Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

I think I am going to be shopping for new insurance. Is anyone actually happy with their coverage?

I have State Farm. They suck, but they are cheap. My GF has USAA. She recently had an accident and I can't believe how bad they have been. They are totaling the car, which seems crazy. Their valuation process has been nearly criminal. They came up with a price that wouldn't get you a comparable car with 50000 more miles on it. We sent a listing of every comparable within 50 miles and they all justified at least $3000 more. They came back with a new list of comparable that is crazy cherry picked, some are 300 miles away.

We have been talking about getting on the same plan. It will not be USAA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh.  USAA usually the best in breed at everything.  Was going to switch over to them but now?  Concerned.  


I use MetroMile because it's cheap, but they recently raised rates and have read horrible things about them when it comes time to claims.  

Guess what I'm saying is.... :Seahorn:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Huh.  USAA usually the best in breed at everything.  Was going to switch over to them but now?  Concerned.  


I use MetroMile because it's cheap, but they recently raised rates and have read horrible things about them when it comes time to claims.  

Guess what I'm saying is.... :Seahorn:

 

Until this wreck, I was thinking I was going to switch to USAA. Not a chance now. Terrible customer service. Ridiculously slow. Their 1 approved body ship in town was shady.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Body shop manager here...

State Farm and Geico are the two worst insurance companies to deal with on my end.  Never really had a problem with USAA..

My favorite big company would be Allstate.. Favorite over all would be Auto Owners..  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, playin4beer said:

Body shop manager here...

State Farm and Geico are the two worst insurance companies to deal with on my end.  Never really had a problem with USAA..

My favorite big company would be Allstate.. Favorite over all would be Auto Owners..  

I know State Farm is terrible on your end. I had a wreck 10ish years ago and State Farm made the Body Shop owner's life a nightmare. It also slowed down the repair by doing so. State Farm is mediocre at best on the customer end, but they are cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had Progressive for like 12 years or something. In that time, I've had 2 or 3 times where I needed to get body repair done to a car. Both times, they were excellent. Got me right to a body shop, helped me get a rental car, etc.

I also use them for my home owner's insurance (underwritten by someone else) and they have been very good for that also.

I'm sure a lot of people hate Progressive. But I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had State Farm forever. I should probably shop around but have never spent much time doing so. I have had a few car accident claims unfortunately and everything went ok. I did have a repair that took a long time but I assumed that was the garage and not State Farm. Haven't had any house claims. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird. I've had State Farm since I was 16, now they insure my home too. Never had a problem other than some waffling on whether or not to total my wife's new car after a bad wreck, which they ended up doing.

I have also worked on the other end of the spectrum,  albeit as a contractor working on homes that have suffered smoke, fire, water or mold damage. SF was easily the best large insurance company to deal with.

Around my parts though, they aren't all that cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

I think I am going to be shopping for new insurance. Is anyone actually happy with their coverage?

I have State Farm. They suck, but they are cheap. My GF has USAA. She recently had an accident and I can't believe how bad they have been. They are totaling the car, which seems crazy. Their valuation process has been nearly criminal. They came up with a price that wouldn't get you a comparable car with 50000 more miles on it. We sent a listing of every comparable within 50 miles and they all justified at least $3000 more. They came back with a new list of comparable that is crazy cherry picked, some are 300 miles away.

We have been talking about gettinng on the same plan. It will not be USAA.

Threaten them, they pay to fix the car. You do not have to take their lowball offer. They will not fix the car and you probably don't

want them too, but that is the process you go through. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i've had state farm forever, should probablyly shop around.

only claim was on the homeowners.  had to jump through some hoops.  but it was easy enough.  :knocksonwood:

no help, i know.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nightmare said:

Threaten them, they pay to fix the car. You do not have to take their lowball offer. They will not fix the car and you probably don't

want them too, but that is the process you go through. 

I get about $1800 over the initial offer. They move so slow (I am sure purposely) that it isn't worth continuing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

I get about $1800 over the initial offer. They move so slow (I am sure purposely) that it isn't worth continuing. 

Fight to get the value up on the car.  Cars are going up in price. New cars are in shortage from the Manufacturer (I work at a dealership and it is getting harder to get new inventory so it turn the used inventory and prices paid at auctions are going up).  You should have no issue getting market value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, snellman said:

Fight to get the value up on the car.  Cars are going up in price. New cars are in shortage from the Manufacturer (I work at a dealership and it is getting harder to get new inventory so it turn the used inventory and prices paid at auctions are going up).  You should have no issue getting market value.

I was in an ATV/Motorcycle dealer the other day and they barely had any inventory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, snellman said:

Fight to get the value up on the car.  Cars are going up in price. New cars are in shortage from the Manufacturer (I work at a dealership and it is getting harder to get new inventory so it turn the used inventory and prices paid at auctions are going up).  You should have no issue getting market value.

I should have no issue, but I did. Hence looking for a new company. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had Farmer's and Geico and had no issues working with them.

Geico doubled my premium this year for some reason and switched to Metromile (I am WFH and probably average 150 mi/mo. 250 in a heavy month. Premium was cut more than half. If they raise my rate dramatically down the road, I'll probably look at Geico again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds very strange and not my experience with USAA.  They've always been very fair.  I did have to negotiate the value of a vehicle with them but it went smoothly and we came to terms.  I wouldn't give up.  You are ultimately in the driver's seat. They want the claim closed.  Open claims always cost more.

And, speaking as someone who has had the unfortunate experience of being on the wrong end of a very large lawsuit I would not want anyone else in my corner. They made sure we were kept informed, involved in decisions, and they ferociously protected our best interests the entire way.  

As a USAA member, you want them to be fair but also to not overpay.  So they have to be cautious.  It is ultimately a member organization and it sure is nice to get that rebate check when things go well.  And let's not forget who led the charge on Covid auto insurance premium refunds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...