What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boycott the Masters? (1 Viewer)

NorvilleBarnes

Footballguy
Keith Olbermann wants people to boycott the Masters in "Confederate Georgia". Claims calling it the "Masters" in a former slave state is no coincidence. Calls GA voting laws "American Apartheid". LINK

If you support MLB move of the All Star Game, do you also support this?

Last edited by a moderator:
We should boycott and cancel anyone who has played in that as well.       Olberman is an idiot...too think I liked him on Sportscenter.   

Seems Augusta National was created by a racist and has been a racist organization until very recently who is a worthy target when its state legislature enacts racist laws. Much more worthy of a target than Coca Cola or Home Depot who are large multinationals who only care as much as it affects business.

In 2003, they pulled all their ads as corporate sponsors were pulling their support as they were no women members in the club.  Did not hear of them doing that again.

Keith Olbermann wants people to boycott the Masters in "Confederate Georgia". Claims calling it the "Masters" in a former slave state is no coincidence. Calls GA voting laws "American Apartheid". LINK

If you support MLB move of the All Star Game, do you also support this?
I support if people want to boycott they can.  I wont.  I also would not have boycotted the all star game any more than I already do.

Last attempt to boycott the Masters wound up with Augusta National telling people yo bite them, they will air it without commercials.  That was awesome.

The members there are probably Kemp’s biggest donors. If a player wants to skip it though, that would be perfectly appropriate. 

I’m so sick of this crap.  Politics infused in every square inch of life.  We are at each other’s throats like it’s life or death, when in reality we’ve all never had it so good.  I just want it all to stop.

I don’t think most people care that much.
Of course not and there has always been sports tied up with politics. It was just easier to avoid before because there were so few media outlets. Now we have tons of media and social media so we need content. Every voice gets heard now. 

Seems Augusta National was created by a racist and has been a racist organization until very recently who is a worthy target when its state legislature enacts racist laws. Much more worthy of a target than Coca Cola or Home Depot who are large multinationals who only care as much as it affects business.
You could say the exact same about the Democratic Party.  

ekbeats said:
I’m so sick of this crap.  Politics infused in every square inch of life.  We are at each other’s throats like it’s life or death, when in reality we’ve all never had it so good.  I just want it all to stop.
By design. 

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
Just to piss you guys off even more I’m going to call it a “kidcott” because I don’t like my cotts to be gendered.
Gaetz might have laid the trademark on that one.  

Terminalxylem said:
I’m in favor of anything which reduces golf’s popularity. 
Why??   It is relaxing to watch with all the ball flight speed and distance charts now. I just started golfing 2 years ago and love the sport.  Just wish I was better.  Plus with COVID the game is booming and growing.

Just to piss you guys off even more I’m going to call it a “kidcott” because I don’t like my cotts to be gendered.
The origin of the term had nothing to do with boy or boys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott#:~:text=The word boycott entered the,Irish Land League in 1880.

The word boycott entered the English language during the Irish "Land War" and derives from Captain Charles Boycott, the land agent of an absentee landlord, Lord Erne, who lived in Lough Mask House, near Ballinrobe in County Mayo, Ireland, who was subject to social ostracism organized by the Irish Land League in 1880.

Better be careful.  Next thing you know Fox News will take your quote and come up with the headlines "Cancel Culture lefties now want to change the word boycott into kidcott".  

I just watched the video of Olberman and he does not seem in good health.  I thought he was 75-80 as he always acts like a bitter, grumpy old geezer..but I looked and he is only 62.

ekbeats said:
I was optimistic the presidential admin change would help with this. Probably too early to tell. 

I was optimistic the presidential admin change would help with this. Probably too early to tell. 
I was as well but so far seems the exact same.  I just wish people would stop acting so angry and mad all the time.  In my day to day life people are not this way.

It’s not to early, it’s not changing.

The first quasi controversial thing and Pres Biden outright lied about it and has no interest in correcting the lie...only to exacerbate it by implying the new Georgia law is worse than Jim Crow.

Were you honestly expecting something different?

Me too.  Biden’s been more cantankerous and polarizing than I would like.  Not helpful when you call people who have a policy disagreement “Neanderthals”.  That tends to polarize things even further.

It’s not to early, it’s not changing.

The first quasi controversial thing and Pres Biden outright lied about it and has no interest in correcting the lie...only to exacerbate it by implying the new Georgia law is worse than Jim Crow.

Were you honestly expecting something different?
Given how embarassingly divisive and childish Trump was and the enabling of such sentiments in the public/social sphere of life, yes I thought things would improve. 

For those of you who are sick of this, there’s an easy way out: get rid of the law. 
There’s no pattern here, there’s no “wokeness”. Only one terrible law which many, including myself, see as racist and Jim Crow like. Get rid of it and the MLB and Masters and all the rest will be fine. Just scrap it. 

Users who are viewing this thread