What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump just being smart (1 Viewer)

Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald J. Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell said, “like it was a scam.”

“Bandits!” said Victor Amelino, a 78-year-old Californian, who made a $990 online donation to Mr. Trump in early September via WinRed. It recurred seven more times — adding up to almost $8,000. “I’m retired. I can’t afford to pay all that damn money.”

I’m confused on why these people were refunded? Did the Trump campaign lie and say it was only going to be an one time donation or did his supporters just not fully read that the donation would be recurring every week? From what I’m reading, it seems more like the latter to me despite them trying to hide it a bit in the fine print. Of course it was a complete scum move by Trump’s team but at the same time, if they mentioned the payment would be recurring... maybe the people should have actually read what they were donating for and not make stupid financial decisions? 

Last edited by a moderator:
“Bandits!” said Victor Amelino, a 78-year-old Californian, who made a $990 online donation to Mr. Trump in early September via WinRed. It recurred seven more times — adding up to almost $8,000. “I’m retired. I can’t afford to pay all that damn money.”
That's alright. If Trump was elected his Social Security money was going away anyways.

Just remember, Trump and the GOP are always looking out for the little guy.

But for some Trump supporters like Ron Wilson, WinRed is a scam artist. Mr. Wilson, an 87-year-old retiree in Illinois, made a series of small contributions last fall that he thought would add up to about $200; by December, federal records show, WinRed and Mr. Trump’s committees had withdrawn more than 70 separate donations from Mr. Wilson worth roughly $2,300.

“Predatory!” Mr. Wilson said of WinRed. Like multiple other donors interviewed, though, he held Mr. Trump himself blameless, telling The Times, “I’m 100 percent loyal to Donald Trump.”
It's a cult.

“The recurring donations swelled Mr. Trump’s treasury in September and October, just as his finances were deteriorating. He was then able to use tens of millions of dollars he raised after the election, under the guise of fighting his unfounded fraud claims, to help cover the refunds he owed.

In effect, the money that Mr. Trump eventually had to refund amounted to an interest-free loan from unwitting supporters at the most important juncture of the 2020 race.”

“Mr. Trump’s hyperaggressive fund-raising practices did not stop once he lost the election. His campaign continued the weekly withdrawals through prechecked boxes all the way through Dec. 14 as he raised tens of millions of dollars for his new political action committee, Save America.”

Super scummy, but on brand. 

That appears to be an unusual defense of predatory practices.  

But, I suppose those Trump supporters who were defrauded, had it coming.  Its not the campaign's fault, that the donors did not scrutinize the donation.
It reminds me of the weasels in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. When a particular weasel was getting "bopped" or whatever that weasel was angry however the rest of the weasels laughed at the misfortune of one of their own. 

The man's and his family's entire life is built on scamming people.  I just can't understand how someone who so clearly doesn't care about anyone but himself has such cultish followers (not all his followers so I don't get banned for a year).  

I guess in a way all cult leaders are like that.  Most other cult leaders are smarter though....

Bucsfan5493 said:
I’m confused on why these people were refunded? Did the Trump campaign lie and say it was only going to be an one time donation or did his supporters just not fully read that the donation would be recurring every week? From what I’m reading, it seems more like the latter to me despite them trying to hide it a bit in the fine print. Of course it was a complete scum move by Trump’s team but at the same time, if they mentioned the payment would be recurring... maybe the people should have actually read what they were donating for and not make stupid financial decisions? 
The easy explanation without getting into minutiae is that there are money movement rail rules that they violated.  You basically have to have positive consent for any recurring transfers (caveat being different rails have different rules, but in the abstract that is true and something like ACH only this month put in rules around it).  Point being they didn’t meet any of the rail rules, so anyone contesting de facto wins.  

just saying that you PROBABLY shouldn't be saying this considering what we've seen from the Obama, Clinton and AOC supporters.  I mean, c'mon man.
Oh for sure, the cult-like behavior isn’t just limited to Trump supporters, just seem to be a larger segment of the base and IMO it’s been obvious even long before he entered politics that Trump was a con artist.

The easy explanation without getting into minutiae is that there are money movement rail rules that they violated.  You basically have to have positive consent for any recurring transfers (caveat being different rails have different rules, but in the abstract that is true and something like ACH only this month put in rules around it).  Point being they didn’t meet any of the rail rules, so anyone contesting de facto wins.  
That positive consent only covers debit or direct from bank, but not debit or CC, right?

That positive consent only covers debit or direct from bank, but not debit or CC, right?
CC I don’t 100% know about, but those are easily contestable anyway without much effort from the consumer.  Debit and ACH have historically required positive consent for each transaction which is why they don’t really contemplate recurring transactions.  The consumer’s bank can basically decide if the evidence submitted to them (from in this case WinRed) proves consent, so the consumer wins the vast majority of those as well.  

Bucsfan5493 said:
The article also mentioned that Biden's campaign returned like ~$5mm in the same timeframe.  That is less than a tenth of Trump, but still more than I expected. Campaigns must have a permissive refund policy :shrug:

He loves the uneducated
I'm going to give you the chance to explain your comment here.  What does this mean? Are you saying that the left doesn't love the uneducated?

You now have the opportunity to dig your hole deeper.  Please proceed.

I'm going to give you the chance to explain your comment here.  What does this mean? Are you saying that the left doesn't love the uneducated?

Yes, please get the quote correct. He said he loves the "poorly educated." Quite a big difference having no education, and just having a poor one.

The article also mentioned that Biden's campaign returned like ~$5mm in the same timeframe.  That is less than a tenth of Trump, but still more than I expected. Campaigns must have a permissive refund policy :shrug:
It’s not a refund policy.  When you go to your bank to claim the transaction was unauthorized, the party that took the money has to prove to your bank that you granted them authorization to do so.  If they can’t, their bank has to give the money back.  

Trump and the RNC basically decided to take people’s money and hope they don’t contest with their bank.  

It’s not a refund policy.  When you go to your bank to claim the transaction was unauthorized, the party that took the money has to prove to your bank that you granted them authorization to do so.  If they can’t, their bank has to give the money back.  

Trump and the RNC basically decided to take people’s money and hope they don’t contest with their bank.  
Interesting, I should've known that.

Coming from the guy that refused to back his comments up just yesterday.  Hilarious.

Hey you got to admire the commitment - they are so devoted to the GOP and Trump that they would rather have money stolen from them than admit the guy was and is a total clown who had no business being President.  That takes willpower.

Hey you got to admire the commitment - they are so devoted to the GOP and Trump that they would rather have money stolen from them than admit the guy was and is a total clown who had no business being President.  That takes willpower.
I won’t be surprised if some enterprising AD goes after them for fraud.  This isn’t the end of the story.  

He loves the uneducated

The Democratic Party had generations to try to help and welcome and support poor white rural Christian America. But they didn't. And of late, it appears with identity politics, that will never happen.

Whether or not anyone agrees with Trump, he did carry a voice for poor white rural Christian America that many in those communities felt were never truly heard. They are still American citizens and they needed the help of society at large and they were left to perish. You would like to believe these communities followed Trump because there's something wrong fundamentally wrong with them ( i.e they are too ignorant to know better, hence "uneducated") I believe they were willing to be open to anyone who was the first to actually listen to them.

I recognize a large number of FBG members are college educated liberal white males working white collar jobs with earning power above the average American worker. Many reside in big cities. Do some of you realize how entitled and tone deaf and elitist you can come across to those who don't share your demographics?

Poor white rural Christian America sent many of it's sons to Omaha Beach. And what would have happened if Germany and Japan had won the war? Your daughters would be enslaved and gang raped and cast into brothels. Your sons would be slave labor and used as cannon fodder for organ harvesting and medical experimentation. But you might not have kids, since you might have been forcibly sterilized. And had your tongue cut out for not passing the right type of loyalty test. You'd watch your churches burned and your school teachers executed in front of you.

It's easy to label those different from you as Morlocks, But it's damn hard to just listen.

Did the Democratic Party actually take the time to listen to poor white rural Christian America?

It's a lot easier to see others as actual human beings and actual American citizens when you realize it's not all just about you.

Now we know why he wanted to keep donations away from the Republican party and why he didn't want them to use his likeness.  He is the wad of gum that is on the bottom of your shoe and you can't get it all off.  He is no different than the scumbag religion-for-profit people like Joel Osteen.  Then again, the only surprise is no one took Trump out in the 80's after screwing anyone and everyone in shady business dealings.  The only one I feel remotely sorry for is the kid Barron.

This is true.  Also. the Biden refunds described in the article were likely not due to donor complaints but rather to comply with the law. It’s illegal for foreign nationals or government contractors to make donations and there are limits on how much any individual gives per election cycle.  If a person donates illegally or excessively, the campaign has to refund the money by law.  That happens to every candidate.  This Trump stuff is a whole different animal.

Users who are viewing this thread