What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BBQ Restaurants (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Recent thread on traveling made me think. 

Great BBQ is tough to find. Maybe we can use this thread to talk about spots we like and BBQ in general if it wants to spin off that way.

I'll start with a newer one. I've never been to Matt Horn's place in Oakland but it looks rad. https://www.eater.com/22301580/pitmaster-matt-horn-west-coast-style-barbecue-oakland

And on the "general talk of BBQ" angle, I'm going to admittedly have a huge bias in favor of the spots cooking with 100% wood in real pits and not gas ovens with a log or two burning on the side to give some smoke "flavor". 

Louie Mueller's in Taylor, TX is my long time favorite.  Beef ribs are always great, when his brisket is on it's world class, and while I rarely eat sides at BBQ joints, there's just something about his potato salad. And Wayne's a really nice and genuine guy with an absolute BBQ pedigree,

I've been super impressed with Truth in Brenham, TX. Almost Mueller's equal in beef ribs.. And I hear he's opened a place in Houston now with Johnny Mandola. Haven't been, but on on my list for when I start traveling again. 

Lewis BBQ in Charleston, SC is very good. Probably the best beef BBQ I've had outside of TX. Of course, he has deep Franklin and TX roots.

Pork BBQ is a different topic.Scott's in Hemingway, SC is very good but our own @tipsy mcstaggerserved me the finest plate of pulled pork I've ever had.  I swear he melted butter in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
And while I've got my favorites, I sure won't turn up my nose at Rudy's, Coopers, and a bazillion other genuine places.  I draw the line at Bill Miller's, Spring Creek, 4 Rivers, and their ilk.  

Louie Mueller's in Taylor, TX is my long time favorite.  Beef ribs are always great, when his brisket is on it's world class, and while I rarely eat sides at BBQ joints, there's just something about his potato salad. And Wayne's a really nice and genuine guy with an absolute BBQ pedigree,

I've been super impressed with Truth in Brenham, TX. Almost Mueller's equal in beef ribs.. And I hear he's opened a place in Houston now with Johnny Mandola. Haven't been, but on on my list for when I start traveling again. 

Lewis BBQ in Charleston, SC is very good. Probably the best beef BBQ I've had outside of TX. Of course, he has deep Franklin and TX roots.

Pork BBQ is a different topic.Scott's in Hemingway, SC is very good but our own @tipsy mcstaggerserved me the finest plate of pulled pork I've ever had.  I swear he melted butter in it.
I haven't been to Nola in a long time. I still haven't had any of Tipsy's BBQ, but I made it to Dantes pretty much every time I was in town. He has a way with slow cooking meats.

Iron works and Franklin’s in Austin TX are both amazing. There was a food cart/truck in Austin that served some of the best brisket sandwiches in known existence but I can’t say that I wasn’t influenced by some libations at the time. 

Here in So-Cal we’re not exactly known for BBQ but there is a local place called Phil’s BBQ that started in a tiny hole in the wall spot and has grown to 3 massive locations throughout San Diego that always have huge lines. Big fan.  

I've never been but know people who think B's is awesome. 

Skylight Inn is my NC favorite. Got to meet Sam Jones last time I was there and he seems to be as nice in person as what you see online. 
If you come again, let me know and I'll buy you a beer. 

There is a newish Sam Jones BBQ in town now. It is run by his son. It is pretty good.

Its amazing how many really good ones have popped up here in Austin in the last 10 years. There are a ton so if anyone comes to Austin and wants more detail, let me know. 

Just to name one and a surrounding one - 

• Franklin - Its brisket is still the king. The ribs are also good. But you will not have better brisket anywhere else. 
  • Luling City Market - this is about an hour south of Austin and has the best sausage I've ever had.

Austin, TX:
Franklin (duh)
Stiles Switch

Syracuse, NY:
Dinosaur BBQ

Cincinnati:
Eli's BBQ

I've said this before, a lot of what was BBQ really took a nosedive when people decided they didn't want to tend a live fire.  But that coincided at the same time with Sysco foods taking over and providing some really low quality product.  The turning point was really Americans moving away from beef and into chicken for day to day, but still wanting to go to high end steak for dining out.  

This opened up a problem for the high end packers, they had a #### ton of briskets to sell.  BBQ places bought them up, Franklin being one of them, and the rest is history.

That is to say, it is really hard (impossible) to make a Sysco product taste good and it's really hard to mess up a high end CAB+ or P+ brisket.  Doesn't matter if you tend a live fire, or cook it in an oven or whatever what people like, is quality stuff.  

There is no good BBQ in Florida. Not one place I’ve had. Everybody flips for 4 rivers but it’s barbecue for people who don’t know what good barbecue is. It’s very frustrating!

My parents grew up in Arkansas. My dad started going to McClard’s BBQ when he was a little boy in the late 1930’s. Our visits to Arkansas over the years always required a couple of stops at McClard’s. I’ve been going since the 1970’s and have been taking my boys since the late 1990’s.

I think it’s great but a lot of nostalgia in it for me. 

http://www.mcclards.com/

It's off the beaten path but if you find yourself near Fort Campbell, Kockum Hill is still one of my favorite places ever. I haven't been there in a decade but man it was good. 

Also, Noble meats, by fort bragg. 😍

There is no good BBQ in Florida. Not one place I’ve had. Everybody flips for 4 rivers but it’s barbecue for people who don’t know what good barbecue is. It’s very frustrating!
The closest I’ve seen to BBQ are Sonny’s and Southern Pig and Cattle, both chain restaurants. The best I’ve had is some hole in the wall place near West Palm Beach, I couldn’t even tell you the name of the place.

The original Lou Bonos in Jax is pretty, pretty good. An old brick building, picnic tables outside, huge pit with smokestack you can see for miles. Elderly waiters wearing white shirts and bow ties. It's a throwback to the '40s, Lou Bono fired up the first pit in '49.

Also if you're ever in S. Miami, Flynn's Dixie Ribs has been serving up old style BBQ since the '50's. We would go there to pig out after my little league games in the good ole days. Our last Key's road trip a couple years ago we stopped in and it was good as ever!

Seems most focus on meats when it comes to BBQ restaurants.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find deep fried corn on the cob which is my biggest side weakness.

While it won't compare with the very top nationak places, locally Woodpeckers is much better than 4 Rivers or the other regional chains. 

ETA - I've been to 2 different 4Rivers a total of 3 times. Very meh. For chain barbecue, best I have had is Mission.

I've had a couple passable experiences up in Jax but nothing worth noting. I think the biggest problem with FL BBQ is Floridians.  In general, they just aren't willing to pay for good BBQ. They think it's a cheap backyard meal.  A $25 a pound prime brisket place like Franklin's would never succeed.

In Chicago, I've enjoyed Chicago Culinary Kitchen, Smoque and Green Street Meats. 

Chicago culinary kitchen is near me and has lines every weekend. It was started by a friend of a friend who just subscribed to the school of YouTube with a passion for good BBQ. Made it look easy. 

I'm not going to go into all the great Austin/Hill Country area BBQ joints as they've been endlessly discussed in this forum.  For years, Houston lagged significantly behind them but recently that has changed.  Pit Room (https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-pit-room-2016/)  is tops in the city imo with Pinkertons, Gatlins and Killens close behind.   There are a few others that I have yet to try.  You're not just stuck with overpriced Goode BBQ, etc.  

West palm beach has Troys BBQ.  The Boynton Beach location is a remodeled McDonalds and everything is cooked outside on huge wood smokers.  You get to drive buy the pits if you use the drive through.  It’s also black owned and operated if you feel that sort of thing is important.

Troy cut his teeth on food truck and doing local festivals and competitions.

** edit - to Ron’s point above RE$$ a whole rack of ribs with the tips and all is like $35.  It’s not a $15 rack out of the oven on Thursday night rib night at the local pub.  It’s def more $$ but if you want competition Smokey BBQ this is for you.

I've had a couple passable experiences up in Jax but nothing worth noting. I think the biggest problem with FL BBQ is Floridians.  In general, they just aren't willing to pay for good BBQ. They think it's a cheap backyard meal.  A $25 a pound prime brisket place like Franklin's would never succeed.
There is a place up in St Augustine we stopped at called MoJo that was better than decent.  They have a location in Gainesville and Jacksonville.  

if/when we make it back to St A’s we will visit again.

We are lucky here in STL, as we have tons of great BBQ restaurants all over now. I go to Sugarfire the most because I live minutes from one, but we also have Pappy's, Gobble Stop Smokehouse, Dailey's and a bunch more I cannot recall off the top of my head. 

Dino is good in Rochester or Troy too. Haven't personally been to the one in Syracuse. RedBones in Boston is outstanding too.

Of my top 10 as much as I hate to admit it Texas has about 7 slots. Whether it’s Franklin’s, Mueller’s,  Black’s or Lockhart BBQ it doesn’t matter. All fantastic. Butcher paper. Phenomenal brisket. Great beef ribs. Unreal sausage. Sides. Haven’t had anything in CA that’s close. Note I also had a heart attack eating this stuff. So I eat less now. More smoked chicken on the Traeger these days. 

I'll start with a newer one. I've never been to Matt Horn's place in Oakland but it looks rad. https://www.eater.com/22301580/pitmaster-matt-horn-west-coast-style-barbecue-oakland
I live in Oakland and I’ve been to Matt’s a few times. Great. Keeping in mind we’re in California where BBQ really isn’t a thing (sadly). Look me up if you’re in the area. 

Got an add on Facebook the other day that they actually will ship too. Haven't been there since the last weekend before Covid started up :kicksrock:
Of all my trips to Charleston I have never been to Lewis BBQ. I've been to Rodney Scott's a couple of times and it was good. @Ron SwansonLast July 4th I had the pleasure of passing through Hemingway SC and stopping at Scott's BBQ. The pulled pork and the ribs were both fantastic. I need to get back. 

I've heard some good things about Brown's BBQ in Kingstree SC. This is a buffet but you can also order off the menu. Well today is the day that I get to try it out for lunch. We'll be stopping by on our way from Florence to Charleston on HWY 52.

#NoBreakfastForMe

I’ve only had BBQ in NYC (Blue Smoke, Virgil’s and Dallas BBQ) and Dinosaur BBQ in Newark, NJ.

I like them all but I’m sure most would say I’ve never had “real” BBQ.

I’ve only had BBQ in NYC (Blue Smoke, Virgil’s and Dallas BBQ) and Dinosaur BBQ in Newark, NJ.

I like them all but I’m sure most would say I’ve never had “real” BBQ.
I don't know. Danny Meyer at Blue Smoke isn't a BBQ guy but he's second to none as a Restauranteur. Blue Smoke is pretty great. As is Dinosaur. Fette Sau in Brooklyn is good and has the coolest tap handle setup for beer anywhere. 

Hometown in Brooklyn gets a ton of love too and owner Will Durney is totally in the rockstar pitmaster club with the Yeti sponsorhip. I thought it was ok but not great. 

I'm not going to go into all the great Austin/Hill Country area BBQ joints as they've been endlessly discussed in this forum.  For years, Houston lagged significantly behind them but recently that has changed.  Pit Room (https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/the-pit-room-2016/)  is tops in the city imo with Pinkertons, Gatlins and Killens close behind.   There are a few others that I have yet to try.  You're not just stuck with overpriced Goode BBQ, etc.  
I like all those.

But Truth in the Heights is way better than all of them. They're not just best in Houston in my opinion, they're the best in Texas. Which means best in the world. The original location in Brenham is better just because it's more a small town Texas BBQ joint but their new huge place in Houston is just as good. 

Jack Stack’s in KC. Love me some burnt ends
I like Jack Stacks but my favorite by a mile is the original Arthur Bryant's on Brooklyn. Shark move is get beef sandwich to go but eat there. To go means they wrap it in butcher paper and seem to put about twice as many fries. And lots of the appeal for Arthur Bryant's is the nostalgia. It's a legit shrine. There are 250 places in Texas that do brisket better. But it's fun and awesome. 

Users who are viewing this thread