What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flying into LAX for vacation. Need suggestions for lodging... (1 Viewer)

Helaire-ious

Footballguy
GF and I are doing a drive the PCH vacation late June. Flying into LAX & leaving from San Francisco. Week long trip.

Of course, we won't know for sure what area we will be in at the end of each day, but I'd like to at least book lodging for the first night. Any suggestions? We arrive around 1:30 PM PST. We're going to rent bikes & bike fro Venice Beach to Santa Monica & back & who knows what else for day one.

how much do you want to spend?

one possibility, for night one, would be to drive out of LA.  north malibu, or somewhere off the 101 in the thousand oaks area

GF and I are doing a drive the PCH vacation late June. Flying into LAX & leaving from San Francisco. Week long trip.

Of course, we won't know for sure what area we will be in at the end of each day, but I'd like to at least book lodging for the first night. Any suggestions? We arrive around 1:30 PM PST. We're going to rent bikes & bike fro Venice Beach to Santa Monica & back & who knows what else for day one.
Interested to hear where you end up stopping along the way, we did SF to Big Sur a couple years back....great time.  :blackdot:

I prefer funky old beach hotels over deluxe resorts for a one night stay. Two I'd recommend in the area are:

Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach. Tough to beat free rentals of bikes, boogie boards and beach chairs. It's a few blocks from the beach and has a pool. 

Huntington Surf Inn in Huntington Beach.  It's on the PCH a few blocks from the pier. The feature here are the uniquely painted rooms; you'll know you're not in the Marriott.

I prefer funky old beach hotels over deluxe resorts for a one night stay. Two I'd recommend in the area are:

Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach. Tough to beat free rentals of bikes, boogie boards and beach chairs. It's a few blocks from the beach and has a pool. 

Huntington Surf Inn in Huntington Beach.  It's on the PCH a few blocks from the pier. The feature here are the uniquely painted rooms; you'll know you're not in the Marriott.
Gods I loved Manhattan Beach back in the day

LOL @ "the" PCH.

And I would skip Huntington Beach.  Unless you're into "White Lives Matter" protests.  There are much nicer beach towns to hit than that sprawling stretch of a tourist trap with high rise hotels.  Way better options abound.

After your bike tour I'd head up to Santa Barbara for dinner and lodging.  Pretty much anything along Cabrillo in SB will be more than sufficient.  

how much do you want to spend?

one possibility, for night one, would be to drive out of LA.  north malibu, or somewhere off the 101 in the thousand oaks area
I agree with getting out of LA but I would go further north than Thousand Oaks and look at Ventura or Santa Barbara (depending on what time you are getting out of LA.  

I agree with getting out of LA but I would go further north than Thousand Oaks and look at Ventura or Santa Barbara (depending on what time you are getting out of LA.  
he wants to do SM/Venice first.  i was keeping the drive shorter because of this.  otherwise, totally agree

For me I would do day 1 in Santa Monica/Venice and just stay there for the first night.  Leave the next morning. Tons of great places in Santa Monica depending on budget.  Next morning I’d drive PCH through Malibu them turn right at Pepperdine and go through Mulholland to 101 N and continue on. If you do want to drive north I would recommend the Westlake Inn in Westlake Village. Cool vibe and great outdoor wine bar connected to it.  Don’t like hotel options in Ventura. Good stop for breakfast or lunch or beach only. Santa Barbara works. Bacara if budget allows. If not you have more hotel options anyway than Ventura. 

$500 a night? Wowzas!
Shutters I stayed at for work was spendy but they have apparently raised the prices  even more  :lol:  Paying for location for sure. You are right on the beach.

The Georgian was less for sure last time I was there. Location almost as good if you are looking to stay in that area. 

Last edited by a moderator:
DA RAIDERS said:
i would go to the beach and bounce.  stay anywhere nice-ish 1-2 hours north.  then start your trip early the next day
agreed, and maybe more specifically, check out the cliffside inn, punta gorda, away from the bright lights, between ventura and santa barbara. great place to wake up, coffee and whatever at the cliffside pool. it's adjacent to a long walking pier that connects to a small island. super peaceful. minutes from the semi-famous rincon surfbreak for watching the early morning "pros" before heading north. 

edit -- cliffhouse inn, not cliffside... it's been awhile...

Cliffside Inn, Chateau Marmont, The Georgian  or Crowne Plaza in Ventura anyone? Other suggestions in Santa Barbara area?

Cliffside Inn, Chateau Marmont  or The Georgian Hotel anyone? Other suggestions in Santa Barbara area?
depends how much of a day you make of, venice/sm  if you do all day and are tired.  the georgian.  otherwise, i'd go cliffside, night 1.  and then visit SB the next day, but stay further north, night 2. 

depends how much of a day you make of, venice/sm  if you do all day and are tired.  the georgian.  otherwise, i'd go cliffside, night 1.  and then visit SB the next day, but stay further north, night 2. 
We're planning to fly into LAX (arrive around 2pm) & end up in the santa barbara area for night 1 & stay there.

Crowne plaza in Ventura a better option?

We're planning to fly into LAX (arrive around 2pm) & end up in the santa barbara area for night 1 & stay there.

Crowne plaza in Ventura a better option?
anything will work, for that first night.  if you want to wake up ocean front, you can.  but, it you're just going to wake up and head to SB, who cares :shrug:   what day are you landing?  2 o'clock could translate into a 2 hour drive to ventura.  but i highly recommend getting out of LA, day 1.

cliff house inn is old and funky, but you're on the water.  been a while since i've been by there.

anything will work, for that first night.  if you want to wake up ocean front, you can.  but, it you're just going to wake up and head to SB, who cares :shrug:   what day are you landing?  2 o'clock could translate into a 2 hour drive to ventura.  but i highly recommend getting out of LA, day 1.

cliff house inn is old and funky, but you're on the water.  been a while since i've been by there.
Land on a Monday. I think the plan is to head out of SB & go north on day 2...unless we missed a bunch to do in SB

Land on a Monday. I think the plan is to head out of SB & go north on day 2...unless we missed a bunch to do in SB
sounds good.   get at least to ventura, night one.  knock out SB, and head north day 2.  smart.  

if you're inclined to go atv-ing.  pismo is incredible.

OK spot.  Right on the beach with a little pier there.  There aren't many hotel options in Ventura.
Not sure how far we will get on day 2 so who knows where we'll be able to stay for that night. I'm a little worried about not knowing where we'll stay the rest of the trip, but I'm sure we''l find decent places each night.

Users who are viewing this thread