What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Real ID (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Does everyone else pretty much have a Real ID now? New Jersey was extremely slow in implementing it and when they finally rolled it out, Covid hit. 

Oct 1st it becomes a requirement to have either a Real ID or passport to fly commercially. As of right now, it’s not even possible to schedule an appointment (required) in NJ to get a Real ID. Neat.

Crazy that renewing our passports which will likely take 3-4 months will likely be faster than trying to get a Real ID in NJ.

Thats terrible. MN was slow to adapt as well...or so I thought, but I got mine in 2019. Hopefully things will open in the next couple months or TSA will extend the deadline yet again. 

I had just renewed my DL prior to that change, so have been putting it off, but just last week I made myself a sticky note to make an appointment. Trying to catch it before the last-minute rush. 

Washington is the last state where the standard ID and DL don't comply with Real ID, so we have to get enhanced DL's before October 1st or use a passport to fly.   I just got an appointment to get my enhanced DL, but some of our licensing departments are closed to appointments.    First available anywhere near me was a month from now.    They have a banner on their website telling people to wait.   If everyone waits until September, they're going to be screwed.

I have a PIV so I'm good luckily. I got my nj licensed renewed last year and didn't get a realid

Most states just adopted it right away so it wasn't an issue.
Yeah, I didn’t get it right away because my license was expiring the next year and it wasn’t really required yet/had a passport but I think my wife, oldest son and I got ours in 2018 or so, I think. Well before COVID. 

Washington is the last state where the standard ID and DL don't comply with Real ID, so we have to get enhanced DL's before October 1st or use a passport to fly.   I just got an appointment to get my enhanced DL, but some of our licensing departments are closed to appointments.    First available anywhere near me was a month from now.    They have a banner on their website telling people to wait.   If everyone waits until September, they're going to be screwed.
Kentucky is not there yet either. We can finally get them now, but everything got pushed due to COVID. 

It isn't difficult to do (at least in CA) as long as you aren't under the gun to get it done.  I just made an appt at the DMV for a few months out and took care if it at the appt.  I needed to renew my license anyway (which I could have just done by mail) but I decided to do the real ID conversion just to get it over with.  It wasn't difficult.

Kentucky is not there yet either. We can finally get them now, but everything got pushed due to COVID. 
We have "enhanced" driver's license and ID because of the proximity to the Canadian border, but we're not making non-enhanced Real ID available.   "Enhanced" complies with the Real ID act for flying.   It's a slightly different issue, because it prevents resident aliens from getting a real ID compliant driver's license in this state, since you can't issue an enhanced ID to a non-citizen.   Washington is the only state that does not offer a true Real ID option.   

Thanks for this thread. I didn't know this was a thing.

I rarely fly but have a trip scheduled on October 1st. This could have thrown a last-minute monkey wrench into it.

:thanks:

I'd never heard of this.  Looks like Missouri was compliant in 2019.

I renewed my license for six years in 2018, so now I will need to get a duplicate license issued that is Real ID compliant.  Yay.

This thread reminds me I need to renew my passport. It'll be easier to get my passport than it would be to get a Real ID -  just printed off the form, attached a pic, and mailed it off. 

Since I have a passport I never got mine (MN). Seems unnecessary? 
I carry my license everywhere I go in my wallet. My passport is another thing I’d have to carry. If I can just use my license that I’ll have with me anyway, that is my preference. But since NJ is an incompetent bureaucratic disaster, it appears that renewing my passport will actually be easier than getting the Real ID license.

As long as you always bring your passport when you travel domestically.

The old deadline to comply here was Oct 2020 but that was pushed back due to the pandemic.
The deadline is the same for everyone. It is a federal requirement, not a state one. 

I carry my license everywhere I go in my wallet. My passport is another thing I’d have to carry. If I can just use my license that I’ll have with me anyway, that is my preference. But since NJ is an incompetent bureaucratic disaster, it appears that renewing my passport will actually be easier than getting the Real ID license.
Other than flying, where would you have to carry it?   Was it always intended to be an in person process?  Need to renew my nj license next year, but always try to avoid going to the dmv; real interesting mix of people there.   

Got mine in SC in 2019 because I was traveling some and just didn't want to mess with carrying my passport. First time I went the line was 1 1/2hrs so I bailed thinking it was an anomaly. 2nd time I went the line was 1 3/4hrs so I just stood there like a good soldier and dealt with it. Shortly after COVID pushed everything back but it's going to sneak up on people again.

Don't put it off and have to wait days in line for the last minute rush because it's going to be huge.

Other than flying, where would you have to carry it?   Was it always intended to be an in person process?  Need to renew my nj license next year, but always try to avoid going to the dmv; real interesting mix of people there.   
Idk about everywhere, but here, pandemic DMV is dare I say awesome! Appointment only. I've been twice in the last year. There were never more than 2 other people in the large waiting room, and my wait time was 5~10 minutes, if that.  I hope they keep it appointment only forever. 

Idk about everywhere, but here, pandemic DMV is dare I say awesome! Appointment only. I've been twice in the last year. There were never more than 2 other people in the large waiting room, and my wait time was 5~10 minutes, if that.  I hope they keep it appointment only forever. 
It’s appointment only in NJ as well, but the problem is that they didn’t change their system to require things that didn’t need to be done in person be done online or through mail. So people that don’t actually NEED to go in person are still signing up for in person appointments. So right now New Jersey has zero appointments available in the entire state going out at least 2 months. You can’t even TRY to sign up for an appointment, everything is just listed as full (as far as Real ID appointments go at least). 

If it were actually possible to sign up for an appointment, I agree, that would be awesome and much preferable. But if there aren’t enough appointment slots, it’s a total disaster.

It’s appointment only in NJ as well, but the problem is that they didn’t change their system to require things that didn’t need to be done in person be done online or through mail. So people that don’t actually NEED to go in person are still signing up for in person appointments. So right now New Jersey has zero appointments available in the entire state going out at least 2 months. You can’t even TRY to sign up for an appointment, everything is just listed as full (as far as Real ID appointments go at least). 

If it were actually possible to sign up for an appointment, I agree, that would be awesome and much preferable. But if there aren’t enough appointment slots, it’s a total disaster.
Yup.  If the typical traffic flow is all now going to be done by appointment, there's no way they can handle that load; especially with all the consolidation of locations they've done in recent years.    I wonder if the "couldn't get an appointment" excuse is gonna cut it if you get pulled over with an expired license.    

Ron Swanson said:
Thanks for the reminder.  Just did mine online.
I thought the whole point of this was to close the loopholes created in online ID verification. Lol.  

I thought the whole point of this was to close the loopholes created in online ID verification. Lol.  
I suspect that was more of a thing when it was conceived 10-15 years ago. Nowadays it's probably more secure online.  They put me through a whole series of those onerous verification questions. You know, the ones that are supposed to be about you but you're not quite sure you got the right answer?  They even had a timer on this one. If you didn't answer in two minutes automatic failure.  The last question presented me with a list of license plate numbers and I had to pick which one was one of mine.  I wasted about 30 seconds at my computer trying to figure out where online I could quickly look it up, finally gave up took a quick phone pic of the list and made a mad dash for the garage and driveway. Of course, my fat ### running out the door in the middle of the day for no reason freaks the wife out and so then I'm trying to catch my breath, de-panic her, and find the right plate. Luckily it was the 2nd vehicle I looked at and I made it back just in time.  What a ridiculous question.  I was lucky I was at home with all the vehicles there and just unfat enough to make the run.

I suspect that was more of a thing when it was conceived 10-15 years ago. Nowadays it's probably more secure online.  They put me through a whole series of those onerous verification questions. You know, the ones that are supposed to be about you but you're not quite sure you got the right answer?  They even had a timer on this one. If you didn't answer in two minutes automatic failure.  The last question presented me with a list of license plate numbers and I had to pick which one was one of mine.  I wasted about 30 seconds at my computer trying to figure out where online I could quickly look it up, finally gave up took a quick phone pic of the list and made a mad dash for the garage and driveway. Of course, my fat ### running out the door in the middle of the day for no reason freaks the wife out and so then I'm trying to catch my breath, de-panic her, and find the right plate. Luckily it was the 2nd vehicle I looked at and I made it back just in time.  What a ridiculous question.  I was lucky I was at home with all the vehicles there and just unfat enough to make the run.
I’m glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t know their license plate number. If I were somewhere and they announced that someone left their lights on and said my license plate number, I’d sit there like a moron having no idea. 

Considering my son is military got mine when I renewed in 2019. Need it to get on military bases at some point as well.

You can use a PIV in substitute for a License?  I didn't know that.
Yes? I've used my PIV exclusively when flying but mine is also issued via the FAA :shrug: if that matters ....I've also used it to jump through the employee line but they've put the kabash on that...

I will say, one funny story. One time I was in line showing my PIV, not sure if the guy was new. He's looking at, asks if I have other id. I start opening my bag, asks coworker what it is,.  Guy #2.."It's a PIV, you currently are wearing one, : 😆". Guy #1 looks down sheepishly at his ID attached to his shirt.

We share a laugh.

Edit: this was the original release

Travelers will begin seeing new signs at airports nationwide in the coming weeks to remind people that REAL ID-compliant licenses or other acceptable forms of ID, such as a valid passport, federal government PIV card or U.S. military ID, will be mandatory for air travel beginning on October 1, 2020. Critically important, on October 1, 2020, individuals who are unable to verify their identity will not be permitted to enter the TSA checkpoint and will not be allowed to fly.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/news/2019/04/04/tsa-reminds-travelers-real-id-identification-requirements#:~:text=Travelers will begin seeing new,beginning on October 1%2C 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going, best check in advance what type of birth certificate will be accepted.  Did mine on second try after getting hit with my birth certificate was not good enough on the first try.  Not sure if every state is as anal about it as my DMV was, my BC was clearly not a reproduced copy, had signatures, and looks as old as I am.  But it didn't have a seal or watermark so it was up to me to go back to my original state of birth and have them produce another copy with a seal on it, for another fee of course.   

If you are going, best check in advance what type of birth certificate will be accepted.  Did mine on second try after getting hit with my birth certificate was not good enough on the first try.  Not sure if every state is as anal about it as my DMV was, my BC was clearly not a reproduced copy, had signatures, and looks as old as I am.  But it didn't have a seal or watermark so it was up to me to go back to my original state of birth and have them produce another copy with a seal on it, for another fee of course.   
Same thing with mine. I'm afraid to touch my original BC at this point because it's just going to disintegrate at some point. I had to get a certified copy from my birth state for my passport so used that but as you said, it's another fee ($20-$30) and a week or so wait.

beer 30 said:
I had to get a certified copy from my birth state for my passport so used that but as you said, it's another fee ($20-$30) and a week or so wait.
Got mine from Illinois toot sweet.  So fast I was really impressed.

Tennessee was slow, so I grabbed a Passport Card a couple years back.

It's great for domestic air travel, no good for international air travel but great for border crossings into CAN/MEX and for sea travel in the Caribbean.

It's also my go-to for ID when travelling internationally. A nice compromise between a State DL and carrying your actual passport around a foreign country (ill advised). 

For $3/year it's a no brainer IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread