What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Carolina Panthers: Owner Hires the Next Panthers Future Ex-Coach (1 Viewer)

Jayrok said:
Cutting Will Grier leaves a thin QB room with 2 young guys. It would be nice to have a veteran backup to help Darnold.  Don't see them inviting Cam to town but if the $ is right...

Also a thin RB room.  Only 3 guys?  Does that mean CMC will not get as much rest as first thought?  Or will Chuba be in a solid rotation?  

I wouldn't mind them signing Wayne Gallman to add solid veteran depth to the group.  
I think the QB thing is a feature, not a bug. They cleared the decks for Darnold. If he fails, they’re drafting the franchise guy next year.

No point in failing and the backup drags them to 7-10 and they’re picking 16th. 

If he fails, the higher picks are also worth more on the trade market. 

I think he means that if McCaffrey misses playing time that Freeman could step in and present himself as a solid facsimile of a starting NFL running back, as Mike Davis did in 2020.
Gotcha, that was worded a bit weird.  Yeah I can see that problem is Chubba is on the roster now and the staff likes him.  Not sure who the true handcuff should be to cmac

I think he means that if McCaffrey misses playing time that Freeman could step in and present himself as a solid facsimile of a starting NFL running back, as Mike Davis did in 2020.
Sort of, but more that Carolina’s backfield is pretty settled and then they claim an interesting back off waivers. Davis was a surprising waiver by the Bears, and a bunch of fantasy owners speculated on him hoping he’d land in Detroit or wherever and get a shot, and Carolina claimed him. 

Similarities with Freeman … that’s all I meant. 

Initial 53-man roster:

QB: Sam Darnold, PJ Walker (Will Grier cut)

OL: Cam Erving, Pat Elflein, Matt Paradis, John Miller, Taylor Moton, Trent Scott, Dennis Daley, Deonte Brown, Brady Christensen

WR: DJ Moore, Robby Anderson, Terrace Marshall Jr, David Moore, Brandon Zylstra, Shi Smith

TE: Dan Arnold, Ian Thomas, Tommy Tremble, Colin Thompson, Giovanni Ricci

RB: Christian McCaffrey, Chuba Hubbard, Trenton Cannon (only 3?)

DL: Brian Burns, DaQuan Jones, Derrick Brown, Morgan Fox, Marquis Haynes, Yetur Gross-Matos, Darryl Johnson, Bravvion Roy, Daviyon Nixon, Phil Hoskins

LB: Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Haason Reddick, Frankie Luvu, Julian Stanford, Clay Johnston

CB: Jaycee Horn, Donte Jackson, Keith Taylor, Stantley Thomas-Oliver III (AJ Bouye suspended for 2 weeks)

S: Jeremy Chinn, Juston Burris, Sam Franklin, Myles Hartsfield, Sean Chandler

K: Ryan Santoso

P: Joseph Charlton (LS: JJ Jansen)

9 OL and 5 TEs...does not compute.

Nice debut for Darnold.  This defense is fast and Derrick Brown is a bad man.  Christian being Christian even though he didn't reach the end zone.  

If Thompson hadn't intercepted that ball, JC Horn would have had his first NFL pick... looked like he was right there ready for the ball.  Great play by Shaq. 

Good win and reason to have some optimism going forward.  

Signed Zane Gonzalez as next attempt to find a viable kicker.  

By releasing the other guy, we get our 7th round pick back from the Giants. So there's that.

2-0 start.  Not bad at all.  Saints had a few defenders out but none of those guys play on the offense, which the Panthers shut down pretty good.  

JC Horn gets his first NFL INT.  Just missed another on the previous series.  The defensive front is fast and Burns is becoming one of the best edge rushers in the league.  So quick.  

Excellent game by Darnold, save for the one silly INT where he tried to force it.  He was on target with most of his throws and made some good decisions.  Give him protection and he's going to be a good QB. 

Not NFC contenders yet but on the right track in building a quality team, imo.  

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Jayrok said:
2-0 start.  Not bad at all.  Saints had a few defenders out but none of those guys play on the offense, which the Panthers shut down pretty good.  

JC Horn gets his first NFL INT.  Just missed another on the previous series.  The defensive front is fast and Burns is becoming one of the best edge rushers in the league.  So quick.  

Excellent game by Darnold, save for the one silly INT where he tried to force it.  He was on target with most of his throws and made some good decisions.  Give him protection and he's going to be a good QB. 

Not NFC contenders yet but on the right track in building a quality team, imo.  

Great win.  Didn't expect that.

Good win but costly with CMC and Horn.  Both seemed to be non-contact injuries. Christian has had some tough luck the last couple of years. 

Horn broken foot. That really sucks. 

Darnold looking good. Throws a nice ball, accurate. And has some speed. Can see them working more plays for Tremble.

Speaking of Tremble, he's now the youngest TE in NFL history to score on a running play... breaking the record set by Rob Gronkowski.  Fun fact.

3-0 not bad.

Having a longer season gives some hope that CMC and Horn may be able to return. 3-0 is a great start regardless of the circumstances (playing 2 really bad teams and NO without their coaching staff).

Last edited by a moderator:
I moaned and groaned over the summer about the team’s approach to rebuilding - especially passing on Fields at 8. I’m glad to have been wrong so far. We’ll see how McCaffrey’s health holds up, and hopefully Horn heals up well. I’m still not totally sold on Darnold being a long term answer but he’s played a lot better than I thought he would and he showed real guts against HOU, standing in against pressure on several second half throws. The big thing to me is that the rebuild looks ahead of schedule, whatever this year ultimately brings. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I moaned and groaned over the summer about the team’s approach to rebuilding - especially passing on Fields at 8. I’m glad to have been wrong so far. We’ll see how McCaffrey’s health holds up, and hopefully Horn heals up well. I’m still not totally sold on Darnold being a long term answer but he’s played a lot better than I thought he would and he showed real guts against HOU, standing in against pressure on several second half throws. The big thing to me is that the rebuild looks ahead of schedule, whatever this year ultimately brings. 

I feel the same way about Sam.  He's been very good so far, just not sure he can lead a team through the playoffs.  But I'm glad he's on our team right now and if he continues to grow under Brady's system, he has a chance to become a leader that will erase all doubts. 

Rhule's approach to build the team starting heavily with the defense in the 2019 draft has been successful so far. Hope we can hit on some picks if/when he focuses on the offense... particularly the OL.  There's reason for excitement/optimism in Carolina, imo. 

• Smile
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1442487952668430345?s=21

“Trade! The #Panthers are closing in on a trade for CB CJ Henderson, sources say.

The details: CAR TE Dan Arnold and a third-round pick to the #Jaguars for the former Jax first-round pick Henderson and a fifth-rounder. Immediate help in Carolina, while Henderson starts new.”

sad there’s no more Darnold to D.Arnold connection. Thought Dan Arnold was a good fit for CAR.

Questions: 

1. Who’s the new move TE in CAR?

2. What impact on other receivers? More for Robby, Marshall & D.J.?

3. Does this move to JAX kill D.Arnold’s FF value? 

“Trade! The #Panthers are closing in on a trade for CB CJ Henderson, sources say.

The details: CAR TE Dan Arnold and a third-round pick to the #Jaguars for the former Jax first-round pick Henderson and a fifth-rounder. Immediate help in Carolina, while Henderson starts new.”

sad there’s no more Darnold to D.Arnold connection. Thought Dan Arnold was a good fit for CAR.

Questions: 

1. Who’s the new move TE in CAR?

2. What impact on other receivers? More for Robby, Marshall & D.J.?

3. Does this move to JAX kill D.Arnold’s FF value? 

Can't say I've watched Henderson closely, but grabbing a player who has only played 10 games since being the #9 overall pick seems like a great move. Bump Tremble. 

Questions: 

1. Who’s the new move TE in CAR?   Probably Tommy Tremble

2. What impact on other receivers? More for Robby, Marshall & D.J.?  Maybe more passes to DJ Moore  😀 (I've seen people complain that Darnold only has eyes for DJ).  

3. Does this move to JAX kill D.Arnold’s FF value?  The Jags lost O'Shaugnessy for a bit to a high ankle sprain, and he got a lot of targets (8) in the first game. He got hurt in the 2nd game. Arnold is probably taking his place, but I don't know what will happen when O'Shaugnessy is healthy. 

If they can motivate and coach up Henderson, it's a good trade.  Don't mind losing Arnold, though I like him a lot.  Time will tell but if Henderson live up to his pre-draft potential, could turn out great.  Tremble's role in the offense just expanded I'm guessing.

Darnold, a talented high pick, is now in a better situation and showing signs of why he was drafted in the top 10. 

Henderson, another talented high pick, is now in a better situation and will, hopefully, start showing signs of why he was drafted in the top 10. 

Like Darnold, a change of scenery may be just what he needed.  And if he does play well, he just adds another nice CB on this defense once Horn returns.  

Field Yates

The Panthers will inherit the remaining three years of CB CJ Henderson’s deal, which pays him as follows:

2021: $1.285M

2022: $2.475M

2023: $3.407M

If Henderson holds up and plays like the prospect that landed him in the top 10 of the draft, that’s a strong value for Carolina.

Good showing this week.  Couple of lapses here and there in decision-making but Darnold played well overall, imo.  He's faster than I thought and was able to scramble out of the pocket for first downs effectively. Pass rush caught up with him in the second half.  

Wasn't Rhule's best game in terms of managing time outs in the second half.  

Shaq Thompson is playing LB at an elite level right now.  Chuba and Freeman played well. 

DJ is fantastic. 3-1, let's go! 

Cheap acquisition.  Excellent if he can get back on the field and play near his old self.  Eligible to return off IR week 7.  Veteran help for a solid defense and will help take pressure off of CJ Henderson during his development.

I bet the Bucs are mad today.  Shows that Tepper, GM and Rhule are actively trying to improve.  

Welcome home (close to home), Stephon!  

Tough game to watch there.  Did someone switch our Sam with the one that played in NY?

Someone must've told Darnold to start throwing to Robby Anderson after weeks of chemistry with DJ. So now he's trying to force the ball to Anderson.  Though Robby should have had that first down catch.  

When you're playing a running/mobile QB, someone might need to account for him on the zone read.  Should not have lost that game. 

I imagine Sam's honeymoon is over... 5 picks in last 2 games.

Panthers tried to sign Jaylon Smith before he signed with Packers

Would have been a good addition and another indication the front office wants to win now.  It would be nice if we looked at the offensive side of the ball at, say, offensive line.  Trade deadline approaching, wonder if a move is made.

Wanting to win now is great but not sure we can win now with Sam Darnold.  Upgrading the OL to help protect is a step in the right direction but can he lead the team through a playoff run?  Not sure.

Wonder if Tepper still has any feelings to go after Watson.

3-0 to 3-3. Lots of dropped passes but Sam was bad this week. Turnovers are killer.  Does he have command of the huddle?  Anderson looked like he didn't want to be out there. DJ didn't seem focused.  

Darnold reminds me a little of Derek Carr.  He frustrates his fanbase for much of the game and then makes a few plays that make people think that, maybe... maybe we have something here that can grow into an offense that can compete against anyone.  

A rollercoaster ride with a talented but limited QB who, unfortunately, seems to repeat poor decisions.  Before you know it, you are 5 years into the ride and still haven't won a playoff game.  

3-0 to 3-3. Lots of dropped passes but Sam was bad this week. Turnovers are killer.  Does he have command of the huddle?  Anderson looked like he didn't want to be out there. DJ didn't seem focused.  

Darnold reminds me a little of Derek Carr.  He frustrates his fanbase for much of the game and then makes a few plays that make people think that, maybe... maybe we have something here that can grow into an offense that can compete against anyone.  

A rollercoaster ride with a talented but limited QB who, unfortunately, seems to repeat poor decisions.  Before you know it, you are 5 years into the ride and still haven't won a playoff game.  
There were A LOT of dropped passes. Most were right where they should be. I think there was one that was a little behind Anderson but more at his body then really behind him. And one that was a little to far ahead of Chuba but he still should have had it with no issue. 

Agree in general, though. I think you stop at 2 years, or even 1.5, before you give up on him. Although if you have a chance to get a QB you like in the first round next year, it's a pick that should be made. 

There were A LOT of dropped passes. Most were right where they should be. I think there was one that was a little behind Anderson but more at his body then really behind him. And one that was a little to far ahead of Chuba but he still should have had it with no issue. 

Agree in general, though. I think you stop at 2 years, or even 1.5, before you give up on him. Although if you have a chance to get a QB you like in the first round next year, it's a pick that should be made. 
Yeah there were a lot of dropped passes.  I'm not saying bail on Darnold right now or at the end of his first year.  Just saying, and I agree with you, that if there were an opportunity to get a franchise QB I say go for it.  

It won't happen (more like my wishful thinking) but if a cleared D. Watson was this team's QB, they'd be instant contenders in the NFC.  We need OL help but he's used to playing with a subpar OL.  I feel like Darnold would be an excellent backup QB.  Just don't see him leading a team to the SB.  

Yeah, I was watching the Draft and really annoyed when Justin Fields dropped like he did. I get why the Panthers didn't draft him after getting Darnold but I would certainly had preferred that result. 

Yeah, I was watching the Draft and really annoyed when Justin Fields dropped like he did. I get why the Panthers didn't draft him after getting Darnold but I would certainly had preferred that result. 
Granted it early but he has looked pretty bad as of yet.   

Oof.  Horrible performance.  Darnold would make a fine backup.  Offense has no leader. Defense losing confidence having to be on the field the entire game.  With Sam it's "good throw... nice drive, alright... oh no... that's a bad decision... where are you throwing the ball?!"  

We don't have a QB that makes the opposing team (or the viewer) think "oh crap, we gave him too much time... or oh crap, I hope we can hold them."  

Team is too good to lose by that score to the Giants.  Just a poor effort.

Good performance this week.  Sam with a nice job of game management... nothing flashy, no mistakes.  Solid running game and excellent defense.

If you want to keep your QB on the field it might be a good idea to limit his designed runs.  That was a massive collision.

Stephon Gilmore with a pick to seal the win in his first start.  Ameer Abdullah is another nice addition to the backfield.  Welcome!  

Geez...Darnold is regressing.  Maybe the worst QB in the league.

Terribly inconsistent.  Two decent passes, a nice run... then terrible decisions, terrible throws.  He could be a decent backup but no way does he lead any team through a playoff run if they were even to get there.  This season is shaping up for another top 10 pick.  

Is the coaching staff over its head?  Particularly Brady. No matter what he calls the defense is all over it.  OL is bad, yes, but it was almost as if NE knew the playbook and what was being called regardless of formation.  

The offensive coaches were thoroughly out-coached yesterday in all phases.  Totally dominated.

Will be good to see Cam back in a Panther uniform. Wonder if we can reach out to Deangelo Williams, Jonathon Stewart... Luke and Thomas Davis.  Jake Delhomme could come in and compete with Cam and PJ for the keys to the offense.

Olsen, Steve Smith, Moose... Biakabutuka!  Bring em all back.  Except Jimmy Clausen.  

• Smile
uh guys.....WTF is going on up there?!?!?!?!  I know I've been absent, but I don't get to see much or hear much about the Panthers down here but I DID see this.  Good Lord..what is going on!

I'm excited that Cam is back. He will be on the run behind the horrible OL, but he is still quite mobile. I'm not counting on the Panthers making the playoffs (although it would be cool), but I think it will be fun having Cam back for the rest of the season. I hope he does well. It is something extra to cheer about.

The Commish said:
uh guys.....WTF is going on up there?!?!?!?!  I know I've been absent, but I don't get to see much or hear much about the Panthers down here but I DID see this.  Good Lord..what is going on!

I think it is mostly fan service. There are a lot of fans in Charlotte that have seemed much more a fan of Cam than the team since he was released and the stadiums have been more full of opposing fans. Tepper throwing money at issues he created.

I think Cam looked washed years ago, so I am less than optimistic. Seems like a pure upside play though.

I think it is mostly fan service. There are a lot of fans in Charlotte that have seemed much more a fan of Cam than the team since he was released and the stadiums have been more full of opposing fans. Tepper throwing money at issues he created.

I think Cam looked washed years ago, so I am less than optimistic. Seems like a pure upside play though.

He sucks and helps you get a better draft pick or he kicks rear and you make the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread