What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prenups (1 Viewer)

Let me talk through the SAHP thing. My wife is brilliant, and a hard worker. She has a top tier MBA now, and she likes her career. She find fulfillment in it. However, given that I started 3 years before her (we're in the same industry), I'll make double her salary until I leave or until she also makes partner and the gap closes somewhat. All the research we've done says one major reason why women default to SAHP roles is because men make more money and the best financial choice for the family is therefore man work woman home. If she gets put into SAHP because of that, then 10+ years later she could have had this massive earning power that's been short circuited (same for me). 

I find less fulfillment from work. I really enjoy teaching and I love basketball (my prior career). If I become the SAHP because I can coach at a local school or university, I never want to look back if something disastrous were to happen and think "Damn, if I'd kept working, I'd have $x instead and could retire and have more freedom." Because if we have kids and I become the SAHP, it's likely that 5 years of me working would have accumulated enough that I think I could retire forever. Those five years of income would be my peak earning years. 
As an aside, these two paragraphs make it sound like you should leave your job - your wife will be earning big bucks soon enough, and there is a potential career you love, for which you are qualified. If/when you have kids, you can be the SAHP. Not sure if you live in OK, but the cost of living probably doesn’t mandate two ambitious, high earning professionals, and job satisfaction is ultimately more important for one’s quality of live.

Not only that, if things go south, your prenup protects you. 😉

Heard this stat the other day and had to look it up to make sure it was true and it is.

10 countries with highest divorce rate

Are ya kidd'n me?

The main reason is a crippling housing shortage and no new building/space to build so couples are forced to rent at exorbitant cost putting them in a sort of slavish existence which would place undo stress on any relationship.

The US is heading down a similar path with housing and disparity of wealth.

We have a problem

The United States of America has the 5th highest divorce rate in the world.   
It’s interesting to me that some of those countries require a certain time together as a married couple and/or living separately before divorce is granted. I mean, I understand why divorce shouldn’t be an impulsive decision, but do you really need to live apart 3 years before legally moving on?

As an aside, these two paragraphs make it sound like you should leave your job - your wife will be earning big bucks soon enough, and there is a potential career you love, for which you are qualified. If/when you have kids, you can be the SAHP. Not sure if you live in OK, but the cost of living probably doesn’t mandate two ambitious, high earning professionals, and job satisfaction is ultimately more important for one’s quality of live.

Not only that, if things go south, your prenup protects you. 😉
That's kind of the plan right now. I like my current job, it's just not a life mission or anything. We live in Dallas. 

Current plan is to probably work ~5 more years, and if we keep up our current saving rates until then I'll likely retire and be full-time parent/guest lecture at some b-schools for a while until whatever piques my interest becomes a next step.

another thing that a pre-nup does is educate the couple on what the laws are regarding dissolution if the marriage somehow doesnt make it.....I have so many clients that have been married for decades and are shocked when I explain to them the equitable distribution and support laws.....its like clicking accept terms that you never read except its for your life savings and property....everyone should know and understand the rules when entering into what is essentially a social contract controlled by the state you live in.  

Users who are viewing this thread