Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

MLB moves All-Star game in response to GA voter laws

3 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Politics....Well this is going to hurt many people in my state, missed a great chance for exposure to our state and our people and stadiums...but it will be good for me politically in the long run.  Could have been handled so much better by Abrams for her so called state.

Abrams has been tremendous for the state of Georgia and for our democracy in general. Of course she is going to be very upset over these blatant attempts to destroy the good work that took her years to accomplish. I very much doubt her personal political goals have anything to do with it. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Laughing 2

7 hours ago, timschochet said:

You’re comparing outliers to common occurrences. CBS News is highly trustworthy. That’s why it’s a big story when they (apparently) get something wrong. 

Direct Headline: CBS fires 4 executives, producers over Bush-National Guard report

By By Stephen Kiehl and David Zurawik Jan 11, 2005 at 3:00 AM

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-te.to.cbs11jan11-story.html

Direct Headline: Inside CBS’ fraught investigation into allegations of racism and misogyny

By Meg James Jan. 24, 2021 5 AM PT

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-01-24/cbs-television-stations-peter-dunn-racism-sexism

Direct Headline: The Year of Reckoning at CBS: Sexual Harassment Allegations and Attempts to Cover Them Up

CBS, which was run for decades by Leslie Moonves, has been reckoning with a series of misconduct allegations from across the network

By John Koblin Updated: Dec. 17 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/business/media/cbs-sexual-harassment-timeline.htm

Direct Headline: CBS fires Charlie Rose after sexual-misconduct claims surface; PBS drops his show

Maria Puente 11/21/17

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/11/21/cbs-morning-addresses-charlie-rose-scandal-charlie-does-not-get-pass-here/884102001/

Direct Headline: CBS News Anchor Scott Pelley Claims He Was Fired Over His “Hostile Work Environment” Complaints; CBS News Responds “We Disagree”

By Bruce Haring May 26, 2019 10:58am

https://deadline.com/2019/05/scott-pelley-cbs-news-hostile-work-environment-1202622508/

CBS is trustworthy. Unless you are a woman. Oh, wait, since CBS News is part of the leftist MSM, it doesn't get "cancelled" like everything else.

CBS is also trustworthy, unless of course you want to openly point out the level of toxic hostility in the work environment, then you get fired.

For a news organization, which deals with public media optics, to hold credibility, it needs to hold the line towards integrity in all aspects of it's operations.

59 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Abrams has been tremendous for the state of Georgia and for our democracy in general. Of course she is going to be very upset over these blatant attempts to destroy the good work that took her years to accomplish. I very much doubt her personal political goals have anything to do with it. 

Direct Headline: Trump Hasn't Conceded Georgia. Neither Did Stacey Abrams. What Changed?

A refusal to concede isn't a new concept to Georgia. The 2018 Democratic candidate for governor, Stacey Abrams, also refused to concede to her Republican opponent, Brian Kemp.

Emma Hurt November 18, 20208:00 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/18/935734198/trump-hasnt-conceded-georgia-neither-did-stacey-abrams-what-changed

https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/stacey-abrams-false-claims-about-election-integrity

Direct Headline: CNN pundit irks colleagues by pointing out hypocrisy between coverage of Stacey Abrams, Trump

By Brian Flood  11/17/20

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-stacey-abrams-trump-ham-election-challenge

Direct Headline: Georgia group founded by Stacey Abrams under investigation for seeking out-of-state, dead voters

Group was previously chaired by Democratic Senate candidate Raphael Warnock

By Brooke Singman  12/2/20

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/voter-group-founded-by-stacey-abrams-under-investigation-seeking-out-of-state-dead

Direct Headline: Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams Owes Voters Answers On Her Tax Scandal

August 23, 2018  |  General, Georgia, RGA News

https://www.rga.org/georgia-democrat-stacey-abrams-owes-voters-answers-tax-scandal/

Direct Headline: Stacey Abrams speaks out on Columbus voter eligibility, criticizes Secretary of State

Stacey Abrams defended her sister, federal judge Leslie Abrams Gardner, after Georgia’s top election official criticized her ruling that Muscogee County couldn’t require more than 4,000 voters to prove they can legally vote in Columbus.

By Nick Wooten  December 30, 2020 05:58 PM

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/politics-government/election/article248169635.html

TRUNCATED FOR LENGTH***

Edited by GordonGekko

59 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It's great for democracy when

A) You refuse to concede the Governors race you lost, stating that election was stolen from you. Then you criticize a sitting President for doing the same thing.

B) You barnstorm 850K new voters, then face allegations of ballot chasing/ballot harvesting/election and voter fraud and are investigated for it. When asked where you got the 12 million dollars used to fund this massive registration drive, you refuse to answer.

C) You don't pay your taxes. That's being a great example for fellow Georgians.

D) Your sister, a federal judge, refuses to recuse herself from cases where the rulings worked in Stacey Abram's political favor. How does that make democracy look?

Abrams had her groups literally put up fliers on college campuses telling people they could "change their state of residence" to vote but immediately change it back afterwards. She gave speeches where she talked about pushing for the "undocumented" (i.e. illegal aliens) in her districts to vote.

Nepotism, inviting war with the IRS, hypocrisy about conceding "lost elections" and dark money pushing for voter/election fraud accusations. This all sounds very "democratic" to me. This all sounds like it was designed to benefit all Georgians and not just Stacey Abrams and her personal political ambitions. Right?

Right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

Politics....Well this is going to hurt many people in my state, missed a great chance for exposure to our state and our people and stadiums...but it will be good for me politically in the long run.  Could have been handled so much better by Abrams for her so called state.

Hopefully local people will hold MLB and Rob Manfred as well as the MLBPA and Tony Clark accountable for taking the next step to help the citizens of Atlanta and raise money for causes in the area.  I hope they can, but not sure they'll get the news coverage they'll need to call them out and demand it.  The media has gotten what they needed from this and will move on.  Meanwhile, the Braves sent emails out today trying to raise money for the Henry Aaron Fund in honor of "715 Day" when he broke Babe Ruth's record on April 8, 1974.  The team has, and continues to try and do good works in the community.  It will be a drop in the bucket versus what they could have done.

• Like 1

Legacy Media Corruption Is At The Heart Of Our National Conflict

The Georgia example is instructive in illustrating exactly how much of our conflict is downstream of the broken media.

By Emily Jashinsky

The media’s false reporting about new election legislation in Georgia whipped up a controversy that left millions of people grossly misinformed, frightened voters, mired major corporations in high-stakes public relations frenzies, distracted the political discourse, and furthered the country’s divisions. In short, it’s a perfect example of how the media is fueling our national conflict.

In this case, the media uncritically regurgitated Georgia Democrats’ partisan hyperbole, treating a narrative the party strategically crafted to defeat the legislation as fact and turning it into a long and false national news cycle. That news cycle left the public with an impression that the legislation was objectively racist.

That impression scared and motivated the public, leading employees to pressure executives into action. Worse, the false coverage led millions of people to believe that a major political party representing half the country was seeking to reinstate Jim Crow.

The coverage from our country’s major publications was so bad that after a few days, even liberals like Minnesota Rep. Dean Phillips and Will Saletan of Slate began pushing back. Those responsible for the bad coverage, which is the bulk of the legacy press, appear to be facing no consequences.

Over at RealClearPolitics, Carl Cannon wrote a poignant column on the offensive absurdity of invoking Jim Crow in this context.

“When Donald Trump likened his being impeached to a lynching, living relatives of Willie Edwards and Emmett Till called this comparison ‘ignorant’ and ‘insensitive’ and ‘offensive.’ They were right,” Cannon wrote. “But now Biden is invoking racist history, and doing it to score partisan political points. Millions of Americans who voted for him hoped they were done having to listen to such blasphemy from the White House.”

Sadly, the media parroted that partisan spin, legitimizing the Democratic Party’s narrative by presenting it under the banner of journalistic neutrality. For a clearer glimpse at the consequences, read this New York Times reporton the internal frenzy at corporations like Delta and Coca-Cola, which spent days fumbling to respond under pressure from the media, activists, and staff.

That pressure stemmed entirely from misinformation peddled by the legacy media. Without the media’s legitimization of a partisan narrative, concerned employees wouldn’t have been reaching out, the external pressures of a PR threat would have been negligible, and the corporations could have focused on the business of taking us on spring break and making our mixers.

As a result, days of time were wasted at major corporations, bottom lines are taking a hit, the news cycle ignored stories of greater import, and millions of people were misinformed on a serious issue. On the other hand, news outlets drove web traffic and retained eyeballs, so they profited off our conflict and their failure.

Over and over again, the legacy media falsely reports major details of major stories. Take Sunday’s bizarre “60 Minutes” report on Gov. Ron DeSantis, which Mollie Hemingway eviscerated on Monday. On that same network last weekend as well, months after the media worked in concert with Big Tech to suppress a New York Post report, Hunter Biden admitted the infamous laptop could be his.

There is a long list of headline news the legacy media has gotten absolutely wrong in recent years. Their combination of bias and incompetence ensures the bulk of our news is run through a filter and distorted before making its way to the public, thrusting us into an enormously dangerous alternate reality that leaves us ill-informed, divided, and distrustful. (The media, for instances, loves to fear-monger over conspiracy theories. But those theories become more attractive to people because of the media’s abject corruption.)

All that is to say, the media is our primary window into public affairs. That window is obviously shattered. The Georgia example is not an exception, it’s the rule. The legacy press still reports some factual information, puts reporters in harm’s way, and uncovers important details. But it folds nearly all of that work into false broader narratives.

The botched Georgia story, which even Democrats now believe the media botched, should induce some humility in the legacy press. It will not. For a variety of reasons, they mostly refuse to see the cracks in the window, which only makes the situation much worse, leading to gaslighting and an exacerbation of existing faults.

Moreover, the Georgia example is also instructive in illustrating exactly how much of our conflict is downstream of the broken media. If the press had bothered to cover the story fairly, we would have been spared a week of pain and division, corporations would have been spared days of frantic distractions over nonexistent problems, lawmakers could have focused their time on real issues, and voters would have an accurate rendering of the situation.

The media is broken, and that brokenness is a primary source of the country’s problems. Editors should get their reporters in check and publishers should get their editors in check. Given the unlikelihood of that course correction, consumers can help by becoming skilled news readers and supporting new media. Politicians can help by ceasing to reward bad actors with interviews and scoops for the sake of their own ill-conceived communications strategies.

In short, the media is no longer a secondary problem because of its partisan bias. Its ideological bias has festered into incompetence that is creating and worsening just about every single one of our problems as a country, from basic efficiency to institutional trust to race relations. Defeating the legacy media’s stranglehold on information delivery must be a top priority for the left, right, and center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, timschochet said:

You should run for office. You’re a natural politician 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

10 hours ago, GordonGekko said:

A) You refuse to concede the Governors race you lost, stating that election was stolen from you. Then you criticize a sitting President for doing the same thing.

B) You barnstorm 850K new voters, then face allegations of ballot chasing/ballot harvesting/election and voter fraud and are investigated for it. When asked where you got the 12 million dollars used to fund this massive registration drive, you refuse to answer.

D) Your sister, a federal judge, refuses to recuse herself from cases where the rulings worked in Stacey Abram's political favor. How does that make democracy look?

Abrams had her groups literally put up fliers on college campuses telling people they could "change their state of residence" to vote but immediately change it back afterwards. She gave speeches where she talked about pushing for the "undocumented" (i.e. illegal aliens) in her districts to vote.

Nepotism, inviting war with the IRS, hypocrisy about conceding "lost elections" and dark money pushing for voter/election fraud accusations. This all sounds very "democratic" to me. This all sounds like it was designed to benefit all Georgians and not just Stacey Abrams and her personal political ambitions. Right?

Right?

When Democrats do it, it is completely justifiable as they are fighting evil white suprematist deniers terrorist Neanderthal fascists.  When you understand how the left views the right everything makes a lot more sense.  

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

When Democrats do it, it is completely justifiable as they are fighting evil white suprematist deniers terrorist Neanderthal fascists.  When you understand how the left views the right everything makes a lot more sense.  

Can't forget deplorable.

6 minutes ago, rct said:

It hardly seems like a compliment. 

I guess we know how Tim really feels about politicians if he considers that the worst insult.

Edited by Summer Wheat

On 4/7/2021 at 10:28 PM, Ghost Rider said:

I don't think it is racist because I don't think they are motivated by race. I think they are motivated to make it more difficult for a demographic that heavily votes Democrat to vote.  If 90% of the black community voted for Republicans, the GOP would be doing everything they could to make it easier for them to vote. Do you disagree? 

Full disclosure: I think having an ID to vote should be a requirement, and I also think state-issued ID's should be free and steps should be put in place to make it as easy as possible to get that free state ID.  

@timschochet  I am guessing you do not agree with me, since you did not answer.  Just curious, as you are usually more engaging and open to actual discussion. 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:29 PM, GordonGekko said:

Right?

CEO of Cobb County said moving the All-Star game it will cost the area around 100 million in total revenue and wages.

Thanks, Stacey

6 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

CEO of Cobb County said moving the All-Star game it will cost the area around 100 million in total revenue and wages.

Thanks, Stacey

Really is amazing that a completely fabricated lie can have such a large financial penalty on a geographic area. 

23 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Thanks, Stacey

Maybe the CEO of Cobb County should have spoken up sooner - before the legislature rushed through a partisan voting bill.

:shrug:

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 4:22 PM, Ghost Rider said:

@timschochet  I am guessing you do not agree with me, since you did not answer.  Just curious, as you are usually more engaging and open to actual discussion. 

Sorry,  I missed this. 
Technically I agree with you; your logic is sound. But the problem is that they are trying to repress black votes in a state with a history of repressing black votes for racist reasons. It’s impossible to remove that history from whats going on right now. 
Ironically, to you point, they are doing this because blacks vote Democrat. But southern blacks only vote Democrat because, since Robert Kennedy, it was the Democratic Party that helped them get the vote in the first place, amd because the Democratic Party has fought for civil rights issues ever since. If that is ever removed from the equation, I firmly believe that most southern blacks would vote Republican, since they tend to be both culturally and economically conservative by nature. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Maybe the CEO of Cobb County should have spoken up sooner - before the legislature rushed through a partisan voting bill.

What does a County manager have to do with state laws? Did she have the power to change the state legislature?

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Would not matter, she is not involved with state legislature decisions. Maybe Manfred and Stacey should have talked it over and seen how to raise awareness by playing the game and make it a positive for the state. Now it is just a negative all the way around.:shrug:  Tourism gone,Game is gone, $$$$$$ is gone.

Holly Quinlan, president and CEO of Cobb Travel and Tourism, told CNN in a statement that the “estimated lost economic impact” of the league’s decision is more than $100 million.

“In the initial stages of the pandemic, many Cobb hotels saw single digit occupancy numbers,” Quinlan told CNN. “The 8,000-plus contracted hotel room nights that will not actualize as a result of the MLB All-Star Game relocation will have a negative impact on Cobb's hospitality industry and other local businesses, further delaying our recovery.”

Separately, Quinlan said in a news conference on Friday that the event “would have been a big boost to Cobb businesses and help with recovery efforts after the COVID-19 pandemic.”

“We are proud of the hard work and hoe dedicated that many community partners have been to planning the All Star Game activities. And we will continue, as we always do, to show who we are in Cobb through our outreach, customer service and hard work,” she said.

9 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

Thanks, Stacey

I thought they were moving the game because of the introduction of new voting laws that made it more difficult to vote?  Was Stacey involved in that?

9 hours ago, Insein said:

Really is amazing that a completely fabricated lie can have such a large financial penalty on a geographic area. 

I guess this lends credence to the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Will Smith moving his move production out of Georgia.

LOS ANGELES — Antoine Fuqua and Will Smith will move production on their big-budget, runaway slave thriller "Emancipation" out of Georgia in protest over the state's controversial new voting restrictions.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

LOS ANGELES — Antoine Fuqua and Will Smith will move production on their big-budget, runaway slave thriller "Emancipation" out of Georgia in protest over the state's controversial new voting restrictions.

The Racist Boogeyman Behind Every Corner Moral Panic strikes again.

42 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Are they going to film it in Colorado?

• Laughing 2

8 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Huge business in Georgia, a lot to lose here.

57 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

If you die of dehydration in line wouldnt it be harder to vote? 

Come on, guys. It's right their in the Bill of Rights. Amendment 1.5: the right to be served water while in line to vote. 

Most people don't know its there because it's actually in small font.  You have to squint to see it but it is there.

Edited by BladeRunner

2 hours ago, FairWarning said:

When push comes to shove, the corporations back down in Georgia.  Way to do your part in losing the AS Game.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/coca-cola-delta-jpmorgan-among-companies-declining-to-sign-statement-opposing-new-voting-laws/ar-BB1fE9Gp

How is it backing down?  They already came out against it and to my knowledge haven’t retracted it - as a shareholder I’m fine with the initial stance but I want these companies to make money and use their influence where it can but not all the time.  

12 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

How is it backing down?  They already came out against it and to my knowledge haven’t retracted it - as a shareholder I’m fine with the initial stance but I want these companies to make money and use their influence where it can but not all the time.  

I’m a shareholder also.  These companies like to wield their pull.  When push comes to shove though, they are really not making the difference they like to portray.  They would have been better off doing this after the AS game .

Edited by FairWarning

12 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

I’m a shareholder also.  These companies like to wield their pull.  When push comes to shove though, they are really not making the difference they like to portray.  They would have been better off doing this after the AS game .

What difference would signing this statement make...vs what they already did by voicing a concern and the game moving (which created more publicity on the topic)?

• Like 1

I'm happy the corporations have spoken out and hopefully this will lead to a more aware boardroom in a lot of ways.

That being said I'm not surprised some didn't sign.  That's a big step for a corporation.  I'm actually surprised so many did sign

40 minutes ago, killface said:

I'm happy the corporations have spoken out and hopefully this will lead to a more aware boardroom in a lot of ways.

That being said I'm not surprised some didn't sign.  That's a big step for a corporation.  I'm actually surprised so many did sign

The NYT is trying to shame the ones who didn’t.  You’re right that it’s a big step for a Corp, especially the ones who made this a big issue from their perspective.  

like they say, Republicans buy sneakers also.

44 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

What difference would signing this statement make...vs what they already did by voicing a concern and the game moving (which created more publicity on the topic)?

Why did others sign the statement and not the Georgia corps?  I find it curious.