What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's All About Spa-Mar (DelaToga?) Now Featuring Degen Bullrings For Your Disposable Income & Derision 🐎 (Missing GB MoCS) (1 Viewer)

Turns out that Beyer and Serling both liked Medina Spirit.  I mean his Beyers were right there with the other top candidates.  I just didn't like how he was absolutely crushed in his last 2 by Life is Good and Rock Your World by 8 and 4 lengths respectively.  Got wired against and made no ground in the stretch - now going longer? No thanks.  And 12-1 didn't seem like a great price to me.  What I didn't count take into account was the possibility that Medina Spirit would get the lead even though he was boatraced in the last 2.  Life is Good was out and everyone knew Rock your World was likely a win or nothing horse.  To be fair it wasn't an uncontested lead.  Soup and Sandwich went after him and faded to dead last.  It looked like Mandaloun, Hot Rod Charlie and Essential Quality were all going to go by him at the 1/8th pole.  None did.  None changed position from the mile call on.  Haven't seen final splits but visually they all sort of staggered home.  Which brings me to the next point.  Medina Spirit may be underrated going into the next one by default.  I don't know if any of the other contenders move forward except Rock your World, and he'll still be a crapshoot.  And it doesn't look like any of these want any part of 1 1/2 in the Belmont.  New shooters will be lining up for both races.  I do think the top 4 come back for the Preakness as it's all of their best shots to win a triple crown race.  Derby form typically holds.  Wouldn't like any of them to win in the Belmont.  I would expect Hot Rod Charlie especially to go after Medina Spirit early.  Was sort of bummed that Prat didn't have HRC 3rd early vs 5th.  He needed to hook the leader at the top of the lane and didn't.  My bet is they get aggressive early.

Will be interested to see if Rock your World and Highly Motivated go in the Preakness.  Those are the two who could come back and run a better race next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to a very good interview last night on XM.  Forgot who the horse racing analyst was, but he said the reason Baffert is so successful in the Derby is like D Wayne Lukas he trains his horses hard. Doesn't baby them.  Not happy with just getting to the race like most owners, he's there to win it. So he trains all of his horses really hard with works and gallop outs to increase stamina and get the Derby distance.  The fallout out is his owners know that in the process he'll have more horses not make it, no matter how talented.  More injuries that may take them out of the Triple Crown running at any time.  When you see a 5th stringer like Medina Spirit win from his barn it shows you just how good his entire crop usually is.  How good was Life is Good? How good was Charlatan the year before? Monsters - the kind that could have won him more triple crowns.  It was an interesting take.

RYW, HRC, KA all skipping the Preakness.

Cox on the fence with Mandy/EQ. 

Pletcher is none too fond of this 2nd leg ... but i wonder if he'd take a shot now with Malathaat?

Swiss Skydiver offed Authentic here last year - something to consider, especially with the 3 i listed above passing. 

regular Mal pilot Johnny V would not be available, obviously, as he's sittin' on Medina Spirit. 

Listened to a very good interview last night on XM.  Forgot who the horse racing analyst was, but he said the reason Baffert is so successful in the Derby is like D Wayne Lukas he trains his horses hard. Doesn't baby them.  Not happy with just getting to the race like most owners, he's there to win it. So he trains all of his horses really hard with works and gallop outs to increase stamina and get the Derby distance.  The fallout out is his owners know that in the process he'll have more horses not make it, no matter how talented.  More injuries that may take them out of the Triple Crown running at any time.  When you see a 5th stringer like Medina Spirit win from his barn it shows you just how good his entire crop usually is.  How good was Life is Good? How good was Charlatan the year before? Monsters - the kind that could have won him more triple crowns.  It was an interesting take.
no accident that they both came from the quarterhorses (altho a LOT of bums from the QH world were subsequently engaged by TB owners with little result). it's not an awfully complicated notion to imagine that a racehorse's excellence lies in his speed, but neither was the concept that on-base % is more important than batting avg in baseball or the devastatingly complex basketball theory that treys add 50% more to one's total than 2-pt shots, but those both took decades to rule the day in their sports

RYW, HRC, KA all skipping the Preakness.

Cox on the fence with Mandy/EQ. 

Pletcher is none too fond of this 2nd leg ... but i wonder if he'd take a shot now with Malathaat?

Swiss Skydiver offed Authentic here last year - something to consider, especially with the 3 i listed above passing. 

regular Mal pilot Johnny V would not be available, obviously, as he's sittin' on Medina Spirit. 
Not enough time for Malathaat IMO. I can see why the others are skipping. Privman said Midnight Bourbon is interesting if he goes. One of the few who did anything after a poor start. Yeah Mike Smith - if you would have gunned for the lead like you said maybe Medina Spitit isn’t wearing roses 

Not enough time for Malathaat IMO.  
yeah ... i was floatin' it because i know the ownership was quite vocal about wanting to have a shot at the Derby, though also bemoaning the fact that accruing the needed points necessitated running vs the boys in the qualifying preps. 

the past year feels like a decade has passed - i forgot there for a second that Swiss Skydiver took down Authentic last year in a more staggered time frame ... world sure was upside down. 

Rachel was last to try, and win (besting Mal's pop, Curlin, interestingly enough) ... so there is precedent, albeit 12 years ago.  

Privman said Midnight Bourbon is interesting if he goes. One of the few who did anything after a poor start. Yeah Mike Smith - if you would have gunned for the lead like you said maybe Medina Spitit isn’t wearing roses 
that Louisiana Derby coming back as one of the strongest preps we've seen in quite awhile ... 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th 👀

cool story about an all-time great rider: 

"I came to Florida with almost no money, my plan was to work as a groom or something until I can save up some money to buy my riding equipment. so I start learning how to ride, but I meet this guy John Velazquez & I told him what my plan was; later that day he call me and gave me a signed blank check and told me go to the tack shop and get everything you need and don’t get concerned on how much money you spend (it’s on me) good luck!

After I got going I try to pay him back so many times, and he will not take money from me, he told me that was a gift . I always wonder what would've happened if back then I start working as a groom or something, sometimes you get into a routine and may very well never snap out of it and accomplish your dream (MAYBE) Thank you always, Mr.John Velazquez"

- Josue Arce

My wife and two daughters and I all sat down to eat and just missed the derby by minutes. After watching the replay I put YouTube on the TV and showed them Secretariat at the 1973 Belmont stakes  and they rolled their eyes like they normally do at almost everything I say (they’re teenagers), but halfway in they were silent and in awe, not even eating their food. 

Im not even a big horse guy but that replay gives me goosebumps and almost makes me weep every single time I watch it. Lol, I had to do everything I could to not choke up in front of them. Truly one of the greatest performances of all time. 

My wife and two daughters and I all sat down to eat and just missed the derby by minutes. After watching the replay I put YouTube on the TV and showed them Secretariat at the 1973 Belmont stakes  and they rolled their eyes like they normally do at almost everything I say (they’re teenagers), but halfway in they were silent and in awe, not even eating their food. 

Im not even a big horse guy but that replay gives me goosebumps and almost makes me weep every single time I watch it. Lol, I had to do everything I could to not choke up in front of them. Truly one of the greatest performances of all time. 
"HE IS MOVING LIKE A TREMENDOUS MACHINE" as the wind whipped flag comes into frame ... it's one of the most enduring moments of all-time, definitely tops in the game. 

still jaw-dropping after all these years ✌

"HE IS MOVING LIKE A TREMENDOUS MACHINE" as the wind whipped flag comes into frame ... it's one of the most enduring moments of all-time, definitely tops in the game. 

still jaw-dropping after all these years ✌
I’m currently scouring the interwebz for a large print to frame. So difficult to find stuff online these days. Everything is too small or mounted to some crappy oak backboard with a cheapo brass nameplate. I’m also not paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars. 

ETA -if anyone else is interested this seems like a pretty high quality reprint.

Pretty cool shirt.

I get something in my head and then spend hours going down the rabbit hole 

i get weepy every time i think back to, just before driving cross-country the spring of '84, calling Claiborne Farms and using the fact that i was a "breeder" - minor partner in some mares who'd been covered by Claiborne sires - to be allowed to visit Big Red in his paddock when i passed thru Kentucky. when we drove up, he was at the far corner of a hillock, enjoying some shade. as if on cue, he came out into the sun to dawdle & daisypick as if we were no big deal and then thundered down his acre upon us. he was 14yo (55-60 for a human) at the time, not as lean as when he was young, but looked like he still wanted to run thru a brick wall and still absolutely could. i had hoped i'd get to brush against that famous blaze, but that wasn't regal enough, i guess. i'll never be as overwhelmed by a physical presence as i was on the day that chestnut seemed greater than gold.

I’m currently scouring the interwebz for a large print to frame. So difficult to find stuff online these days. Everything is too small or mounted to some crappy oak backboard with a cheapo brass nameplate. I’m also not paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars. 

ETA -if anyone else is interested this seems like a pretty high quality reprint.

Pretty cool shirt.

I get something in my head and then spend hours going down the rabbit hole 
My 2017 Ram 6.7L lifted turbo diesel is named "Big Red" somewhat in his honor. That friggin' horse is the epitome of the words "turbo diesel" in my book.

interesting Big Red facts:

- the avg equine heart is 9-10 lbs. Secretariat's weighed in at over 21.

- while his Belmont was awesome, his Derby may have been even more impressive. only classic race i know of on dirt where a horse ran each quarter mile faster than the previous one -  25.2, 24, 23.8, 23.4, and 23.

- it's a terrible chewing gum

growing up i kinda remember secretariat live.  i remember ruffian much more and saw her run once or twice in person.  i remember watching her break down in that stupid match race cause she got spooked by some damn birds.  yes a filly, but was never behind in any of her races at any announcer call.  i don’t recall a whip being used or her even being challenged.  right up there for me with cigar and ap indy as all time faves.

EQ out the Preakness 

ergo, your top 4 Derby favorites (EQ, RYW, HRC, KA) all skip Pimlico. 

if Medina Spirit takes the 2nd leg, he's gonna have a ton of well rested horse flesh standing in his way for the Crown - along with those four, it looks like Pletcher is considering Mal for the first Saturday in June, as well.  Toddfather in B'awlmore? meh ... but, at Big Sandy? yeah, he's good. 

Yeah Cox hinted at Mandaloun running in the Preakness and EQ in the Belmont.  Not the toughest Preakness field. Nobody likes 2 week turnarounds. You only run back if your horse is doing well or if you think he can’t get a mile and a half and the Preakness distance is a better fit. It’s going to be interesting though. It’s obvious that the way to beat Medina Spirit is to get in front of him. Can’t sit back 

Is there going to be enough speed to where someone can get in front of the derby winner? Seems like it could be a determining factor.

Is there going to be enough speed to where someone can get in front of the derby winner? Seems like it could be a determining factor.
the switch to Irad should help facilitate that with Midnight Bourbon. 

Concert Tour is gonna run - and him and Caddooo hooked up in speed duels down in Oaklawn - he's one who could set the fractions at Pimlico - Baffert trained, though ... so grain of salt. 

gotta check the new shooters out, too. 

Mandaloun & Caddooo OUT. 

:deadhorse:
Bummed that Mandaloun is out. I think the bet is going to be do you think Medina Spirit blanks off 2 weeks rest or not. If yes could be a bigger payoff. Seems less hearty than many of those bigger Baffert horses who have won the first two legs of the TC. No way does Baffert let Concert Tour get in front of Medina Spirit early. 

Concert Tour

... and how he bowed off the trail. 

had a real ding dong stretch battle with Baffert stablemate Freedom Fighter in his '21 debut, taking down the GII San Vicente (7f).

he was being touted as a top 3 Derby contender at this point, especially after the defections of Life is Good and Greatest Honour ... CT was gonna be the '21 Baffert to keep an eye on. 

shipped to Oaklawn (as is BB's wont lately), and was ready to build on his San Vicente and start accruing Derby pernts with his first stretch out (1m 1/16th) in the Rebel. 

these replays demonstrate why i was so disappointed in Caddooo skipping Churchill - you'll see he's full of headstrong git-go, but Geroux held him back, allowing CT to get away on the lead - pace was honest enough -  and Joel cruised this cat home comfortably  (not one use of the stick) ... ol' Caddoo put the cue in the rack coming home, would've been interesting to see Geroux handle that first 1/2 more aggressively. 

... it would only take 4 weeks until he did - they switched tactics in the Arky ... pretty much same cast of characters as the Rebel. however, Santana rode the dream trip out the 1 hole the entire way, letting the 2 hotshots duke it out - bounced out in the stretch, and blew their doors off on SS

enough here to convince Baffert not to consider Churchill ... looked to me like a tactical error was made, deciding to sit off the lead, (much like when he was held back a bit in the San Vicente, but the tomato cans in with him that day were not up to the task)  ... no excuse, though - he had the perfect rating trip right on Caddooo's hip, passed him in the stretch - but faded to 3rd. 

Medina Spirit has only seen the arses of 2 horses 1) Life is Good (who was shaping up as the crop's best), and 2) RYW - who ran a perfect S.A. Derby. 

CT's only path is to get out, would love to see Caddoo up in here to give some company - i cannot see a scenario where they sit off of MS .... what does Baffert do?  yep. 

btw, Smiff booted off Midnight Bourbon, but picks up the CT mount for Pimlico (Rosario piloted all previous 4).

watching the presser now, he was called back to Churchill to appear with his attorney ... Medina Spirit tested positive for betamethasone, an allowed anti-inflamatory substance - but much too big of a dose. he adamantly denies allegations, says "IT DIDN'T COME FROM US"

he looks haggard, and is bemoaning how he is now a target, wondering why "he's the only one" 

... disqualification is now on the table, pending further investigation.  

doesn't look good at all. 

legal dose of Betamethasone: up to 10 picograms. 

Medina Spirit in the Derby: 21 picograms. 

:grad:

there ya go. 

"I got the biggest gut-punch in racing for something that I didn’t do,” Baffert said of the failed test. “And it’s disturbing. It’s an injustice to the horse. ... I don’t know what’s going on in racing right now, but there’s something not right. I don’t feel embarrassed. I feel like I was wronged. We’re going to do our own investigation. We’re going to be transparent with the racing commission, like we’ve always been.

“He’s a great horse. He doesn’t deserve this. He ran a gallant race,” Baffert added.

The only horse to be disqualified for medication after winning the Derby is Dancer’s Image in 1968.

Medina Spirit is Baffert’s fifth horse known to have failed a drug test in just over a year. Flanked by his attorney Craig Robertson, Baffert said his barn was told that Medina Spirit was found to have 21 picograms of betamethasone — slightly more than double what the trainer said was the allowable amount — in a postrace sample.

Betamethasone is the same drug that was found in the system of Gamine, another Baffert-trained horse who finished third in the Kentucky Oaks last September. Gamine was eventually disqualified from that finish because of that test and Baffert was fined $1,500. Betamethasone is legal under Kentucky racing rules, though it must be cleared 14 days before a horse races.

“I’m not a conspiracy theorist,” Baffert said. “I know everybody is not out to get me, but there’s definitely something wrong. Why is it happening to me? You know, there’s problems in racing, but it’s not Bob Baffert.”

Mandaloun, which lost the Derby by a half-length, is not going to the Preakness. If Mandaloun is declared the Kentucky Derby winner, that would mean the Triple Crown pursuit for 2021 would end right there. It is unknown how long Kentucky officials will take to determine whether the results of the Derby should stand or will change.

Baffert was planning to saddle Medina Spirit and Concert Tour in the Preakness, going for a record eighth victory in that race. Except for 2020 when the races were run out of order due to the coronavirus pandemic, Baffert is undefeated with a Derby winner in the Preakness, which holds its post position draw Monday.

Last month, Baffert won an appeals case before the Arkansas Racing Commission after he had been suspended by Oaklawn Park stewards for 15 days for a pair of positive drug tests involving two of his horses that won at the track on May 2, 2020. The horses tested positive for the painkiller lidocaine, which Baffert said they were exposed to inadvertently.

But as Baffert insisted that horse racing can do better preventing doping, he also acknowledged the spotlight.

“I know I’m the most scrutinized trainer and have millions of eyes on me. But you know what? I don’t have a problem with that,” Baffert said. “The last thing I want to do is do something that would jeopardize the greatest 2 minutes in sports.”

The failed drug test is just another in a long series of events shadowing the sport — and the Derby, its best known and most prestigious race — in recent years.

Maximum Security crossed the line first in the 2019 Kentucky Derby before being disqualified by Churchill Downs stewards for interference in what was an unprecedented move. Country House, which crossed the line second in that race, is now considered the winner.

In March 2020, Jason Servis — who was Maximum Security’s trainer — was part of a sweeping indictment that involved trainers, veterinarians and pharmacists in a horse doping ring. Baffert faced the doping allegations in Arkansas and Kentucky last year, and now, this.

“I’m worried about our sport,” Baffert said. “Our sport, we’ve taken a lot of hits as a sport. These are pretty serious accusations here, but we’re going to get to the bottom of it and find out. We know we didn’t do it."

I was telling my family today how somebody I knew online would have made a boatload with the 2nd/3rd/4th. I just recalled from memory -- haven't checked the thread.

Truly a bummer, Judge Smails.

Gosh darn it all to heck.

I was telling my family today how somebody I knew online would have made a boatload with the 2nd/3rd/4th. I just recalled from memory -- haven't checked the thread.

Truly a bummer, Judge Smails.

Gosh darn it all to heck.
not for nuttin' ... but i pretty much hit the ice cold trifecta!!

(in the unlikely event of a Mandaloun DQ, that is ... )

:lmao:

fallout, con't:

Preakness Draw was supposed to be today, but has been pushed back to tomorrow afternoon circa 4:30ish ... this is being done in order to "assess all information and findings coming from Kentucky regarding Medina Spirit"

we already know Mandaloun is not running, so there will be zilch to do with any Triple Crown talk this year if the board officially DQs MS ... then it's up the the Stronach group (oh, the IRONY here) to act in racing's best interest regarding Baffert being able to run any horses in Maryland (Churchill Downs has already suspended him).

fwiw, MS is currently sitting at a very juicy 7/2 for the Preakness.

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread