What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

deGrom (1 Viewer)

He’s inhuman, a machine. His velocity increases as the game goes on and never drops off. Even when he misses he’s never far off the plate - reminds me of a much harder throwing Greg Maddux, but (blasphemy) maybe even better.

Also just missed the all-time consecutive strikeout record tonight with 9 batters. Just one short of Tom Seaver in 1970.

Hasn't he won 2 of the last 3 CY Young awards?  IIRC the year he didn't win he came in the top 3.

Saw him pitch live at Marlins Park. He pitched a gem until Mets pen blew it. He will never have a high win total thanks to playing for the Metropolitans.

Saw him pitch live at Marlins Park. He pitched a gem until Mets pen blew it. He will never have a high win total thanks to playing for the Metropolitans.
The Mets are a good team now and will put up some runs. The reason he’ll never have a high win total is the new world order of starting pitchers not going that deep into games. I think DeGrom has 3 complete games in his entire career.

Another ho-hum effort tonight through 6 innings

6 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 R, 12 K

1-2, 2B, 1 RBI; hitting .556 on the season

Last edited by a moderator:
Another ho-hum effort tonight through 6 innings

6 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 R, 12 K

1-2, 2B, 1 RBI; hitting .556 on the season

Edited 6 minutes ago by zamboni
Update:

7 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 R, 15 K (50 K on the season in 26 IP)

1-3. 2B, 1 RBI; hitting .500 on the season *SLUMP*

I see you’re a Jets fan too. Just the opposite here. Mets and Giants fan here. 

Rangers at least?

Nope...Devils and the Nets.

Damn.  Cosmos?
Shep Messing, F.T.W. 

back in the day, geographic majority fan lines used to be drawn as such - 

Manhattan/Bronx/North Jersey/Southern Connecticut/Westchester: Yankees, Jints, Knicks, Rangers

Staen Island was Switzerland. 

Brooklyn/Queens/the Eyelind/Yonkers: Mets, Jets, Nets, Icelanders (used to have the Sets, as well - a WTT outfit ... Billy Joel never had a "NEW YORK SETS" song, though).

now, these are not hard and true 100%, so i get that there were enough outliers to cite - but i do recall the Post or the News polling this chit back in the late 70s/early 80s. 

who could argue with our tabloids? or D ick Young?

🎱

(used to have the Sets, as well - a WTT outfit ...
I remember watching them as a little kid - Billie Jean King was their star. Some serious rivalry with the Boston Lobsters.

Don’t forget about the roller derby New York Chiefs. Also a big name in NY sports back then.

I remember watching them as a little kid - Billie Jean King was their star. Some serious rivalry with the Boston Lobsters.
😅

that name is brilliant - i should've paid more attention ... i was too wrapt up in the juggernaut that was the Phoenix Racquets (Chrissy ❤)

Don’t forget about the roller derby New York Chiefs. Also a big name in NY sports back then.
hop into the wayback machine with me to circa '75, and i'm about to turn it on in a few minutes ... Saturday mornings on Channel 9, baby (WWOR) - that was some AWA rasslin' style of play they had, to boot ... hair pullin', knees to the crotch (the announcers loved saying that ... CROTCH!), i even saw the ol' Verne Gagne/Killer Kowalski stomach grab employed ... but no biting of the turnbuckle - had to wait 'til 11 p.m. for that with LUCHA LIBRE on channel 41.

Nolan Ryan would have struck out 8000 facing todays batters.
I’m as boomer as the next guy but I don’t agree here. There are a lot more guys that throw in the high 90s these days, so batters are able to adjust to that speed. Not saying Ryan wouldn’t still be a HOF pitcher, but no one got close to his velocity back then. DeGrom has the velocity and the pinpoint accuracy and movement.

I’m as boomer as the next guy but I don’t agree here. There are a lot more guys that throw in the high 90s these days, so batters are able to adjust to that speed. Not saying Ryan wouldn’t still be a HOF pitcher, but no one got close to his velocity back then. DeGrom has the velocity and the pinpoint accuracy and movement.
I agree with everything except batters adjusting.  My point is that so many batters are swinging for the fences, that it's helping all these pitchers look better.

I'm 54.  The two best pitchers I've ever seen were 1985 Gooden and prime Sox Pedro Martinez.  deGrom has passed Gooden and is in the discussion with Pedro right now.  We could be watching a really special season here with this start.

I'm 54.  The two best pitchers I've ever seen were 1985 Gooden and prime Sox Pedro Martinez.  deGrom has passed Gooden and is in the discussion with Pedro right now.  We could be watching a really special season here with this start.
I like that they shortened the rotation to keep deGrom on his usual rest.

I agree with everything except batters adjusting.  My point is that so many batters are swinging for the fences, that it's helping all these pitchers look better.
I figured this is your point. It's a valid one. Advanced statistics showing strike outs aren't that bad. If only Adam Dunn would have been born ten years later...

Strikeouts are up every year because the batting approach has changed. Thats what hes talking about.

I think Randy Johnson and Clemens belong on that list with them.

Agree that this could be a year of something special, though.

Users who are viewing this thread