What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moderna vs. Pfizer Vaccines - Which is better? (1 Viewer)

strykerpks said:
Got Moderna #1 today. That's what they offered :shrug:  
Slight soreness in the arm night 1 but that was it. Slept like a baby though. May 6 is shot #2 so we'll see if anything changes. Otherwise no other complications. Tested negative about 5 times since January

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
I was under the impression that the reported effectiveness of the J&J vaccine was impacted by when it was in testing -- where variants were a large proportion of the infections in the test.  Meaning that if Pfizer and Moderna had been tested against the variants instead of the initial strain their results might look more like J&J's.  Is that not right?
Kinda, but it’s complicated. The efficacy data were collected throughout the Americas and South Africa, and they certainly contained some cases with newer variants, which likely weren’t included in the Pfizer/Moderna trials. But if the results were restricted to participants in the US, it was only 72% protective of moderate/severe covid-19. None of the concerning variants were thought to be prevalent in the US when the J & J data was collected. Moreover, it appears both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are effective at preventing infection with the variants - though most of this research is still preliminary.

Additionally, the hospitalization numbers in J & J’s data are suspect IMO. As I stated upthread, many of the criteria they list for moderate disease would land you in a US hospital, as would pretty much all the severe signs/symptoms. But hospitals in resource limited settings are far less likely to hospitalize people for any condition, unless they are critically ill. I confirmed this phenomenon occurs in South America, as I have friend who is a hospital physician in the US, but grew up in Ecuador. So the vaccine preventing almost all hospitalizations should be interpreted cautiously.

I stand by my original commentary, and prefer ~95% efficacy at covid prevention/spread from the mRNA vaccines to what the J&J vaccination offers. But to be fair, the only way to truly know how they compare would be a head-to-head trial with all three vaccines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting J&J on Friday.  Was first available and the one shot deal sounds great to me.  The fact that they all have at or near 100% prevention of hospital/death is good enough for me.  
I got J&J Thursday at 6 PM.  At 3 AM I woke up feelings like I was sleeping on a bed of ice. Had severe chills for 4 hours, then on a dime I switched to being on fire.  My fever got up to 101.8 (97.4 usual temp). Felt nauseous, headache, body ache, fatigue.  Managed to go back to sleep and by 6 PM, I was pretty much ok besides still being tired. I did not (to my knowledge) previously have COVID.

I got the shot in my arm where my shoulder is already jacked up so I really didn't notice a difference in the soreness in my arm.  Would definitely do again, worth it.

I got J&J Thursday at 6 PM.  At 3 AM I woke up feelings like I was sleeping on a bed of ice. Had severe chills for 4 hours, then on a dime I switched to being on fire.  My fever got up to 101.8 (97.4 usual temp). Felt nauseous, headache, body ache, fatigue.  Managed to go back to sleep and by 6 PM, I was pretty much ok besides still being tired. I did not (to my knowledge) previously have COVID.

I got the shot in my arm where my shoulder is already jacked up so I really didn't notice a difference in the soreness in my arm.  Would definitely do again, worth it.
Daughter got the J&J Friday and had almost these exact side effects yesterday.  Was feeling much better today.

Corporation said:

I've had pretty much no reaction outside of tiredness now 48 hours after injection.  Guess I'm lucky.

My seasonal allergies have been going haywire since the shot, but I figure that's either coincidence or the fact that my immune system is probably on overdrive right now.  

Getting my 2nd Moderna shot this week. Super small sample size but my wife felt awful after 2nd Moderna. Like a bad flu for about 24 hours and then completely fine. I've heard same thing from several other Moderna people. We'll see how mine goes. 

Neither my wife nor I had any trouble at all after first Moderna shot other than slightly sore arm. 

Getting my 2nd Moderna shot this week. Super small sample size but my wife felt awful after 2nd Moderna. Like a bad flu for about 24 hours and then completely fine. I've heard same thing from several other Moderna people. We'll see how mine goes. 

Neither my wife nor I had any trouble at all after first Moderna shot other than slightly sore arm. 
I was the same as your wife. My sister was the same, too. 

My wife only had a sore arm.

Wife and I get our 2nd Moderna on Monday.   Hopefully will go as smooth as the 1st but ready to accept feeling crappy for a day to get the improved protection.

I had my 2nd Moderna shot Monday around 11 am,  and about 12 hours later around 11 pm aches, chills, and a fever set in. It started subsiding yesterday afternoon, and I feel fine today. I felt no side effects from my first Moderna shot. My BIL also got his second Moderna on Monday morning, and he too started feeling yucky later that night and into yesterday.  Having a day of feeling bad is no big deal. I'm glad to be vaccinated.

I had my 2nd Moderna shot Monday around 11 am,  and about 12 hours later around 11 pm aches, chills, and a fever set in. It started subsiding yesterday afternoon, and I feel fine today. I felt no side effects from my first Moderna shot. My BIL also got his second Moderna on Monday morning, and he too started feeling yucky later that night and into yesterday.  Having a day of feeling bad is no big deal. I'm glad to be vaccinated.
got my 2nd Moderna shot Sunday afternoon, and was pretty much wiped out with similar symptoms the second half of Monday. Come Tuesday morning things were pretty much back to normal though.  My arm is still sore though - lol

Sweet!  I hope that is the case.

But I do know someone that got sick from both. 
:hey:

I went home early yesterday after my 2nd vaccine shot on Monday.  I was weak and had a headache during the day (but it was easily treated with ibuprofen).

I worked the day after shot #1, but I was feeling it all day from lightheadedness to general soreness and fatigue.

Neither one kept me from doing what I needed to do, but I wasn't 100% the day after either of my doses.

I did have the virus back in December and I've heard that can play a part in your post-vaccine experience.

I've had pretty much no reaction outside of tiredness now 48 hours after injection.  Guess I'm lucky.

My seasonal allergies have been going haywire since the shot, but I figure that's either coincidence or the fact that my immune system is probably on overdrive right now.  
My sinuses acted up the second day after the first shot. Could have been a coincidence.

Fun story...

By way of background, here in TX counties are by and large organizing distribution of the vaccines.  Any TX resident who is eligible for the vaccine (anyone over 16 at this point, I think) can sign up on any or many wait lists and go to the first available appointment.  You don't have to be a resident of the county distributing the shots in order to receive them there.

So I sign up for and receive my first shot of Pfizer (#teampfizer Woot! Woot!) in the next town over, sponsored by my county.  I go in just a few days, maybe a week, before I'm scheduled for cardiac bypass surgery, with my surgeon's blessing.  Schedule dose #2 for 3 weeks later, per protocol.

Surgery goes very well, and 3 weeks later I'm a couple of days out of the hospital and my second dose appointment is coming up.  We're hearing all these potential side effects, and although every day is markedly better than the day before, I still had my sternum sawed in two and feel like I've been hit by a truck every time I sneeze.  I'm still sleeping on the recliner, I'm still popping Norco at night.  No big deal, but the doc says (reasonably imo) to hold off on dose #2.  So I cancel, figuring there's a window and I can just reschedule again once the doc clears me for dose #2 in a few weeks.

Fast forward another couple of weeks, and I go to schedule dose #2.  It turns out that the distribution center where I got the vaccine stopped using Pfizer and switched to Moderna (boo! hiss!).  In fact, the original date that my second dose was scheduled was the very last day that they were distributing Pfizer.  So they suggest I go to one of the other counties or distribution centers offering the Pfizer vaccine for dose #2.  See online portal, yadda yadda yadda.

I call 3 different places around me that have Pfizer, and they all tell me that unless I got dose #1 with them, their protocol is to not allow me to schedule dose #2 with them.  So I go back to the phone number of the original distribution center, who tells me that they've been hearing that from others, and they are just telling them to lie and say that they're signing up for dose #1.  She's a city employee - she (a) is not a medical professional but assures me that the second dose is identical in every way to the first, and (b) has no phone numbers at the county, CDC, or anywhere else that can help me.  Sorry, good luck.

I am able to confirm that this municipal employee can be trusted on this particular medical point, and both google and my cousin the physician are able to validate that, yes, the second dose is indeed identical in every way to the first dose. So, I lie and get the first (shh! actually second) dose from a different distribution center near me.

The only problem is that I now have two vaccination cards that both say I've been given dose #1.  So in the future, if I have to prove to anyone that I'm fully vaccinated, I have to convince them that this is equivalent to getting both doses.  I assume that, if society devolves into a dystopian hellscape, I will be relegated to the underground resistance as a result.

But at least I'll have a cool code name like "The Scorpion", and a plasma rail gun.

tl;dr:  both doses are the same.  Lying to the authorities for fun and profit. 

Fun story...

By way of background, here in TX counties are by and large organizing distribution of the vaccines.  Any TX resident who is eligible for the vaccine (anyone over 16 at this point, I think) can sign up on any or many wait lists and go to the first available appointment.  You don't have to be a resident of the county distributing the shots in order to receive them there.

So I sign up for and receive my first shot of Pfizer (#teampfizer Woot! Woot!) in the next town over, sponsored by my county.  I go in just a few days, maybe a week, before I'm scheduled for cardiac bypass surgery, with my surgeon's blessing.  Schedule dose #2 for 3 weeks later, per protocol.

Surgery goes very well, and 3 weeks later I'm a couple of days out of the hospital and my second dose appointment is coming up.  We're hearing all these potential side effects, and although every day is markedly better than the day before, I still had my sternum sawed in two and feel like I've been hit by a truck every time I sneeze.  I'm still sleeping on the recliner, I'm still popping Norco at night.  No big deal, but the doc says (reasonably imo) to hold off on dose #2.  So I cancel, figuring there's a window and I can just reschedule again once the doc clears me for dose #2 in a few weeks.

Fast forward another couple of weeks, and I go to schedule dose #2.  It turns out that the distribution center where I got the vaccine stopped using Pfizer and switched to Moderna (boo! hiss!).  In fact, the original date that my second dose was scheduled was the very last day that they were distributing Pfizer.  So they suggest I go to one of the other counties or distribution centers offering the Pfizer vaccine for dose #2.  See online portal, yadda yadda yadda.

I call 3 different places around me that have Pfizer, and they all tell me that unless I got dose #1 with them, their protocol is to not allow me to schedule dose #2 with them.  So I go back to the phone number of the original distribution center, who tells me that they've been hearing that from others, and they are just telling them to lie and say that they're signing up for dose #1.  She's a city employee - she (a) is not a medical professional but assures me that the second dose is identical in every way to the first, and (b) has no phone numbers at the county, CDC, or anywhere else that can help me.  Sorry, good luck.

I am able to confirm that this municipal employee can be trusted on this particular medical point, and both google and my cousin the physician are able to validate that, yes, the second dose is indeed identical in every way to the first dose. So, I lie and get the first (shh! actually second) dose from a different distribution center near me.

The only problem is that I now have two vaccination cards that both say I've been given dose #1.  So in the future, if I have to prove to anyone that I'm fully vaccinated, I have to convince them that this is equivalent to getting both doses.  I assume that, if society devolves into a dystopian hellscape, I will be relegated to the underground resistance as a result.

But at least I'll have a cool code name like "The Scorpion", and a plasma rail gun.

Good that you immortalized it on the forum too  :thumbup:

You've made every list known to man and should probably cease to exist in a few weeks.

Seriously, if it does come down to vaccine cards to do stuff, I think you are mega screwed.

Apparently you can mix and match, who knew?

https://www.wmur.com/article/lempster-new-hampshire-man-wrong-covid-vaccine-dose/36135354#

Psychopav said:
Fun story...

You know you can write on the vax card, right? Copy down the exact info of first dose from Card #2 into second dose slot on Card #1. I'm sure some people are abusing that fact, but seems within the bounds of what is right to me. 

Psychopav said:
Fun story...

glad you made it through the bypass brohan take that to the bank

I had COVID early in early February, just 3 weeks before I was scheduled for the vaccine.  Doc told me to wait a couple weeks before getting it.  Got Pfizer dose #1 April 3rd.  I experienced some headaches that would come and go over the next two days, nothing debilitating.  I was a little more tired than normal, but essentially went about my normal business on the days following the that first shot.  I am one week away from shot #2...

You know you can write on the vax card, right? Copy down the exact info of first dose from Card #2 into second dose slot on Card #1. I'm sure some people are abusing that fact, but seems within the bounds of what is right to me. 
Yep, this is my plan of attack. I have the date, I have the batch number, so why not?

Users who are viewing this thread