turn around since Opening Day. I'm sure he will make a great Twin soon enough.
Kyle Gibson current ERA: 1.98

At what point do we consider him a Cy Young front runner? Leading AL in ERA while also being 4th in AVG and 6th in WHIP and not taking a loss so far.

Bogart said:

At what point do we consider him a Cy Young front runner? Leading AL in ERA while also being 4th in AVG and 6th in WHIP and not taking a loss so far.
Who cares.   Another guy that over achieves and is moved out by labor day to a contender for spare parts that never see time. 

I mean the strategy for this team seems to be:

• Draft players that have a lot of potential.  Make sure you don't develop that potential.  If potential seems to be happening faster than expected trade that player lest they develop and cost you money.
  • Ensure above all else pitching talent doesn't get looks at the majors when not competing, lest you run through the options too soon and have to pay them more, sooner.  It's especially crucial to ensure talent shows no performance at the majors because, you don't want to pay them more, obviously.
  • Spam a bunch of lowball offers to mediocre downhill sliding arms and hope that 4 out of 10 stick.  For the 1 out of 4 that perform trade at the trade deadline for guys that are unlikely to ever contribute or promote a contract that is expensive.
  • Sell 24 inch hot dogs, consider what a 36 in hot dog would bring in revenue.

Kyle Gibson current ERA: 2.29

Buy the dip?

Really like the Jack Leiter pick, after I went back and did my research. (Not even going to pretend I know any names prior to the draft)

The Frisco rotation is starting to come around and when you add in someone like Leiter, the 2023 situation starts to look bright.

The old saying goes "Everybody wins 54 games and loses 54 games. It's what you do with the other 54 that counts." Texas is on pace to go 9-45 with those 54 that count.

Outscored by Buffalo 25-2 this weekend. A rare safety on Jim Kelly who found Andre Reed and Don Beebe in the endzone. Thurman Thomas also found the paydirt twice, yet Steve Christie yanked three extra points "wide right" to be the only negative spot in an otherwise great day in western New York state. 

The old saying goes "Everybody wins 54 games and loses 54 games. It's what you do with the other 54 that counts." Texas is on pace to go 9-45 with those 54 that count.
Dropping eight straight probably changes this, but I'm too baseball sad to do the math.

Trade him yesterday.
Agreed. Gibson and Kennedy for any package worth a darn.

But I have changed my stance on Joseph Nicholas Gallo. Sign him to a max extension. Entering age 27, lockdown on pitcher shenanigans, this guy could lead a team. And just a great guy.  

Updated math: 3-51 on those middle 54.

This team is really really bad.

Kyle Gibson current ERA: 2.86

Man, it's amazing what one sucky outing will do. Removes all your fun number times.
Kyle Gibson current ERA: 2.87

Still 4th best in the AL, but man we need to get him on a plane soon.

All the talking heads are saying the Rangers fleeced the Yanks, that they got long-term high quality prospects.

On the other hand, I saw a interesting chart on the distance of all the outfield outs Gallo has made, with the dimensions of the Yankee rightfield line overlaid in yellow. Almost two dozen of those outs would have been homeruns.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7bGtj_VIAMGI0O?format=jpg&name=medium

Last edited by a moderator:
Trading Gallo hurts. Guy was a good player, an even better person and wanted to be in Texas. I'm not going to pretend that I know what the Rangers got back, but not one name was on the Yankees Top 10 prospects list, from what I could see.

This team's window is pushed back, hopefully we can trade our two arms and reload some more.

Lucked into some suite tickets to the new park on Friday (thanks City Hall of Arlington!!).  The ballpark is amazing. Watching a game in August and not sweating your privates off is a really novel concept. I highly recommend it. Everything about the park is a cool blend of tech, artistic, trendy yet paying respect to the past. The presentation with the huge video boards was next level. So much information. They have leaned into all of the new stats of exit velocity, OPS over BA, etc. Chuck Morgan gets to do his job in this amazing open glass museum to well, him. Lots of great art from the old days, of course lots of Nolan stuff. Pictures of my daughter next to a huge Nolan Ryan bobblehead was the best.

The product on the field is horrible, so now is the time to get tickets easy and take in everything else outside the field of play.

MLB.com updates its prospect rankings, and the Rangers rank higher than in a long time, placing five within the top 100 overall. Here's the top ten for the club (with MLB-wide top-100 in parentheses) plus players added in trades and the draft:

1 (12). RHP Jack Leiter (2nd-highest 2021 draftee after IF Marcelo Mayer at #9)
2 (52). IF Josh Jung
3 (66). RHP Cole Winn
4 (90). IF Justin Foscue
5 (100). C/IF Sam Huff
6. IF Josh Smith
7. IF Ezequiel Duran
8. IF Luisangel Acuna
9. IF Evan Carter
10. IF Maximo Acosta
13. TBD Trevor Hauver
16. IF Cameron Cauley (3rd-round pick)
19. OF Aaron Zavala (2nd-round pick)
24. RHP Glenn Otto

This is what this team has driven me to, plagiarizing the great Scott Lucas of the Newberg Report.

Most exciting game of the year?

Love the comment I saw online right around the 9th inning that said, "Chris Woodward is going to be very happy about this game, regardless of who wins." Really?

Users who are viewing this thread