What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Davis Mills, HOU (1 Viewer)

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline passes along that the Chicago Bears could target Stanford QB Davis Mills on Day 2.

Pauline hears that -- surprise surprise -- the Bears are desperate for a top signal-caller. Sitting at pick No. 20 in the first round, Chicago is well outside the range for one of the top-five quarterbacks in this class. And that positioning makes a trade up into the top-10 all the more tricky. If the Bears are unable to pull something off early at quarterback, that's where Mills would potentially come into play, as an upside Day 2 option. CBS Sports' Chris Trapasso actually mocked the Stanford signal-caller to Chicago with the No. 52 pick earlier this spring, a scenario which is very much in play barring a trade up.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 16, 2021, 12:03 PM ET

In his latest mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. projected the Washington Football Team to select Stanford QB Davis Mills with the No. 51 pick.

Kiper writes that he would feel far more comfortable taking Mills on Day 2 -- as is the case in this mock -- rather than on Day 1. He cites a lack of games played in college (just 14 games; that would be the fewest by a drafted quarterback in the last 15 years) and inconsistency on the field for his slightly muted view on Mills, noting that the signal-caller would benefit from being brought along in slow fashion. CBS Sports' Chris Trapasso sees matters in a very similar light. In his own recent mock draft, he also had Mills off the board on Day 2 -- to the Bears at pick No. 52, one pick later than Kiper's projection.

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Apr 13, 2021, 1:54 PM ET
In his latest mock draft, CBS Sports' Chris Trapasso projected the Chicago Bears to select Stanford QB Davis Mills with the No. 52 pick.

That would be midway through the second round. Mills (6'4/212) is one of the more intriguing second-tier quarterback prospects in this draft class, with both ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah high on the Stanford signal-caller as a sleeper prospect. Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline is a little more cautious in his own assessment, noting that issues with decision-making cap his evaluation. Pauline stamps Mills with a Round 3 grade, but acknowledges that Round 2 is not out of the question. Mills is vying for draft positioning with Kellen Mond and Kyle Trask, the two other quarterbacks realistically in play to be drafted once the big boys have had their Day 1 moments in the spotlight.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Apr 7, 2021, 1:51 PM ET
NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah wrote to social media that Stanford QB Davis Mills "plays with poise."

DJ opens his little scouting report on Mills by noting that the 6-foot-4, 212-pound Stanford signal-caller "doesn't wow you," before ramping up with some positive traits. In addition to Mills' composure, the analyst is keen on the quarterback's "very quick feet" and his ability to shift in the pocket under pressure, even without possessing real upside as a running threat. And Jeremiah likes Mills' arm talent, too. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. earlier this spring tagged Mills as his sleeper quarterback, but at this juncture, it's probably difficult to justify that term -- the draft community is very much awake when it comes to Davis Mills, who could land as a Day 2 prospect.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Mar 18, 2021, 1:48 PM ET
ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. tagged Stanford QB Davis Mills as his "sleeper" at the position.

Kiper is quick to cite Mills' arm talent, frame and ceiling as intriguing while noting that the 6-foot-4, 212-pounder would be served best by landing with a team which has the luxury to develop him off the bench for a season or two before potentially pushing him into the starting fire. Kiper also writes that due to a lack of college starts -- just 11 -- Mills is being viewed as a project at this point. Occasionally projects work out (Josh Allen and Dak Prescott, for instance) but just keep in mind that the road to the NFL is paved in failed project quarterbacks. The reality of the position is that teams are simply not patient enough, generally speaking, to put in the time necessary to develop quarterbacks who still need real work. The NFL tends to move too quickly for patience.

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Mar 3, 2021, 12:50 PM ET

Jim Nagy sees Davis Mills, Kellen Mond climbing up NFL Draft boards

Excerpt:

It is no surprise that Mills and Mond are seeing their draft stock rise. Both players were productive in college and have all the attributes to high-impact NFL players. Mills played at Stanford and dealt with injuries. He can make all the throws and has a strong arm that appeals to NFL teams.

This season, Mills completed 66.2% of his passes. He threw for 1,508 yards and seven touchdowns. He led Stanford to a 48-47 double-overtime victory in December where he eclipsed 400 passing yards. While he tossed three interceptions, Mills is careful with the football.

He also played under Stanford head coach David Shaw. He is well-coached and NFL scouts believe that Mills helped himself with a dynamic pro day.

“He answered the bell,” NFL Network draft insider Daniel Jeremiah said. “A lot of pressure on Davis Mills with a limited number of starts (11), no combine, no all-star game opportunities, this was his one shot, and I thought he crushed it," Jeremiah said. “He crushed it from the testing numbers that we got, and I thought it was a clean, really pure throwing session that he put on in the rain. The day could not have gone any better for Davis Mills.”

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that league "chatter" is swirling around Stanford QB Davis Mills as a potential first-round selection.

Mills (6'4/212) has been "massively rising up boards" according to Pauline, who hears that the New England Patriots could be the team to watch for a relatively early selection of the Stanford signal-caller. Just not at the No. 15 pick. Two scenarios to watch for with this one -- either New England could trade down in the first round and take Mills (trading down is very much motus operandi for the outfit) late on Day 1, or they could trade up from the second round with the same result. Chicago and Washington have also been linked to Mills, though Pauline does not believe either club would pony up a first-round selection for the quarterback.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 26, 2021, 1:44 PM ET

Texans selected Stanford QB Davis Mills with the No. 67 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Mills (6’4/216) was a five-star recruit who only started 11 games (6-5) in college because of a lingering knee injury and K.J. Costello’s presence. He only has 18 passing touchdowns to his name, and he didn’t look fully trusting in his knee which led to sloppy mechanics and overthrown passes. To this point, Mills is a total project based on theoretical in-pocket ability and quality arm strength, and it’s unclear if his medicals were cleared by all teams. A fully healthy Mills would be able to pick up first downs as a scrambler in the pros, but he only had 86 rushing yards as a Cardinal. Some teams believed Mills would have been a first-round pick if he had another year in college. NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah reported "everyone in the league" expects Deshaun Watson has played his final snap with the Texans. Mills will open training camp behind veterans Tyrod Taylor and Ryan Finley, but he could find his way into starts if Watson is traded or suspended.

Apr 30, 2021, 9:50 PM ET

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein

Here is my NFL scouting profile for Davis Mills. He has the ingredients to be an NFL starter but injury and a lack of experience create additional uncertainty.

Deshaun is officially finished as a Texans QB. Unofficial, but you know.
https://twitter.com/lancezierlein/status/1388309066292899843?s=21

Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein

Davis Mills is a prototypical pocket passer with size and a lively arm. He was top-rated, 5-star QB coming out of high school but injuries have reallyset him back. He's been a full-time starter in just one season and decided to come out early. Upside but needs development
https://twitter.com/lancezierlein/status/1388309970215743490?s=21

The problem with Davis Mills is that the Texans are very likely making a top 3 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft if Deshaun Watson misses games or is traded.

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss said Texans QB Davis Mills "should play at some point" in the 2021 season. 

Reiss argues Tyrod Taylor is the team's best option to start Houston's doomed 2021 campaign because his scrambling ability will allow him to extend plays behind a shoddy offensive line and his veteran leadership will prove valuable on a team full of inexperienced players on short-term deals. But Taylor is likely to cede starting duties to Mills after the Texans' season is officially a wash, in hopes the team can evaluate the rookie signal caller in game action. Taylor, of course, has been benched in each of his past three teams -- last year losing the Chargers' starting job to Justin Herbert after a team doctor punctured Taylor's lung with a painkiller shot. Taylor's lack of downfield aggression could deflate Brandin Cooks' fantasy upside. A mere 6.4 percent of Taylor’s throws as Buffalo's starter were more than 20 yards downfield, according to Sportradar, about half the rate of Deshaun Watson. It would be borderline shocking if Taylor started half of Houston's games in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Tyrod Taylor

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 18, 2021, 8:54 AM ET

Can you say opportunity? 
Perhaps, but it's hard to get excited about a QB on that team right now.  Not to be short sighted, because dynasty isn't about one year, but man, that team sucks.  I can see them drafting a Rattler or Howell in 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with Davis Mills is that the Texans are very likely making a top 3 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft if Deshaun Watson misses games or is traded.
Seems like a safe bet since they were a top 3 pick with Watson.

Put fantasy aside I still think Davis Mills was a really solid draft pick by Houston even if most people I pay any attention to are mainly critical of the pick.

Main issue I've had is a few keep pointing out that the Texans had other needs and way I see it when you are this bad and no you are not a contender you don't draft for need. You got an opportunity to get him some playing time and evaluate a player who for all we know could be have been a first round pick if he'd returned to school next year. Whether he hits or not you can still draft another QB with the bounty of picks they'll have but if he does pan out you got options. This team needs almost everything, taking a shot on a 3rd round QB who if he pans out is the kind of swing for the fences relatively cheap shot I'd be down for any team I was rooting for  that is currently rolling out Tyrod Taylor at QB taking.

Picked him up in the 4th/5th round of a couple SF rookie drafts. I can hold until September at least and see if there is anything to see. 

This is a nice end of draft what the hell. If he looks awful in camp it’s an easy cut but you at least know with the draft capital and terrible QB’s around him they’re going to give him a shot. If he’s good he should be able to float this year with Cooks, Cobb, Collins, DJ and Lindsey. Situation is awful but it’s a cheap stab in the dark. 

Texans signed QB Davis Mills to a four-year, $5.2 million contract. 

Houston took Stanford's Mills with the 67th pick in the 2021 draft. Some teams believed Mills, 22, would have been a first-round pick if he had another year in college. He's nearly certain to get significant playing time in what will be a lost 2021 season for the Texans. Tyrod Taylor isn't long for the team's starting job, either due to poor play or the Texans being compelled to see what they have in their rookie QB. Mills is only draftable in deeper superflex formats this summer. 

RELATED: 

Tyrod Taylor

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Alex McGough changed his Twitter to be Texans QB and Hawks are trying out Sean Mannion. 

Why? How? But? Yeah I don't know either

The Athletic's Aaron Reiss said rookie QB Davis Mills has struggled in training camp. 

Reiss said "Mills’ camp has so far included a lot more bad plays than impressive ones. He often looks slow to process during more competitive periods of practice, and he’s turned the ball over at some point on most days." An inexplicable third round selection by Houston, Mills is in line for significant regular season playing time in 2021. His rough training camp could mean Tyrod Taylor will stay under center longer than first thought though. Neither Houston quarterback is worth drafting this summer outside of deep superflex formats. 

RELATED: 

Tyrod Taylor

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 6, 2021, 8:27 AM ET

Texans head coach David Culley confirmed QB Davis Mills will start in Week 3 against the Panthers. 

Mills was shaky in place of Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) last week against the Browns. The rookie completed eight of 18 attempts for 102 yards, a touchdown, and a pick. Mills, who appeared oblivious to oncoming rushers for much of his Week 2 appearance, makes Carolina's defense an elite Week 3 option in all formats. The Texans should be forced to drop back quite a bit against a Carolina secondary that most recently shut down Jameis Winston and the Saints. 

RELATED: 

Tyrod Taylor

, Deshaun Watson

SOURCE: Aaron Reiss on Twitter 

Sep 21, 2021, 12:05 PM ET

I wish he would have got the nod before Justin Fields, just to really get the Bears fans going. 

The best hope for us Cooks guys is an early blowout, really bad performance by Mills, and Driskel to Cooks in garbage time.

just chuck it, Brandin's down there somewhere

funny thing is though, Tyrod is a lousy. fit for a field stretcher....but he made it work.

Mills is very, very inexperienced since he left h.s., injury plagued.

but he has good fundamentals in his setup and a decent arm.

he's never had production and he looked bad in preseason (no surprise), but I could see him maturing into a long time journeyman

probably not happening tonight though, eh

This guy got some pre-draft hype, but I kind of liked him for my Skins/WFT if he dropped enough. Ended up going way too high for my liking. 

He’s a decent prospect but he’s of course going to get murdered tonight.

With everyone under the sun predicting CAR to put up monster def fantasy points tonight, I suspect it might go completely the opposite and this random lanky rookie is gonna go off tonight for 300+ and 3+ TDs. Such wide consensus is prone to rip your face off reversals.

LawFitz said:
With everyone under the sun predicting CAR to put up monster def fantasy points tonight, I suspect it might go completely the opposite and this random lanky rookie is gonna go off tonight for 300+ and 3+ TDs. Such wide consensus is prone to rip your face off reversals.
I can’t agree more.  That’s how my fantasy pendulum tends to swing.

Users who are viewing this thread