What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combined 100 from 81 and 82 *top song* Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
I was going simply do a next 100 from 81 but didn't like the 'quality' of tunes left at the top or bottom.  I begin with songs from October of 80 but have my first exception and will include one special artist from September of 80 going all the way through 82.

I have had a RL complication where I'm the primary care giver of an elderly parent  who suffered a stroke so my time is limited but I wanted to kick this off.

Once I get my combined list in order it will go quick but I'll dribble out a tune or two at the bottom of the list till I get that organized.

100. Joan Armatrading - Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky

99. The Blasters - The Blasters - I'm Shakin'

98. Jimmy Buffett - The Weather Is Here I Wish You Were Beautiful

97. Billy Vera and the Beaters - At This Moment

96. Joe Jackson - Beat Crazy

95.  John Lennon - Woman

94. Van Morrison - Scandinavia

93. Bob Seger - Roll Me Away

92.  The Blues Brothers - Green Onions

91.  Loverboy - The Kid Is Hot Tonight

90. Phil Collins - Behind the Lines / This Must Be Love

89.  The Eurythmics - Belinda

88.  Don Felder - Heavy Metal

87.  ELO - The Way Life's Meant To Be

86.  Terri Gibbs - Somebody's Knocking

85.  Split Enz - 6 Months in a Leaky Boat

84.  Glenn Frey - The One You Love

83.  Prince - Little Red Corvette

82.  Ronnie Milsap - I Wouldn't Have Missed It For The World

81.  Paul McCartney - Take It Away

80.  Marshall Crenshaw - Cynical Girl  /  Mary Anne

79. U2 - I Fall Down / I Will Follow

78.  Joe Jackson - Jumpin' Jive  (entire album)

77.  Talking Heads - Cross Eyed and Painless

76.  Dire Straits - Tunnel Of Love

75.  Todd Rungren - Bang The Drum All Day

74.  Steely Dan - Babylon Sisters

73.  Delbert McClinton - Giving It Up For Your Love

72.  AC/DC - Hells Bells

71.  Rolling Stones - Slave

70.  The Police - Canary in a Coal Mine

69.  Loverboy - Turn Me Loose

68.  James Taylor - Her Town Too

67.  Steve Windwood - Night Train  / Second Hand Woman

66.  Michael Stanley Band - He Can't Love You Like I Love You

65.  John Lennon - Watching the Wheels  / Starting Over

64.  Stevie Wonder - Did I Hear You Say You Love Me

63.  The Police - Invisible Sun

62.  The Who - Another Tricky Day

61.  Donald Fagen - IGY  / Ruby Baby

60.  Michael Jackson - Thriller

59.  John Lennon - Beautiful Darling Boy

58.  Earth Wind and Fire - Lets Groove

57.  RockPile - Teacher Teacher

56.  Donnie Iris - Ah Leah

55.  Moody Blues - The Voice

54.  Heart - Tell It Like It Is

53.  Rolling Stones - Tops

52.  Tom Petty - A Woman  In Love

51.  Steve Winwood - Arc Of A Diver

50.  Dire Straits - Espresso Love

49.  The Fixx - Red Skies

48.  Joe Jackson - A Slow Song

47.  Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Starting Something

46.  Joe Jackson - Cancer

45.  The Pretenders - Cuban Slide

44.  Jefferson Starship - Find Your Way Back

43.  The Who - Don't Let Go Of The Coat

42.  David Lindley - She Took Off My Romeos

41.  Joe Jackson - Chinatown

40.  Bob Seger - Tryin' to Live My Life Without You

39.  Steve Winwood - While You See A Chance Take It

38.  Fleetwood Mac - Can't Go Back

37.  *Van Halen - Pretty Woman from >>The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

36.  Joe Jackson - Target

35.  Haircut 100 - Fantastic Day

34.  Santana - Hold On

33.  Warren Zevon - Let Nothing Come Between You

32.  Donald Fagen - New Frontier

31.  IceHouse - Hey Little Girl  /  Great Southern Land

30.  Joe Jackson - Real Men

29.  Michael Jackson - Beat It

28.  David Lindley - Mercury Blues

27.  Eric Clapton - I Can't Stand It

26.  The Pretenders - Talk Of The Town

25.  Steve Winwood - Spanish Dancer

24.  Pete Townshend - Rough Boys

23.  Roxy Music - Avalon 

22.  Michael Stanley Band - Lover

21.  Steely Dan - Time Out Of Mind

20.  Stevie Wonder - I An't Gonna Stand For It

19.  Santana - Body Surfing

18.  Joe Jackson - Another World

17.  Bruce Springsteen - Hungry Heart

16.  The Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime

15.  Kenny Loggins - Heartlight

14.  The Rolling Stones - Heaven

13.  Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science

12.  Pete Townshend - Slit Skirts

11.  Steely Dan - Hey 19

10.  AC DC - Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

9.  The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me

8.  Blondie - The Tide Is High

7.  The Police - De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

6.  The 52s - Living In Your Own Private Idaho

5.  Dire Straits - Skateaway

4.  Michael Jackson - Billy Jean

3.  Blondie - Rapture

2.  AC DC - Back In Black

1.  Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting with an artist who blew me out of the water the first time I heard her with Drop The Pilot.  Such a happy up-tempo tune with the energy of getting shot out of a cannon.  This tune highlights the angelic voice of Armatrading.  Its a bit anachronistic but really hits the time of the early 80s.  

It sounds like Hans Zimmer did the keyboard work.

100.  Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky

99.  The Blasters - I'm Shakin'

An 80s LA bar band that few have heard of.  My brother had a tape of them and I really liked a few tunes.  I used to play this one on the radio and still love it.

Starting with an artist who blew me out of the water the first time I heard her with Drop The Pilot.  Such a happy up-tempo tune with the energy of getting shot out of a cannon.  This tune highlights the angelic voice of Armatrading.  Its a bit anachronistic but really hits the time of the early 80s.  

It sounds like Hans Zimmer did the keyboard work.

100.  Joan Armatrading - I'm Lucky
Joan has long been very underrated IMO. Very much a pioneer for a lot of female performers that have followed her.

98.  Jimmy Buffett - The Weather Is Here I Wish You Were Beautiful

"Where's my per diem?"

Buffett was a god to stoner ski bums back in the 80s.  I was working up at the top of a ski area back in the early 80s when Jimmy was living in Colorado.  A ground swell happened and a bunch of the ski area workers put together a package of about $83 dollars a bottle of tequila and some ski passes and took out an ad in the local  newspaper as a plea for Buffett to show up and do an impromptu concert.  

Unfortunately Jimmy was a no-show.  This was all before the Parrot Head thing began taking root.  

Fun times. 

97.  Billy Vera and the Beaters - At This Moment

Released in 81 on a small label and did nothing.  Made it on the TV show Family Ties and became a hit as it was released a few years later.

Trivia, Michae J. Fox married his love interest on the show in real life Tracy Pollan, they've been together ever since even through his battle with Parkinson's disease.

Really nice tune.

Released in 81 on a small label and did nothing.  Made it on the TV show Family Ties and became a hit as it was released a few years later.

Trivia, Michae J. Fox married his love interest on the show in real life Tracy Pollan, they've been together ever since even through his battle with Parkinson's disease.

Really nice tune.
Great scene from Family Ties.

Vera also had a few acting roles, including a short stint as a gambler/loan shark in Beverly Hills 90210.

Really nice tune.
I thought it was a top-20 song in a loaded year.  Played this song a lot at weddings.  

95. John Lennon - Woman

In high school my best friend became a huge Beatlemaniac and I soon followed.  We even went to Beatle imitation band concerts.  By 1980 we were full-fledged nuts and that is when John happened.  I was watching Monday Night Football

I remember girls walking to school in weeping with radios playing Beatle tunes.  One week before it happened John Bonham the drummer from Led Zepplin died.  The first class someone had written on the chalkboard.

Rock and roll is dying

That really hit me.

Two-fer

90. Phil Collins - Behind the Lines / This Must Be Love

Talk about ubiquitous.  Phil Collins was a few years from jumping the shark back when he put out Face Value so these tunes weren't overplayed at the time, they were fresh and its been so long sine I've heard them that I can stomach hearing them again and actually kinda like em.

Phil did get over-exposed during Live Aid when he appeared on both continents.  At that point collectively everyone seemed to have had enough but early 80s Phil?  He was new and unique.

89.  The Eurythmics - Belinda

The Eurythmics were a big part of 81/82 for me after moving to Colorado as a teen to work at a ski resort.  

I confess I wasn't familiar with this tune at the time but its not bad.
Interesting- I don’t really know any of their material prior to them hitting the scene with “Sweet Dreams”.

88.  Don Felder - Heavy Metal

This song is a test to see if people really came from the 1980s.  Me and my buddies caught the midnight debut of the animated R movie and it was pretty cool at the time.  

This tune got a decent amount of air play in the 80s so it should be familiar.  
We established in the 1982 thread that this is no "Open Arms".

Glad you picked this one over the similarly-titled Sammy Hagar tune - this one is much better IMO. Can clearly hear Don Henley on background vocals. Timothy B. Schmit is there too.

We established in the 1982 thread that this is no "Open Arms".

Glad you picked this one over the similarly-titled Sammy Hagar tune - this one is much better IMO. Can clearly hear Don Henley on background vocals. Timothy B. Schmit is there too.
Yes, I thought for years it was an Eagles tune.
The Eagles documentary from a few years back was really good. Really delved into the acrimony in the band, and Felder was in the crosshairs of it with Glenn Frey in particular.

Timothy B. Schmit is there too.
He was the Forrest Gump of music there for a while. 

Poco, Eagles, even some time with Toto and Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band (legend has it he coined the term "Parrothead").  Plus backing contribution to "Southern Cross".

He was the Forrest Gump of music there for a while. 

Poco, Eagles, even some time with Toto and Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band (legend has it he coined the term "Parrothead").  Plus backing contribution to "Southern Cross".
Yeah, he’s probably in the second tier with Jim Peterik and Neil Giraldo behind our lord and savior Steve Lukather.

85.  Split Enz - 6 Months in a Leaky Boat

Have to confess a pleasant surprise, I had no idea Split Enz did this tune.

I really like this song.
I used to live with a girl from New Zealand so its all coming together on why I LOVE this song so much.

She must have played it and it went over my head but Split Enz are/were a NZ group and in this song one of the lines is:

Aotearoa
Rugged individual
Glisten like a pearl
At the bottom of the world

Aotearoa is the native Māori name for New Zealand.  The Māori were some of the most fearsome indigenous people on the planet.  The NZ ruby team is world renown for being the all-time best and they begin every match with their famous haka 

(forgot to add that the haka was a pre-war ritual used by the Māori to intimidate whoever they were at war with and it was so effective that many times the opponent would give up or run away.)

I've dominated my FF league for decades and after winning multiple championships used to post vids of the famous NZ All Black haka to symbolize sheer dominance.

It all goes back to that gorgeous girl from NZ who looked like Jacqueline Bisset 

Users who are viewing this thread