What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dez's Digital Nomad Thread: Colombia (1 Viewer)

Listened to the voice message from Wendy a few more times. She said she had to move and she spent all day yesterday doing that 😄

Got in to Bogotá last night at 8pm. Valentina cancelled because I wasn't going to get to the apartment until 9pm and she was somewhere alone and decided to head home.  She wanted to get together today instead.  I was irritated but I was over it by this morning.  So I wrote to her in the morning and told her I could see her today (she gets off work at 7pm).  I also wrote to Delight asking if we could see each other tomorrow.

At 1:30 Sara B. showed up for our lunch date (only 30 min late!) and we walked to a nearby restaurant that I love.  Two of the best 11oz beef tenderloins you'll ever have for a total of $28.  We were there for a while and had a nice time and good conversation.  Her birthday already passed so she's 25 now.  Afterwards we went walking around a bit and eventually back to the apartment.  We hung out on the couch a little while and she suggested we watch a movie.  This apartment has a feature that I hate normally but I like when chicas come around: no TV in the living room but a TV in the bedroom.

So we're watching some movie and things are slowly progressing.  I actually expected the date to last 3-4 hours total (no matter if something happened or not), in time to still see Valentina after 7pm.  Things keep progressing and are really heating up.  But now it's 6:30 and my phone starts blowing up.  It's Valentina asking if we're getting together and what are we going to do.  And Delight replies saying that of course we can see each other tomorrow but she's on her period.  I tell her cool, no problem, and ask Valentina if we can see each other on Saturday because things got complicated on my end.  She says maybe and she'll let me know.

I get back to Sara B. and things go well  :pickle: .  She hung around for a while after and didn't end up leaving until about 9:30.

I don't know why, but bottom line is that nothing here is simple, easy, or straightforward. I'm reminded every time I come, but for some reason I still end up irritated and baffled.

I'll start with my Bucaramanga trip. My friend Maria C has been asking me for months when I'm coming to visit. The first two weeks I was in Barranquilla she kept asking when I was coming. I finally settled on these dates (today and tomorrow, Thursday and Friday) and she said great, that would work because she doesn't have class Friday. So then I told my friend Jessica who lives there as well and she was excited that I was coming. These two girls are only friends of mine (unfortunately).

So yesterday I was exchanging messages with both of them and I told Maria C that Jessica wanted to get together with me after she got off work Thursday, and she was going to bring her friends and sister along, and that maybe Maria C and I could get together for the day Friday since she didn't have class. I guess in my head I was thinking she was going to show me the city. Maria C replied that she can't on Friday because she's traveling. Uh...what? Yeah, traveling but she said she can see me later Thursday and maybe a couple hours in the morning Friday. So then I wrote to Jessica asking if we can get together Friday instead and she said no, she can't on Friday because she's traveling on Saturday and is having a sendoff with her amigas Friday night. I said why can't you invite me to the sendoff with your friends and she basically says it's just the girls. And where is she traveling to on Saturday? Barranquilla  :doh: .

Are you f'n kidding me? So I planned this whole side trip because I promised Maria C that I would, and I also wanted to see Jessica and her sister, and I'm going to end up seeing them a few hours Thursday night and a couple of hours Friday morning? I really have no idea what goes through people's heads here. Time to hit the Tinder... 

Continuing the same vein, though thankfully not as bad, Delight was supposed to get off work at 3pm yesterday and we were going to spend the rest of the afternoon together. At 3:30 she writes saying that they changed her schedule the night before and she wouldn't get off until 5pm. I say ok, I basically haven't done anything all day except have lunch, but I can wait a couple more hours. Then she starts saying that with traffic it's going to take an hour to get home then another hour to get to my place and it looks like we won't be able to see each other. Whoaaa hold on! I start giving her a hard time and she says ok she'll come, she wants to see me, but that she has to go home and get ready first. I said you don't have to do that, it's just me, to which she replies that's why I have to go home and get ready, because it's you  :wub: .

So of course there are additional delays but she finally arrives at about 8:30, and omg was it worth the wait. I might have sold her "short" earlier. She might be about 5'10", and she shows up wearing a black leather miniskirt, fishnets, and a tight black sweater showing off her amazing curves :shock: . We go to my restaurant before it closes and then back to my place. Things start in right away and she stops and says I told you I'm on my period right? I say yes you did and she says that's ok, it's not much, it will be alright...yadda yadda yadda  :pickle: .

Man she is a wild one. She speaks English fairly well and let's just say she likes to say both "papi" and "daddy"  :wub: . We fell asleep afterwards for a little bit and she finally left around midnight. She had told me she was planning to spend the night and go to work from my place this morning, but she ended up not bringing anything with her.

She got home at 12:30 and I couldn't sleep afterwards. Got up at 5am to get to the airport and now I'm sitting in the hotel lobby in Bucaramanga because my room won't be ready for a couple more hours. Dead tired, hopefully will get some sleep before heading out with all the girls tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Continuing the same vein, though thankfully not as bad, Delight was supposed to get off work at 3pm yesterday and we were going to spend the rest of the afternoon together. At 3:30 she writes saying that they changed her schedule the night before and she wouldn't get off until 5pm. I say ok, I basically haven't done anything all day except have lunch, but I can wait a couple more hours. Then she starts saying that with traffic it's going to take an hour to get home then another hour to get to my place and it looks like we won't be able to see each other. Whoaaa hold on! I start giving her a hard time and she says ok she'll come, she wants to see me, but that she has to go home and get ready first. I said you don't have to do that, it's just me, to which she replies that's why I have to go home and get ready, because it's you  :wub: .

So of course there are additional delays but she finally arrives at about 8:30, and omg was it worth the wait. I might have sold her "short" earlier. She might be about 5'10", and she shows up wearing a black leather miniskirt, fishnets, and a tight black sweater showing off her amazing curves :shock: . We go to my restaurant before it closes and then back to my place. Things start in right away and she stops and says I told you I'm on my period right? I say yes you did and she says that's ok, it's not much, it will be alright...yadda yadda yadda  :pickle: .

Man she is a wild one. She speaks English fairly well and let's just say she likes to say both "papi" and "daddy"  :wub: . We fell asleep afterwards for a little bit and she finally left around midnight. She has told me she was planning to spend the night and go to work from my place this morning, but she ended up not bringing anything with her.

She got home at 12:30 and I couldn't sleep afterwards. Got up at 5am to get to the airport and now I'm sitting in the hotel lobby in Bucaramanga because my room won't be ready for a couple more hours. Dead tired, hopefully will get some sleep before heading out with all the girls tonight.
I’m moving to Colombia.  This seals it.

I noticed this morning that Delight was back to posting statuses with her "amorcito" yesterday after knocking boots with me the night before  :oldunsure: .

Met up with Jessica, her sister, and two of their amigas for dinner yesterday, along with Maria C and her amigo. So there were 7 of us total. Had some amazing food at a popular local steakhouse. From there we went walking in the rain towards the clubs, got soaked, and finally all piled into an uber to get us the rest of the way. The older girls didn't like the first place we ended up. Too much reggaeton and electronica, and too young of a crowd (I didn't see a problem lol). We saw some kind of ruckus that all the security guys flew to but things seemed to calm down after a bit. So we decided to leave there for another club. It was still raining so we did the best we could but still ended up fairly soaked again by the time we got there.

Had a really great time there with everyone. That's the first time I've gone to rumbear in a long time. Another amiga of Maria C's amigo showed up at one point, so it was me and him with 6 girls. It ended up being really cool just dancing and having fun without worrying about trying to meet chicas, hook up, etc.

Nothing to do today. I've got a couple of Tinder prospects but I really don't think they're going to work out. I think I'm going to check out Girón, which is a nearby town with a historical/colonial vibe.

I’m moving to Colombia.  This seals it.

I've been saying for years that if American guys knew what was out there waiting for them they would bail on the gringa b.s. in a heartbeat. Not sure that's still the case, since they've pretty much been brainwashed since birth at this point.

I've been saying for years that if American guys knew what was out there waiting for them they would bail on the gringa b.s. in a heartbeat. Not sure that's still the case, since they've pretty much been brainwashed since birth at this point.

Yep.  A few visits to Brazil really opened my eyes at a young age.  I will say Brazil is a little more wholesome than Colombia (less Miami influence if that makes sense).

1) Great thread... good read. I don't mind the frustrations. I'm familiar with the lack of organization and punctuality in South/Central America. 

2) You really should create an Imgur account and create a separate "Thread" for each girl. Web or App both work great. Upload all the past images and then set it to private and share the links in here. You can update each "thread" with new images of each girl as they come. 

3) I'd consider being a bit more direct / demanding. Latin women claim they like gringos because they're less chauvinistic / demanding than latin men... but the reality is they're accustomed to men who don't take their #### and/or give it right back.  Perhaps consider being less "aww shucks okay" about it and deal out more cold shoulders or be a bit more demanding. You have the hand. Wield it. 

Just my .02. Either way... great thread and keep it going. :thumbup:  

In fairness:

1) it seems like you are still dealing with a lot of BS in all these stories

2) my college BFF (female) is from Bogota.  So I’m very familiar with Colombian women.  If they are all like her — god bless you

edit to add:  my wife absolutely despises my Colombian friend

[icon] said:
1) Great thread... good read. I don't mind the frustrations. I'm familiar with the lack of organization and punctuality in South/Central America. 

2) You really should create an Imgur account and create a separate "Thread" for each girl. Web or App both work great. Upload all the past images and then set it to private and share the links in here. You can update each "thread" with new images of each girl as they come. 

3) I'd consider being a bit more direct / demanding. Latin women claim they like gringos because they're less chauvinistic / demanding than latin men... but the reality is they're accustomed to men who don't take their #### and/or give it right back.  Perhaps consider being less "aww shucks okay" about it and deal out more cold shoulders or be a bit more demanding. You have the hand. Wield it. 

Just my .02. Either way... great thread and keep it going. :thumbup:  

1) And they wonder why they can't get out of the third world, and clamor to get to the U.S.

2) Ok I'll look into it.

3) This is right on point. You're right on both counts. The demanding part goes against my nature, and I'm victim to the U.S. mentality somewhat as well (hard to avoid it), but I have been dealing out cold shoulders at least.

Alex P Keaton said:
In fairness:

1) it seems like you are still dealing with a lot of BS in all these stories

2) my college BFF (female) is from Bogota.  So I’m very familiar with Colombian women.  If they are all like her — god bless you

edit to add:  my wife absolutely despises my Colombian friend

There's woman b.s. (because let's face it, they're all women), individual b.s. (maybe like your rola friend), and cultural b.s.  I'll take the Latina cultural b.s. over the American cultural b.s. any day.

Didn't do much yesterday. Went to check out the Megamall (it wasn't), then to the central plaza of Girón. It was cool but a little disappointing. Mainly just shops selling little souvenirs and things. You couldn't really get into the church because they were being strict with the protocols. I always like going into the churches down here and taking pictures.

I had a promising Tinder match but in the end she couldn't make it out last night. So I went out by myself to the first club we had been the other night. I give those things a go, but that's really not my scene being by myself like that. I'm not outgoing enough to make it work. I miss the old days when I could walk into a bar/club in South America and the women approached me.

Got up early and flew back to Bogotá this morning. Got to the hotel then took an uber out to a really nice mall in Chia where I met up with my friend Vanessa O. We fooled around once 3 years ago but she found religion since then, so no more fun time. Hung out with her a while and we happened to sit down in the food court next to a guy from Australia and his girlfriend. He's been living here a year and I had a pretty good time chatting with him.

Back at the hotel now and really tired. Never heard back from Valentina so I guess I'm not going to see her. Definitely a lost opportunity as I think she would have been good to go. Tried to set up something with another girl I've been talking to for a year but doesn't look like that's going to pan out. Have to get up at 4am so I'm happy to just go to sleep. Found out from my landlord a couple days ago that the apartment building in Barranquilla is going to be without power most of the day tomorrow. I get in like at 8:30 in the morning so I think I'm just going to get a hotel room so I can watch football.

Got up yesterday morning to get ready and head to the airport (Bogota to Barranquilla), and I saw that Valentina had sent me a message at 9pm, while I was fast asleep, asking me where I was :doh: .

I've been talking to a flight attendant for several months but we hadn't met yet.  She was actually going to visit me in July while she was in the States for a few days for some training, but she couldn't get the time off for a side trip.  She's based in Barranquilla and we've been chatting since I got here but just hadn't been able to work anything out (she's pretty busy).  Anyway, she was working yesterday morning and knew I was coming in.  She was actually working our arrival gate, so she met me right in the jet way and we talked a bit.  We walked out to the gate and she gave me a big hug right in front of everyone.  Pretty cool to have a flight attendant waiting to meet you at the airport (even if she was working the airport that day and didn't have the official uniform on lol).

Got to the apartment building and all the power was on.  The portero told me that it never went out that morning and he didn't expect it to, now that it was about 9:30am.  So I was able to relax and watch football all day in the apartment.  Vanessa ended up coming over without too much hassle about 7:30 yesterday evening and gave me an amazing homecoming :wub: .  Now I'm just worried that the power is going to be out when I get up some morning during the week.  I definitely don't want to have any work disturbances.  This morning it was on, tomorrow who knows?

Only have 11 days left :cry: , hopefully can make them count.

I was posting pics last week as I was traveling: airport, good food, when I was out with the group at the club, etc.  That girl Marcela who I went to meet at the club my second week (who had the Megan Fox friend) wrote to me complaining that I never wrote to her again.  I pointed out I had been the last one to write.  Also, Maria wrote to me yesterday asking where I was traveling to now (you may recall she just left me hanging a week ago Saturday) so I know she's been looking.  I didn't answer her until today and told her I'd been traveling back to Barranquilla.  She wanted to know where I went and if I enjoyed it, and I told her and said I had a great time.

Checked out Flickr and it sucked.  I know I'm getting old but these apps/websites make everything so hard now, I really just don't get it.  Checked out Imgur and sent myself a private link, and through the link I would be able to download or share everything from the private album.  So not very private.

Any other ideas?

Dez89 said:
Checked out Flickr and it sucked.  I know I'm getting old but these apps/websites make everything so hard now, I really just don't get it.  Checked out Imgur and sent myself a private link, and through the link I would be able to download or share everything from the private album.  So not very private.

Any other ideas?
Private means you must have the link, to view the photos.

So you're concerned about people being able to see a whole album (You can sandbox items in unlimited number of albums)?

Or concerned about folks being able to download the images? If that's the case then there's no solution as nearly any app allows you to download images... and if it doesn't you can do it by viewing the page source code or even simply screen grabbing images on your phone or laptop. 

If you're looking for easy photo/video upload from mobile, ability for multiple albums, and relative privacy that means that only people who have the link are able to see the images, then imgur is the best free solution I've found. 

Private means you must have the link, to view the photos.

So you're concerned about people being able to see a whole album (You can sandbox items in unlimited number of albums)?

Or concerned about folks being able to download the images? If that's the case then there's no solution as nearly any app allows you to download images... and if it doesn't you can do it by viewing the page source code or even simply screen grabbing images on your phone or laptop. 

If you're looking for easy photo/video upload from mobile, ability for multiple albums, and relative privacy that means that only people who have the link are able to see the images, then imgur is the best free solution I've found. 

I've got concerns about people tracking these girls down or something.  I've had issues in the past with people causing me problems.  I know I'm having fun, but these are girls that I know and I wouldn't want any issues or breach of trust (or anyone trying to do an end around).

Alright, I've got Imgur "threads" on Maria, Dana, Angie, Mary, Vanessa, Delight, and Sara B.  Don't be mad, but let's start this slow and keep it to PMs for now.  For those of you I know, and those who have contributed or are board members in good standing.

I've got concerns about people tracking these girls down or something.  I've had issues in the past with people causing me problems.  I know I'm having fun, but these are girls that I know and I wouldn't want any issues or breach of trust (or anyone trying to do an end around).

Alright, I've got Imgur "threads" on Maria, Dana, Angie, Mary, Vanessa, Delight, and Sara B.  Don't be mad, but let's start this slow and keep it to PMs for now.  For those of you I know, and those who have contributed or are board members in good standing.

I totally get it. Definitely understand being cautious.. it's the right thing to do. 

Was just trying to confirm your concerns and explain the limitations of the format. :thumbup:  

our hero is doing some work.   :wub:
Usually I just show pictures of me with the girls to my friends and tell them I just make it look easy (meaning they just see the final result and don't know all the work that goes into it, i.e. what I'm sharing with you guys).

Just got back from meeting my friend Sara E. for dinner over at the mall.  I've known her for about 8 or 9 years, I met her on Facebook.  That used to be an easy way to meet girls as well.  I would see a cute girl and add her, she would accept, and we'd start chatting.  Many times girls would randomly add me too, or friends of the girls that I was talking to would add me.  But all the old standby methods have dried up lol.

Sara E. had a scary account for me.  Last week she was out and didn't have any cash to get home (not sure if it was at night or not).  She called around to several friends, her sister, her aunt, but no one answered, so she decided to use one of the Uber-type apps that they have down here.  She figured she would have the guy take her to a bank and she would get some money out to pay him.  She got in the car and got a strange vibe from the guy.  His face was completely covered with a mask and glasses.  He didn't say a word to her.  A little while later she said she started smelling an acidic odor and started feeling bad (headache, nausea).  The guy told her to put her seat belt on, which she did.  Then her sister started writing to her and Sara told her that she wasn't feeling well and that the driver was strange.  So the sister called her on video and was talking to her, saying that she could see where she was on the GPS and that she was almost there.  They got to the bank and Sara got out, got the money, and paid the guy.  The guy then forcefully told her to get in the car.  She said she had no idea why, but she did.  She was still on the phone with her sister, and told her the plate number of the car.  Her sister responded again saying that she could see where she was and that she was almost home.  They got to her apartment building and she got out of the car and the guy drove off.  When she got to her apartment she started throwing up.  Later on she went back on the app to report the guy but he had deactivated his account.

I know I mentioned two different Valentinas in the thread here but I didn't do a good job distinguishing them.  Valentina B. is the one I've been talking to for over four years, lives in Barranquilla now, cancelled on me a couple of times a couple of weeks ago.  Anyway, we finally got together tonight and met for the first time.  Had dinner and it was nice.  Our personalities have always seemed to clash a bit, but we had a good time bashing on American women so it was all good.  We went to an American style BBQ place here in town that's actually pretty authentic.  Not sure if I mentioned it earlier.  I don't think I left an impression on her, but I didn't really expect to either.  She said she thought I was taller (she's pretty tall, maybe 5'9") lol.

Just got back from meeting my friend Sara E. for dinner over at the mall.  I've known her for about 8 or 9 years, I met her on Facebook.  That used to be an easy way to meet girls as well.  I would see a cute girl and add her, she would accept, and we'd start chatting.  Many times girls would randomly add me too, or friends of the girls that I was talking to would add me.  But all the old standby methods have dried up lol.

Sara E. had a scary account for me.  Last week she was out and didn't have any cash to get home (not sure if it was at night or not).  She called around to several friends, her sister, her aunt, but no one answered, so she decided to use one of the Uber-type apps that they have down here.  She figured she would have the guy take her to a bank and she would get some money out to pay him.  She got in the car and got a strange vibe from the guy.  His face was completely covered with a mask and glasses.  He didn't say a word to her.  A little while later she said she started smelling an acidic odor and started feeling bad (headache, nausea).  The guy told her to put her seat belt on, which she did.  Then her sister started writing to her and Sara told her that she wasn't feeling well and that the driver was strange.  So the sister called her on video and was talking to her, saying that she could see where she was on the GPS and that she was almost there.  They got to the bank and Sara got out, got the money, and paid the guy.  The guy then forcefully told her to get in the car.  She said she had no idea why, but she did.  She was still on the phone with her sister, and told her the plate number of the car.  Her sister responded again saying that she could see where she was and that she was almost home.  They got to her apartment building and she got out of the car and the guy drove off.  When she got to her apartment she started throwing up.  Later on she went back on the app to report the guy but he had deactivated his account.
Do you ever feel unsafe down there? I assume you are out and about at night?

I was also wondering about the stature of the women you mention.  I have met a few Colombian women who were quite attractive and more of the spinner variety. 

The area I'm staying in is the nicest part of town and relatively safe.  I've walked around at "night" though night starts about 6-7pm here.  I've walked around on Friday and Saturday nights but there are a ton of people around at those times.  If I go anywhere else at night I'm typically going to be with people I know, or going straight to/from a specific location in a taxi.  There has been more insecurity here recently and some gang violence, from what I've been told.

Whenever I'm in Colombia I usually try to just pay attention and stay away from places I shouldn't be, just like in any major city anywhere.  But the rule of thumb here is if someone robs you, just give them what they want.  They will kill you for a cell phone.

Forgot to mention Vanessa sent me a message around midday yesterday that said "Looking fantastic babe" and wanted to know what it said (it was in English and she wanted the Spanish translation).  I sent her a <_< back and she said what? is it bad?  I told her to ask the amigo that sent it to her.  She replied with tell meeeeeee and I've ignored her since.  She sent me another message last night responding to picture of my food that I posted, but I didn't reply.

If you want to talk to other dudes (and gringos) on WhatsApp or Tinder or wherever, that's cool, but don't ask me to translate their  :censored: messages.

The times I've been to Colombia, I felt safe, safer than many American cities.  I think it gets a bad rap from the Pablo days.  It's similar to NYC or LA, you hang out in the nice areas and don't stray.  Of course, being a gringo, you should always be careful.  Petty theft is my main concern so I'd don't wear jewelry or flash a fancy phone on the street.  

Dez89 said:
Forgot to mention Vanessa sent me a message around midday yesterday that said "Looking fantastic babe" and wanted to know what it said (it was in English and she wanted the Spanish translation).  I sent her a <_< back and she said what? is it bad?  I told her to ask the amigo that sent it to her.  She replied with tell meeeeeee and I've ignored her since.  She sent me another message last night responding to picture of my food that I posted, but I didn't reply.

If you want to talk to other dudes (and gringos) on WhatsApp or Tinder or wherever, that's cool, but don't ask me to translate their  :censored: messages.

She sent me another message this morning asking why I wasn't talking to her.  I replied that she didn't need me, she had other gringos to talk to.  She asked if I was jealous and said that it was from someone commenting on her Instagram pic that she uploaded yesterday and she wanted to know what it meant, that's all.  I told her I didn't see any new pics on her Instagram and she said she took it down yesterday.  Riiight, posted it yesterday and took it down yesterday.  She asked why I was upset and I just replied "pq si" which seems to be how the girls justify everything.

So whatever.  There's really no reason for me to get mad about her talking to other guys, just don't want to provide any aid.  I guess I always want everything on my terms lol.

Vanessa told me not to get angry, I'm the only one who can touch her and make her mine.  Now that's some good Latina stuff right there! :wub:

Was supposed to see my friend Sara E. again on Friday.  We were going to go to the movie but she had some sad news for me: she lives with her aunt and uncle, and her uncle passed away on Wednesday.  So she understandably was busy helping her aunt.  I hit the wire but didn't get any bites, and then later on Jessica (one of the friends I went to see in Bucaramanga and was going to be traveling to Barranquilla) wrote to me saying she was on her way to Buenavista to see me.  I hadn't written to her or invited her, but it turned out to be a well-timed surprise.  First Friday I've had anything to do since I've been here pretty much.  We went over to one of the nice restaurants at Buenavista 3 and had a nice visit.

Saturday I finally went to visit my familia costeña here in town.  I'd been here 6 weeks and had only seen my hermanito up to that point.  Spent a few hours at their house and it was nice.  They live in one of the poorer parts of town, I believe it's a strata 2, but I've been going there for years with no issues.  They usually watch over me pretty closely, and the last couple of years they seem to be more protective and say that things there are a little more dangerous than before.  Sadly, a nephew/cousin of theirs was killed last week in another part of town, apparently the victim of something drug or gang related.

Left there about 7pm and headed back to the apartment, as Vanessa was coming to see me and spend the night.  She finally got there about 9pm, we got a pizza and watched a movie, and had a very nice time afterwards.  Sooo nice to spend the night holding a young hottie and seeing her walk around in your shirt (again) the next morning :wub: .  We talked a little more about things than usual.  She wanted to know why I was mad at her the other day and I told her you're talking to people, I'm talking to people and whatever, but don't ask me to translate for them.  She just laughed.  She said she was going to miss me a lot.  She wanted to know if I had "been with" anyone else while I'd been in Colombia and I said no.  At one point she started looking at my WhatsApp conversations and when she got to Mary I took the phone away and said that was enough.  That obviously got her curiosity up but I told her she has her things and I have mine and it's better not to cause problems.  She kept bugging me saying that if we don't have any kind of relationship then it didn't matter, but she finally dropped it.  She said she probably wouldn't be able to see me again before I leave, so that sucks.  I'll be back the middle of January, but 2 months is like 2 years to these young chicas.  They talk to and are hit on by so many guys, I'll be lucky if she remembers me by then.

Watched football the rest of the day (Sunday) and sent Mary a message in the afternoon.  She was supposed to come by to see me but she replied saying that she was feeling bad with cramps.  So I guess I won't get a nice sendoff from her this week :sadbanana: .  There are couple of other girls that I'm hoping to get in this week but I'm guessing it's going to be fairly quiet until I leave on Friday.

I mentioned the stratas earlier.  I know I haven't included much cultural content in the thread, but the stratas are one of the interesting things about life here.  From wikipedia:

"The official strata division provides another look at social classes. A 1994 law provides 'an instrument that allows a municipality or district to classify its population in distinct groups or strata with similar social and economic characteristics'. The law was framed this way to establish cross-class subsidies that would help those in the lower strata pay for utilities. Housing characteristics, such as a garage, a front yard, and quality of the neighborhood, are the main criteria used. Depending on the diversity and quality of housing, there could be six strata: level one is lower-low, two is low, three is upper-low, four is medium, five is medium-high, and six is high. Most cities have all six, but there are towns that have only three. This national classification identifies groups with similar socioeconomic characteristics. Although strata are not a direct reflection of social class, they provide useful information beyond income measures.[1]

The great majority of the population (89 percent) lives in strata one, two, and three, and on that basis, even if not by other criteria, is considered poor. Strata four, five, and six house only 6.5 percent, 1.9 percent, and 1.5 percent of the population, respectively. In other words, only about 10 percent of the population lives in dwellings that are well built and located in well-developed neighborhoods with access to good utility services.[1]"

The stratas are physically zoned and they actually pay different utility rates based on strata.  By comparison, the area I'm staying is strata 6.

The stratas are physically zoned and they actually pay different utility rates based on strata.  By comparison, the area I'm staying is strata 6.

what strata was your apartment in?  send me some pics of the area.  i like those too.   :lmao:   

You may not have noticed me adding that sentence to the end of the last post.  The apartment I'm staying in is strata 6.  The landlady constantly complains about the power bill and reminds me to turn the AC off when I leave.  She's not here, but she mentions it every time we exchange messages.

I don't have many pics of the area but I did take a few of the mall so I'll get some up.

is that the ocean in the distance?

You know what, I'm not sure.  When I took that picture I thought it was just undeveloped land.  I've looked again a few times and it's just too far for me to tell.  The ocean is over 5 miles in that direction and there's a river in between as well.

I added a few pics on the inside of Buenavista.

You know what, I'm not sure.  When I took that picture I thought it was just undeveloped land.  I've looked again a few times and it's just too far for me to tell.  The ocean is over 5 miles in that direction and there's a river in between as well.

I added a few pics on the inside of Buenavista.

I take it back.  Zoomed in on the pic and you can see undeveloped land, what I think is the river, then the other undeveloped land.  There's a very thin layer above that that must be the ocean, but you can't see it at regular zoom in the pic I posted.

Mary wrote and told me we would see each other before I leave.

Omg, I don't know what I ever did to the universe, but it's been getting back at me for a looooong time.  I've been trying to meet up with 21-year old Dani for weeks.  She's very busy with school and communication has been spotty.  The one day we were going to meet up, her mom decided to stop by for a weekend visit.  She promised me last weekend that she would find the time to see me this week before I leave, but I hadn't heard from her.  So I wrote to her this afternoon and asked if she was free today.  She actually replied and said she had class until 5:30, and would meet me afterwards over at Buenavista.

We had joked/flirted a little bit previously and I thought she might be good to go if we ever met up.  But the tone of her messages today made me think that that probably wasn't going to happen on the first date.  She wrote to me about 6:15 that she was over at the mall, so I headed over and we met up.  She wanted to eat at some burger place at BV2 so we walked over there to a pretty cool restaurant.  Her English is excellent so we talked in English pretty much the whole time.  She seemed like a serious girl and I wasn't really getting a vibe from her, although we were having a good time and great conversation.

Things were wrapping up about 8:30 and I asked her what she was going to do next, if she was going to work on her class project or what.  She kind of hesitated and said she wasn't sure, so I took my shot.  I said you know, I owe you a massage (from previous flirty messages).  I expected her to laugh and say "yeah right" or something like that, but instead she said yeah that's right, you do :excited: .  The vibe completely changed in that moment and we were suddenly laughing and smiling more and leaning into each other.  I mean, we were laughing and smiling most of the evening, but this was different.  Then she suddenly said oh no, I think we're getting together for the project tonight.  She started checking her WhatsApp group messages and yep, her group was meeting to work on their project the rest of tonight.  I told her she didn't have to go this time, but she said that she was the one with the testing results and they couldn't do anything without her.  I said you guys can get together tomorrow, but she said everything was due, etc. etc. etc.  She said I really want to stay but I just can't :rant: .

Before you knew it, we were making out at the table in the restaurant.  Of all the girls I've kissed on this trip, she had the best lips/kiss of any of them, by far.  It was heartbreaking :cry: .  She said she has class all day tomorrow and probably Thursday too, but we can see each other again when I come back in January.  I walked her outside to her ride and told her if anything changes tonight to write to me :sadbanana: .

A little bit of random drama today.  I posted a pic of my lunch in my status today, basically saying that I was saying goodbye to this Colombian burger place (reminding people that I'm leaving) and this girl Rosa wrote to me asking if I was still in Barranquilla.  I met her online two and a half years ago, we hit it off, she's very cute, super little and slim, with an amaaaazing a$$.  We talked for a few months, lots of video calls, and decided to meet up in Cartagena for a weekend at that time, in July 2019.  I was pretty into her.  She was 21 at the time I think, living at home in a small town ~2 hours outside of Cartagena.  Apparently she has a domineering mother and we went back and forth for a month or so about whether she was going to be able to come or not.  She finally said she would, and I reserved an apartment and put her name and her cousin's name on the guest list because she was going to come with her cousin to make it more acceptable, etc.  Long story short, she cancelled on me about a week before the trip, and I was furious.  We communicated sparsely after that, mainly when she would write to me.  About a year later she started dating a guy who lived in Barranquilla, and I saw her post pictures from there.  That infuriated me even more, as Barranquilla is about another 2 hours further down the road from Cartagena from where she lived.  So coming to see me was such a big deal but then she ended up dating someone even further away. 

She wrote to me a couple of months ago when I was posting about coming to Barranquilla, because she was moving to Barranquilla in October to live with her boyfriend.  How nice.  Anyway, like I said, I posted the picture today and she wrote to me asking if I was still in Barranquilla.  I said yes, and she said that she was here now too and had been here for a week.  Great, happy for you.  I told her I was leaving on Friday and she said if you'd like, I can say something to my boyfriend to make a plan to meet up and talk a while.  I said I don't think so.  She asked why not and I said that it would only bother me.  She said but why?, and I said you know why.  She said she was sorry, that she made a mistake, that she's still sorry for what happened, that she'd like to remedy it but she doesn't know how.  She said that she was very immature in that time, didn't know what she wanted, etc. etc. and that she hurt me, but that she had really wanted to come see me in Cartagena at that time.  I said well, finding a boyfriend that lived further away from you than Cartagena and making a life with him doesn't serve to remedy things much.  Then I said, whatever, it doesn't matter now, I'm happy for you (sarcasm).  She thanked me and said the next time I come she hopes she can see me and we can talk a while.  I said I don't think seeing you happy on your boyfriend's arm is really going to help anything.  She said said when you come I'll try to make it so that we can see each other without him so that you're not uncomfortable.  I asked for what purpose and she said to talk, well, if you want.  I just left it there and didn't reply.  Whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread