What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Napa wineries (1 Viewer)

1a.  Schramsberg

1b.  Darioush

I was just there two weeks ago, and these were by far the highlights for us.  Schramsberg is a long-time favorite I've visited before, but Darioush was new to me.  They were far and away the best experiences we had.  I can send you info on the people who did our tastings and maybe you could hook up specifically with them so you know you'll have the full experience.  I bought a lot of wine at both (Schramsberg is having a $0.01 shipping special which makes it even more dangerous).  There are other terrific wineries, of course, but these were the best in terms of experience plus wine quality.

Another must-do for me is to picnic at V. Sattui.  They have a huge upscale deli and gigantic picnic grounds, so it's lovely.  This time I did an official tasting there, too.  Their wines are pretty good for the price, but the tasting isn't that special so I don't think it's a must.  I'd say just go and buy a bottle (or two) and a whole mess of food and enjoy the picnic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah... I’ll find the threads when I get a chance
:shock:

Not finding them either. I live in Sonoma County and am a level 1 somm. @Quint Will be able to be much more specific with winemakers and vineyards

I like those mentioned by Krista, but would add that V. Sattui is more of an experience than producers of great wine.  If you prefer, go straight to the reserve tasting room.  Also owned by them is Castillo de Amaroso which is pretty fun.

I do not know your price points and preferences but (for Napa):

Silver Oak

Singnorello

Minor

Nickel & Nickel

Trefethen

Odette

Peju

Provenance

Pride Mountain

Cakebread

Duckhorn

Orin Swift

Domaine Carneros

While I understand the draw to Napa, I typically advise friends to visit Sonoma, Russian River (Healdsburg), and the Alexander Valley

Not finding them either. I live in Sonoma County and am a level 1 somm. @Quint Will be able to be much more specific with winemakers and vineyards

I like those mentioned by Krista, but would add that V. Sattui is more of an experience than producers of great wine.  If you prefer, go straight to the reserve tasting room.  Also owned by them is Castillo de Amaroso which is pretty fun.

Silver Oak

Singnorello

Minor

Nickel & Nickel

Trefethen

Odette

Peju

Provenance

Pride Mountain

Cakebread

Duckhorn

Orin Swift

Domaine Carneros

While I understand the draw to Napa, I typically advise friends to visit Sonoma, Russian River (Healdsburg), and the Alexander Valley
Yes, as I mentioned I wouldn’t go to V. Sattui for the wines.

I’d heartily second Silver Oak, Peju, and Orin Swift.  The only on your list that I’ve been to and wouldn’t really recommend is Domaine Carneros.  I just find it too big and faceless and not a great, personal experience.  However, I did go this time to do an interesting pairing they had, which was Mexican food “bites” with their bubblies, and that was very cool.  I think they’re changing the cuisine every month, but if you see one that appeals, then I think that could be worthwhile.

Alpha Omega is a fantastic experience and the view from the backside is beautiful.

Promontory is an extreme splurge, but far and away the best tasting experience I've ever had and their cab may be the best in California (it's a Harlan estate). Worthy of a special occasion or anniversary.

Silver Oak

Singnorello

Minor

Nickel & Nickel

Trefethen

Odette

Peju

Provenance

Pride Mountain

Cakebread

Duckhorn

Orin Swift

Domaine Carneros

Really good list.  We had connections with cellar masters and did Groth, Hall, and Amizetta on our last trip.  Hall is big but it was good.  Nickel and Nickel right down the road.  Amizetta was a beautiful setting overlooking the valley.

Yes, as I mentioned I wouldn’t go to V. Sattui for the wines.

I’d heartily second Silver Oak, Peju, and Orin Swift.  The only on your list that I’ve been to and wouldn’t really recommend is Domaine Carneros.  I just find it too big and faceless and not a great, personal experience.  However, I did go this time to do an interesting pairing they had, which was Mexican food “bites” with their bubblies, and that was very cool.  I think they’re changing the cuisine every month, but if you see one that appeals, then I think that could be worthwhile.
My favorites for sparkling are Roederer (philo), Schramsberg, Iron Horse (Sebastopol), J vineyards (though I also like their still)... used to like Etoile, 

Silver Oak

Singnorello

Minor

Nickel & Nickel

Trefethen

Odette

Peju

Provenance

Pride Mountain

Cakebread

Duckhorn

Orin Swift

Domaine Carneros

I am actually still considering Russian River or Sonoma, but my gf wants to do the tasting/riding experience at Shadybrook. 

I am generally willing to pay for a great tasting experience. 

Probably a preference for cabs, but we drink a pretty wide spectrum. 

1a.  Schramsberg

1b.  Darioush

I was just there two weeks ago, and these were by far the highlights for us.  Schramsberg is a long-time favorite I've visited before, but Darioush was new to me.  They were far and away the best experiences we had.  I can send you info on the people who did our tastings and maybe you could hook up specifically with them so you know you'll have the full experience.  I bought a lot of wine at both (Schramsberg is having a $0.01 shipping special which makes it even more dangerous).  There are other terrific wineries, of course, but these were the best in terms of experience plus wine quality.

Another must-do for me is to picnic at V. Sattui.  They have a huge upscale deli and gigantic picnic grounds, so it's lovely.  This time I did an official tasting there, too.  Their wines are pretty good for the price, but the tasting isn't that special so I don't think it's a must.  I'd say just go and buy a bottle (or two) and a whole mess of food and enjoy the picnic.
Darioush is a good call

Cakebread and Grgich Hills are ones I’ve liked for a while

We did a group wine and cheese pairing at Rombauer that was awesome

If you’re into sparkling wine, Mumm has a beautiful location and has a nice tasting experience (and a good tour if you’re into that sort of thing)

1a.  Schramsberg

1b.  Darioush

What tasting did you do at Darioush? 

Silver Oak

Singnorello

Minor

Nickel & Nickel

Trefethen

Odette

Peju

Provenance

Pride Mountain

Cakebread

Duckhorn

Orin Swift

Domaine Carneros

Not a sommelier, but for me Sonoma is a much better experience. Less crowded, cheaper, less likely to need a reservation (might be different in COVID times).  Good news is they’re right next to each other so you can split up your trip and hit both. If you’re into the prestige, big name wineries, spend a day in Napa. If you want to find equally great wines that aren’t as well known, explore Sonoma 

This is coming from a guy who prefers pulling a winemaker off a tractor to open his tasting room than a well choreographed wine and food pairing in an impeccably manicured estate, while appreciating both experiences. 

been in the biz a long time.  it's been a while since i've been to napa.  that being said, i find the huge producers tastings tedious and not very fun.  i'm just headed to bed.  i'll add more tomorrow.

@krista4 i'm not allowed at darioush anymore.  ended up, mostly naked, in the fountain.  good times
Seems overly prudish of them.  

I will be out there this summer.  My gf will be taking a level iii test for WSET cert. and we will spend a few weeks in the area.  Haven't decided exact locations yet, so this thread is perfect. 

Been looking into doing a trip out there, I don't drink nearly as much as I used to so the trip might be as much wine touring as more activity based touring. 

1a.  Schramsberg

1b.  Darioush

I mean those are 100/bottle places, are they expecting you walk out with a 1000 tab?

@Drunken Cowboy

Also, the area is heavily policed and has a high % of DUIs.  Don't put yourself in a bad position. 

I have the advantage of being in the heart of it and over the years my best experiences have been finding a few that your really like and being able to linger with staff talking about the wines and vineyards.  There is no need to do a blitz. Do 1-2 in the morning. Grab a nice lunch somewhere and see where you are... maybe 1-2 more afterwards.  Left turns can be a bear, so you may want to plan accordingly (wineries on the east side first, then west side on the way back)... whatever

Another smaller one that was small but is growing that produces rhones (I love white rhone) is Anaba.. nearby is Cline, jacuzzi (italian varietals), Viansa (italian varietals) and gloria ferrer (sparkling). 

What tasting did you do at Darioush? 
We just did a basic one as it was our first time there - "Signature Mezze," which also came with some delicious little snacks.  It's just four wines, but our guy ended up pouring us several extras that weren't on the official tasting.  Their signature wine is Cabernet Sauvignon (though all we had were outstanding), so this should be a good place for you, and you might think about the "Discover Darioush II" tasting.

@Drunken Cowboy

Also, the area is heavily policed and has a high % of DUIs.  Don't put yourself in a bad position. 

I have the advantage of being in the heart of it and over the years my best experiences have been finding a few that your really like and being able to linger with staff talking about the wines and vineyards.  There is no need to do a blitz. Do 1-2 in the morning. Grab a nice lunch somewhere and see where you are... maybe 1-2 more afterwards.  Left turns can be a bear, so you may want to plan accordingly (wineries on the east side first, then west side on the way back)... whatever

Another smaller one that was small but is growing that produces rhones (I love white rhone) is Anaba.. nearby is Cline, jacuzzi (italian varietals), Viansa (italian varietals) and gloria ferrer (sparkling). 
Couldn't agree more about not blitzing.  I've done that in the past, and this time decided only to hit 2-3 per day, and it was a much better (and safer) experience. 

Wish I'd checked in here before I went.  Some of these recommendations, like Anaba, are intriguing.  There's always next time!

Not a sommelier, but for me Sonoma is a much better experience. Less crowded, cheaper, less likely to need a reservation (might be different in COVID times).  Good news is they’re right next to each other so you can split up your trip and hit both. If you’re into the prestige, big name wineries, spend a day in Napa. If you want to find equally great wines that aren’t as well known, explore Sonoma 

This is coming from a guy who prefers pulling a winemaker off a tractor to open his tasting room than a well choreographed wine and food pairing in an impeccably manicured estate, while appreciating both experiences. 
When do you leave? 

That's what we did last time. Still subscribe to Bella's club.

We loved staying at the Fairmont Mission Inn and are considering the same, but trying to visit more Napa side (at least Orin Swift)
Was inspired to do some additional digging around last night since the wife wants to go back to wine country for her first post-covid trip. Indian Springs Calistoga looks really nice for lodging, may target that instead so we can be closer to a lot of the Napa wineries 

When do you leave? 
Already did, been living in an AirBnB in Eugene since the 4th.  I was back in Novato last weekend (got our second shots on Friday and went to the MC v Redwood football game on Saturday).

Back on topic for the thread, I went out to Ledson on Sunday to pick up a wine club shipment - that place is pretty sweet, one of my favorites.  

I agree on Sonoma.  The Dry Creek Festival is phenomenal.  Will be booking this again next year

https://www.drycreekvalley.org/events/passport-dry-creek-valley/

Already did, been living in an AirBnB in Eugene since the 4th.  I was back in Novato last weekend (got our second shots on Friday and went to the MC v Redwood football game on Saturday).

Back on topic for the thread, I went out to Ledson on Sunday to pick up a wine club shipment - that place is pretty sweet, one of my favorites.  
I am not far from Novato. Let me know if you ever want to get together 

I'm going to focus on less "standing at a tasting bar with 100 of your closest friends" places and more "experience" places. Though I can't speak to what wineries are doing during COVID, some of our favorites pre-COVID:

Tour and tasting at Chappellet is just awesome, though they no longer pour the Pritchard Hill (and rarely the cab franc) like they used to. If you get to the end without tasting the Las Piedras, ask if they have one open that you could try. Always one of my favorites.

The seated tasting/food pairing at Robert Sinskey is excellent. It's always great to have a little something to pair with your wine, and they do a great job of walking you through what you're drinking, why it pairs with something on your plate, etc. This was when we were in a small group. We went back with a large group, and the woman leading ours was not pouring tastings. She was pouring glasses. It ended up being like a visit to Del Blotto. Not complaining, but by the end we were not tasting. We were drinking. They offer several options. We did the Eat Drink RSV, iirc. :wub:  their POV and Cab Franc

If you're a pinot noir fan, the cave tour and tasting at Failla is worth a stop.

If you just want to chill at a picnic table and have some fantastic wines, Matthiasson is worth a visit. In the immortal words of @Genedoc, buy all the sweet vermouth they will sell you. Seriously. I'm running low, and I need more. We always end up busting it out for small pours at the end of the night when we've had people over. Everyone loves it. Especially the Brits, for some reason.

If you want a completely different experience from typical Napa, with more French influence, everything Y. Rousseau makes from the Colombard to the Cabernet is really approachable. And then there's the Tannat, which you aren't going to find many places in Napa. But it's one of my favorite little-found varietals, and he does it as well as any I've had. Approachable is no the word I'd use, though. Yannick is a very gracious host. I mean, he's no @Quint. But he's pretty great for a Frenchman.

If you make your way to Sonoma, I'm firmly of the belief that Loxton has the best value wines in the region, and Chris Loxton is just a fantastic human being. It's the one wine club I will probably never leave. The Estate and Rossi Ranch Syrahs are :moneybag: . The Lot 15 is going to be really good in a few months, but you have to be in the wine club to buy it. 

I'm sure we'll go back to Napa at some point, but for the cost difference, this I can not recommend enough:

Fly into Santa Barbara. 

Drive to Santa Ynez. Stay here. They have breakfast in the morning. They have wine and charcuterie happy hour in the evenings. They have a tasting passport, which gets you comped tastings at a list of wineries (under Wine). They've removed a few of our favorites, it appears, but Stolpman, Sunstone, and Zaca Mesa are well worth your time. I can make some other winery recommendations in the area if anyone ever does this. I'm sure others here can, as well (Buttonwood, Vincent, Babcock, Carr, Beckmen come to mind).

Grab lunch here one day, and while you're there you might as well grab a tasting at Alma Rosa (though the wines are a little pricier than most in the area, the tasting room is quaint). While you're at Stolpman, grab lunch here one day, and shop their wine room. They have a great selection and much better deals than you'll find at the wineries. Make a reservation for dinner one night here. You'll want the reservation, and the food is excellent. It's the "can't miss" food option in SY, imo. 

If this doesn't charm the smallclothes off your S.O., I don't know what to tell you. You're doing it wrong. 

Could say the same for a stay at Dolphin Bay Inn, a trip up to the tasting rooms in Avila Beach or down to the Foxen Canyon Rd wineries.

Or a long weekend up in Mendocino County. 

I enjoy the opulence, the familiarity, and the wines of Napa/Sonoma, but the value and charm you can get elsewhere is appealing to me (Though I suppose there's nothing value about Dolphin Bay anymore. You still can't beat that view from the balconies).

alrighty, lets see what i can dig out of the way back machine.  

of all the bigger name brands, i think far niente is the best tour.  it's gorgeous, you get some yummy little snacks,  the car garage is a nice break.  plus, the dulce cave!

the views from silverado are stunning

chateau montelena is another gorgeous property

if you can get into the hall property above auberge de soleil, it's awesome.  the chandelier room is ridiculous.

trefethen, duckhorn, ehlers estate, darioush, alpha omega, all have treated me well

i prefer the properties, not on the valley floor, simply for the views.

for something different, prager is fun.  it's tiny, mostly port.  right off hwy 29

avoid opus one.  unless you like art, want to waste 2+ hours and don't want more than 3/4 a glass of wine.

try to get a private tour, whenever possible. 

I'm even having a hard time with the logistics, is it normal to want to pick a few hotels to drop between, like Napa->Sonoma->???

Is there any sign of California giving up all the Covid stuff yet?  I'm a little nervous to book if they get twitchy and still push people to care about all that a little too much.

thanks @Bob Sacamano and @Drunken knight for the shout out! 

@Drunken Cowboy - good to learn about your trip to Napa, and happy to provide recommendations based on your preferences, e.g. experience, type/style of wine, price point, etc. 

already some great recommendations in this thread, specifically: 

Amizetta - solid wines, cool property, good tour (ask for Ryan as your host if you're there M-F)
Promontory - definitely on the "high end" side of things and worth it
Nickel & Nickel - great experience top to bottom
Domaine Carneros - gotta start the day with some bubbles!
Jarvis - it's been a while since i've visited, and the wines were good to very good and the cave tour is cool

I will add my recommendations to this thread later this afternoon - i'm hosting a tour & tasting at our winery in a couple of minutes. A couple of things to focus on: 

- all tours, tastings, visits in Napa and Sonoma should be by reservation only (i'm sure there are some places skirting sliding the rules). due to this, reservation requests - especially for weekends - are a virtual tidal wave right now. be sure to get your requests in sooner than later once you have your plans in place

- some wineries will be hosting indoors, some will be outdoors. this depends largely on the color of the tier the County is in, and if they are serving a meal as part of the tasting experience. 

Is a designated driver at $50 an hour driving your own rent car the going rate?

How does that work with insurance of the rent car?

@Drunken Cowboy

One the questions I wanted to ask was how is it to get Uber/Lyft around 

thanks @Bob Sacamano and @Drunken knight for the shout out! 

@Drunken Cowboy - good to learn about your trip to Napa, and happy to provide recommendations based on your preferences, e.g. experience, type/style of wine, price point, etc. 
We would be looking for longer experiences. I am fine visiting a small number of places and getting to learn about the wine. I drink about everything, but not much a fan of sweet wines. We are happy to spend for a good experience. We don't drink them everyday, but we don't mind a $100 bottle.  

Users who are viewing this thread