What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

States Ranked... Your Top 10? (1 Viewer)

Probably not a good way to do it. But... https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1382042516594307073?s=20

What's your top 10?
I feel like there’s not enough guidance/parameters here. There are plenty of states that I’d rank differently for visiting versus living in. For instance, Hawaii is very high on my list of states I’d like to visit, but the incredibly high cost of living, high cost to travel to other places, etc.,  lowers it substantially on my list of places I’d like to live. Other states like Wyoming are similar. Awesome national parks and other places great to visit, but general lack of other cultural activities and lack of access to top notch medical resources lower it considerably for me as far as places I’d prefer to live.

I’m shocked Florida ranked so high, considering the amount of crap we seem to take from everybody else, whether it’s Florida Man or if a hurricane spins up. But I would rather live here anyway, because the weather we have in winter is so much better than everyone else’s.

Missouri is a much better state than it is given credit for.  Tons of outdoor activities, two mid-sized cities with history, culture and sports and is usually in the 20's in every state metric that exists.  I consider it the most middle state of the country.

I'm not saying it is top 10, but it is a far cry better than #43.

My personal top 10 (in no particular order):

• Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Tennessee
  • North Carolina
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Michigan
  • New York
  • Georgia
  • Florida
However, there are a lot of states I haven't been to.  I've only been in California for 1 day and never been to the Northwest or New England.

Missouri is a much better state than it is given credit for.  Tons of outdoor activities, two mid-sized cities with history, culture and sports and is usually in the 20's in every state metric that exists.  I consider it the most middle state of the country.

I'm not saying it is top 10, but it is a far cry better than #43.
I have traveled to different parts of Missouri - Kansas City, St Louis, Hannibal, Herman, and really enjoyed what I saw. I agree that it's very underrated.

:lmao:  we're #50! :clap:

There's no place I'd rather live right now, with kids in school. (Madison city schools, near Huntsville) but please keep the "secret" :lol:

My top ten, by tier taken as a whole (* indicates we've lived there). This is only states I feel confident giving an opinion about. 

1. Tennessee*, North Carolina*, colorado

2. Kansas*, Michigan*, Georgia, virginia*

3. South Carolina, ohio, kentucky

I think we'd really enjoy Washington, idaho and Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that both "North" states outrank their "South" partners. 

Texas is right about where I would expect it. 

My top ten, by tier taken as a whole (* indicates we've lived there). This is only states I feel confident giving an opinion about. 

1. Tennessee*, North Carolina*, colorado

2. Kansas*, Michigan*, Georgia, virginia*

3. South Carolina, ohio, kentucky

I think we'd really enjoy Washington, idaho and Oregon.
I've been all over Kansas and spent significant time in Wichita and the KC suburbs.  Outside of the latter, Kansas is whole lot of nothing.  Wichita is a crappy city, Topeka is a hole, Lawrence is just KU's campus, Hays is in BFE (don't get me started on the whole of western Kansas), Emporia and Pittsburg are small, old and uninteresting.  You don't have any mountains, few rivers, no caves, no forests, no lakes, etc.  Just a bunch of fields and nothingness.

Missouri is light years ahead of Kansas.  :pokey:

A nice oval along the state borders of WV/VA/KY/NC/TN/SC/GA is my ideal location.

WI/VT/NH round out my top 10.

of the 35ish or so i've visited, ranked as per my experiences doing biz, and the people i encountered:

Texas

Kentucky

Montana

Wyoming

New Hampshire

Maine

Tennessee 

South Carolina

Alabama

Utah 

I feel like Virginia is either super densely populated really expensive areas mostly in the north, or more rural very “southern” living in the south of Virginia. Personally, I’m not sure either appeals to me a lot.

But that could largely be colored by:

a) my general distaste of the greater DC area and

b) my irritation at the traffic on the 95 corridor between Baltimore and Richmond every time I drive down to my family’s beach house in NC.

I feel like Virginia is either super densely populated really expensive areas mostly in the north, or more rural very “southern” living in the south of Virginia. Personally, I’m not sure either appeals to me a lot.

b) my irritation at the traffic on the 95 corridor between Baltimore and Richmond every time I drive down to my family’s beach house in NC.
I live in Northern Virginia and I think VA is pretty overrated at #3.  I love the history aspects (lots of Civil War battlefields, Mount Vernon, Monticello, etc.) and Shenandoah National Park is nice (although pales in comparison to national parks out west). In terms of living, there are a lot of job opportunities, but cost of living is pretty high.  It is not a bad state, but #3 seems pretty high for it.

I've been all over Kansas and spent significant time in Wichita and the KC suburbs.  Outside of the latter, Kansas is whole lot of nothing.  Wichita is a crappy city, Topeka is a hole, Lawrence is just KU's campus, Hays is in BFE (don't get me started on the whole of western Kansas), Emporia and Pittsburg are small, old and uninteresting.  You don't have any mountains, few rivers, no caves, no forests, no lakes, etc.  Just a bunch of fields and nothingness.

Missouri is light years ahead of Kansas.  :pokey:
I don't actually disagree. But clearly couldn't put Missouri on my list. 

We really enjoyed our 6 years near Manhattan. But overall, you're probably right.

Lived in 5 states and traveled/stayed/worked in most western states after growing up in the midwest and vacationing many other states back east.

My favorite states without reading criteria but using my own unexplained criteria.

1. Alaska
  2. Colorado
  3. Wyoming
  4. Utah
  5. Washington
  6. Idaho
  7. Montana
  8. Ohio
  9. Pennsylvania
  10. Oregon 

Fair points. We lived in Charlottesville, and I spent 4 months near Richmond, other than that we've spent time near norfolk. Which are all pretty decent. which probably overly influences my opinion. 

Interesting that both "North" states outrank their "South" partners. 

Texas is right about where I would expect it. 
Can't really speak to the Dakota's, but I'd like to read a well reasoned argument for the state of SC over NC. I'll take the best of NC over SC, and the worst of NC is way better than the worst of SC. although we'll probably spend a lot of retirement in SC.

I've been to 46 states. Here's my top 10

California

Washington

Colorado

Michigan

Hawaii

Utah

Arizona

North Carolina

New York

Massachusetts

I prioritize outdoor landscapes, beer and good food. (haven't been to Oregon)

1. Cali - before it got crowded, it truly seemed like a gift from God. bleak as Hell, moist as love, tall as a good idea. from sea to shining sea all in one state.

2. New Mexico - keeps one humble. you can go to places that make you feel like a fleck of dust and the reason for it all at the same time.

3. Maine - raw dog paradise, if you hit it between the snow & the bugs

4. Oregon - if it didnt rain, we'd all be there

5. New York - love Manhattan, love the Hudson Valley & Finger Lakes & Montauk, loved the Woodstock & Ithaca music scenes backinaday, loooove Lake George

6. Wyoming - i'll take my Rocky Mountain paradise with 11 murderous jackholes instead of 1000s of blissjunkies like Colorado, thank you.

7. Vermont - honest, rugged, ancient

8. Wisconsin - fountain of blondes

9. Rhode Island - Boston without the pain-in-the-asses

10. Nebraska - the state that was most decent to me in my travels, both as a hippie hitchhiker when that was a Martian thing to them and when i drove Rte 20 from coast to coast as a grownup. And the Platte River breaks and Sandhills have very special beauty

1. Montana

2. Wyoming

3. Idaho

4. Washington

5. Colorado

6. Utah

7. Alaska

8. New Mexico

9.  Maine

10. Florida

Colorado is crappy.  Really.  Don't move here.  I hear Kansas is nice.
Its already been ruined by too many people. My parents/siblings live in the Denver area and it is too crowded now. It sucks driving to fishing, hunting, or skiing. Either it is too far away or too much traffic.

Wyoming, Montana, etc >>> Colorado.

Its already been ruined by too many people. My parents/siblings live in the Denver area and it is too crowded now.

Wyoming, Montana, etc >>> Colorado.
This was my first thought.  This list way overrates Colorado.  It has become California with better mountains.  Or as I like to say Colorfornia.  

This was my first thought.  This list way overrates Colorado.  It has become California with better mountains.  Or as I like to say Colorfornia.  
that's what I've been saying for like 30 years.  The problem with Colorado is all the Californians who moved there.

My top 10, in no particular order:

• Wyoming 
  • Alaska  
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • California 
  • Colorado 
  • New Hampshire/Vermont - same state, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Florida
  • Hawaii 
  • Washington/Oregon - same state, as far as I'm concerned. 
I like mountains, ocean access, or both.

that's what I've been saying for like 30 years.  The problem with Colorado is all the Californians who moved there.
The funniest thing is that Californians want to leave because of the people and then they all move to the same place with the same people and try to turn the new place into California.

I am in CA and love it where I am at (central coast half way between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo) right on the coast.  The weather is outstanding (between 65-75 for 90% of the year), no traffic at all,  and mountains, ocean, city, sports are all within a couple hours.  The only negative is taxes and idiot politicians.  

My top 10 -- just states that I've spent significant time in (can't count places that I think I'd love like Hawaii, Washington, Colorado, or Wyoming for that reason -- I've spent some time in the latter two, but haven't seen enough to fully weigh):

1. Alaska - It is not a state that I would want to live in, but the most beautiful state that I've ever visited. Vistas around every corner are just incredible.
  2. New Mexico - Underrated at #28. Food is out of this world, great culture and history, and lots of natural sites to explore.  Another one with some beautiful vistas.
  3. Maine - Coast of Maine is tough to beat. Crisp air, beauty of the ocean hitting the rocks. As the slogan says "The way life should be."
  4. Vermont - Similar to Maine with the crisp New England air, but minus the ocean and plus the Green Mountains.  
  5. California - Great cities and varied topography. Good food and culture too.
  6. New York - I'm not too much of a fan of NYC (too dense), but lots of great places once you get outside that.
  7. New Hampshire - Alright, I dig the small town New England lifestyle.  Portsmouth a nice city on the water, and love the Mount Washington/North Conway area.
  8. South Dakota - I don't really get this one at #44. The Black Hills and Badlands are incredible. More than just the Corn Palace.
  9. Virginia - I thought it was a bit high at #3, but I'll put it here.  As I mentioned, lots of great historic sites and a national park. Northern Virginia also good for day trips to museums and sites in D.C.
  10. Pennsylvania - I don't enjoy the density of Philly, but lots of great historic sites in Philly and the surrounding area. Also a number of great activities to feed a variety of interests. Lancaster area a nice low-key and family friendly area, love the history in Gettysburg, and nature in the Laurel Highlands region (including Fallingwater).

I'm a little surprised at Georgia's ranking (#9) and I can't objectively rank it as I've lived here my entire life.  I do think if you are in metro Atlanta area it's a pretty great place to live (minus the traffic).

Hey!  We're not last!!!  Suck it Alabama.  

The list maker must have had it out for AL, cause there is really no way we should be ahead.  Still, suck it Bama!

I'm a little surprised at Georgia's ranking (#9) and I can't objectively rank it as I've lived here my entire life.  I do think if you are in metro Atlanta area it's a pretty great place to live (minus the traffic).
GA and TX are too high, but not nearly as much as Nevada.  

Seriously - #4 for Nevada?  I mean, Vegas is a fun town, but the rest of the state...geesh.  

GA and TX are too high, but not nearly as much as Nevada.  

Seriously - #4 for Nevada?  I mean, Vegas is a fun town, but the rest of the state...geesh.  
Just curious why you think Georgia is too high - not saying I disagree but curious your perspective.

For me....

Pros: Weather is pretty solid (4 separate seasons unlike a lot of areas); COL is pretty good - not sure where it ranks but last I looked it wasn't bad;  Atlanta isn't a top-tier major city but I'd say it's in tier 2 and has all the things you would expect - sports teams, museums, restaurants/bars;  Atlanta suburbs are a great place for work and raising kids - lots of large companies in Atlanta across several industries;  Major airport/hub;  great location to get to all kinds of things - beach, mountains, lakes; Diversity - we have fairly large AA, Hispanic, LGBT and Indian populations - at least in metro area.

Cons:  Traffic - it can be brutal if you are stuck going in certain directions/locations;  Education - public schools are kind of crappy;  UGA;  Matt Ryan

Again, I can't objectively rank it but I see good arguments for it being in the 7-15 range somewhere.

Just curious why you think Georgia is too high - not saying I disagree but curious your perspective.

For me....

Pros: Weather is pretty solid (4 separate seasons unlike a lot of areas); COL is pretty good - not sure where it ranks but last I looked it wasn't bad;  Atlanta isn't a top-tier major city but I'd say it's in tier 2 and has all the things you would expect - sports teams, museums, restaurants/bars;  Atlanta suburbs are a great place for work and raising kids - lots of large companies in Atlanta across several industries;  Major airport/hub;  great location to get to all kinds of things - beach, mountains, lakes; Diversity - we have fairly large AA, Hispanic, LGBT and Indian populations - at least in metro area.

Cons:  Traffic - it can be brutal if you are stuck going in certain directions/locations;  Education - public schools are kind of crappy;  UGA;  Matt Ryan

Again, I can't objectively rank it but I see good arguments for it being in the 7-15 range somewhere.
I'd put Georgia lower because of the weather.  Too hot and humid.  But I'm a pale redhead who burns up if I'm in the sun for more than an hour (and would take cold weather over hot weather), which may be why my list was partial to New England and northern states (and NM, which is high desert).

I'd put Georgia lower because of the weather.  Too hot and humid.  But I'm a pale redhead who burns up if I'm in the sun for more than an hour (and would take cold weather over hot weather), which may be why my list was partial to New England and northern states (and NM, which is high desert).
Understood but as I mentioned, Georgia really is one state that gets 4 distinct seasons - especially in the northern third of the state.  Definitely avoid June-August.  And also, if you like cold and snow - you aren't getting that here either, unless you live in the mountains.

Love living in Northern Virginia.  Seasons, lots of stuff to do, many cultures, jobs, schools, parks, easy access to beaches and mountains.  DC is in the best condition it has ever been when you go downtown.  Traffic sucks but it always does where people actually want to live.  You want no traffic, sure, head to the middle of Kansas.   

The rest of Virginia is meh.  West of Richmond is nice but not a fan of anywhere else to live.

I think North Carolina is better though.  Raleigh Durham, Cary, Charlotte, etc.  It's like NOVA, but with far better weather.

You think Georgia should be lower or higher?

1. Cali - before it got crowded, it truly seemed like a gift from God. bleak as Hell, moist as love, tall as a good idea. from sea to shining sea all in one state.

2. New Mexico - keeps one humble. you can go to places that make you feel like a fleck of dust and the reason for it all at the same time.

3. Maine - raw dog paradise, if you hit it between the snow & the bugs

4. Oregon - if it didnt rain, we'd all be there

5. New York - love Manhattan, love the Hudson Valley & Finger Lakes & Montauk, loved the Woodstock & Ithaca music scenes backinaday, loooove Lake George

6. Wyoming - i'll take my Rocky Mountain paradise with 11 murderous jackholes instead of 1000s of blissjunkies like Colorado, thank you.

7. Vermont - honest, rugged, ancient

8. Wisconsin - fountain of blondes

9. Rhode Island - Boston without the pain-in-the-asses

10. Nebraska - the state that was most decent to me in my travels, both as a hippie hitchhiker when that was a Martian thing to them and when i drove Rte 20 from coast to coast as a grownup. And the Platte River breaks and Sandhills have very special beauty
Solid list with some odd additions in there.  NM at #2?  Haven't been there but eager to get there someday.   RI and NE at 9/10 - you've gotta be freaking kidding me.  

Wisconsin at #8, love it.  Except....it's not a fountain of blondes.  I grew up there.  You are confusing it with Minnesota.

Solid list with some odd additions in there.  NM at #2?  Haven't been there but eager to get there someday.   RI and NE at 9/10 - you've gotta be freaking kidding me.  

Wisconsin at #8, love it.  Except....it's not a fountain of blondes.  I grew up there.  You are confusing it with Minnesota.
my wife was from Beloit and she and her people were all damn near translucent. first time i ran away from home (13-14yo?) i made it all the way from Salem MA to the Dells before i gave in. all i remember is blonde people helping me and non-blondes being jackholes. i stick by my fountain theory

i lived 20 yrs in NM and it's a singular place. not everyone gets it

Users who are viewing this thread