What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Qanon Documentary (1 Viewer)

modogg

Footballguy
Lol, i was nervous to even post this because i can envision the S storm that could come out of this. I am watching the Qanon documentary on HBO, and am on episode 5 of 6. Can anybody explain this to me like i was 5? my kid has me playing Go Fish while it is on, and this is documentary is in a world i do not know much about.

Didn't want to post it in the politics forum and have it devolve into something it isn't (i.e. just trying to figure out the motives with-in this documentary, and where is the financial gain (since i assume that is most of the motivations)?

Lol, i was nervous to even post this because i can envision the S storm that could come out of this. I am watching the Qanon documentary on HBO, and am on episode 5 of 6. Can anybody explain this to me like i was 5? my kid has me playing Go Fish while it is on, and this is documentary is in a world i do not know much about.

Didn't want to post it in the politics forum and have it devolve into something it isn't (i.e. just trying to figure out the motives with-in this documentary, and where is the financial gain (since i assume that is most of the motivations)?

What are you asking? What Q is? Or what the documentary is?

What are you asking? What Q is? Or what the documentary is?
i'm watching it now, so am wondering why people keep up with this over years, and what was the motivation of keeping something like this going. it doesn't seem to be financially fruitful, or am i missing something? (I can answer that i definitely am)

i'm watching it now, so am wondering why people keep up with this over years, and what was the motivation of keeping something like this going. it doesn't seem to be financially fruitful, or am i missing something? (I can answer that i definitely am)
Mental illness. Lack of education. Needing to grasp on to something to validate your worldview. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a story a while back about a woman who printed out every ‘Q drop’ and put them all together in a book. When she was feeling down, she’d flip through some of the pages to make herself feel better. It’s pretty much a religion to some of these people.

Once someone has invested time and energy into an ethos like this it’s shakes ones core belief system if it doesn’t turn out to be true.  That’s a hard thing for many to come to the realization of.   As the saying goes...  it’s far easier to fool someone then convince them they’ve been fooled

it doesn't seem to be financially fruitful, or am i missing something? (I can answer that i definitely am)
Within that world, there are influencers.  People that have zero closeness to whoever Q is, but jumped in early, and speak with confidence about what is going on in Q world.  They have books, Patreon pages, Twitch channels, YouTube channels, all kinds of ways to raise money.

Whether they believe or not doesn't matter.  They have monetized.  There was (or is), a 24 hour live stream YouTube channel. Literally 24 hours a day, with a rotating cast of hosts, and you could donate, and buy their merch, and on and on. They monetize the way any other strange person on YouTube or Instagram you've never heard of makes money.  

Imagine a segment of the population that is susceptible to conspiracy theories and the power of suggestion. Imagine those same people becoming fed up with media sources and leaders who fail to reinforce or validate their feelings and their worldview. Then imagine those same people being drawn towards other media sources -- which not only validate their feelings, but specifically cater to them and cultivate those feelings, driving home the theme of distrusting the "outside" world. Then imagine a perpetual cycle of consuming only those alternate media sources, then regurgitating the info with likeminded friends, then going right back to consuming the alternate facts, never stopping to see if the "outside" world had a different take on the situation.

That's the kindling. Q was the match that lit the fire, but the tinderbox had been ready to go up in flames for several years now.

In retrospect, it's somewhat surprising that this type of mass conspiracy theory didn't happen sooner. In a way, I think that it demonstrates that even the alternate media sources have an ethical line that they won't cross. Sure, they'll skew the facts as far as they can legally skew them, but they draw the line at inventing a fantasy world. "Q" had no ethical or legal restraints, so he was free to make up any story that he wanted.

It will be interesting to see if the alternate media takes a cue from Q (pun intended) and starts to introduce more fantasy elements into their productions.

Imagine a segment of the population that is susceptible to conspiracy theories and the power of suggestion. Imagine those same people becoming fed up with media sources and leaders who fail to reinforce or validate their feelings and their worldview. Then imagine those same people being drawn towards other media sources -- which not only validate their feelings, but specifically cater to them and cultivate those feelings, driving home the theme of distrusting the "outside" world. Then imagine a perpetual cycle of consuming only those alternate media sources, then regurgitating the info with likeminded friends, then going right back to consuming the alternate facts, never stopping to see if the "outside" world had a different take on the situation.

That's the kindling. Q was the match that lit the fire, but the tinderbox had been ready to go up in flames for several years now.

In retrospect, it's somewhat surprising that this type of mass conspiracy theory didn't happen sooner. In a way, I think that it demonstrates that even the alternate media sources have an ethical line that they won't cross. Sure, they'll skew the facts as far as they can legally skew them, but they draw the line at inventing a fantasy world. "Q" had no ethical or legal restraints, so he was free to make up any story that he wanted.

It will be interesting to see if the alternate media takes a cue from Q (pun intended) and starts to introduce more fantasy elements into their productions.

i mean, people have been handing money to prosperity preachers for forever and buying whatever snake oil they're selling

Q is just another grift to separate people from their money

i mean, people have been handing money to prosperity preachers for forever and buying whatever snake oil they're selling

Q is just another grift to separate people from their money
This.  A little amazed when people are like, who could believe this?

Ahhhhhhh, the same people who believe in chemtrails, and the Illuminati, and faith healers, and 9/11 was an inside job, and the New World Order (they have their own secret city under Denver International Airport), and the Holocaust didn't happen, and the moon landing was faked, and aliens abduct people (which weirdly stopped the second everyone had a smartphone on their person at all times--soooo odd).  

The two differences is that 1. the people who started believing in QAnon, the 4chan crew, are the biggest collection of losers ever assembled.  The only thing these guys have is this, and jerking it to anime.  2.  Social media. This conspiracy was incubated on social media.  

This is just faith healing on meth.  

Trolling, laughs, power, influence, etc.

Ahhhhhhh, the same people who believe in chemtrails, and the Illuminati, and faith healers, and 9/11 was an inside job, and the New World Order (they have their own secret city under Denver International Airport), and the Holocaust didn't happen, and the moon landing was faked, and aliens abduct people (which weirdly stopped the second everyone had a smartphone on their person at all times--soooo odd).  

The two differences is that 1. the people who started believing in QAnon, the 4chan crew, are the biggest collection of losers ever assembled.  The only thing these guys have is this, and jerking it to anime.  2.  Social media. This conspiracy was incubated on social media.  

Venn diagram damn near a perfect circle

massraider said:

belljr said:
Scott Hall lives at the Denver airport?
yreah, i don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that one of the only things i recognized here was about the New World Order. Big believer myself, have done the wolfpack hand bump since early 2000s

There's very little difference between q and the bible.  Both are full of fables that try to bind things together with a common compass.  Q got people hooked because who doesn't hate pedos.  Bible got people hooked because nobody wants to go to hell.

People are stupid and able to be convinced of some outright nonsense. 

Users who are viewing this thread