What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recording youth basketball games - help a novice out (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
Looking to record grandsons 7th grade basketball games and looking for advice

available options in the home

Nexus phone with monopod

Canon Powershot with tripod

ipad

Thanks

Are you looking simply to record for playback later, or to livestream games while recording so other friends/family can watch?

Asking because here in California we're still pretty restricted on how many people they let into the gyms (for those that follow the guidelines), so for my 10 year old, we played most of the past season with no parents in the gym except one per team that was allowed to record/stream the game.

If livestreaming, I would think the phone or iPad is the better option.

If just recording, I would guess the Powershot is probably the best camera of the three, it just depends on how you will be positioned and how much you will need to move the camera to keep up with the action - ie will you have a place to set the tripod up and be able to see the entire court without moving the camera, or is it closer quarters where more likely you'll want the monopod so you can swivel with the action?

Looking to record grandsons 7th grade basketball games and looking for advice

available options in the home

Nexus phone with monopod

Canon Powershot with tripod

ipad

Thanks
Are you guys on HUDL in 7th grade?  If so, I would use any iPad you already have mounted on a tripod of any kind.  The film will quality will be fine and you will probably find it easier to import/upload into HUDL or whatever you use. If you are only wanting it to save as personal use, you might not care about that. 

If the 7th grade team is a school team, you could contact the varsity coach about using their HUDL account or whatever they use. Almost every varsity team is using something to store and watch film. Just make a 7th grade folder. The advantage would be once you record and import, anyone can go watch your grandsons games if you give the info. You also only need 1 person doing it for the whole team. 

Are you looking to pan back and forth all game, or looking to just capture the full floor and set-forget it? 

If youre going to manually pan to follow the action (much better quality IMO), then you'll want a tripod, not a monopod. Monopod will inevitably get annoying to have to hold upright. Tripod can stand on it's own and will provide consistent shot framing all game. 

My suggestion would personally be to use a cell phone (assuming you have enough space for the video) with a tripod like this. The handle will make for MUCH smoother panning, and the clamp style mount for the phone allows you to still touch the screen to start/stop video. 

Ipad is unnecessarily large/bulky with no advantage on video quality over the Nexus. The larger screen quality is not needed.. you can see plenty on the phone's screen to frame the shot. It's not like you'll be zooming in for tight ESPN level shots. You're just trying to get ~half the court in the shot. 

Thanks for the replies - I thought this thread died a lonely death.

Personal replay is the top choice although it would be great to share online through hudl or other method.

I can likely get a single game on my phone - not sure what to do when we have a tourney.

Thanks for the replies - I thought this thread died a lonely death.

Personal replay is the top choice although it would be great to share online through hudl or other method.

I can likely get a single game on my phone - not sure what to do when we have a tourney.
Be careful of how you use video/images of other people's kids...

Users who are viewing this thread