What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Challenges Of A Forum With A Business (1 Viewer)

One other observation: it seems like every board longs for the “good old days”, lamenting those who no longer post. Or maybe just every board I frequent? 🤔
I think this is right - Cappy or someone mentioned that message boards like this are dying everywhere.  Young people just aren’t interested.  I think Joe and his team do a really good job balancing things and making this a community to be proud of.  I can’t imagine how badly I would screw up moderation - none of us are perfect and the fact that they make the effort to understand some things goes a long way.  

I think this is right - Cappy or someone mentioned that message boards like this are dying everywhere.  Young people just aren’t interested.  I think Joe and his team do a really good job balancing things and making this a community to be proud of.  I can’t imagine how badly I would screw up moderation - none of us are perfect and the fact that they make the effort to understand some things goes a long way.  
I wouldn't disagree with this. I definitely don't think I'd somehow be so much better at running things. No easy answers 

Joe, I appreciate you starting this thread and getting some feedback.

Based on what I've read...  here are a few simple suggestions.

1) If a mod feels a suspension is worthy of more that 48 hours, they should spend an extra 5-10 minutes to get the full context of what's going on before making a final decision. You may say they don't have that time, but I disagree as people are leaving when they get 7+ day TO's for schtick type comments.

2) If someone has three TO's of 48 hours or less, the next TO's are at least 7 days. Then 14 days, etc...  Unless something is so bad that it warrants whatever you think appropriate for major type offenses. Kinda like how repeat offenders in the nHL get longer suspensions.

This gives both sides a set of rules to follow.  Consistency is often talked about a lot in these types of threads.

Following up on something I mentioned earlier, the "be way more cool" treatment works. Maybe follow it up with a two or three day ban to allow for a little self-reflection.  

Keep it simple and save the severe treatment for the habitual offenders - except for stuff beyond the pale; and certain awesome posters from Bakersfield.

Just got off a lengthy ban.  Personally I thought the length was quite excessive but it is what it is.

I will say I didn’t miss this place as much as I thought I would (I would pop in to just read it occasionally) but I did miss not being able to join in certain discussions (Cake baseball draft, Kentucky derby thread)

Just got off a lengthy ban.  Personally I thought the length was quite excessive but it is what it is.

I will say I didn’t miss this place as much as I thought I would (I would pop in to just read it occasionally) but I did miss not being able to join in certain discussions (Cake baseball draft, Kentucky derby thread)
Sorry you missed Sheep, GB.

Am I the only one getting this error:

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now. 

Access denied for user 'Mfootguy'@'172.31.15.200' (using password: YES)

:oldunsure:

It is continuously popping up.

Also, that damn Mfootguy needs better password security.  In 2021, how can anybody use a word like "YES" as a password?  Our IT guys would roll over in their graves if they knew people could choose such a weak password.

Also, that damn Mfootguy needs better password security.  In 2021, how can anybody use a word like "YES" as a password?  Our IT guys would roll over in their graves if they knew people could choose such a weak password.
I made this joke in GMTAN - should have checked here first.

I did a self-imposed 3 month ban of myself once because I saw how bad @rockaction's dynasty roster was.  Had to cleanse the palette a bit after that one.
It got worse after the draft, Scott. :cry:   I'd invite you to read all about it on my blog that I'm starting this year, but I don't want to upset your palette.

I wish I would have noticed this thread when it was happening.  

I got a four month suspension for doing a laugh reaction like to one of Joe's posts the day before the election where he was overreacting to some news and saying he was going to vote for Jorgensen.   

But on another note.  I reported a poster the other day who always seems to constantly be bringing down the level of discourse.   I think a joke about lesbian hair is way more tame than what he posted (and it wasn't in jest), but mods give ME a warning and tell me to have thicker skin.  

It's bizzaro world to me.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Invision board hosts had an issue with their database blocking some access. I had it too. 

@Memphis Foundryresolved it. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Followed by:

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now. 

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later. 

Try again

But on another note.  I reported a poster the other day who always seems to constantly be bringing down the level of discourse.   I think a joke about lesbian hair is way more tame than what he posted (and it wasn't in jest), but mods give ME a warning and tell me to have thicker skin.  

It's bizzaro world to me.  
Looks like the last post you reported was someone who posted:

"Liberals: and then a grasshopper (cricket?) emoji"

In my opinion, that's not something worth reporting another poster over and asking the moderators to run down. Please don't do that. Thanks. 

Invision board hosts had an issue with their database blocking some access. I had it too. 

@Memphis Foundryresolved it. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Followed by:

An error occurred (500 Error)

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later. 

Try again
Are you saying you are still getting the error? Apologies if so and I'll ask Keith to look again. 

Also - please use the other thread in the FFA to let us know if you're seeing tech trouble like the error message.

This thread was mostly for me listening to folks on what they were hoping for with moderation Thanks. 

It was a cockroach, dude.  

How is saying all your political foes are roaches less worse than pointing out one celeb has a dikey haircut? 

####### madness. 
It looked like a grasshopper.

The actual post you reported was:

Liberals:  🦗
Please don't do that. In trying to give shorter suspensions, I'm just going to ask you to please be more cool. Thank you. 

Users who are viewing this thread