What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car insurance (1 Viewer)

Drunken Cowboy

Footballguy
I think I am going to be shopping for new insurance. Is anyone actually happy with their coverage?

I have State Farm. They suck, but they are cheap. My GF has USAA. She recently had an accident and I can't believe how bad they have been. They are totaling the car, which seems crazy. Their valuation process has been nearly criminal. They came up with a price that wouldn't get you a comparable car with 50000 more miles on it. We sent a listing of every comparable within 50 miles and they all justified at least $3000 more. They came back with a new list of comparable that is crazy cherry picked, some are 300 miles away.

We have been talking about getting on the same plan. It will not be USAA.

Huh.  USAA usually the best in breed at everything.  Was going to switch over to them but now?  Concerned.  

I use MetroMile because it's cheap, but they recently raised rates and have read horrible things about them when it comes time to claims.  

Guess what I'm saying is.... :Seahorn:

Huh.  USAA usually the best in breed at everything.  Was going to switch over to them but now?  Concerned.  

I use MetroMile because it's cheap, but they recently raised rates and have read horrible things about them when it comes time to claims.  

Guess what I'm saying is.... :Seahorn:
Until this wreck, I was thinking I was going to switch to USAA. Not a chance now. Terrible customer service. Ridiculously slow. Their 1 approved body ship in town was shady.  

Body shop manager here...

State Farm and Geico are the two worst insurance companies to deal with on my end.  Never really had a problem with USAA..

My favorite big company would be Allstate.. Favorite over all would be Auto Owners..  

Body shop manager here...

State Farm and Geico are the two worst insurance companies to deal with on my end.  Never really had a problem with USAA..

My favorite big company would be Allstate.. Favorite over all would be Auto Owners..  
I know State Farm is terrible on your end. I had a wreck 10ish years ago and State Farm made the Body Shop owner's life a nightmare. It also slowed down the repair by doing so. State Farm is mediocre at best on the customer end, but they are cheap. 

I have had Progressive for like 12 years or something. In that time, I've had 2 or 3 times where I needed to get body repair done to a car. Both times, they were excellent. Got me right to a body shop, helped me get a rental car, etc.

I also use them for my home owner's insurance (underwritten by someone else) and they have been very good for that also.

I'm sure a lot of people hate Progressive. But I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

I've had State Farm forever. I should probably shop around but have never spent much time doing so. I have had a few car accident claims unfortunately and everything went ok. I did have a repair that took a long time but I assumed that was the garage and not State Farm. Haven't had any house claims. 

Weird. I've had State Farm since I was 16, now they insure my home too. Never had a problem other than some waffling on whether or not to total my wife's new car after a bad wreck, which they ended up doing.

I have also worked on the other end of the spectrum,  albeit as a contractor working on homes that have suffered smoke, fire, water or mold damage. SF was easily the best large insurance company to deal with.

Around my parts though, they aren't all that cheap.

I think I am going to be shopping for new insurance. Is anyone actually happy with their coverage?

I have State Farm. They suck, but they are cheap. My GF has USAA. She recently had an accident and I can't believe how bad they have been. They are totaling the car, which seems crazy. Their valuation process has been nearly criminal. They came up with a price that wouldn't get you a comparable car with 50000 more miles on it. We sent a listing of every comparable within 50 miles and they all justified at least $3000 more. They came back with a new list of comparable that is crazy cherry picked, some are 300 miles away.

We have been talking about gettinng on the same plan. It will not be USAA.
Threaten them, they pay to fix the car. You do not have to take their lowball offer. They will not fix the car and you probably don't

want them too, but that is the process you go through. 

i've had state farm forever, should probablyly shop around.

only claim was on the homeowners.  had to jump through some hoops.  but it was easy enough.  :knocksonwood:

no help, i know.  

Threaten them, they pay to fix the car. You do not have to take their lowball offer. They will not fix the car and you probably don't

want them too, but that is the process you go through. 
I get about $1800 over the initial offer. They move so slow (I am sure purposely) that it isn't worth continuing. 

I get about $1800 over the initial offer. They move so slow (I am sure purposely) that it isn't worth continuing. 
Fight to get the value up on the car.  Cars are going up in price. New cars are in shortage from the Manufacturer (I work at a dealership and it is getting harder to get new inventory so it turn the used inventory and prices paid at auctions are going up).  You should have no issue getting market value.

Fight to get the value up on the car.  Cars are going up in price. New cars are in shortage from the Manufacturer (I work at a dealership and it is getting harder to get new inventory so it turn the used inventory and prices paid at auctions are going up).  You should have no issue getting market value.
I was in an ATV/Motorcycle dealer the other day and they barely had any inventory. 

I should have no issue, but I did. Hence looking for a new company. 

Have had Farmer's and Geico and had no issues working with them.

Geico doubled my premium this year for some reason and switched to Metromile (I am WFH and probably average 150 mi/mo. 250 in a heavy month. Premium was cut more than half. If they raise my rate dramatically down the road, I'll probably look at Geico again.

Sounds very strange and not my experience with USAA.  They've always been very fair.  I did have to negotiate the value of a vehicle with them but it went smoothly and we came to terms.  I wouldn't give up.  You are ultimately in the driver's seat. They want the claim closed.  Open claims always cost more.

And, speaking as someone who has had the unfortunate experience of being on the wrong end of a very large lawsuit I would not want anyone else in my corner. They made sure we were kept informed, involved in decisions, and they ferociously protected our best interests the entire way.  

As a USAA member, you want them to be fair but also to not overpay.  So they have to be cautious.  It is ultimately a member organization and it sure is nice to get that rebate check when things go well.  And let's not forget who led the charge on Covid auto insurance premium refunds.

I’ve been with USAA since the 90s. I added my youngest to our auto insurance last week when he got his license. Our 6 month jumped over $200 A MONTH to a total of $3664 for 6 months. WTF

Needless to say, I’m shopping around. Allstate looks to be over $200/month cheaper. I’ll look at Costco as well.

Last edited:
I'm with Amica. They just totaled my car due to hail damage (othewise it's fine). Their offer was very fair. I questioned one item on it and they gave me a very reasonable answer. I am selling the car to my daughter for the difference between keeping possession and turning the car over to them.

I’ve been with USAA since the 90s. I added my youngest to our auto insurance last week when he got his license. Our 6 month jumped over $200 A MONTH to a total of $3664 for 6 months. WTF

Needless to say, I’m shopping around. Allstate looks to be over $200/month cheaper. I’ll look at Costco as well.
I had USAA until i added my daughter on 3 years ago. We went to Progressive. The we’re about half as much to start. They have since doubled and we are actually back at USAA as of April. Seems you need to shop every year.

Young people are not good at driving, simple as. We don't even offer a product to under 25s as there is no way to make an offer that is both +EV to us and remotely affordable to the consumer. The majority of our products in our private car range even above 25 are telematics based, i.e. we send you a GPS box to put in your car, and while it has customer benefits in that it can automatically detect accidents and offer limited tracking in the case of theft, it also protects the insurer as the telemetry we get will tell us if you are crap at driving and how. It'll even tell you through an app, and if you continue to drive like an idiot we can just cancel the policy. No idea if that's a thing in the US or not

I had USAA until i added my daughter on 3 years ago. We went to Progressive. The we’re about half as much to start. They have since doubled and we are actually back at USAA as of April. Seems you need to shop every year.
Going through the exact same thing with the same companies for the same reason.

I have an independent agent that represents several companies. Over the last 30 years he has moved me a couple times to save money. Was ERIE, then Hanover, now car is Progressive but house is still Hanover. Whenever I have a claim, which has been several, I just call my agent and he handles it from there.

So is car insurance the new DirecTV where you have to wait for the rate hike to come and either threaten to move or just move? Rinse and repeat a year or two later.

I've had USAA for over 30 years. My most recent renewal went up over 25% from the previous year's policy. No accidents, no tickets.

Shopping now and I'm waiting for quotes from State Farm and Costco, maybe check out Progressive too.

I'd be curious to know what other people are paying but not even sure how to compare since coverage could be different. I pay $946 for myself.

I'd be curious to know what other people are paying but not even sure how to compare since coverage could be different. I pay $946 for myself.
3 cars. 2 new. Full coverage. Teen driver. NJ. Wife and I are around 1200 each. Kid 2500

~5k total

3 cars, 5 drivers (2x50 yr olds, 20, 18, 16 children all students).
USAA 6 month $3664
Allstate 6 month $2331 <-just switched to this

2021 VW ID4
2017 Nissan Rogue
2015 Ford Focus

3 cars, 4 drivers (50, 49, 19, and 17).
Allstate 6 month $2863.69

2023 Mercedes GLC 300
2021 Range Rover Evoque
2011 Hyundai Sonata

Considering what belljr is paying for his kid, those allstate quotes seem pretty good. Although if he's paying 2500 for his kid, it might not be that you'd pay double that if there's a 2nd kid assigned to just the same car. Wonder if that really would raise the rate that much b/c its still just the one car.

4 cars located in Florida, 4 drivers (49, 49, 21, and 18).
USAA 6 month $7,575.39 😲

2021 Hyundai Tuscon (18 year old female)
2019 Mercedes GLA 250 (49 year old cougar)
2018 Honda Civic Sport (21 year old male)
2016 Acura MDX (49 year old male)

30 years with USAA with no accidents or tickets and was just jacked up 25% to $7,575.39 for 6 months.

USAA 6 month $7,575.39 😲

2021 Hyundai Tuscon
2019 Mercedes GLA 250
2018 Honda Civic Sport
2016 Acura MDX

30 years with USAA with no accidents or tickets and was just jacked up 25% to $7,575.39 for 6 months.
:jawdrop:

USAA 6 month $7,575.39 😲

Stop. What the hell is that about? Is that just a Florida thing? Like hey there's no state income tax, but your insurance is gonna cost you a fortune.

USAA 6 month $7,575.39 😲

Stop. What the hell is that about? Is that just a Florida thing? Like hey there's no state income tax, but your insurance is gonna cost you a fortune.
Must include his homeowners too or something

Considering what belljr is paying for his kid, those allstate quotes seem pretty good. Although if he's paying 2500 for his kid, it might not be that you'd pay double that if there's a 2nd kid assigned to just the same car. Wonder if that really would raise the rate that much b/c its still just the one car.
Yeah I don't know how all that works tbh. It was more expensive when we got the 3rd car then when it was 2 for sure.

We have a 2020 Honda Passport, 2022 Accord and 2017 Civic...... The price also went up when I dumped my traverse to get the new car.

My price is for full year. FWIW

Yeah I don't know how all that works tbh. It was more expensive when we got the 3rd car then when it was 2 for sure.

We have a 2020 Honda Passport, 2022 Accord and 2017 Civic...... The price also went up when I dumped my traverse to get the new car.

Yeah, same. Might be just a NJ thing where you pay for the full year. Makes sense that price goes up the more expensive your car since over a third of premium at least for me is collision and comprehensive.

Last edited:

Yeah, same. Might be just a NJ thing where you pay for the full year. Makes since that price goes up the more expensive your car since over a third of premium at least for me is collision and comprehensive.
I'm sure I could find cheaper but I've been with NJM for like 20 years and have never had an issue with any claim etc. I'll pay a few hundred more for piece of mind

USAA 6 month $7,575.39 😲

Must include his homeowners too or something
LOL, I wish.

USAA 6 month $7,575.39 😲

Uh wtf dude

1996 Lexus LS400. Full coverage, $500 deductible. road side assistance included. Granted car is worth less than 10 grand. $680 a year with Geico.

Two adult drivers, two full coverage Hyundai Santa Fe. No tickets. $90 month, full coverage way more than state minimum.

USAA 6 month $7,575.39 😲

So, thanks to this thread, I just spent about 30 minutes on the Costco website entering my VIN's and current coverages and I was able to get a quote and bind coverage on a new 6 month policy for $3,142 instead of the $7,575 USAA jacked me up to. Thanks FFA!

2 drivers (47M, 19F), 3 SUVs (23,22,13). USAA $1500/6 months, switched from Progressive where they increased to $1800. 100/300/100, comprehensive on all, $500 deduct. Was originallly with USAA from 1992-2020, 2.5 years with Progressive.

I need to find new auto/home/umbrella carrier, where do I start? Online quote sites? Or an actual broker?

Users who are viewing this thread