Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Quintessential 80's song - What is it?

If you had to pick just 1 song  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to beat Dire Straits "Money for Nothing". Kind of encapsulates the time.

For me it’s a certain sound from early to mid 80s Drive-The Cars Dont You Want Me-The Human League The Killing Moon- Echo & the Bunnymen More Than This-Roxy Music   I

She was a be-bop baby on a hard day's night

8 hours ago, Tin Cup said:

80's movies in general had a lot of songs that take you right back to a time and place anytime you hear them.

• If You Leave
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • I Melt With You
  • In Your Eyes
  • (I've Had) The Time Of My Life
  • Take My Breath Away/Danger Zone
  • Axel F
  • Eye Of The Tiger
  • The Power Of Love
  • Holiday Road
  • Somebody's Baby
  • Cruel Summer

What movie was Melt With You?

9 hours ago, Tin Cup said:

80's movies in general had a lot of songs that take you right back to a time and place anytime you hear them.

• If You Leave
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • I Melt With You
  • In Your Eyes
  • (I've Had) The Time Of My Life
  • Take My Breath Away/Danger Zone
  • Axel F
  • Eye Of The Tiger
  • The Power Of Love
  • Holiday Road
  • Somebody's Baby
  • Cruel Summer

Just Once

Not necessarily quintessential ‘80s, but highly memorable for its scene usage.

#gutpunch 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, El Floppo said:

What marco said.

Melt with you has always been my iconic song of the 80s. Voted that.

Some other objective biggees that I don't think have been mentioned...

Bowie- let's dance

Gnr- welcome to the jungle  (more of an 80s outro)

Clash- rock the casbah 

Madonna- holiday

MJ- billie jean 

Some more subjective ones..

Felt- primitive painters

Freur- door doot

New Musik- the planet doesn't mind

The Units- high pressure days

Thanks!

Apologies if this one was mentioned and I overlooked it, but it feels like Africa by Toto should be in this conversation. That song has held up extremely well and now feels like one of those songs that (nearly) everyone knows and likes, even younger people. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, zamboni said:

Just Once

#gutpunch 

I knew what this scene was as seen as I saw the title of the link.  She did a number on him.  Great 80s song.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Apologies if this one was mentioned and I overlooked it, but it feels like Africa by Toto should be in this conversation. That song has held up extremely well and now feels like one of those songs that (nearly) everyone knows and likes, even younger people. 

Yes, has also gotten a big boost over the past several years from Internet sensation Mike Masse.

• Love 1
On 4/3/2021 at 1:51 AM, The Dreaded Marco said:

As is usual though, these threads inevitably morph into "here is my favorite song/band that may fit the definition set forth by the OP"

To clarify, the ones I posted aren't my "favorites" from the 80's.  They are songs, that if I close my eyes why listening, it just transports me to being 11 years old and it's 1984.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

While wearing a Rush shirt. :cool:

That guy does a lot of cool covers. I went down the rabbit hole on YT once of his covers and enjoyed most of them a lot. 

He’s got a whole album(s) of covers on Apple Music that I downloaded - really good stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:
3 hours ago, zamboni said:

Yes, has also gotten a big boost over the past several years from Internet sensation Mike Masse.

While wearing a Rush shirt. :cool:

That guy does a lot of cool covers. I went down the rabbit hole on YT once of his covers and enjoyed most of them a lot. 

whoa ...never heard of this guy ...he is pretty fantastic!  

just heard the Africa cover - sold.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, shuke said:

To clarify, the ones I posted aren't my "favorites" from the 80's.  They are songs, that if I close my eyes why listening, it just transports me to being 11 years old and it's 1984.  

Ditto. Although I wasn't 11 in 1984, I just posted songs that are synonymous with the 80s imo.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2021 at 1:51 AM, The Dreaded Marco said:

As is usual though, these threads inevitably morph into "here is my favorite song/band that may fit the definition set forth by the OP" and that is why I love them---more music to hear because it's too difficult to limit it to one.

I thought the same thing, but didn’t want to be that guy. I suspect we’ll have about half the ‘80s posted by 5PM EST tomorrow, but it’s all good - as you say, more music is always better.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, zamboni said:

Huge fan of his.  We've talked about him here at FBGs in a couple threads (which of course I can't find because the search sucks).

This one of his is also magical -- Scarborough Fair.  And also Sound of Silence

• Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Huge fan of his.  We've talked about him here at FBGs in a couple threads (which of course I can't find because the search sucks).

This one of his is also magical -- Scarborough Fair.  And also Sound of Silence

Yeah, I’ve probably led the charge on him in a few of those threads - big fan. Got to see him live about 4-5 years ago.

Another fave is from the ‘90s with a few different guys: No Excuses

But I digress - back to your regularly scheduled ‘80s. 

• Love 1

I would go with something that relies on synthesizer sound like Human League as someone mentioned or Pop Muzic by M. Not saying these are great songs but really hard to imagine them being made in any other decade. 

25 minutes ago, Brony said:

I would go with something that relies on synthesizer sound like Human League as someone mentioned 

Or a sax solo.  Or a guitar solo.  Or all three.

I graduated in the 80s and went with a song that feels like the 80s.  I voted Tears for Fears.   

I was a metal head and really didn’t listen to most of the songs listed much by choice but you couldn’t get away from those songs on the radio or at parties.  I do listen to them fondly now though but my choice would be Jump.   Jump is not close to being my favorite song from the 80s but it seems like the 80s to the max for me.  

45 minutes ago, Brony said:

I would go with something that relies on synthesizer sound like Human League as someone mentioned or Pop Muzic by M. Not saying these are great songs but really hard to imagine them being made in any other decade. 

Eh, that feeds into the stereotype that the 80's were all about synthesizer music (and hair metal), and the 80's had too much variety for any one song to encapsulate everything about it, musically speaking. 

8 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I graduated in the 80s and went with a song that feels like the 80s.  I voted Tears for Fears.   

I was a metal head and really didn’t listen to most of the songs listed much by choice but you couldn’t get away from those songs on the radio or at parties.  I do listen to them fondly now though but my choice would be Jump.   Jump is not close to being my favorite song from the 80s but it seems like the 80s to the max for me.  

I think part of the appeal for Jump was the hype around the debut of the video on MTV: midnight January 1, 1984.  I don't know why I felt so let down by it, but I've held a grudge against that song ever since.

For me, I think the tie-in to an iconic 80s film adds major bonus points. So for me, it comes down to:

Melt With You - Valley Girl

If You Leave - Pretty in Pink

(Don’t You) Forget About Me - The Breakfast Club

Went with (Don’t You) Forget About Me

Edited by bigbottom
On 4/3/2021 at 7:33 PM, northern exposure said:

ETA- I Ran (So Far Away) -Flock of Seagulls deserves a mention.

I’d go with THIS (complete with Jennifer Connelly footage).

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I think part of the appeal for Jump was the hype around the debut of the video on MTV: midnight January 1, 1984.  I don't know why I felt so let down by it, but I've held a grudge against that song ever since.

I thought it was awesome when it came out. Still like the tune a lot despite it being overplayed. 

1 minute ago, bigbottom said:

I thought it was awesome when it came out. Still like the tune a lot despite it being overplayed. 

Maybe I was just caught off guard by the heavy synthesizer sound. I just remember not liking this 'new' direction that sound represented. However, I did really like I'll Wait, so there goes consistency.

2 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:
23 hours ago, zamboni said:

Just Once

#gutpunch 

Was it me, or did both hits from that movie not make the 82 list?

Pretty sure they both did not. I guess not Tim’s speed, but both really good songs. Maybe Bracie will have them.

• Thanks 1
On 4/3/2021 at 9:33 PM, zamboni said:

Just Once

#gutpunch 

Damn you Diane Franklin!!!

Edited by bigbottom
  • Sad 1
36 minutes ago, bigbottom said:
On 4/3/2021 at 10:33 PM, zamboni said:

Just Once

#gutpunch 

Damn you Diane Frank!!!

May have said this in the 1981 song thread: the ##### she re-hooked up with there (Steve Antin), who is actually gay in real life (once dated David Geffen), also played Jessie in the Jessie’s Girl video (go to 0:45 mark).

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 1
On 4/2/2021 at 3:16 PM, gianmarco said:

For me, I think it relates to iconic 80s movies as well.

2 that always come to mind are The Karate Kid and Top Gun. A 3rd one, Real Genius, is more specific for me than everyone else.

First vhs tape I ever bought, and still a top 5 all time movie for me. (Off topic but Chris Knight and Doc Holliday may be my two favorite movie characters of all time.). So I vote Everybody Wants to Rule the World. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:
11 hours ago, TripItUp said:

LOL at "Don't You Forget About Me" not being on the list.

Maybe he just forgot it.

We’re all pretty simpleminded around here.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, bigbottom said:

For me, I think the tie-in to an iconic 80s film adds major bonus points. So for me, it comes down to:

Melt With You - Valley Girl

If You Leave - Pretty in Pink

(Don’t You) Forget About Me - The Breakfast Club

Went with (Don’t You) Forget About Me

Oh Yeah by Yello gets two very 80s-ish movies - Ferris Bueller and Secret of My Success.

• Like 2