Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

MLB moves All-Star game in response to GA voter laws

Just now, timschochet said:

Simply not true. Liberal boycotts work all the time. Conservative boycotts almost never work. There is a reason for this: liberalism is about change; conservatism is about preventing change. 

Then why is everyone so upset conservatives just changed the voting law 😉🤣

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

No thanks. I don’t want to pick on anyone. 

Edit: I’ll delete that one. No need to get banned for calling someone out who isn’t worth my time. 

Edited by bigmarc27
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rockaction said:

Boycotts never work. Just like embargos don't work. They only make the populace and participants suffer.

This is a terrible move by the MLBPA, and as Shula-holic alluded to in a post in an earlier thread, is just to gain sympathies on the left for their new CBA, which is likely to end in a work stoppage, according to a ton of people in the know.

The intermingling of players' associations and politics is the real trouble here. Individual athletic conscience is one thing. I, for one, won't placate the athletes, but I am willing to give them due consideration. I'll just stop watching. My life goes on if the sport ends, actually. I don't care one way or another. But I'd rather have appropriate laws (not that Georgia's voting laws are appropriate) than be dictated to by a new special interest group -- the players' associations. I don't need that. I don't care how much industry revolves around it -- I just won't watch. Baseball lost me long ago, as it lost a lot -- and I mean a lot -- of viewers in both 1994 due to the strike and then in the 2010s because of pace of play and removal of steroids from the sport which made for a boring game. It's asphyxiating as we speak. So let 'em move and rot.

I recall that Arizona started to recognize MLK day shortly after the NFL pulled the Super Bowl from there in the 90’s

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, timschochet said:

No thanks. I don’t want to pick on anyone. 

Oh yah, you certainly don't like to pick on people.  There's a lot of dumb stuff said in this forum and really its pretty easy just to focus on that, but I'm not sure why one of your favorite tactics seems to be paint other posters as things they are not based on things they didn't say and then hide. 

You did something very similar over the past few weeks and I asked you to show where someone said that and the the bar was shifted to "well nobody here I was referring to republican politicians"

I've said this before and I know you probably don't give a ####, but I used to think you were better, I mean this is a while back maybe 75,000 posts or so ago.  

Show me several posters in this thread saying "this is not trying to make it harder for people to vote" and I stand corrected.

TBH, I don't know if the foundation of this law is to make it harder or not, as I personally stated in this thread it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the thinking well because politicians suck.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GordonGekko said:

The level of fan loss is staggering. And much of this is self inflicted. Lots of fans just want an escape. It doesn't make them bad people for wanting this. You just can't keep driving politics in every facet of every game and then show utter tone deaf hypocrisy and not have people tune out. What's worse is the pandemic only made this all much harder and people who clean the stadiums, who do the concessions, who do the parking, who clean the bathrooms, who cook the food - they are all suffering and many of these athletes look like they just don't give a flying ####.

On an aside, I said this when the PSF was created, I get why this section exists and I participate in it, but any business that has any kind of political imprint of any kind associated with it is dancing with Kryptonite. I agree with the CEO of Coinbase - Politics and business ( that has nothing to do with politics) are better left separated. As a matter of survival if nothing else.

I can't speak for anyone else, as a small business owner, and I run several companies, I have zero politics policy. Talking about it here and with maybe a few people I've known an extremely long time is the extent of it. My employees know I won't tolerate it. I pay everyone well, more than average, and no one has lost their job during the pandemic. No one has taken a paycut. They know I will never let my people or their children go hungry.  Of course since I carry the "old school hammer fist laying grandfather" vibe, I have some small advantage over other business owners.

MLB has been losing fans and struggling with fan engagement for a while now. This is going to backfire but I can see how some in MLB, probably the same folks who think the Astros cheating didn't massacre the image of the game, will see this as a strong shock marketing move to try to get new younger fans. But no one says to themselves, "Wow, MLB is so woke, I'm going to love baseball today because of it" 

MLB revenue has risen for 17 straight years.

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Oh yeah, most definitely. Public service commercials have completely ended drug use, racism, world hunger, etc...  they’re very effective. 😐

And the crime is way down since the NBA, WNBA, and NCAA wore messages on the backs of their uniforms?   Who has stopped racism after Holly Rowe said to?

32 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

I recall that Arizona started to recognize MLK day shortly after the NFL pulled the Super Bowl from there in the 90’s

Wasn’t  MLK a fed holiday that Arizona didn’t recognize?  There is no reason there cannot be federal rules for federal elections, instead of this.

12 minutes ago, FairWarning said:
47 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

Wasn’t  MLK a fed holiday that Arizona didn’t recognize?  There is no reason there cannot be federal rules for federal elections, instead of this.

John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, Clarence Thomas, and Samuel Alito say "Hi."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

I'd support this if it were truly bipartisan.

13 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

I can certainly see why they'd want to disrupt that trend.

For all the talk about baseball being dead, young people don’t like it, it’s too slow, dumb rules, what have you...it still makes bank, revenues go up every year, whenever there is a team for sale billionaires are knocking themselves out to buy it.

This is the most baseball talk this forum has ever seen and there’s a a whole dedicated baseball area :lmao:

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

Well...another stadium and small business owners in another city will get the jobs...so that sort of washes out doesn't it.

And lets not pretend that any of those politicians care about those workers at all.  Nor do those pushing for these laws.

It may be theatrics...but several clubs are coming out in support of the move...there are people all over talking about Georgia enacting these laws.  And polling seems against many of the provisions of that law that people are upset about(no...not all of the law is that...save me the talk about voter ID please...leave that this is all about ID to the social media people complaining).

Just like the weddings in my area leave to the next state over. They get the business and I don’t.  Not exactly a wash.  

of course it’s theatrics.  What Fortune 500 company is going to risk bad PR to stick up for Georgia, whether they mean it or not?

24 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

And the crime is way down since the NBA, WNBA, and NCAA wore messages on the backs of their uniforms?   Who has stopped racism after Holly Rowe said to?

Probably hasn’t, but they a citizens who have every right to voice their opinion.

50 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

Yes, it was the 1992 Super Bowl. But the NFL put a different spin on its decision -- instead of taking sides, commissioner Paul Tagliabue said that the official reason for relocating was so that the game would not become a target for MLK-related protests.

1 hour ago, Yenrub said:

Plus North Carolina received a boycott from the NCAA on championship games being held there after the LGBTQ bathroom bill in 2017. Definitely not unprecedented, sorry GA.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, -fish- said:

Worked for the NFL when Arizona refused to recognize Martin Luther King day.   If MLB, Coca-Cola, Delta and the film industry put the economic hurt to Georgia, the legislators will cave and repeal the worst aspects of this law.   These companies butter their bread.  

That was actually what I liked about Deal. When the legislature would pass stupid laws, he would veto them in the name of business. I don’t doubt for a minute he wasn’t in favor of them, but he cared far more about the big picture and the will of the people.  

1 hour ago, djmich said:

Oh yah, you certainly don't like to pick on people.  There's a lot of dumb stuff said in this forum and really its pretty easy just to focus on that, but I'm not sure why one of your favorite tactics seems to be paint other posters as things they are not based on things they didn't say and then hide. 

You did something very similar over the past few weeks and I asked you to show where someone said that and the the bar was shifted to "well nobody here I was referring to republican politicians"

I've said this before and I know you probably don't give a ####, but I used to think you were better, I mean this is a while back maybe 75,000 posts or so ago.  

Show me several posters in this thread saying "this is not trying to make it harder for people to vote" and I stand corrected.

TBH, I don't know if the foundation of this law is to make it harder or not, as I personally stated in this thread it wouldn't surprise me if that was part of the thinking well because politicians suck.   

Just going back over the last 2-3 pages of this thread I come across certain people claiming that this law doesn’t make it harder for people to vote. Their position comes as no surprise to me given their views on many other issues. But no I’m not going to name them. Why bother? 

Im sorry about your opinion of me. I try to be, and think I am, pretty honest about my views here. It’s not my intention to troll anyone. And I genuinely like most people here (including you.) The few folks I dislike I don’t respond to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

Plus North Carolina received a boycott from the NCAA on championship games being held there after the LGBTQ bathroom bill in 2017. Definitely not unprecedented, sorry GA.

As I wrote, most liberal led boycotts are quite effective. @rockactionis simply wrong about this. It’s only conservative boycotts that typically fail. 

MLB is certainly free to do what they want but for a company that was already struggling to keep viewership up, it seems like a shortsighted attempt to virtue signal that will cost them long term. We'll see where their ratings are at by the end of the season. The NBA and NFL weren't too happy with their ratings this past year. 

8 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

We also lost the NBA All Star Game (came back a couple of years later) and other events. It really was unfortunate because the NC bill was a response to an actual progressive policy in the city of Charlotte. Charlotte was the place that lost the events.

Oh well, it helped get McCrory out and Cooper has performed pretty well.

NCAA boycotted hosting a lot of events in SC until the Confederate flag finally came down.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:
7 minutes ago, Joe Mammy said:

As I wrote, most liberal led boycotts are quite effective. @rockactionis simply wrong about this. It’s only conservative boycotts that typically fail. 

Conservatives are much better at reverse boycotts -- i.e., supporting businesses or people who have become the target (real or imagined) of the liberal agenda. See: Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-A, the entire Fox News bookwriting circuit, etc.

Just now, Sea Duck said:

Conservatives are much better at reverse boycotts -- i.e., supporting businesses or people who have become the target (real or imagined) of the liberal agenda. See: Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-A, the entire Fox News bookwriting circuit, etc.

Good point. They are good at fighting against boycotts, not starting their own. 

3 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

If repealing this bill in GA meant everyone got sweet tea and fried chicken, Republicans would waddle down to protest it as well. 

3 minutes ago, Insein said:

MLB is certainly free to do what they want but for a company that was already struggling to keep viewership up, it seems like a shortsighted attempt to virtue signal that will cost them long term. We'll see where their ratings are at by the end of the season. The NBA and NFL weren't too happy with their ratings this past year. 

The NFL will be fine thanks to gambling and fantasy football.  

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

The NFL will be fine thanks to gambling and fantasy football.  

Only thing keeping it going really. How many of us would stop watching immediately if those 2 things went away?

10 minutes ago, Insein said:

MLB’s revenues prior to 2020 had gone up for 17 years. They are doing something right. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Insein said:

Only thing keeping it going really. How many of us would stop watching immediately if those 2 things went away?

I'd still watch here and there, but not nearly as much.  And I suspect many would follow the same path.  I mean, what reason is there to watch a Jags/Texans game on a Thursday night if you don't have FF players going? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djmich said:

This is like the "what is cancel culture" discussion we had earlier.  I guess everyone can make their own definition and has their own set of "whats" ok but I think you are mostly comparing different things.

I don't like the idea of politics or religion in sports.  To me that means "in the game" or impacting the game.

I don't give a #### what individuals like Tebow or LeBron does in a presser.  I think black athletes working to improve their community and talking about it non stop is frigging awesome (although we may disagree on what they think improvement means and entails).

I think players coming together after a game is over to huddle in prayer or kneel for whatever cause is cool.

I would have no problem kneeling before a game if it wasn't during the anthem.

You may think politicizing sports leagues is great and injecting politics and beliefs into sports is not a big deal.  But not sure why you wouldn't see that many do.  And unfortunately today EVERYTHING is political.   

If this is such a problem for you, then just.....don't watch the games?  This may come off as snarky but it's not intended to be.  If these things aggrieve you so much, surely you can find a better use of your time, no?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I'd still watch here and there, but not nearly as much.  And I suspect many would follow the same path.  I mean, what reason is there to watch a Jags/Texans game on a Thursday night if you don't have FF players going? 

Damn, there’s  no reason to watch that game even if you do. 

5 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

If this is such a problem for you, then just.....don't watch the games?  This may come off as snarky but it's not intended to be.  If these things aggrieve you so much, surely you can find a better use of your time, no?

Of course, who said I was or wasn’t watching the games.

This is a political forum to talk about politics.  You comment is equivalent to saying just vote for Biden if you don’t like conservatives and nobody should talk about politics here.

Or why don’t you just move if you didn’t like Trump the last four years.

Edited by djmich

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Damn, there’s  no reason to watch that game even if you do. 

Agreed.  That's one where I turn on the game, mute it, and scan the net while listening to The Go-Go's. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, djmich said:

Of course, who said I was or wasn’t watching the games.

This is a political forum to talk about politics.  You comment is equivalent to saying just vote for Biden if you don’t like conservatives and nobody should talk about politics here.

Or why don’t you just move if you didn’t like Trump the last four years.

:shrug: I have difficulty getting worked up over what the MLB (or <insert sport league> does or doesn't do w/r/t political overtones/undertones.  Just seems like a waste of energy.  To each their own.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

This wasn't directed at me and even if it was I wouldn't take it personally -- it's a totally reasonable question.  I do think I can chime in here because I think I'm probably pretty typical of a lot of fans.

For me, sports fall into three basic tiers.  In no particular order, the first tier is sports that I don't like and aren't going to watch no matter what.  I've always disliked baseball.  MLB can get as woke as it wants and it won't change my baseball viewing habits at all.  Similarly, I stopped paying attention to the NBA sometime during grad school.  I don't remember why.  It just became boring to me, I quit watching their games, lost track of most of the players, and drifted into complete non-viewership. The NBA can get woke and I'll barely even be aware of it.  My MLB and NBA viewership is completely inelastic with respect to the leagues' ideological lean.

The second tier is the NFL (with the EPL as a distant second that I'm going to just ignore for this discussion).  I'm going to watch all 17 Bills games next year no matter what.  Each broadcast could feature a halftime lecture on social justice by Angela Davis, and I would tune in every Sunday.  If the Bills are good, I'm also going to watch quite a bit of other NFL games because I feel the overall narrative of the league season involves my team and I way stay plugged in.  If the Bills suck, I'll skip most other NFL games regardless.  I might complain about politics seeping into the games, but it doesn't affect whether I watch or not.  Again, my NFL viewership is completely inelastic with regard to the league's ideological lean.

Then you get to the third tier, which is the sports that are entertaining but highly marginal for me personally.  These are sports that I kind of like as a casual fan, and I'll follow them if there's nothing else going on, but I would just as soon drop them if they're going to start preaching at me.  This isn't just a hypothetical and it's easy for me to list a concrete example here: women's soccer.  I like women's soccer and I've watched several women's world cups.  I don't follow the WNT religiously or anything -- I don't see their roster moves, have no idea how WC qualification is going, etc.-- but I'll tune in for the WC and pull for them.  Except I didn't last time because that particular team had a couple of really insufferable players, well one in particular, and I while I care about the WNT a little bit, I definitely don't care enough to sit through a hectoring lecture on gender equality (delivered by people who don't know what they're talking about, of course) every time I want to watch a game.  Netflix is great.  Amazon Prime is great.  Hulu is great.  Video games are great.  My library is great.  There's a ton of other stuff I can do that WNT games have to compete against for my attention.  When they got preachy last time around, I just stuck with those other things.  Here, my viewership is actually pretty elastic with respect to league preachiness.   

The TLDR version of this is that it would be a mistake to assume that stunts like this don't affect viewership.  They probably do among sufficiently casual fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Probably hasn’t, but they a citizens who have every right to voice their opinion.

As a whole, yes.  Do you think every player wanted to wear those messages?  LeBron didn’t.  He could get away with it, a fringe player would be bounced out of the league. 

38 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This wasn't directed at me and even if it was I wouldn't take it personally -- it's a totally reasonable question.  I do think I can chime in here because I think I'm probably pretty typical of a lot of fans.

For me, sports fall into three basic tiers.  In no particular order, the first tier is sports that I don't like and aren't going to watch no matter what.  I've always disliked baseball.  MLB can get as woke as it wants and it won't change my baseball viewing habits at all.  Similarly, I stopped paying attention to the NBA sometime during grad school.  I don't remember why.  It just became boring to me, I quit watching their games, lost track of most of the players, and drifted into complete non-viewership. The NBA can get woke and I'll barely even be aware of it.  My MLB and NBA viewership is completely inelastic with respect to the leagues' ideological lean.

The second tier is the NFL (with the EPL as a distant second that I'm going to just ignore for this discussion).  I'm going to watch all 17 Bills games next year no matter what.  Each broadcast could feature a halftime lecture on social justice by Angela Davis, and I would tune in every Sunday.  If the Bills are good, I'm also going to watch quite a bit of other NFL games because I feel the overall narrative of the league season involves my team and I way stay plugged in.  If the Bills suck, I'll skip most other NFL games regardless.  I might complain about politics seeping into the games, but it doesn't affect whether I watch or not.  Again, my NFL viewership is completely inelastic with regard to the league's ideological lean.

Then you get to the third tier, which is the sports that are entertaining but highly marginal for me personally.  These are sports that I kind of like as a casual fan, and I'll follow them if there's nothing else going on, but I would just as soon drop them if they're going to start preaching at me.  This isn't just a hypothetical and it's easy for me to list a concrete example here: women's soccer.  I like women's soccer and I've watched several women's world cups.  I don't follow the WNT religiously or anything -- I don't see their roster moves, have no idea how WC qualification is going, etc.-- but I'll tune in for the WC and pull for them.  Except I didn't last time because that particular team had a couple of really insufferable players, well one in particular, and I while I care about the WNT a little bit, I definitely don't care enough to sit through a hectoring lecture on gender equality (delivered by people who don't know what they're talking about, of course) every time I want to watch a game.  Netflix is great.  Amazon Prime is great.  Hulu is great.  Video games are great.  My library is great.  There's a ton of other stuff I can do that WNT games have to compete against for my attention.  When they got preachy last time around, I just stuck with those other things.  Here, my viewership is actually pretty elastic with respect to league preachiness.   

The TLDR version of this is that it would be a mistake to assume that stunts like this don't affect viewership.  They probably do among sufficiently casual fans.

The ratings bear this out also.  People are home for the last year so more viewers.  Now some of the loss is streamers, but not all of it. 

I don't think casual baseball fans care where the All-Star game is (outside of some fans in GA).  For real, San Diego/St. Louis/Pittsburgh fans, they don't care.  

This move is was pretty swift by MLB, I think it clearly shows how out of bounds these laws are. 

I don't understand how cancel culture/woke and other liberal buzzwords are being used when it comes to access to free and fair elections.

Since when are conservatives against that??

44 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This is a great post, and about where I'm at with my own set of tiers.  In the case of MLB, I've always enjoyed them live more than on TV.  So I'll typically hit up a few Rockies games during the season.  This type of decision will drive me away from doing that, not because of the specific decision, but because of the political nature of it.  I just don't like politics with my sports, regardless of the specifics.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

As a whole, yes.  Do you think every player wanted to wear those messages?  LeBron didn’t.  He could get away with it, a fringe player would be bounced out of the league. 

Have no idea, I can’t speak for everyone. 

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Agree with this completely. 

32 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Plenty of NBA players didn't wear messages: https://theundefeated.com/features/social-justice-messages-each-nba-player-is-wearing-on-his-jersey/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Players are free to do what they want to do as long as its woke.

Drew Brees

• Thanks 1