What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combined 100 from 81 and 82 *top song* Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet (1 Viewer)

12.  Pete Townshend - Slit Skirts

Right as he came out with the tune Rough Boys he also came out with Slit Skirts as his marriage was on the rocks as drinking became an obsession.  I would imagine the issues are linked to the meaning of the former song.
All the Best Cowboys... has a ton of songs that I identified with during my Lost Years when my first wife left me and I drank too much. I was the same age as Townshend was when he wrote those songs, and was going through many of the same things (though not the Rough Boys kind of stuff). 

11.  Steely Dan - Hey 19

Hey Boomer. 

Somebody had to break it to you so lets cushion the blow using self satire to explain that you that you aren't a kid anymore.  This ain't 67 and your date doesn't know The Queen and has no clue that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.  

Tied Steely Dan's longest running hit with Peg and Ricki Don't Lose That Number.

10.  AC DC - Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Warning, this song will get lodged in your head all day, smile.

Not just another battle cry rock anthem.  Although it was written in 15 minutes as a filler at the last minute because the label wanted a 10th song on the record it became an over looked hit. 

Luv the opening that starts slow and builds with a vengeance of pounding guitars and screeching vocals. 

Lead singer Brian Johnson recalled “I’ll never forget the start of it. I went into the recording booth, the intro starts and I hear: ‘Brian, it’s Mutt. Could you say something over that?" He starts to repeat the lyrics loudly, head tilted slightly back: “‘All you middle men throw away your fancy clothes…’. For some reason middle men were in the news at the time, the top guys weren't getting the blame and the workforce weren't getting it either, it was the middle men who were this grey area. I must have picked up on it and it just went from there.” During the intro, Brian lights a cigarette and takes a pull from it.

You can hear a click of a lighter on the track before he takes a drag on the cigarette.

The last song on the album after singer Bon Scott's death but isn't a swam song, it is a notice they weren't done.

Malcolm explained at the time, "I thought, 'Well, f--k this, I'm not gonna sit around mopin' all f--king year.' So I just ran Angus and said, 'Do you wanna come back and rehearse?'"

Rock 'n' roll ain't gonna die

9.  The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me

Sting was a teacher but this isn't autobiographical.  

Vladimir Nabokov wrote the book Lolita and Sting does a ham fisted rhyme of Nabokov with 'cough' and calls himself out on it.

After being criticized for rhyming shake and cough with Nabokov, Sting replied, "I've used that terrible, terrible rhyme technique a few times. Technically, it's called a feminine rhyme – where it's so appalling it's almost humorous. You don't normally get those type of rhymes in pop music and I'm glad!"

Hmm, I did not know this.

In 1985, Sting worked with Dire Straits on "Money For Nothing," which has a chorus that sounds very similar to this (compare the lines "Don't stand so close to me" with "I want my MTV"). Sting did not want a songwriting credit, but his record company thought he should get one so they could receive royalties.

Last edited by a moderator:
8.  Blondie - The Tide Is High

A cover of a 1967 reggae song by the Paragons

Blondie wanted the ska band The Specials to sing backup but they declined.

John had a thing for this tune.

In a 2006 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Sean Lennon said: "My father had an old Wurlitzer in the game room of our house on Long Island. It was filled with 45s, mostly Elvis and The Everly Brothers. The one modern song I remember him listening to was 'The Tide Is High' by Blondie, which he played constantly. When I hear that song, I see my father, unshaven, his hair pulled back into a ponytail, dancing to and fro in a worn-out pair of denim shorts, with me at his feet, trying my best to coordinate tiny limbs."

7.  The Police - De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

My favorite Police tune.

Sting stole the title from a family member and 'fears' a lawsuit, jk.

The phrase "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" supposedly was made up by Sting's son. Sting said of this, "In fact, my son came up with it. I've never paid him – so that's another possible lawsuit. He writes songs himself these days. He's got a lot of self-confidence – I don't know where from."

In spite of a toddler making baby talk title Sting correctly claims their is more to the song.

Sting claims that people who dismiss this song have not bothered to listen to the lyrics. He said in a 1981 interview with the NME: "Certainly what we're producing is not elitist High Art: But; equally; I think entertainment's an art. I think my songs are fairly literate - they're not rubbish. 'De Do Do Do', for example, was grossly misunderstood: the lyrics are about banality, about the abuse of words. Almost everyone who reviewed it said, 'Oh, this is baby talk.' They were just listening to the chorus alone, obviously. But they're the same people who would probably never get through the first paragraph of Finnegan's Wake, because that's 'baby talk' too."

6.  The 52s - Living In Your Own Private Idaho

Traveling to Craters of the Moon National Park with a nephew and I told him to find this tune, he'd never heard it before but had heard Rock Lobster and told me this sounded exactly the same.  No, this is not their most popular tune but thee 52s song IMHO.

There's an interesting history lesson built into the lyrics, "swimming 'round and 'round like the deadly hand of a radium clock." In the 1920s, the radioactive element radium was used to paint the dials of glow-in-the-dark watches. The women who painted the radium onto the dials would put the brushes in their mouths and get them to a point for the delicate application. This lead to a high rate of cancer, and a 1928 lawsuit that led to a settlement for the girls.  Also some of the very first atomic power plants were located in the remote regions of Idaho.

5.  Dire Straits - Skateaway

Dire Straits broke out with Sultans of Swing and would go nuclear a few years later with Money For Nothing but they established themselves as legit  with the album Making Movies. 

Skateaway was the tune.

At the start of the 80s something new entered the music scene, MTV with a limited repartee of over produced hair bands. 

People were starting to reject whatever music was becoming and wanted something real, one of the life rafts in a sea of mediocrity was Dire Straits.  A band MTV could not destroy.

She tortures taxi drivers just for fun

4.  Michael Jackson - Billy Jean

In my lifetime Elvis was on the decline before I was born, the Beatles broke up when I was a kid, but I got to see the rise of Michael Jackson to heights no other musical artist has or probably will come close to.

The story behind the song is that Michael came home to find a woman lounging by his pool and accused him of fathering her twins. 

Rick James and Prince were rejected by MTV but Jackson on the strength of Billy Jean broke out and was in high rotation allowing other black artists airplay on MTV.  It was the first time we saw the Moonwalk which took down the house at Motown's 25th anniversary performance where it was performed live for the first time.  Awesome moment.

MTV didn't suddenly come to their senses, they were threatened by Michael's record company.  Walter Yetnikoff, the president of Jackson’s record label CBS, threatened MTV that he’d go public with their stance on race: I said to MTV, ‘I’m pulling everything we have off the air, all our product. I’m not going to give you any more videos. And I’m going to go public and ####### tell them about the fact you don’t want to play music by a black guy.’

Quincy Jones wanted to change the name because he thought people would confuse it with the tennis player but Michael didn't change it.  Then Quincy didn't like the long into and wanted to shorten it but Michael kept it because he said it made him want to dance.  Then Quincy didn't like the bass line and didn't want it on Thriller.  Michael kept it on the album.

Ranked on the top 500 songs of all time and as high as #6 on the greatest pop songs.

3.  Blondie - Rapture

First number one rap song ever in the US.  Debbie Harry has said many rappers, including the Wu-Tang Clan and Mobb Deep, told her it was the first rap song they ever heard.”

Debbie Harry knew about Grandmaster Flash since 1977. “She said, ‘I’m going to write a rap about you on my next record.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, right, And about five or six months later, ‘Eatin’ cars and.. eat up bars.. and Flash is fast, Flash is cool.’ She kept her word.. “I was introduced. So now …white people and people of other colors were, ‘Who is Flash?’ So she tremendously opened the door.” Grandmaster Flash told the Daily News

And some trivia I never knew but check it out...

If you listen carefully to the lyrics, you might hear something naughty. Shortly before the rap, there is a line that sounds a lot like "Finger F--king." Most lyric sheets list this line as "Finger Popping."

2.  AC DC - Back In Black

The band got the idea for the title before writing any of the song, although Malcolm Young had the main guitar riff for years and used to play it frequently as a warm-up tune. After Bon Scott's death, Angus Young decided that their first album without him should be called Back In Black in tribute, and they wrote this song around that phrase.

They were certainly not going to do a ballad, so it fell on Brian Johnson to write a lyric that would rock, but also celebrate Scott without being morbid or literal.

Johnson says he wrote "Whatever came into my head," which at the time he thought was nonsense. To the contrary, lines about abusing his nine lives and beating the rap summed up Scott perfectly, and his new bandmates loved it.  Johnson channels Scott over Angus Young's monster riff. Forget the hearse, 'cause he'll never die. The black cover is also in tribute.

Second highest selling album of all-time after Thriller.

Dire Straits broke out with Sultans of Swing and would go nuclear a few years later with Money For Nothing but they established themselves as legit  with the album Making Movies. 

Skateaway was the tune.

At the start of the 80s something new entered the music scene, MTV with a limited repartee of over produced hair bands. 

People were starting to reject whatever music was becoming and wanted something real, one of the life rafts in a sea of mediocrity was Dire Straits.  A band MTV could not destroy.

She tortures taxi drivers just for fun
A top-3-5 song for me.  The roller skater in the video was the daughter of the president of Nigeria. She died pretty young herself.

Bracie Smathers said:
11.  Steely Dan - Hey 19

Bracie Smathers said:

This is a great run of songs.

"On the ground like a wild potato." Is one of those lyrics that makes me laugh every time I hear it, don't know why. I know plenty think it's "underground" and not "on the ground" but that's the way I hear it. :shrug:

A top-3-5 song for me.  The roller skater in the video was the daughter of the president of Nigeria. She died pretty young herself.
I saw a different story on the 'Roller Girl', saying she was a 'musician'.

From Wikipedia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skateaway

The song was accompanied by a video that was popular on MTV, featuring musician Jayzik Azikiwe (1958-2008) as Rollergirl, though she was credited as Jay Carly in the video directed by Lester Bookbinder.

---------------------

Not sure if Jay Carly was/is the daughter from Nigeria but anything Nigeria related might swing into sending large amounts of cash and access to a bank account.

The song was accompanied by a video that was popular on MTV, featuring musician Jayzik Azikiwe (1958-2008) as Rollergirl, though she was credited as Jay Carly in the video directed by Lester Bookbinder.

---------------------

Not sure if Jay Carly was/is the daughter from Nigeria but anything Nigeria related might swing into sending large amounts of cash and access to a bank account.
She went by that name in England, must have been a stage name.  I don’t know if the video is on YouTube , it wasn’t for a very long time.

She went by that name in England, must have been a stage name.  I don’t know if the video is on YouTube , it wasn’t for a very long time.
The video's in Bracie's post. Always enjoy the shots of the band awkwardly standing around in that little room she just vacated.

---------------------

A little more about her - https://www.last.fm/music/Jayzik/+wiki

Good mix of songs in the list.  :)

But 2 AC/DC songs in the Top 10 was 2 too many for me.

I just can't listen to that screeching.  :excited:

The top song was Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits.  

This song was inspired by Mark Knopfler's broken romance with Holly Vincent, who was the leader of the band Holly And The Italians. Some of the lyrics indicate that Knopfler felt she used him to boost her career.

The line, "Now you just say, oh Romeo, yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him," came from an interview where Holly Vincent was quoted as saying: "What happened was that I had a scene with Mark Knopfler and it got to the point where he couldn't handle it and we split up."

How can you look at me as if I was just another one of your deals?

When you can fall for chains of silver you can fall for chains of gold

The song is strong, foundational strength referencing the Bard, the Angels tune My Boyfriends Back, and another degree of separation from the original play by Shakespeare by also referencing the song Somewhere from the movie West Side Story which was based on the play.  

The song opens on an arpeggiated resonator guitar which would not have sounded out of place back in the time of Romeo and Juliet.

Knopfler was known more as of a storyteller than unveiling his emotions but this tune raw with emotion.  

Its a song you can fall in love with and I fell, LOVE this tune.

Great stuff, Bracie. I may try to throw out a few also-rans that didn’t make your, Tim’s or Andy’s lists.
Here are a few that qualified for my list that didn't make it.

In no order.

Van Morrison - Cleaning Windows

Tom Petty - Thing About You

Alan Parsons - Games People Play

Phil Collins - Missed Again  /  No Reply At All

The Commodores - Oh No

The Police - When The World Is Running Down / Driven To Tears

Juice Newton - Queen Of Hearts

Ronnie Milsap - Smokey Mountain Rain / Theirs No Getting Over Me

Dan Fogelberg - Hard To Say / Same Old Lang Syne

The Outlaws - Ghost Riders In The Sky

Loverboy - When Its Over

Fun Boy Three - The Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum

Little River Band - The Night Owl

The Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why 

Awesome thread. Making Movies is still heavily in my rotation, both Skateaway and Romeo are in my top 20ish songs I think. I can't get bored of them. Loving AC/DC this high as well. 

This song was inspired by Mark Knopfler's broken romance with Holly Vincent, who was the leader of the band Holly And The Italians. Some of the lyrics indicate that Knopfler felt she used him to boost her career.

The line, "Now you just say, oh Romeo, yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him," came from an interview where Holly Vincent was quoted as saying: "What happened was that I had a scene with Mark Knopfler and it got to the point where he couldn't handle it and we split up."

The song is strong, foundational strength referencing the Bard, the Angels tune My Boyfriends Back, and another degree of separation from the original play by Shakespeare by also referencing the song Somewhere from the movie West Side Story which was based on the play.  

The song opens on an arpeggiated resonator guitar which would not have sounded out of place back in the time of Romeo and Juliet.

Knopfler was known more as of a storyteller than unveiling his emotions but this tune raw with emotion.  

Great tune. Knopfler plays his beloved 1937 National steel guitar on this track. The same guitar that is featured on the cover of "Brothers In Arms".

They make videos showing a record being played. Wtf?????

ETA- My kids think I'm nuts when I put on a LP and just sit there and look at the album cover or the liner notes. They love YouTube videos, so I'll have to show them this one.
Somewhere out there is a vinyl addict who watches the video with the sound turned down.

I made a mistake by not adding what may be my top overall bit of music trivia for a group that made this list multiple times and that would be Steely Dan.

I would imagine that somewhere on these boards that someone has unearthed the origin of the name Steely Dan.

Fagan and Becker had been in a number of short lived bands so they cynically decided on the name from an excerpt in William S. Burroughs novel Naked Lunch.  Here’s the excerpt from the book that mentions Steely Dan.

Go to the LINK since its NSFW.

Thanks for your effort Bracy, I know from a lot of drafts what an effort it is.

:hifive:

Canada's Tom Cochrane and the boys. 🇨🇦

The song was later used in "Vision Quest" and an episode of "Miami Vice".
Amazing factoid about Red Rider that I just learned from Wiki:

“(Bass player Jeff) Jones performed with Alex Lifeson and John Rutsey in the first incarnation of Rush, serving as the primary singer and bassist in the summer of 1968”

My favorite Dire Straits song.....

I love it too.

Looks like Holly wasn't all that successful.

Maybe she should have tried harder with Knopfler.

👀

Careful, I remember Zamboni jumping down my throat when I said the same thing like 12 years ago.
I haven’t slept since. Actually I don’t remember saying that, which is another symptom of getting old. 

Does sound like it was influenced a bit by “Young Lust” 

Users who are viewing this thread