What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are Aliens Visiting Us? (1 Viewer)

They’re probably just waiting for Martin to finish the Game of Thrones books before wiping us out. 
We should be hooking that fat ******* up to every life sustaining machine we have then because when he kicks it, and lets be honest here, he's not Adonis...when he kicks it, who will be more mad? The aliens or us?

They’re probably just waiting for Martin to finish the Game of Thrones books before wiping us out. 
We should be hooking that fat ******* up to every life sustaining machine we have then because when he kicks it, and lets be honest here, he's not Adonis...when he kicks it, who will be more mad? The aliens or us?

This has been my general contention for a long time. Over the last couple years my thinking on this changed largely due to analyzing how quickly our technology is progressing at this point. It wouldn’t take a civilization to be much older than us say a few hundred years, thousand years, to be able to possess technology that wouldn’t even be recognizable to us it’s so far advanced.
Perhaps civilizations destroy themselves before they get to the point of possessing technology capable of interstellar travel.  Maybe civilizations lose interest in space travel as they advance.  Perhaps there are other things barring interstellar travel beyond time/distance (a huge hurdle in itself) that we aren't aware of.

Perhaps they really are alien spacecraft.  If they are this advanced certainly they would be able to avoid detection if they wanted to. And if they don't care about being seen why are they bouncing around, quickly disappearing, playing cat & mouse?  Why not just land a ship and say "take me to your leader"?

The reason I choose to believe it is the US military leaking this stuff is because it is most simple explanation. 

However I admit the only thing that I know is that I know very little so I am not ruling it out.

Perhaps civilizations destroy themselves before they get to the point of possessing technology capable of interstellar travel.  Maybe civilizations lose interest in space travel as they advance.  Perhaps there are other things barring interstellar travel beyond time/distance (a huge hurdle in itself) that we aren't aware of.

Perhaps they really are alien spacecraft.  If they are this advanced certainly they would be able to avoid detection if they wanted to. And if they don't care about being seen why are they bouncing around, quickly disappearing, playing cat & mouse?  Why not just land a ship and say "take me to your leader"?

The reason I choose to believe it is the US military leaking this stuff is because it is most simple explanation. 

However I admit the only thing that I know is that I know very little so I am not ruling it out.
Or the Dark Forest theory from "The Three Body Problem" Trilogy:  There is life everywhere in the galaxy, but owing to exponential growth and limited resources, the incentive is very high for each galactic civilization to preemptively kill any others. The only thing stopping this is the lack of knowledge of others' locations.

So... shhhh.

All valid and possible scenarios,  that's exactly why this topic is so fascinating to me.  I'm not 100% where I land yet but as I mentioned in my post on the first page it's just so cool we're living in a time where this is being discussed seriously and openly.  

What would society’s reaction be at this point if told there is other life out there, and it’s been here?  I saw this thread yesterday and rewatched “Arrival”, which I really loved the first time.  This time I was rewatching with a specific interest towards the reactions to the events/situation.  Initially we tried to work together as humans, but that fell apart.  We became very hostile with them, though they weren’t hostile to us.  There were mass suicides.  What would the religious reaction be, from each religion?  If told “take me to your leader”, who would that be?  

To think that we could be living in a time that changes the entire course of human history is endlessly exciting imo.  
To be honest with you I think it would be good for us to find evidence of life on another planet.  Even if it were microbes on Mars, a satellite of Jupiter or Saturn, asteroid, etc.   Just something to show us hat we aren't alone in the universe and maybe we should put aside our difference for the good of humankind.

Ah who am I kidding?  If we found microbes on Mars we would either try to eat them or turn them into pets.

To be honest with you I think it would be good for us to find evidence of life on another planet.  Even if it were microbes on Mars, a satellite of Jupiter or Saturn, asteroid, etc.   Just something to show us hat we aren't alone in the universe and maybe we should put aside our difference for the good of humankind.

Ah who am I kidding?  If we found microbes on Mars we would either try to eat them or turn them into pets.
Couldn't agree more and exactly how I feel.  Hopefully it would bring us more together as a species to realize we are far more alike then we are different.  The implications for organized religion would be interesting to watch too (though I don't think it changes the larger question of a "God" or "Deity")

Couldn't agree more and exactly how I feel.  Hopefully it would bring us more together as a species to realize we are far more alike then we are different.  The implications for organized religion would be interesting to watch too (though I don't think it changes the larger question of a "God" or "Deity")
Agreed.  And might even add some perspective on what an "angel" or "demon" is.

Godsbrother said:
I am absolutely certain there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe.  I just think the vastness of space makes it unlikely we'll ever be contacted by them.
Moreover, there's the variable of time. The universe is some 13 billion years old. Millions of intelligent civilizations could have existed in that period, all over the universe. But if any of this is evidence that we have been visited by intelligent extra-terrestrial life, then that would mean that not only have they found us, but that their civilization also exists simultaneously with ours. That makes the odds even smaller.  

dkp993 said:
The organized religion thing actually scares me more than any alien. Some would move on but a lot would go f’ing insane. The really religious people define their entire lives around it, I don’t think pulling the rug out would enlighten them, they would double down hard. 

I also don’t think it would necessarily change the larger question of God either, but we still have a very self-centered version of religion in the west. Jesus died for us, not mork from ork.

Last edited by a moderator:
The organized religion thing actually scares me more than any alien. Some would move on but a lot would go f’ing insane. The really religious people define their entire lives around it, I don’t think pulling the rug out would enlighten them, they would double down hard. 

I also don’t think it would necessarily change the larger question of God either, but we still have a very self-centered version of religion in the west. Jesus died for us, not mork from ork.
As a believer, that's an interesting thought. I guess I never really gave it much thought as far as Jesus and aliens. I'll have to ponder that.

As for your first statement, kinda scares me too. I live in the bible belt and there are some folks that spit fire & brimstone when you question our existence in the universe. I don't get it but I don't blindly follower their lead either. It's hard for me to imagine us being the only living, thinking beings in the universe but that still doesn't negate the God argument. I still believe because no one has ever been able to tell me what happened right before the Big Bang. Maybe I'll be more skeptical of God when that is answered but there is still a void there that God fits into for me.

As a believer, that's an interesting thought. I guess I never really gave it much thought as far as Jesus and aliens. I'll have to ponder that.

As for your first statement, kinda scares me too. I live in the bible belt and there are some folks that spit fire & brimstone when you question our existence in the universe. I don't get it but I don't blindly follower their lead either. It's hard for me to imagine us being the only living, thinking beings in the universe but that still doesn't negate the God argument. I still believe because no one has ever been able to tell me what happened right before the Big Bang. Maybe I'll be more skeptical of God when that is answered but there is still a void there that God fits into for me
Also a believer, and I think I can say firmly "aliens" would not negate that.  Nor would it effect my belief in Christ.  For God so loved "the world."  I believe that is this world.  Even when I was a kid, I remember telling my Evangelical pastor Dad I couldn't believe all of God's attention was on this little planet in a huge universe.  Would not shock me to find that there are other God stories in other far away places.  

I also concede that aliens could eff up some ess for a lot of devout people (of many different faiths really) whose perspective is not as curious as mine.

As for your first statement, kinda scares me too. I live in the bible belt and there are some folks that spit fire & brimstone when you question our existence in the universe. I don't get it but I don't blindly follower their lead either. It's hard for me to imagine us being the only living, thinking beings in the universe but that still doesn't negate the God argument. I still believe because no one has ever been able to tell me what happened right before the Big Bang. Maybe I'll be more skeptical of God when that is answered but there is still a void there that God fits into for me.
That’s exactly why I separated organized religion from God in my post about the discovery of other life making things interesting for us as a species.  

As someone who doesn’t subscribe to organized religion I don’t feel that precludes me from being open to there being a force out there greater than my understanding.  

I still believe because no one has ever been able to tell me what happened right before the Big Bang. Maybe I'll be more skeptical of God when that is answered but there is still a void there that God fits into for me.
Definitely don’t want to turn this into a theological discussion but you could make the same argument about God: no one has been able to tell me what happened before God came to exist.

So if there are aliens would it be one species or would there be millions of species on their planet like on earth?

So if there are aliens would it be one species or would there be millions of species on their planet like on earth?
Great question, I think logic would dictate millions. Like earth I would imagine where it is hospitable for life it will explode in all shapes and fashions.  

ekbeats said:
It’s not US aircraft.  There would be no good reason to keep all that secret.  The value of a new weapon is not do much in using it, but in showing its capability to your enemies.
Unless it's still in R&D. 

But Mellon (Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence under Clinton and Bush 43) seemed to be pretty sure it wasn't ours. 

Definitely don’t want to turn this into a theological discussion but you could make the same argument about God: no one has been able to tell me what happened before God came to exist.
Yup.

As near as I can tell you have to have a belief that either everything* has always existed (and logically will always exist) and/or something materialized out of nothing.

"everything" = the atoms and smaller particles that make up the universe, not the form they are currently in.

In terms of life - I think we have to be open to life forms that we can't really imagine right now.  We associate "life" with the ability to live in an earth-like environment.

I imagine its possible for "life" to develop in such a way where an earth-like atmosphere would be toxic to other life forms, and they  require different elements to survive.

Great question, I think logic would dictate millions. Like earth I would imagine where it is hospitable for life it will explode in all shapes and fashions.  
I never thought of this before either, but we just got a puppy and reading this thread made me wonder if "aliens" had pets.

I gave up on him. We got an ending from HBO

renesauz said:
I gave up on him. We got an ending from HBO
Yup, a crap one.  That's why some people are still holding out for the books (and hopefully a better wrap up, but I have the feeling that the core ideas will still be there). 

Users who are viewing this thread