What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moderna vs. Pfizer Vaccines - Which is better? (1 Viewer)

Klimtology

Footballguy
I just got my first Moderna shot, but I was hoping for a Pfizer.

Questions:

Are they both comparable in terms of efficacy? Side Effects?

TIA

They are practically the same thing. Pfizer is generally scheduled a week sooner for 2nd shot. That is about the only reason I would prefer it. 

High-level, my understanding is the Moderna has a higher dosage of the "antibodies" (may not be the right word for what is actually in the vaccine), and that's why 1 - there's a longer time between doses, and 2 - Why sometimes it seems to have more severe side-effects than the Pfizer one.  

Given even one round of either Pifzer/Moderna seems to have beneficial effects, I think the variability of effectiveness of either one vs. the other is far smaller than the variability of how Covid seems to impact individuals across the age/health spectrum.  I.e. you have more to worry about how COVID would impact you than how the vaccines are different should you oddly manage to get it while vaccinated (or in the vaccination process)

I just got my first Moderna shot, but I was hoping for a Pfizer.

Questions:

Are they both comparable in terms of efficacy? Side Effects?

TIA
Both of them, and the J&J, are close to 100% effective against hospitalization and death.

Moderna seems to have a slightly lower incidence of minor side effects (aches, fevers, etc).

Pfizer's full protection is 7 days after the second shot and you get the 2nd shot three weeks after the first (so 28 days between first shot and full protection).  Moderna's full protection is 14 days after the 2nd shot and you get the 2nd shot four weeks after the first (so 42 days between 1st shot and max protection).

BOTH of them provide very significant protection against infection with a single shot! (though the 2nd shot adds significant value)

The advice seems to be pretty consistent that the first shot you can get is the best shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Pfizer. No side effects, just a slightly sore injection site that lasted just one day. Have a few friends that got the Moderna shot and they had varying levels of sickness.  Upset stomach, headaches, chills, extreme tiredness.  Said it lasted a couple of days.  My daughter is a teacher and her school got the Moderna.  Didn't have sickness but her arm had a weird red circle around the injection site (several inches in diameter like the size of an apple), irritation.  It turned into a bruise type area in terms of color.  Said it hurt, but it could be an outlier.  

I wouldn't be against getting either vaccine but sort of glad I got the Pfizer. 

I got the Pfizer #1 a couple of weeks (#2 scheduled for next week).

I actually had a pretty rough time the day after getting my shot.  Very sore around the injection site and general soreness and stiffness throughout my whole body.  I was also very tired and light-headed throughout the day (but no fever).  I was able to do my desk job, but any physical labor or exercise was out of the question.  All I wanted to do when I got home from work was lay down.  But the next day I was back to 100%.

I also had tested positive back in December and had some mild (similar to above) symptoms for 2-3 days but with fever and chills.  Not sure if that had anything to do with my experience or not.  I'm a little apprehensive about what symptoms I may get after the second shot.

The one thing I've read consistently about any of the vaccines is that your risk of side-effects is worse if you previously had COVID, and that the 2nd shot is typically worse than the 1st if you haven't...But again, your results may vary - it's a generalization.  My parents just got their 2nd shot, and didn't have many issues besides 12 hours of fatigue.

I am going to split the difference and get the Moderna first shot and Pfizer second shot.  It seems the Moderna is worse on your for the second shot but the Pfizer is worse for the first shot.  So bam.....get the best of both worlds...ha

I am going to split the difference and get the Moderna first shot and Pfizer second shot.
Speculation:

Someone -- if it already hasn't happened -- is going to get exactly this, either on purpose or by accident. And we'll learn that there's no trouble whatsoever in doing so, and it works pretty much the same way.

I also think before long (call it about a year from now) that one-and-done Moderna and Pfizer COVID vaccines will be available. The two-shot scheme is something they stumbled upon by accident during trials ... being able to get it done with one dose was always the plan.

I am going to split the difference and get the Moderna first shot and Pfizer second shot.
Speculation:

Someone -- if it already hasn't happened -- is going to get exactly this, either on purpose or by accident. And we'll learn that there's no trouble whatsoever in doing so, and it works pretty much the same way.

I also think before long (call it about a year from now) that one-and-done Moderna and Pfizer COVID vaccines will be available. The two-shot scheme is something they stumbled upon by accident during trials ... being able to get it done with one dose was always the plan.

Got both my Moderna shots.  Also no side effects other than soreness.  Barely noticeable with the first, a little worse with the second, but it wasn't bad either.  Played golf later the same day.  

Speculation:

I was reading that they are doing tests for this now mixing up the shots to see what the effects are.

Both of them, and the J&J, are close to 100% effective against hospitalization and death.

Moderna seems to have a slightly lower incidence of minor side effects (aches, fevers, etc).

Pfizer's full protection is 7 days after the second shot and you get the 2nd shot three weeks after the first (so 28 days between first shot and full protection).  Moderna's full protection is 14 days after the 2nd shot and you get the 2nd shot four weeks after the first (so 42 days between 1st shot and max protection).

BOTH of them provide very significant protection against infection with a single shot! (though the 2nd shot adds significant value)

The advice seems to be pretty consistent that the first shot you can get is the best shot.

I wanted moderna because the first dose efficacy was better at 92%, but the end points are pretty much identical. 
Just thought I'd add here that from what I understand and have read, these vaccines are VERY similar. 

The fact that Pfizer's 2nd shot is a week earlier is just based on how they constructed their studies, and less about an advantage in the efficacy of the vaccine... just like Moderna's first shot protection likely has more to do with the shot schedule / timeline of the study than a true advantage over Pfizer. 

In the end I'd wager they both are similarly effective and if Moderna used Pfizer's dozing schedule or vice versa the numbers would be similar. 

Just thought I'd add here that from what I understand and have read, these vaccines are VERY similar. 

The fact that Pfizer's 2nd shot is a week earlier is just based on how they constructed their studies, and less about an advantage in the efficacy of the vaccine... just like Moderna's first shot protection likely has more to do with the shot schedule / timeline of the study than a true advantage over Pfizer. 

In the end I'd wager they both are similarly effective and if Moderna used Pfizer's dozing schedule or vice versa the numbers would be similar. 
Sounds like something a Moderna punk would say.

:gang2:  team Pfizer FTW

It's funny that nobody seems to mention that all vaccines have multiple manufacturers, and you never know which one you'll get.  Here are the different annual flu shots you might end up with this year:

ManufacturerTotal Number of Lots Released by FDA

Afluria Quadrivalent
Seqirus Pty. Ltd.71

Fluad
Seqirus, Inc.1

Fluad Quadrivalent
Seqirus, Inc.19

Fluarix Quadrivalent
GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals47

Flublok Quadrivalent
Protein Sciences Corporation94

Flucelvax Quadrivalent
Seqirus, Inc.65

FluLaval Quadrivalent
ID Biomedical Corporation of Quebec41

FluMist Quadrivalent
MedImmune, LLC16

Fluzone High Dose Quadrivalent
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc44

Fluzone Quadrivalent
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.37

I saw something saying that comparing Covid vaccine brands is just a water cooler chitchat thing, like talking about the weather or your bracket... sounds about right.

I thought and have anecdotally heard the opposite?  Was pretty sick for a day after shot #1, not looking forward to #2 which I've heard can be worse.
Same here after the 1st

No side effects after the 2nd

Supposedly this means it’s likely I’ve had the virus at some pt before the vax

Everyone I know that got sick after the 2nd had no side effects after the 1st

teammoderna btw 

Same here after the 1st

No side effects after the 2nd

Supposedly this means it’s likely I’ve had the virus at some pt before the vax

Everyone I know that got sick after the 2nd had no side effects after the 1st

teammoderna btw 
Sweet!  I hope that is the case.

But I do know someone that got sick from both. 

I got Pfizer. No side effects after the 1st shot. 2nd shot.... 

I took off work the day after my 2nd shot cuz of side effects I heard about from anecdotal stories from people I know and Internet people. Well.... No side effects that day. Just a little tired. Nothing major. So... Go back to work the next day. Whoa.... I was a little tired when I woke up. No biggie. Get to work. Doing my thing. Go to lunch at noon. Eating. And all of a sudden, my whole day started slipping away. I started getting loopy. Foggy. My boss had to drive me home at 1. Slept for 4 hours. 

Largely agree, with a few clarifications:

The mRNA vaccines are similar efficacy, and all three prevent hospitalizations and death.

Moderna has a higher frequency of non-minor side effects, and slightly more SE overall than Pfizer.

J&J is a single shot, and less effective at preventing severe disease than the other two.

Moderna.  No side effects except soreness at injections point (2nd was a bit more sore and for longer - But that was it.)

Same as Hov34: 2nd Moderna shot yesterday afternoon, and no issues (through noon the next day now) other than some soreness at the injection point.

I had pretty bad fatigue and got the chills about 12-13 hours after each of my moderna doses. By the next day I was good to go both times though. 

Has anyone had/heard of the "Janssen" vaccine? I'm getting mine tomorrow and they provided Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen fact sheets so I assume I'll get whatever they have on hand. 

NM....I see that's the J&J one

Has anyone had/heard of the "Janssen" vaccine? I'm getting mine tomorrow and they provided Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen fact sheets so I assume I'll get whatever they have on hand. 

NM....I see that's the J&J one
Idiot....  :)

I did the same thing at first

Getting J&J on Friday.  Was first available and the one shot deal sounds great to me.  The fact that they all have at or near 100% prevention of hospital/death is good enough for me.  

Got the Pfizer and have been giving mainly Moderna with some J&J lately.

For high risk people I suggest Moderna or Pfizer. Everyone else, get whatever you can.

As far as giving the doses I’d rank them J&J > Moderna > Pfizer

Users who are viewing this thread