What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BBQ Restaurants (1 Viewer)

I hate to do this in this thread but - do you freeze food after you sous vide it? If so, how do you reheat it after you take it out of the freezer? 

I haven't tried that yet.

Yes, I plunge cool right after it's done cooking to avoid danger zone issues and then I freeze. For most things I reheat via sous vide, some things I will use the oven/broiler or flat top if crispiness is desireable.

As an example, I had some potatoes yesterday that were beginning to sprout and no plans to use them for at least a few days.  So I made up a vacuum bag of sliced potatoes, milk, butter, chives, salt, white pepper, and some garlic. Sous vide at 190 for an hour, plunge cool and into the freezer. When we use it I'll reheat it at 150-190 for 15-20 minutes, mash or smash them and mix in any other ingredients and we have a quick side. And no wasted potatoes.

Meat is similar but really only worth it for long cooks. For instance I'll sous vide chuck roast or short ribs for 48 hours.  That takes a lot of planning. I use it in pho, etc. So I sous vide it in portion sizes, plunge cool it, and then I can reheat it in 15-20 minutes via sous vide, and give it a quick sear for lunch or whatever.
I have done this many times with tri-tips.  I will usually sous vide 6 at a time for about 30 hrs and then freeze the ones I am not utilizing that day.  When I take them out of the freezer I will just sous vide again for a couple hours to make sure the temp is consistent throughout the tri tip and then sear on the grill for the bark.  I have no idea what the min time for the re-heat to ensure temp is up throughout but i have no issues with the 1-2 hours I have used.  I haven't noticed any difference in quality between the ones I use immediately and the ones I have frozen.  

I sense (in this thread and others) a strong dislike of Nashville by Joe.  His description of BBQ here seems centered around one I know well (Martins).  And I get it...purist in me says the all for show stuff is annoying (and it is when they push it so much).  Other side of me thinks...if the food is good, do I care?  Sometimes yes and no.  I don't seek them out, but have found their food good.  But there are others here that I would not have such a feeling about.  

Some I do like and don't think are all show...  

Papa Turney,s on Percy Priest Lake.  Love their pulled chicken, brisket (when he has enough) is fantastic.  Ribs are hit and miss.  They are good, but days you get the fall of the bone make me sad.  Good guy too...been eating his BBQ since he was in a small little food truck just off the interstate cooking out of a little old grill.

Peg Leg Porker.  Again, great story of the place and owner.  And putting out really good food.  A fan of their ribs.

Edleys BBQ.  Got a bit too popular...but solid solid Brisket.

And yeah...I get that Nashville gets a bit too big ego going on some stuff.  And much of the food scene is better than our BBQ scene.

I sense (in this thread and others) a strong dislike of Nashville by Joe.  His description of BBQ here seems centered around one I know well (Martins).  And I get it...purist in me says the all for show stuff is annoying (and it is when they push it so much).  Other side of me thinks...if the food is good, do I care?  Sometimes yes and no.  I don't seek them out, but have found their food good.  But there are others here that I would not have such a feeling about.  

Some I do like and don't think are all show...  

Papa Turney,s on Percy Priest Lake.  Love their pulled chicken, brisket (when he has enough) is fantastic.  Ribs are hit and miss.  They are good, but days you get the fall of the bone make me sad.  Good guy too...been eating his BBQ since he was in a small little food truck just off the interstate cooking out of a little old grill.

Peg Leg Porker.  Again, great story of the place and owner.  And putting out really good food.  A fan of their ribs.

Edleys BBQ.  Got a bit too popular...but solid solid Brisket.

And yeah...I get that Nashville gets a bit too big ego going on some stuff.  And much of the food scene is better than our BBQ scene.
I've got a wide range of Nashville BBQ experience. I've been to all those except Turney's. Will try that one day. 

I've got a wide range of Nashville BBQ experience. I've been to all those except Turney's. Will try that one day. 
Oh sure...didn't mean to insinuate that it was just the one...but I know Martins gets pumped up as this whole hog...big pit out front thing.

Turneys is certainly not a big or fancy place at all.  

sho nuff said:
Oh sure...didn't mean to insinuate that it was just the one...but I know Martins gets pumped up as this whole hog...big pit out front thing.

Turneys is certainly not a big or fancy place at all.  
I think whole hog in general has a tendency to wind up being underwhelming with a few very notable exceptions. Especially for those who are used to pulled pork made from butts.  Butts as a smaller cut just wind up with more smoke and seasoning flavor.

I think whole hog in general has a tendency to wind up being underwhelming with a few very notable exceptions. Especially for those who are used to pulled pork made from butts.  Butts as a smaller cut just wind up with more smoke and seasoning flavor.
Done right, I think whole hog is easily the best of pork BBQ. Sam Jones at Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC and Elliott Moss at Buxton Hall in Asheville do it right. 

But a great many places scream and shout about whole hog and have a cooker for one hog out front, while the gas oven Ole Hickory's churn out 95% of the food in the back. And most tourists never put the math together that it won't work. In Texas we call that all hat and no cattle. 

On the other end of the spectrum, I had some of the best BBQ in the state today at Cattleack in Dallas. Outstanding. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth. There is an element of whole hog that it can be more like a chopped pork roast because there is so much less surface area exposed to smoke / heat for the bark. 

For that reason, I've wondered about butterflying pork shoulders some to increase the exposure. But I also know doing it the current way works and I'm hesitant to mess with that too much. 

Truth. There is an element of whole hog that it can be more like a chopped pork roast because there is so much less surface area exposed to smoke / heat for the bark. 

For that reason, I've wondered about butterflying pork shoulders some to increase the exposure. But I also know doing it the current way works and I'm hesitant to mess with that too much. 
I've had very good success quartering butts and smoking.  Reduced cook time, more surface area for rub, smoke, and bark formation. Just as juicy. No downside other that it just doesn't feel right to do it that way.

I didn't see it listed here and obviously LA is not known for great BBQ (which is probably why this was not listed), but Bludso's here is excellent.  The original was in Compton, then he opened a second on the west side.  The original is now gone, but he recently opened a new pop up in Long Beach that I need to try.

I need a good recommendation for Kansas City.  We'll be there next month.  I'd like to find somewhere with good KC bbq, but not the long lines or hype.

Recent thread on traveling made me think. 

Great BBQ is tough to find. Maybe we can use this thread to talk about spots we like and BBQ in general if it wants to spin off that way.
Hey Joe. I missed this thread but feel like pimpin' a favorite spot. 

First, the only culinary writer to ever win a Pulitzer, John Gold writing for Gourmet about Paris and New York, steadfastly defends an opinion that LA is the best foodie city in the world. The opinion is based on advantages Cali has agriculturally, but moreso the massive multi-cultural population in heavy competition for restaurant space makes LA the leader in cheap amazing food from all over the world. You name it, we got it high end, and we got it fast food cheap at high end quality. 

I say this because despite all that, not a lot of Texans and other southern/midwestern bbq-mecca residents migrate to LA. Great BBQ here is rare. However, down one of the most beautiful road trips anywhere - hwy 395 as it leaves the high desert and runs north in eastern Cali to Lake Tahoe/Reno - has a BBQ place doing it right. It was hilariously ranked the #1 restaurant in the country on Yelp for awhile.

Google images for Copper Top.

I have a sis up that road in Lake Tahoe, so I go as often as I can. One of my favorite features is the vending machine. I typically roll by in odd hours when they're closed. It's nothing to drop $100 in the vending machine and take a brisket, some ribs and a tri-tip to my sisters. Vacuum sealed and frozen, still the best grub on the five hour trip.

Anyway, since traveling got you thinking...

I need a good recommendation for Kansas City.  We'll be there next month.  I'd like to find somewhere with good KC bbq, but not the long lines or hype.
If you are going to one place and want to feel the history of KC BBQ, go to the original Arthur Bryants.

While you are down there, hit up the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum if you into such things. You will not be disappointed.

Hey Joe. I missed this thread but feel like pimpin' a favorite spot. 

First, the only culinary writer to ever win a Pulitzer, John Gold writing for Gourmet about Paris and New York, steadfastly defends an opinion that LA is the best foodie city in the world. The opinion is based on advantages Cali has agriculturally, but moreso the massive multi-cultural population in heavy competition for restaurant space makes LA the leader in cheap amazing food from all over the world. You name it, we got it high end, and we got it fast food cheap at high end quality. 

I say this because despite all that, not a lot of Texans and other southern/midwestern bbq-mecca residents migrate to LA. Great BBQ here is rare. However, down one of the most beautiful road trips anywhere - hwy 395 as it leaves the high desert and runs north in eastern Cali to Lake Tahoe/Reno - has a BBQ place doing it right. It was hilariously ranked the #1 restaurant in the country on Yelp for awhile.

Google images for Copper Top.

I have a sis up that road in Lake Tahoe, so I go as often as I can. One of my favorite features is the vending machine. I typically roll by in odd hours when they're closed. It's nothing to drop $100 in the vending machine and take a brisket, some ribs and a tri-tip to my sisters. Vacuum sealed and frozen, still the best grub on the five hour trip.

Anyway, since traveling got you thinking...
Thanks @Chaos Commish That looks awesome. I don't have any experience with the Santa Monica Grill but love that kind of stuff where something has the regioinal angle. Would love to try that some time. Thanks for the recommendation. 

If you are going to one place and want to feel the history of KC BBQ, go to the original Arthur Bryants.

While you are down there, hit up the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum if you into such things. You will not be disappointed.
Agreed. I'd put Arthur Bryant's on Brooklyn miles above the others. The food isn't that much better, but the building and history is off the charts. It's a shrine. Plus their BBQ sandwich is a real BBQ sandwich. Not some bougie tourist trap thing with fancy cheese on a kaiser roll... ;)  

I will also say...while Im not as down on Nashville BBQ as others...I agree that I have yet to find great BBQ here.  SOme of it is good...but I wouldn't call it great.

Its not Germantown Commisary great (the original...my first visit to the one in Collierville was not the same) or when I first had Central BBQ in Midtown Memphis (can't speak for if it still is as good as I have not been in years).  I have not tried their Nashville location yet.

And often...Id rather make some of it at home anyway.  Ribs, for example.  Here in Nashville...my favorite spot for ribs has been closed for several years now (South Street).  Was a mix of a dive bar and smokehouse.  Loved their dry rub ribs.  But Ive gotten to the point I prefer my own rub to most restaurants.  I prefer the doneness I get.  I like the process and just about everything about cooking ribs at home.

Brisket is about the only exception.  Have only done one and it was ok.  Will be doing another this summer.  But its hard at home for the normal reasons a Brisket is difficult (time...size...touchiness of that cut)....but also that my wife likes it ok...but the rest of my family could take it or leave it.  Add in the cost this past year or two and well...doesn't make it worth it to do at home very much.  .

Agreed. I'd put Arthur Bryant's on Brooklyn miles above the others. The food isn't that much better, but the building and history is off the charts. It's a shrine. Plus their BBQ sandwich is a real BBQ sandwich. Not some bougie tourist trap thing with fancy cheese on a kaiser roll... ;)  
Miles above?  Agree to disagree.  I'll give you the history, but the food isn't as good as others.  The OP asked for "good KC bbq" and not "hype".  But admittedly, you can't go wrong in KC.  Good stuff.

Joe’s KC, Q39, or Jacks Stack.  Jacks Stack is my personal fav 
Pre Covid I was going to KC for business quite a bit and was able to hit up all of these places.  Q39 and Jack Stacks were fairly close.  What surprised me most was I went to a small place that was more fast foodish that served bowls that were great.  I think it was called Burnt End BBQ and was in Overland Park.  I was surprised at how much I liked this place.  

I didn't see it listed here and obviously LA is not known for great BBQ (which is probably why this was not listed), but Bludso's here is excellent.  The original was in Compton, then he opened a second on the west side.  The original is now gone, but he recently opened a new pop up in Long Beach that I need to try.
I haven't been to the Bar & Q but the original was the best I've ever had as an L.A. native. My friends and I still reminisce about it... :(

These are pretty solid choices but I'd still hit Bryant's.

Never been a fan of Jack Stack. Their food is good, but the restaurants are just too "nice" for me. I know it sounds stupid, but I just can't go to a BBQ joint where they use cloth napkins. It just doesn't feel right.   :lol:
Doesn't sound stupid at all. 

Done right, I think whole hog is easily the best of pork BBQ. Sam Jones at Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC and Elliott Moss at Buxton Hall in Asheville do it right. 

But a great many places scream and shout about whole hog and have a cooker for one hog out front, while the gas oven Ole Hickory's churn out 95% of the food in the back. And most tourists never put the math together that it won't work. In Texas we call that all hat and no cattle. 

On the other end of the spectrum, I had some of the best BBQ in the state today at Cattleack in Dallas. Outstanding. 
I love Cattleack. It's our go-to first Saturday of the month. I think the best beef ribs I've ever had.

👍 not a fan of the Walmart sized Kreuz
Agreed. I understand it from the business side. But the building is what I fell in love with.

You may be familiar too in how Schmidt left. The fires at the original Kreuz Market never went out. They literally burned 24/7. When they split and moved down the street, they extinguished the fires in the original pits and carried the fire down the street to the new giant Kreuz. It's interesting for how petty it was, but wasn't a fan. 

The new store is infinitely more efficient and I'm sure profitable. But I don't love it. 

I love the original. 

Agreed. I understand it from the business side. But the building is what I fell in love with.

You may be familiar too in how Schmidt left. The fires at the original Kreuz Market never went out. They literally burned 24/7. When they split and moved down the street, they extinguished the fires in the original pits and carried the fire down the street to the new giant Kreuz. It's interesting for how petty it was, but wasn't a fan. 

The new store is infinitely more efficient and I'm sure profitable. But I don't love it. 

I love the original. 
yup

I love the original. 
The new one pales in comparison to most other CTX BBQ. They opened one very similar in Bryan which was similarly meh.  I think it's closed now. I know Roy Perez is well known but they really aren't in the same class as the top places. They are more like a decent local place like a Hinze or Mikeska's.

The new one pales in comparison to most other CTX BBQ. They opened one very similar in Bryan which was similarly meh.  I think it's closed now. I know Roy Perez is well known but they really aren't in the same class as the top places. They are more like a decent local place like a Hinze or Mikeska's.
Yes. It's why I think my friend Wayne Mueller is remarkable at Louie Mueller's. He could have rested on his reputation but continues to excel. 

A place I visited back in 2014 while attending the US Open @ Pinehurst is unique in the fact that you can fly in to go eat. Great food and one of the best brisket sandwiches I've ever eaten.

PIK N PIG

My favorite BBQ  in no particular order since they each offer quality product with different angles, Abe's BBQ, in Clarksdale , MS., Interstate BBQ in Memphis, Smoque BBQ, Chicago (a block from my mother's .)  Cozy Corner in Memphis, Black Dog BBQ in Champain and Urbana Il,  and The Shed , Ocean Springs MS.  If you make it to Abe's do yourself a favor and enjoy an evening at Red's as well. Recomended accomadations the Shack Up Inn.

I unfortunately live in a place where BBQ is not normal fare, so it's harder to find good smoked meat goodness.

That said, I discovered a place (which is actually a small chain here in SoCal), called Sauced BBQ & Spirits that was surprisingly good.  

I became a BBQ snob after living in Austin for 6 years and have been desperately seeking good BBQ here.  I found one spot down the street from me called Hambone's which I frequent, just because the beer is SUPER cheap and the brisket is decent.

Sauced, on the other hand, had some insanely good brisket.  Like Texas BBQ good.  Unfortunately it's not down the street like the other joint.

Anyways, if you're ever in SoCal, I highly recommend Sauced and Hambone's, albeit for slightly different reasons.

Enjoy your meats, FFA'ers!

I unfortunately live in a place where BBQ is not normal fare, so it's harder to find good smoked meat goodness.

That said, I discovered a place (which is actually a small chain here in SoCal), called Sauced BBQ & Spirits that was surprisingly good.  

I became a BBQ snob after living in Austin for 6 years and have been desperately seeking good BBQ here.  I found one spot down the street from me called Hambone's which I frequent, just because the beer is SUPER cheap and the brisket is decent.

Sauced, on the other hand, had some insanely good brisket.  Like Texas BBQ good.  Unfortunately it's not down the street like the other joint.

Anyways, if you're ever in SoCal, I highly recommend Sauced and Hambone's, albeit for slightly different reasons.

Enjoy your meats, FFA'ers!
you had a chance to check out Beachwoods BBQ? 

you had a chance to check out Beachwoods BBQ? 
Edit:  Yeah now I remember hearing about this place...

there appears to be one local to me, and if memory serves the owners of this place are alumni of where i went to college... so I'll have to try it out.  Beer and BBQ, what could be better.

Thanks for the rec'!

Had some Arthur Bryant's in KC last week.  Good grief they give you a lot of beef.  Unintentional rhyme there.

The meat was good.  BBQ sauce was interesting.  I've heard Gates is better but haven't been there in 25 years.

Well, it was a dark day at the temple of smoke. Miss-timed my 3 hour drive a bit and didn't arrive until right at noon. I was afraid the line would be deep.  Nope.  The parking lot was empty and this sign was on the door. No way they ran out of meat before noon, unless they had none to cook.  Locals in the area say their hours have been very erratic the last few months due to not being able to find consistent workers.  Hopefully that evens out soon.  

Decided to try Taylor Cafe as a backup and to my dismay it is totally shuttered with the famous sign painted over.  I knew Vencil passed away a couple years back but I thought others had kept it going. I'm guessing it was a Covid victim. Another legend gone.

Guess I'll have to get my fix at Truth in Houston later this week.

Ouch, 3 hours on the road for nothing.

I'll be in Austin, TX in mid September. I've been doing research on activities and (more importantly) BBQ spots to visit. I'm aware of the big hitters in town, but am very interested in some great lesser known spots that FBG's enjoy. I don't have a budget, only time constraints.

TIA!

Ouch, 3 hours on the road for nothing.

I'll be in Austin, TX in mid September. I've been doing research on activities and (more importantly) BBQ spots to visit. I'm aware of the big hitters in town, but am very interested in some great lesser known spots that FBG's enjoy. I don't have a budget, only time constraints.

TIA!
Salt Lick and Franklin's are good, but tourist traps so be prepared to wait.  I was always partial to Rudy's (brisket and turkey are BOMB!) during my 6 years in Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread