What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All-NBA Best In Show Cup - Second Round (Scoobus vs Jayrod, Gally vs Wikkid, Modogg vs Mister CIA, Higgins vs Frosty) (1 Viewer)

Higgins (1970s) vs Frosty (2010s)

• Higgins (1970s) - John Lucas, Gus Williams, Julius Erving, Elvin Hayes, Artis Gilmore

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Frosty (2010s) - Rajon Rondo, Joe Johnson, Lebron James, Kevin Love, Lamarcus Aldridge

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
Team Gally:  Tony Parker, Jason Terry, Peja Stojakovic, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard

vs

Team Wikkid:  Magic Johnson, Darrell Griffith, Bernard King, Waymon Tisdale, Patrick Ewing

This is a game about a superstar vs a team with a superstar.   Team Gally is constructed to maximize it's strengths (3 pt shooting and Duncan domination).  Team Wikkid is Magic vs the world as Ewing is neutralized by Howard/Duncan and completely taken out of the game.  Team Wikkid doesn't have the interior defense (even with Ewing's presence) to handle Duncan and Howards athleticism to the rim for offensive boards.  Team Wikkid doesn't have the 3-pt game or perimeter players to take advantage of Terry & Peja on defense.  The entire team is built on scoring in the paint which is completely neutralized by Duncan (13 time all NBA Defensive team) and Howard (3 time Defensive POY).  

This is just a bad matchup for Magic's team as the firepower isn't there and it isn't set up to exploit what little weakness Team Gally has.  

Team Gally and Team wikkid are similar - three stars and two throw-ins. it appears my throw-ins click and Gally's dont, mostly.

but then, look closer. Parker aint really a star - we mightn't even remember him if the lane werent leaning left to keep watch on Duncan. more of a great caddy than a Masters golfer. and if you dont think Tim would prefer to be on the floor when Howard isn't, you dont know basketball. and i aint even sayin nuttin about Peja guarding King...

Close call - take a Magic view from above the fray (and Tony screaming his wife's name in French) and vote wikkid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Team Gally and Team wikkid are similar - three stars and two throw-ins. it appears my throw-ins click and Gally's dont, mostly.

but then, look closer. Parker aint really a star - we mightn't even remember him if the lane werent leaning left to keep watch on Duncan. more of a great caddy than a Masters golfer. and if you dont think Tim would prefer to be on the floor when Howard isn't, you dont know basketball. and i aint even sayin nuttin about Peja guarding King...

Close call - take a Magic view from above the fray (and Tony screaming his wife's name in French) and vote wikkid.
Tony knows how to win and rises to the occasion (Finals MVP) where your second best guy can't.  Plus as luck has it if you think Tony was only good because of Duncan......well Duncan is still there so Parker still gets that advantage.  

Team Gally is full of winners (every player has a title) while Team Wikkid hasn't won anything outside of Magic.  Winners vote Team  Gally!

Scoobus (2000s) - Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Bruce Bowen, Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal

vs.

Jayrod (2010s) - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Andre Iguadola, G Antetokounmpo, Al Horford

Offensively, it’s difficult sledding, as Jayrod has several plus defenders to match up with our team. Or at least it would be, except we have Shaq going up against Al Horford. Dunks, layups, frustration fouls, it wouldn’t be pretty. Eventually the desperation double teams start coming, leading to open 3s splashing in.  Defensively, Kidd never leaves Lillard’s side as the only real threat from deep. Bowen sticks with Wade to make his life a living hell, and Allen hides on Iggy. KG talks mad #### to Giannis the entire game, sitting back in the paint and daring him to shoot a 3. Shaq loosely guards Horford, who is able to do nothing in the paint. If he wants to throw up long jump shots all game, we’ll happily oblige. The Jayrods eventually lose their cool, with nothing open in the paint for their at-the-rim heavy team, settling on long jumpers that they just can’t consistently hit. A tougher match-up in the second round than I would’ve expected, but we’re able to get it done.

Scoobus (2000s) - Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Bruce Bowen, Kevin Garnett, Shaquille O'Neal

vs.

Jayrod (2010s) - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Andre Iguadola, G Antetokounmpo, Al Horford

Offensively, it’s difficult sledding, as Jayrod has several plus defenders to match up with our team. Or at least it would be, except we have Shaq going up against Al Horford. Dunks, layups, frustration fouls, it wouldn’t be pretty. Eventually the desperation double teams start coming, leading to open 3s splashing in.  Defensively, Kidd never leaves Lillard’s side as the only real threat from deep. Bowen sticks with Wade to make his life a living hell, and Allen hides on Iggy. KG talks mad #### to Giannis the entire game, sitting back in the paint and daring him to shoot a 3. Shaq loosely guards Horford, who is able to do nothing in the paint. If he wants to throw up long jump shots all game, we’ll happily oblige. The Jayrods eventually lose their cool, with nothing open in the paint for their at-the-rim heavy team, settling on long jumpers that they just can’t consistently hit. A tougher match-up in the second round than I would’ve expected, but we’re able to get it done.
I shouldn't have had to face you yet.

Good win.  I can't even vote for me here.

I shouldn't have had to face you yet.

Good win.  I can't even vote for me here.
:lmao:   And then someone votes for me. 

My only chance would be to push the pace for some easy buckets and try to tire out Shaq.  We could get some decent space on screen and roll action with Wade & Giannis, but Garnett is a pretty good P&R defender, plus Shaq will be helping in the paint.  It wouldn't be a route exactly and we could get a game or two out of 10, still no way I win a series.

Higgins vs Frosty - LeBron can't guard both Dr J & Elvin Hayes.  Whoever he is not on scores 30+ vs Love and Gilmore goes for 20 and 15 against Aldridge while the guards engage in slap fights.

File away under "you can only hope to contain Michael Jordan," as that is exactly what I have with the Glove matched up defensively on MJ (and it's discussed here:  https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/glove-vs-goat).

Unfortunately for Modogg, Olajuwon is a 30/20 player in this matchup. 

Chuck and Mate.
Hakeem would make it tough, but similar to the last match-up, the write up is pretty much the same. D.C. and LJ wouldn't be able to stop Hakeem a ton, but they can compete with rebounds. the perimeter defense of MJ, Stockton and Majerle could shut down Payton, Strickland and Ceballos, but this game would a little more competitive. Would be fun to watch too, i think Ceballos vs. Majerle would be a fun match-up, same idea of Horace Grant and LJ. 

indiv. breakdown

Stockton > Payton  - is closer than last match-up, and the steals from both of these guys would make ball handling unsafe for both teams. but Stockton has a bit better offensive prowess and basketball IQ (not to take anything away from the glove, just is Stockton has to be one of the top all time with his basketball IQ and navigating the floor)

MJ >>> Strickland  - this match-up here would be a blood bath. I see you have Payton on MJ, but than that just increases Stockton's ability to +2 navigating the offense. If MJ matches up defensively on Strickland than i am thinking he comes out of this game with like 6 points and 11 turnovers. 

Majerle > Ceballos - another close match-up, but i think Majerle edges Ceballos a little with his defensive prowess and multiple all-defense showings. Cedrcik would definitely get some, but Majerle would get his shots as well, and have a slight advantge holding Ceballos back

LJ > Horace Grant - key here is remembering LJ at his prime and how he played pre-sever back injury which hurt his legacy more than any other player i can think off the top of my head. LJ was a better all around athlete and i think would be able to score on Horace. Fun match-up, no doubt

Hakeem >> D.C.  this would hurt, but DC just has to not get obliterated off the court

vs.

Giannis and KG would be a heck of a match-up. I lean KG, but Giannis is definitely the quicker athlete and would be able to get baskets when he wanted. I think Jayrod's guards would cause problems (Dame is a bit of an enigma for me, but he is in the MVP discussion again and his last minute play is impressive, and i think Wayde would fair better than Allen, though Allen would be hitting quite a few 3s in the contest to not make a huge point differential). i think Iggy could take out Bowen, but Shaq's dominance over Horford would make this a Scoobus win. 

though i must add Horford was able to handle Embiid a few years ago. i think that was mostly due to Embiid only being in the league for a year or 2, and if we take Shaq at his prime he coul have what it takes to win this

Team Gally:  Tony Parker, Jason Terry, Peja Stojakovic, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard

vs

Team Wikkid:  Magic Johnson, Darrell Griffith, Bernard King, Waymon Tisdale, Patrick Ewing

This is a game about a superstar vs a team with a superstar.   Team Gally is constructed to maximize it's strengths (3 pt shooting and Duncan domination).  Team Wikkid is Magic vs the world as Ewing is neutralized by Howard/Duncan and completely taken out of the game.  Team Wikkid doesn't have the interior defense (even with Ewing's presence) to handle Duncan and Howards athleticism to the rim for offensive boards.  Team Wikkid doesn't have the 3-pt game or perimeter players to take advantage of Terry & Peja on defense.  The entire team is built on scoring in the paint which is completely neutralized by Duncan (13 time all NBA Defensive team) and Howard (3 time Defensive POY).  

This is just a bad matchup for Magic's team as the firepower isn't there and it isn't set up to exploit what little weakness Team Gally has.  
that Duncan-Howard twin towers in the paint would be tough for almost all teams. I think an added advantage was how Duncan was able to work with Robinson and adjust his gameplay so both could still prosper

that Duncan-Howard twin towers in the paint would be tough for almost all teams. I think an added advantage was how Duncan was able to work with Robinson and adjust his gameplay so both could still prosper
That was what I was going for.  I think in their primes these two are great complimentary players to each other.  

As great as Magic was, he is really only able to effect the game by getting out on the break, getting in the paint and distributing.  He isn't a great defender and really wasn't a good outside shooter.  As a result, he is at least partially reliant on his teammates to finish plays.  Howard's defense and rebounding alongside Tim's 2-way efficiency is a tough combo for anyone to deal with, but especially for a PF the likes of Tisdale.  On defense, only Ewing would be effective and he's likely guarding the least potent offensive threat on that team.

Voted this round as well. My only side note is that the Scoobus vs. Jayrod match up is closer than the votes show. I think what puts Scoobus over is Shaq vs. Horford. In a real series this would be a 6 or 7 game heavy weight fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
File away under "you can only hope to contain Michael Jordan," as that is exactly what I have with the Glove matched up defensively on MJ (and it's discussed here:  https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/glove-vs-goat).

Unfortunately for Modogg, Olajuwon is a 30/20 player in this matchup. 

Chuck and Mate.
File away under MJ kicked all of these guys asses almost every year in the 90s except for Horace who's ### he carried AND when he decide to play some Baseball.

Hakeem would make it tough, but similar to the last match-up, the write up is pretty much the same. D.C. and LJ wouldn't be able to stop Hakeem a ton, but they can compete with rebounds. the perimeter defense of MJ, Stockton and Majerle could shut down Payton, Strickland and Ceballos, but this game would a little more competitive. Would be fun to watch too, i think Ceballos vs. Majerle would be a fun match-up, same idea of Horace Grant and LJ. 

indiv. breakdown

Stockton > Payton  - is closer than last match-up, and the steals from both of these guys would make ball handling unsafe for both teams. but Stockton has a bit better offensive prowess and basketball IQ (not to take anything away from the glove, just is Stockton has to be one of the top all time with his basketball IQ and navigating the floor)

MJ >>> Strickland  - this match-up here would be a blood bath. I see you have Payton on MJ, but than that just increases Stockton's ability to +2 navigating the offense. If MJ matches up defensively on Strickland than i am thinking he comes out of this game with like 6 points and 11 turnovers. 

Majerle > Ceballos - another close match-up, but i think Majerle edges Ceballos a little with his defensive prowess and multiple all-defense showings. Cedrcik would definitely get some, but Majerle would get his shots as well, and have a slight advantge holding Ceballos back

LJ > Horace Grant - key here is remembering LJ at his prime and how he played pre-sever back injury which hurt his legacy more than any other player i can think off the top of my head. LJ was a better all around athlete and i think would be able to score on Horace. Fun match-up, no doubt

Hakeem >> D.C.  this would hurt, but DC just has to not get obliterated off the court
Yeah...people don't think much of LJ but the Hornets went from a 20 win team to 50 win with him.

This team should win the whole thing (easily) - not only does it have the star power it's almost the "perfect" team from a balance and complimentary games standpoint.

This team should win the whole thing (easily) - not only does it have the star power it's almost the "perfect" team from a balance and complimentary games standpoint.
Hey now.......I am going up against that team next and think I have a chance.  I matchup well in all ways and don't have a zero offensively like Bowen.  I also negate his defensive prowess as I don't run through my wings.  I think the Gally v Scoobus matchup would be a bloodbath of a series and really could go either way and the winner should take the tournament as I think they are the two most complimentary teams while still having SuperStars.  

Users who are viewing this thread