What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grand Funk Song of the Week Thread (1 Viewer)

American Band update: Sweet, sweet Connie no longer has an act. A mechanical bull accident in '86 compromised her spinal integrity and she is now working as a sample table in the Westerville OH Costco, and that's a nachul fact. And the four chiquitas down in Omaha recently used their 65+ vaccine eligibility as an excuse for a haphazard reunion at the Council Bluffs Elks hall. Surprisingly, baking for AA meetings and Masked Singer are all their favorite hobbies.

American Band update: Sweet, sweet Connie no longer has an act. A mechanical bull accident in '86 compromised her spinal integrity and she is now working as a sample table in the Westerville OH Costco, and that's a nachul fact. And the four chiquitas down in Omaha recently used their 65+ vaccine eligibility as an excuse for a haphazard reunion at the Council Bluffs Elks hall. Surprisingly, baking for AA meetings and Masked Singer are all their favorite hobbies.
... They did WHAT to Helen Hayes?!!

time is such a cruel, cruel mistress (aka Mean Mistreater) 

Back before Nirvana and sheer self-consciousness had killed the idea of being in a "band" as something worthy of grandeur and mythology, and before the advent of second wave feminism, this must have been cool and easy to get laid to unironically. After those two things, though, it's sort of a mere curio and a nigh impossible feat to pull off unless she's thoroughly convinced you've hurtled past the third wave. Thou shalt have no false idols before self-introspection and puritanical impulses, don'cha know.

But the bass line is cool, I guess.

This came up in my algorithm for some reason. Sort of fitting given the last paragraph. Must be the season of the witch.

:lmao: Oh, Christmas.

rock - you have lost me with your last couple of posts.  

could you step me through it? - big Canned Heat fan.  
Sure, Binky. I was saying that the concept of being in a band as something larger-than-life -- as touring troubadours and vagabonds with attendant groupies and bacchanalia -- is impossible now and doesn't happen anymore because being in an aggrandized "band" is no longer possible. Nirvana was the first huge "band" to be self-conscious about not being a mythological entity that they sort of undermined the whole concept that bands were mythological or larger-than-life. Add that to modern feminism's (second wave feminism is the era of the early-to-mid 70s) rejection of certain attitudes towards women, and the groupie element of the "band" and their travel is dead, too. It was sort of a lament, what I was posting. Grand Funk existed when you could still drink, ####, and fight. 

The second post was just cracking up at what wikkid posted.

The third post, about the RISD thing, was because around the beginning of the 21st century, we saw a lot of blues revival, alternative folk, and radio-friendly bluegrass coming from not what we would consider poor Americans, but out of art students or music students from design schools (or practitioners that incorporated heavy elements of design and art into their primal blues or bluegrass. A perfect example is the White Stripes). Bands like Mumford and Sons, Black Keys, the aforementioned White Stripes, Kings of Leon, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros were all from this school of thought. Each incorporated the primal and simple elements of Americana into their music while updating it with a heavy emphasis on theory and art. Trying to keep as Americana as they could while making it a bit highbrow, if you will. Because they had no socioeconomic or political authenticity to offer, they offered theory, musical and artistic. 

Canned Heat was very similar to these bands. Their main link to the blues was a white suburbanite, Alan Wilson, nicknamed "The Blind Owl," who came from a well-heeled upbringing in Arlington, MA (right next to Lexington and Concord, two notoriously wealthy areas of Massachusetts) and was a blues purist. He cut his teeth in Cambridge, Massachusetts (Harvard area) coffeehouses doing folk and blues. He eventually found the old and rediscovered bluesman Son House in an attempt to get him to record his stuff for posterity. Son House, impressed by Wilson and a record company offer in tow, went into a recording studio to finally record his stuff around 1965 or so. Wilson then moved to LA to help a friend finish a master's thesis and wound up forming Canned Heat. The rest is history. His tenor is similar to other old blues practitioners, and he was really one of the driving forces behind the new band, who weren't exactly poor kids doing the blues. They remind me a lot of the RISD kids that did bluegrass and stuff like that, heavy on authentic-leaning stuff, but with a different flair to it. I also dig Canned Heat, although I haven't been into them too long or listened to them too much, especially when Wilson sings. 

Hope that makes more sense now.

So it was really free association on my end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, Binky. I was saying that the concept of being in a band as something larger-than-life -- as touring troubadours and vagabonds with attendant groupies and bacchanalia -- is impossible now and doesn't happen anymore because being in an aggrandized "band" is no longer possible. Nirvana was the first huge "band" to be self-conscious about not being a mythological entity that they sort of undermined the whole concept that bands were mythological or larger-than-life. Add that to modern feminism's (second wave feminism is the era of the early-to-mid 70s) rejection of certain attitudes towards women, and the groupie element of the "band" and their travel is dead, too. It was sort of a lament, what I was posting. Grand Funk existed when you could still drink, ####, and fight. 

The second post was just cracking up at what wikkid posted.

The third post, about the RISD thing, was because around the beginning of the 21st century, we saw a lot of blues revival, alternative folk, and radio-friendly bluegrass coming from not what we would consider poor Americans, but out of art students or music students from design schools (or practitioners that incorporated heavy elements of design and art into their primal blues or bluegrass. A perfect example is the White Stripes). Bands like Mumford and Sons, Black Keys, the aforementioned White Stripes, Kings of Leon, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros were all from this school of thought. Each incorporated the primal and simple elements of Americana into their music while updating it with a heavy emphasis on theory and art. Trying to keep as Americana as they could while making it a bit highbrow, if you will. Because they had no socioeconomic or political authenticity to offer, they offered theory, musical and artistic. 

Canned Heat was very similar to these bands. Their main link to the blues was a white suburbanite, Alan Wilson, nicknamed "The Blind Owl," who came from a well-heeled upbringing in Arlington, MA (right next to Lexington and Concord, two notoriously wealthy areas of Massachusetts) and was a blues purist. He cut his teeth in Cambridge, Massachusetts (Harvard area) coffeehouses doing folk and blues. He eventually found the old and rediscovered bluesman Son House in an attempt to get him to record his stuff for posterity. Son House, impressed by Wilson and a record company offer in tow, went into a recording studio to finally record his stuff around 1965 or so. Wilson then moved to LA to help a friend finish a master's thesis and wound up forming Canned Heat. The rest is history. His tenor is similar to other old blues practitioners, and he was really one of the driving forces behind the new band, who weren't exactly poor kids doing the blues. They remind me a lot of the RISD kids that did bluegrass and stuff like that, heavy on authentic-leaning stuff, but with a different flair to it. I also dig Canned Heat, although I haven't been into them too long or listened to them too much, especially when Wilson sings. 

Hope that makes more sense now.

So it was really free association on my end.
my old boss (who an NDA does not allow me to name) is the Wilson friend who actually went down to the delta and found House for Wilson to school enough in whitefolk ways to make him a going concern and was his mgr for the rest of his life. what my boss realized is, when he booked Son House in colleges, he got the same audiences (and, therefore, the same dough) as with counterculture bands, at 1/10 of the cost (basically, whiskey & poontang). he therefore hurryupped and signed John Hurt and a bunch of others, turning Boston/Cambridge into a blues hub which attracted a migration of white purists including Bonnie Raitt, who he signed a coupla yrs before he hired young wikkid to handle his festival production (which the disrespectful young punk turned into becoming a fixer for the freaks for fun & profit until he tried to poach another female client). and the Circle Game, it goes round & round.

Users who are viewing this thread