What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top Ten Spoon Songs (1 Viewer)

Northern Voice

Footballguy
My favourite band ever. Prolific and consistent. They deserve a thread. There's a chance I expand this to album ranking, top 100, whatever but for now, a simple top ten. Agree, disagree? What should be higher. Hurt me to not have anything from the earliest albums but they don't quite make the cut IMO, though i love Car Radio, Utilitarian, Metal Detektor, Agony of Lafitte, etc...

10. Someone Something (2002, from Kill The Moonlight)

9. The Underdog (2007, from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga)

8. I Turn My Camera On (2005, from Gimme Fiction)

7. New York Kiss (2014 from They Want My Soul)

6. Black Like Me (2007, from Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga)

5. Inside Out (2014 from They Want My Soul)

4. Everything Hits At Once (2001, from Girls Can Tell)

3. WhisperI'lllistentohearit (2017, from Hot Thoughts)

2. The Way We Get By (2002, from Kill The Moonlight)

1. I Summon You (2005, from Gimme Fiction)

Perfect thread for today. Spoon Radio is my Friday staple.

My top three songs are The Underdog, The Way We Get By and You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb. Bias tends to go toward songs that I have seen them crush live at ACL. Back when we could go to concerts.

My 12YO daughter and I have connected through Spoon after she obsessed over this cover of The Underdog by Julia Nunes

Last edited by a moderator:
i really liked together by the great rik howard and bob wirth which was the theme song to silver spoons take that to the bank brohans 

My top three songs are The Underdog, The Way We Get By and You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb. Bias tends to go toward songs that I have seen them crush live at ACL. Back when we could go to concerts.

My 12YO daughter and I have connected through Spoon after she obsessed over this cover of The Underdog by Julia Nunes
The last time I saw Spoon was in 2017 on the Hot Thoughts tour. It was in Toronto as Massey Hall, the most famous venue in the city, and when they came out, the lighting stayed really dark for a long time even after they had started playing. The fans all pulled out their phones and shone the flashlights on the stage as they played "Do I Have to Talk You Into It". I wish there was video of it online, This review of the concert captures it well. It was one of those amazing concert moments I'll remember forever.

Best use of Spoon in film/TV is Stranger than Fiction.  Great soundtrack, great movie.  
 My mathematical mind/is gonna see the breaks

My Mathematical Mind Live @ Brooklyn Steel (This is them in fine form)

Spoon Top Ten, from another aficionado that loves them. I also saw them on the Hot Thoughts tour, in Santa Ana, and it prompted me to start the Three-Axe Attack thread, because they had three guitarists that night and they decided to shred for some reason. Best I've ever seen them, and probably one of the best shows I've ever been to. 

Top ten: 

10. Rent I Pay - They Want My Soul (2014)

Love this because it's the opening slowed-down chug-a-chug stomp that foretells the ballsy riffage to come in They Want My Soul. Just a rocker. 

Live at KEXP 7.24.14

9. Anything You Want - Girls Can Tell (2001)

Love this for the lyrics. Because you know you're the one/and that hasn't changed/since you were nineteen and still in school waiting on a light standing on the corner by the Sound Exchange. Spent many a hungover morning listening to this song, lamenting that the stripper I was in love with didn't want my paying customer ###. Too bad, son. 

Live at Brooklyn Steel 12.08.17

8. Knock Knock Knock - They Want My Soul (2014)

Love the whistling and riffage, again. 

Live at Sound Opinions 1.19.15. Sounds great!

7. Paper Tiger - Kill The Moonlight (2002)

The lyrics absolutely slay me. A piano/synth'd out song with groove. We'll go back tonight the way that we came/I'm not dumb just want to hold your hand

Live in 2005, heavy guitar version, sounds much different from the album version

6. The Beast And Dragon, Adored - Gimme Fiction (2005)

Great dominions don't come cheap. This LP does. You could get the deluxe on sale for a while for like thirteen bucks, a good price these days. This was supposed to be the outro to the album. It name checks the other nine songs if you listen carefully enough. 

[TK a good live version]

5. I Turn My Camera On - Gimme Fiction (2005)

The Rolling Stones had plenty of influence on this one. A disco/rock stomper.

Live at Austin City Limits 1.18,15

4. I Saw The Light - Transference (2010)

Little-appreciated classic off of Transference

This was the show I was at. 3.16.17

3. Believing Is Art - Girls Can Tell (2001)

I simply love the riff, again. 

Live Soundcheck in Albany 4.28.01

2. New York Kiss - They Want My Soul (2014)

Probably one of the coolest synth/dance prog songs in existence. I love the conclusion. 

[Hopefully TK - a good live version]

1. Black Like Me - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (2007)

I'm in need of someone to take care of me tonight/As I walk into Dorian's can you see it their eyes...

All the weird kids up front/Tell me what'cha know you want

Live with A Take-Away Show 1.10.11

Hot Thoughts didn't make the cut for me with any singles, but it is a damn fine album that's a complete grower. 

Also, live versions coming for the songs listed. 

There was a Spoon thread, by the way. I started it. Went by the wayside in like 2015 -- and I think it's now archived -- so it's good we have a new one. I think when I started it somebody asked if the 2003 had called or something. It was Limp Ditka. They're still relevant, quipped I. They are. 

9. Anything You Want - Girls Can Tell

Love this for the lyrics. Because you know you're the one/and that hasn't changed/since you were nineteen and still in school waiting on a light standing on the corner by the Sound Exchange. Spent many a hungover morning listening to this song, lamenting that the stripper I was in love with didn't want my paying customer ###. Too bad, son. 
This song is about Eleanor Friedberger (Fiery Furnaces). It was a late cut from my list

This song is about Eleanor Friedberger (Fiery Furnaces). It was a late cut from my list
Yep. That was his girlfriend for a time. I love that song. My list didn't have really late cuts -- it was a one-off of the top of my head filled in with links and live versions. That's where the effort went into on that one. Holy crow, I've lost like an hour in this thread and could lose more.  :help:

My ole buddy, Steve Boone was an original Lovin' Spoonful member, played bass.

So my tops would be:

Do You Believe in Magic?

Summer in the City

Daydream

You Didn't Have to be so Nice

Did You Ever Have to Make up Your Mind?

It is amazing how many movies and commercials have used these songs, they reap royalty bennies.

Never really got into them. They were the 2nd of 4 bands I saw a couple years back, with Starcrawler opening, then Spoon, then Cage the Elephant, and finally Beck. They were ok. Honestly since then I dived further into Starcrawler but haven't really felt the need to listen to much Spoon. I do like that Underdog tune.

Am I the only one with You Got Yr Cherry Bomb in the top 10?  
Nope. In my top three.

I just went through all my liked Spoon songs on Spotify and listed the ones that hadnt been mentioned. May be more a reflection of it not being a well liked album by the FFA?
I hear you

My 5 yr old (at the time) made Hot Thoughts his anthem, loved jamming/singing to it

It is a great album, easy listener start to finish

Users who are viewing this thread