What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Carolina Panthers: Owner Hires the Next Panthers Future Ex-Coach (1 Viewer)

So Sam Darnold is the new QB.  Did we settle? Is he just another piece to a larger trade coming up?  

Is he an upgrade over Bridgewater?  I'm not sure.

I read that the Panthers were the only suitor for Darnold. If that's true maybe they could have gotten him after the draft.  The good news is they didn't give up too much to get him.  We keep the #8 pick.  Wish we didn't lose the 2nd and 4th in 2022, but we'll see how he pans out.  

I hope he excels but I'm concerned that by this time next year we will have wished they would have kept the draft picks and went with Bridgewater another year. Time will tell. I was hoping we'd have Deshaun Watson by now but... oh well.  

Draft time.  Thoughts on the #8 pick?  

If Sam is the new QB and no more moves for QB is in the works, I'd like to see:

1. Kyle Pitts - Maybe the best weapon that can line up anywhere on the field.  Certain mismatch for LBs.  

2. Patrick Surtain - Best CB in the draft.

3. Penei Sewell - Best OT in the draft.  Might as well protect Sam as much as possible.  

4. One of the WR (Ja'Marr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith). 

Or if one of the QBs slip (Trey Lance), do you grab him?  I'm leery of Lance, Mac Jones and J. Fields. 

If they decide to trade back for future picks... maybe a Jaycee Horn (CB) will be available.  

1. Kyle Pitts - Maybe the best weapon that can line up anywhere on the field.  Certain mismatch for LBs.  

3. Penei Sewell - Best OT in the draft.  Might as well protect Sam as much as possible.  

Or if one of the QBs slip (Trey Lance), do you grab him?  I'm leery of Lance, Mac Jones and J. Fields. 

If they decide to trade back for future picks... maybe a Jaycee Horn (CB) will be available.  
Surtain and Sewell are the surest bets if they stay put at #8. 

Sewell, Slater then Surtain

We have to build the line and Slater should be there

I really liked Darnold coming out of college.  Between his getting mono and the ####show that is the NYJ, he never really had a chance in NY.  I think he is going to be a very good QB.  He can make all the throws and has a very good attitude.  I'm pulling for the kid.  I think Panther fans are going to be happy as he develops.

I really liked Darnold coming out of college.  Between his getting mono and the ####show that is the NYJ, he never really had a chance in NY.  I think he is going to be a very good QB.  He can make all the throws and has a very good attitude.  I'm pulling for the kid.  I think Panther fans are going to be happy as he develops.
Weird injuries, terrible coaching, terrible oline, terrible weapons and thrown straight to the wolves at the age of 20 from the jump with no acclimation period.

So many variables against him.  He will be fine in Carolina

Thanks for starting a new thread.  Apparently I ran the old one into the ground and chased off all the Panther fans.
It wasn't run into the ground.  We did seem to lose some Panther fans, not sure why that is... or just the posting frequency slowed down.  Haven't heard from NCCommish in a long time.  Hope he is doing well.  

It wasn't run into the ground.  We did seem to lose some Panther fans, not sure why that is... or just the posting frequency slowed down.  Haven't heard from NCCommish in a long time.  Hope he is doing well.  
This board in general is dripping dry.  I think Joe is handing out 6 month bans in lieu of his new "be nice" mentality.  It is what it is

Link

The Panthers now have the following 1st rounders from the past 4 drafts:

2017, C. McCaffrey, 1.8

2017, Haason Reddick, 1.13

2018, Sam Darnold, 1.3

2018, D.J. Moore, 1.24

2019, Brian Burns, 1.16

2020, Derrick Brown, 1.7
Ok

If they keep the 8th pick, I still lean to getting one of the two OT.  Give Darnold a chance and some protection.  If not OT then Pitts if there, but we need offensive line help.

If defense, Surtain.  

If they trade back for picks, hopefully they can get someone like J. Horn later in the 1st.  

One interesting scenario I heard was them trading the 8th to NE for a pick package to include Stephon Gilmore. Doubt NE would do that but who knows?  Gilmore is up for extension soon and his price will certainly go up.  Heard he was only making 7M per.  Not sure the Panthers would go for it.  He's still one of the best CBs in the league.  

Just don't see them drafting a QB with Darnold... but having two young QBs to compete (or the rookie sit a year or two) might not be a bad thing, if one of them pans out. Not sure who I like better, Lance or Fields.  

If they stick with the 8th and select the OT, that will be a fine start.  

There was a ton of discussion about Darnold in his individual player thread. If things play out like they have for other early draft picks on their second team, the chances of him being successful are pretty slim. However, it's been said that CAR had been trying for months to land Darnold, so they seem like they really wanted him. If they plan on him being "their guy," it might make sense to move down in the draft if there is a QB needy team chomping at the bit to move up (if there is a QB still available at their pick). More than likely, there would still be a top talent at WR / OT / LB / CB / DE on the board if they move down (if that is what they are looking for).

If they keep the 8th pick, I still lean to getting one of the two OT.  Give Darnold a chance and some protection.  If not OT then Pitts if there, but we need offensive line help.

If defense, Surtain.  

If they trade back for picks, hopefully they can get someone like J. Horn later in the 1st.  

One interesting scenario I heard was them trading the 8th to NE for a pick package to include Stephon Gilmore. Doubt NE would do that but who knows?  Gilmore is up for extension soon and his price will certainly go up.  Heard he was only making 7M per.  Not sure the Panthers would go for it.  He's still one of the best CBs in the league.  

Just don't see them drafting a QB with Darnold... but having two young QBs to compete (or the rookie sit a year or two) might not be a bad thing, if one of them pans out. Not sure who I like better, Lance or Fields.  

If they stick with the 8th and select the OT, that will be a fine start.  
This 

I have tried to find one for this year and there hasn't been a lot of chatter in here by their fan base but a lot is happening. 

Latest news is Teddy Bridgewater has been dealt. They have acquired Sam Darnold for a 2nd, 4th and a 6th. 

They have been linked to many trade rumors and I really have no idea how they went from 3-4-5 spots away from one of the Top QB prospects to changing out one journeyman for someone else's trash. Now Darnold could end up not being trash but so far he doesn't look very good. 

There has been a ton of chatter on Bridgewater and Darnold on their individual player threads. Both are on the first and second page. 

But since you started a new thread, CAR apparently doesn’t think Darnold is trash and he’s been a target for them for a long time. He’s basically still close in age to the rookies but comes with three years NFL experience. So the Panthers are looking at it that they are getting a seasoned guy that was a top rated recruit and a #3 pick.

That’s the feel could perspective, other opinions will vary. I am more skeptical. But it looks like they won’t be taking a QB in the draft now and could potentially  move back for someone looking to move up. 

I think Carolina has had maybe the worst offseason of any team. In my opinion, they threw away a 2 on a bum QB who is getting way too much leeway because of Gase, but is likely a downgrade from Teddy, who himself was a downgrade from Newton. They look worse at WR, OL, and DB, and unless pretty much their entire 2020 rookie class takes big steps forward, this looks like a team ready to contend for the #1 pick in 2022. Denzel Perryman was probably their only good move, and he's really only been a part-time player to date.

There has been a ton of chatter on Bridgewater and Darnold on their individual player threads. Both are on the first and second page. 

But since you started a new thread, CAR apparently doesn’t think Darnold is trash and he’s been a target for them for a long time. He’s basically still close in age to the rookies but comes with three years NFL experience. So the Panthers are looking at it that they are getting a seasoned guy that was a top rated recruit and a #3 pick.

That’s the feel could perspective, other opinions will vary. I am more skeptical. But it looks like they won’t be taking a QB in the draft now and could potentially  move back for someone looking to move up. 
Maybe, but it made a lot more sense to me when they took a chance on Darnold and had a decent backup option with Teddy B.  Trading him away is a mistake IMO. Even if I'm not a fan.

That trade was dumb.  We should have either kept him and waited to see what happens tonight.   We traded him and we are paying his salary.  Say what now?  A 6th isnt anything.  I am just praying the front office doesnt try and get cute tonight.  Just pick a damn LT at 8 and be done with it. 

I'm thinking Fields.
I think Fields would be a very solid move, but what are the odds they don't trade down for some haul from a team like Chi or NE?  

I think Rhule & Tepper are bigger gamblers then Riverboat Ron was and will take a deal down. 

I think Fields would be a very solid move, but what are the odds they don't trade down for some haul from a team like Chi or NE?  

I think Rhule & Tepper are bigger gamblers then Riverboat Ron was and will take a deal down. 
I'm ok with a trade down but they won't get the type of haul that Miami got from SF.  Most of the talk is about NE moving up but I can see Chicago moving up and offering more than NE for one of the QBs.  If Lance and/or Fields is available at 8, it puts the Panthers in a nice position.  Could get very interesting tonight. 

It seems hard to see a scenario where they botch this pick.  If they can trade for a good pick package, great.  If the QBs are gone before 8... lots of talent on the board to choose from.  Pick of the litter at OT, CB, TE, LB.

Teddy traded to Denver for a sixth round pick this year, number 191 overall.  

Bridgewater, who signed a three-year, $63 million deal with the Panthers before last season, threw for 3,733 yards in 2020, with 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. By renegotiating the final two years of Bridgewater's deal, the Panthers will save $6 million in 2021 and $26 million in 2022, a source told ESPN's David Newton.

Jaycee Horn. Good pick but thought it would be Slater there.

Defense is improving.  Day one starter.

I'm high on Fields and not too sold on Darnold finding a second life. I hope I'm wrong on one or both things. But I'm disappointed they passed on Fields. 

Horn is a very solid pick at an important position. So my concern is less about taking him and more about passing on Fields.

Jaycee Horn. Good pick but thought it would be Slater there.

Defense is improving.  Day one starter.
I'm a big Gamecock fan and have watched all his college snaps as a result. He has the athleticism to be a top CB, but I really question the drive and discipline. He had awful coaching at the college level so.....I really hope I'm wrong on him.

I'm a big Gamecock fan and have watched all his college snaps as a result. He has the athleticism to be a top CB, but I really question the drive and discipline. He had awful coaching at the college level so.....I really hope I'm wrong on him.
I hope they can coach him up too.  Thought we should have grabbed Slater at 8 given how things panned out.  

Seems like you really liked Horn, but wanted him way later in the draft.  Thoughts on them taking him over Surtain?
I do like Horn but believe there were better options at #8.  I had Surtain as the top CB and the one CB taken in the top 10.  Had Horn as #2 and thought he'd be taken in the 11-14 range.  Hoped that if we drafted Horn it meant that we traded back to, say, 12 or 13 and we'd be able to get Horn and another pick later. 

Guess Rhule really liked what he saw at the Senior Bowl week in Horn.  As Desert_Power mentioned above, Horn is very talented and has the ability to play press coverage.  I do think he'll be a day one starter on an improved defense.  

But we need OL help and Slater was right there.  

I do like Horn but believe there were better options at #8.  I had Surtain as the top CB and the one CB taken in the top 10.  Had Horn as #2 and thought he'd be taken in the 11-14 range.  Hoped that if we drafted Horn it meant that we traded back to, say, 12 or 13 and we'd be able to get Horn and another pick later. 
The Cowboys would have taken Horn or Surtain had they been available. They traded down from the 10 spot with the Eagles, because both were gone. Had the Panthers traded down they would not have gotten one of those two. Rhule said they play against big receivers in the NFC South, and Horn covers big receivers well. They wanted Sewell, but he was gone right before. Apparently, they felt like Horn at CB was better than Slater at OT. Maybe they will go for OL help in the second round. 

The Cowboys would have taken Horn or Surtain had they been available. They traded down from the 10 spot with the Eagles, because both were gone. Had the Panthers traded down they would not have gotten one of those two. Rhule said they play against big receivers in the NFC South, and Horn covers big receivers well. They wanted Sewell, but he was gone right before. Apparently, they felt like Horn at CB was better than Slater at OT. Maybe they will go for OL help in the second round. 
Horn may not have been there in that trade scenario but we could have drafted Slater and another need in the first and had another added pick.  I'd rather have Slater and someone like Campbell (UGA) or A. Samuels (FSU) later on.  Regardless, I really hope Horn turns out a great pick.  And hopefully we still find a decent OT today.  

Horn may not have been there in that trade scenario but we could have drafted Slater and another need in the first and had another added pick.  I'd rather have Slater and someone like Campbell (UGA) or A. Samuels (FSU) later on.  Regardless, I really hope Horn turns out a great pick.  And hopefully we still find a decent OT today.  
I’m with you.  San Diego drafted slater and immediately named him a starter.   We are going to regret passing on him

Jayrok said:

Guess Rhule really liked what he saw at the Senior Bowl week in Horn.  As Desert_Power mentioned above, Horn is very talented and has the ability to play press coverage.  I do think he'll be a day one starter on an improved defense.  

But we need OL help and Slater was right there.  
I had forgotten the bold. That actually warms me to the move a good deal because they would a really up close look at the concerns I have. :thumbup:  

Words I thought I'd never say...Wow I miss Marty Hurney.

Fitterer has easily had the worst draft this year.  Outside of Marshall, every pick has been a reach.  On top of that he's traded away picks that could have secured go talent for multiple late picks that won't be much better that UDFAs.

Words I thought I'd never say...Wow I miss Marty Hurney.

Fitterer has easily had the worst draft this year.  Outside of Marshall, every pick has been a reach.  On top of that he's traded away picks that could have secured go talent for multiple late picks that won't be much better that UDFAs.
I hate to be negative but I agree.  WTF are they doing.  We dont need a WR or TE.  Hell we just signed 2.  We need line help and we let a whole lot of it go right by us.  I think Fitter just tried to get cute on general principle.  A WR in the 2nd????????????  Do these guys realize that you need an offensive line to win games?

Passing on Fields continues to sit in my stomach like a bad meal. Rappaport said on NFLN's broadcast that the team had him as their #2 QB. I don't know if that's true, but apparently McShay said they were really high on him before the draft, and there are some reports that certain members of the organization saw him as a "generational talent." Now, obviously I wouldn't care about any of that if I wasn't very high on Fields myself. This team just continues to improve at the margins and not at central/foundational positions. Unless Horn is a Ramsey or White type of CB, then he helps to improve the defense but not change the direction of the franchise. No LT help early (again). If Darnold improves upon his days as a Jet -- which I can see, though not to a top level -- then that's a few more wins. This team feels it is where it was last year and the year before, 7-10 wins, top 12-ish first rounder next year, rinse and repeat. I think Fields is a uniquely rare opportunity for a team that very rarely is bad enough to have a top 3 pick. Elite pedigree, college production, winner, and incredibly talented. I think this is a setback. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to be negative but I agree.  WTF are they doing.  We dont need a WR or TE.  Hell we just signed 2We need line help and we let a whole lot of it go right by us.  I think Fitter just tried to get cute on general principle.  A WR in the 2nd????????????  Do these guys realize that you need an offensive line to win games?
They trade the 2nd round pick to the Bears who then drafts T. Jenkins, OT.  I'd rather have just drafted the OT there.  Then 4 more OT go off the board in the next 10 or so picks.  But hey, at least we snagged another 6th round pick.   :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread