What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Kellen Mond, Vikings (1 Viewer)

3nOut

Footballguy
Chris Simms released his QB rankings for this year's class:
https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/04/02/we-should-probably-be-paying-attention-to-chris-simms-draft-qb-rankings/ 

1. Zach Wilson, BYU
2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
3. Mac Jones, Alabama
4. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
5. Justin Fields, Ohio State
6. Trey Lance, North Dakota State

Simms has been pretty spot on in his analysis of QBs over the past several years. He surprisingly ranked Kellen Mond 4th above both Fields and Lance, saying that although he can be a little robotic, his mechanics are very solid. He only lost one game last year and that was to Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:
2021 NFL Draft: Five QBs who won't go in first round but should be on your radar, starting with Kellen Mond

Excerpt:

Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M 

We watched Mond over the summer and came away thinking that he could really sling it around the yard, had some athleticism but not enough to regularly scare NFL defenses as a legit running threat (think more Patrick Mahomes than Kyler Murray), and made a lot of questionable decisions in the passing game. He felt like a late Day 3 pick. 

Then we watched him in 2020 and we had a completely different perspective (his performance against Florida really got our attention). Yes, Mond is only 6-foot-2, and his hand size is only 9 1/4 inches, but neither was an issue during the season. What stood out, however, was how the ball exploded out of his hand, his ability to throw to all levels with touch, when needed, and accuracy, and how often he was able to squeeze the ball into tight windows, usually while putting it in a position where only his receiver had a chance to make a play. 

Mond also showed a knack for knowing where pressure was coming from and either calmly hitting his hot route or dumping the ball off to his running back. We saw this again and again and again. Isn't wasn't perfect; Mond sometimes gets caught up in hero ball and instead of taking the sack or throwing it away, he'll force a pass into double- or triple-coverage. His mistakes can also snowball; instead of making an adjustment early in the game after a miscue he'll exacerbate matters with more miscues (see the LSU game for a prime example). But those missteps were fewer and further between than what we saw in 2019 and that's the point -- does a quarterback show improvement over the course of a career, and if so, by how much? 

So what does this all mean for Mond's draft stock? For us, he looks like a Day 2 pick based on what we saw on tape in 2020, and as we sit here here's our QB2 after the Big Five above and Kyle Trask below (put another way, he's our QB7, but that doesn't sound nearly as dramatic). How much better can he get will be an important part of the discussion too; unlike Trask and Davis Mills and Jamie Newman, Mond's been a starter the last four seasons, so he's had plenty of reps. In that time, his completion percentage has improved each year and his yards per attempt, TD/INT ratio and passer rating were all career bests in '20.

Just posted this in 2021 NFL draft thread, had not seen this one, the tweet below was from yesterday.

@JimNagy_SB

All the talk on outside continues to be on the “big five” (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance) but there’s growing buzz inside the league on two QBs: Stanford’s Davis Mills and Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond. Both are seen as potential starters. Neither is getting out of Round 2.

Texas A&M senior QB Kellen Mond declared for the NFL Draft. 

Mond (6'3/217) sports a 31-13 record as a starter and is the second winningest quarterback in school history. His 93 touchdowns ties Johnny Manziel for the all-time school record and the senior signal caller is one of only three SEC QBs to throw for 9,000 yards and rush for 1,500 in their career. He completed 63 percent of his passes, averaged 7.7 yards per attempt and threw 19 touchdowns to three interceptions this season. Mond has the size and arm strength to intrigue NFL Scouts, however his composure and accuracy are question marks. CBS Sports ranks the Aggie signal caller as the 140th best prospect in the class. Mond is likely destined to be a middle round selection in the upcoming NFL Draft. 

SOURCE: Kellen Mond on Twitter

Jan 7, 2021, 11:47 AM ET

As an Aggie.. I would be shocked if this dude ever starts an NFL game.
More detail please...I saw him play a decent amount and never felt like I was watching a future NFL QB...good athlete, can make some plays but seemed far more suited for the college game then the pro game. 

More detail please...I saw him play a decent amount and never felt like I was watching a future NFL QB...good athlete, can make some plays but seemed far more suited for the college game then the pro game. 
He is like a bad Dak Prescott... he looks the part, he is an athlete.  He will make the crazy good throw once a game.  Then bounce a screen.  Those 3-4 throws per game where you quite literally have no idea who the target was.  In slow motion replay you can't figure out who he was throwing to.  The nerves in big games.

A case where statisitcs lie.. all season long on TV they put his numbers up alongside Tim Tebow, Dak, VY, Manziel.  I can only assume he played more games than those guys, because that is blasphemy.

eta - IMHO he was holding the team back and we will see what the team can do with a Fisher QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is like a bad Dak Prescott... he looks the part, he is an athlete.  He will make the crazy good throw once a game.  Then bounce a screen.  Those 3-4 throws per game where you quite literally have no idea who the target was.  In slow motion replay you can't figure out who he was throwing to.  The nerves in big games.

A case where statisitcs lie.. all season long on TV they put his numbers up alongside Tim Tebow, Dak, VY, Manziel.  I can only assume he played more games than those guys, because that is blasphemy.

eta - IMHO he was holding the team back and we will see what the team can do with a Fisher QB.
Thanks...you put into words what I saw...some people think the Pats could target him if they miss out on Jimmy G or the big 5 but I really don't want to see that.

matuski said:

Wow.   Thanks.  Supposedly the panthers staff really likes him.   

Boston said:
One of the most average qbs I have ever seen.   Never won a big game.  I don't think hes even worthy of being a backup.

Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond said that the New England Patriots have been in contact with him throughout the evaluating process.

The relationship between Mond and the Patriots started in earnest at the Senior Bowl, where team reps interviewed the signal-caller on his way to eventually being named game MVP. The 6-foot-3, 217-pound gunslinger indicated that he and Pats OC Josh McDaniels have been exchanging occasional texts throughout the process. If the Patriots are truly interested in Mond, he'll be in the Day 2 mix come the draft. New England has been widely speculated as a Day 1 player for quarterback at pick No. 15, but they are by no means locked into that one position. The team signed veteran Cam Newton to a one-year contract earlier this offseason, affording them the opportunity to develop a rookie such as Mond off the bench should they choose to move in that direction.

SOURCE: Boston Globe

Apr 8, 2021, 1:34 PM ET

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline does not believe Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond will be drafted in the first round.

There has been some speculation that a quarterback other than one of the Usual Suspects -- Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones -- could end up sneaking into the Day 1 fray late. The two signal-callers who have drawn favor as sleepers for the first round are Mond and Stanford's Davis Mills. And it's possible that a team does trade back into Round 1 for one of those quarterbacks, but there has been little indication that either Mond or Mills has legitimately crashed through the wall to Day 1 at this juncture. Pauline likes teams such as the Falcons, Eagles, Lions and Patriots as nice fits for Mond, who will require further development off the bench to start with. All of the team fits forwarded by Pauline come equipped with hold-me-over starters in Matt Ryan, Jalen Hurts, Jared Goff and Cam Newton.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 9, 2021, 12:11 PM ET

I have been seeing Mond getting more buzz and a couple of people / places have suggested that a team might trade into the late first or early second to take him. I also have seen him linked to NE when they invariably don’t trade a bunch of picks to move up in the draft.

That being said, I am wondering where the love is coming from. I can’t attest to whether the following is accurate, but I have seen that for passes of 20 yards or more, Mond had a 37% completion rate, passes of 10 yards he had a 44% completion rate, and passes past the line of scrimmage Mond was below 50%. Basically, last year he did most of his damage on screens and dump off passes. 

Which begs the question, what are some people seeing that is making him the #6 QB this year and why is he gaining ground on the other guys?

I have been seeing Mond getting more buzz and a couple of people / places have suggested that a team might trade into the late first or early second to take him. I also have seen him linked to NE when they invariably don’t trade a bunch of picks to move up in the draft.

That being said, I am wondering where the love is coming from. I can’t attest to whether the following is accurate, but I have seen that for passes of 20 yards or more, Mond had a 37% completion rate, passes of 10 yards he had a 44% completion rate, and passes past the line of scrimmage Mond was below 50%. Basically, last year he did most of his damage on screens and dump off passes. 

Which begs the question, what are some people seeing that is making him the #6 QB this year and why is he gaining ground on the other guys?
Chris Simms :)

SoBeDad said:
Simms has Mond ranked #4 ahead of Jones and Lance. The only thing I recall from his podcast is that the Jimbo Fisher offense was too predictable. And he showed something vs Alabama.
Yeah, I get that Simms is said to be The Quarterback Whisperer, but I have a hard time getting worked into a lather over a guy that couldn't complete 50% of his passes beyond the line of scrimmage last year (and potentially was worse his first three seasons when his overall completion percentage was lower).

Even with a good outing against Alabama, his career completion percentage against decent competition wasn't exactly stellar (39% vs LSU, 56% vs Florida, 57% vs Alabama, 57% vs Clemson, 59% vs Georgia). I haven't seen much of him play . . . are there whispers that his receivers had hands of stone and couldn't catch?

Yeah, I get it that Alabama was stocked with future NFL players . . . but Jones' completion percentage was 15 points higher over his collegiate career. Am I the only one wondering if a college QB with a completion percentage under 60% may have issues with accuracy in the NFL?

If NE can't move up to get Lance, does anyone really think they would spend their first on Mond?  It doesn't sound like a Belichick move.

JohnnyU said:
If NE can't move up to get Lance, does anyone really think they would spend their first on Mond?  It doesn't sound like a Belichick move.
Not even a remote possibility.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond could "sneak into" the first round. 

A four-year player and three-year starter, Mond had a strong SEC career, but he never really graduated beyond game-manager status. Pelissero reports teams are having a hard time moving beyond his "stiff and robotic" play despite a dual-threat skill-set. Pelissero's colleague Lance Zierlein does believe Mond "found greater confidence and rhythm as a passer" as a senior, as well as gaining a "noticeable" increase in pocket poise and accuracy. That may be true, but Mond has all the hallmarks of a Day 2 talent getting some late Day 1 buzz because people are bored with a week to go. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Apr 22, 2021, 3:38 PM ET

Not seeing the hype on Mond at all. Weak arm, middling accuracy, decent decision maker, and good mobility. 

Looks like an NFL backup to me. I'd probably have him at QB8 in this class.

travdogg said:
Not seeing the hype on Mond at all. Weak arm, middling accuracy, decent decision maker, and good mobility. 

Looks like an NFL backup to me. I'd probably have him at QB8 in this class.
Agree...saw him play a lot in college and never thought I was watching a future NFL starter...his style is more conducive to today's NFL but just don't think he is worthy of a first round pick...good developmental guy that could be a solid backup but not starter material.

Agree...saw him play a lot in college and never thought I was watching a future NFL starter...his style is more conducive to today's NFL but just don't think he is worthy of a first round pick...good developmental guy that could be a solid backup but not starter material.
I think we need to prepare for NE not to move up in the draft and either take BPA on defense at 15 or trade down to pick up an extra 2nd round pick. With one of those second round picks they might take someone in the Mond, Mills, Trask grouping. If I had to guess, CB or LB in the first, S and QB in the second. T would also be a consideration. And that would mean a full season of Newton this year.

The other option is they don't trade up, don't like the second tier guys and pass on them, and Plan B somehow is Garoppolo. But I still think SF keeps him (especially if they take Lance). Bottom line, I think whomever NE adds at QB may not be much better than Cam and wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade over him this season. The narrative of just-wait-and-see-Cam-will-be-WAYYYYY-better-this-year has already started coming out from the sports media. Maybe BB will surprise and make a bold move to jump ahead of other suitors for a QB, but I am beginning to think that probably won't happen. Maybe the Jordan Love story has some legs to it . . .

I think we need to prepare for NE not to move up in the draft and either take BPA on defense at 15 or trade down to pick up an extra 2nd round pick. With one of those second round picks they might take someone in the Mond, Mills, Trask grouping. If I had to guess, CB or LB in the first, S and QB in the second. T would also be a consideration. And that would mean a full season of Newton this year.

The other option is they don't trade up, don't like the second tier guys and pass on them, and Plan B somehow is Garoppolo. But I still think SF keeps him (especially if they take Lance). Bottom line, I think whomever NE adds at QB may not be much better than Cam and wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade over him this season. The narrative of just-wait-and-see-Cam-will-be-WAYYYYY-better-this-year has already started coming out from the sports media. Maybe BB will surprise and make a bold move to jump ahead of other suitors for a QB, but I am beginning to think that probably won't happen. Maybe the Jordan Love story has some legs to it . . .
As I say and will continue to say...if they don't upgrade from Cam the season has a ceiling and they are just kicking the can down the road...I think from a fan stand-point if Cam is the QB the blowback will be something we have not seen since BB came onboard, it will get ugly.

Vikings selected Virginia Tech QB Kellen Mond with the No. 66 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

Mond (6’3/211) was a four-star recruit and three-year starter under coach Jimbo Fisher. Overshadowed by a tough SEC schedule and poor receiver play, Mond delivered a mostly accurate ball to all levels of the field and largely avoided turnovers (19 TDs to 3 INTs as a senior). Mond isn’t an aggressive passer, but he throws a catchable ball, often leading his receivers away from contact. His senior year 7.7 YPA average, experience against NFL-level defensive schemes, and above-average physical traits give him a path to starts in the pros and provides him with a floor as a backup. Mond adds some juice as a rusher (35 rushing yards per game at Virginia Tech), although his lengthy build leaves him with just straight-line speed (4.64 forty) rather than power or wiggle. Mond, 21, has some intrigue as a Colin Kaepernick-level player. Thanks to his rushing potential, Mond would hold some fantasy intrigue if Kirk Cousins were to miss time in 2021. Cousins is under contract with Minnesota through the 2022 season. 

RELATED: 

Kirk Cousins

Apr 30, 2021, 9:40 PM ET

He's gone 3.03 and 3.06 in my 2 superflex drafts so fast. Him, Trask, and Mills are all going within a couple picks from what I've seen. 

Vikings signed third-round QB Kellen Mond to a four-year, $5.223 million contract.

He'll receive a $1.158 million signing bonus and count for $949,712 million against the 2021 salary cap. Overshadowed by a tough SEC schedule and poor receiver play, Mond (6’3/211) delivered a (mostly) accurate ball to all levels of the field and largely avoided turnovers (19 TDs:3 INTs as a senior). Mond isn’t an aggressive passer, but he throws a catchable ball, often leading his receivers away from contact. His senior year 7.7 YPA average, experience against NFL-level defensive schemes, and above-average physical traits give him a path to starts in the pros and provides him with a floor as a backup. He adds some juice as a rusher (35 rushing yards per game at Virginia Tech), although his lengthy build leaves him with just straight-line speed (4.64 forty) rather than power or wiggle. Thanks to that rushing potential, Mond would hold some fantasy intrigue if Kirk Cousins were to miss time in 2021.

SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

Jun 14, 2021, 5:51 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread